Vol. 3 Chapter 113: Tour & Princess Meetings
490 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the king’s office, the usual trio of him, the Crown Prince, and the Princess has assembled once again before dinner.

“So, the envoys told me they’re planning on touring the city tomorrow. Of course we’ll need guards for them.”

Eleden sighed. “Security detail must not be lacking. But we have plenty of knights we can rely on.”

“They requested to keep it to a minimum. Half will have to be imperial knights, and the rest are ours.”

“We’ll give them the most elites to avoid any incident. Won’t we need someone to lead them on a tour?”

“I was thinking it would be you.”

“Me?” Eleden winced. “No. You know how much I dislike them. Let Estevan handle it.”

The king thought about it for a moment. “I suppose he’ll do alright. Still, I’ll be more at ease if someone else looks after him. I’m up if you two go along.”

Eleden groaned. “Do I really have to?”

“Look after each other.”

“... If there’s no other choice...”

The two of them then turned towards Princess Estelia, who was quietly sitting on her chair, looking up at the ceiling as if in deep thought.

“D-Daughter? What are your thoughts on this?”

She slowly turned her head towards them. “That will do.”

“Oh, you’re actually listening.”

“Yes.”

“... Good.”

“Alistor first asked me to accompany him on going outside.”

Eleden frowned with a hint of displeasure. “He did?”

“But I refused.”

“That’s surprising. I expected you would agree after all that happened.”

“... It’s dangerous for me. I will not endanger myself for them.”

Leodoule noticed a shift in his daughter’s mood compared to last time. Right now, she was more serious than ecstatic. He couldn’t understand what led to this change. Perhaps her enamor had dissipated. Or perhaps she found something she disliked about them.

That’s a relief.

Indeed, at least he could have a peace of mind now. He was freaking out all this time about his daughter falling in love with an imperial prince. Even worse of a stress if she accepted giving those princes a tour of the city, considering what danger Estelia was still in.

“Has your heart calmed down finally, daughter?” He chuckled.

She grimaced slightly. “W-What? I’m telling you, I’m not coming out of the palace. Let them have their fun. I’ll have mine.”

“Right, right.”

“And please stop it with the misunderstanding.”

“I don’t remember any misunderstanding.”

She closed her eyes with an exasperated sigh. “Nevermind. Just… make sure they come back alive, and keep a close watch over them. If Eleden and Estevan will be there, the better.”

“You think they’re planning something?”

“On the tour? I don’t think so. I just want you to tell me how they behave during your fun little tour.”

“What do you want to know, sister?”

“Anything.”

“... Okay.”

“I think it’s time to call big brother Estevan to let him know what he needs to do tomorrow.”

Agreeing with her words, Eleden left to bring Estevan quickly to the office. While waiting, Leodoule glanced at his daughter, back to her thinking pose. It made him curious.

“What are you thinking, daughter?”

“Nothing…”

“Come now, feel free to share your thoughts with papa.” He smiled like talking to a baby Estelia.

“... Just, personal thoughts, Father.”

“Such as?”

“... Nothing.”

Leodoule sighed and gave up asking. He kind of hoped she would at least share a bit of what she was thinking about. But, considering she didn’t, then it must not be something so important or others should hear. They were indeed something personal.

But it would be nice to share her personal thoughts with her father. It made Leodoule wonder if Estelia would mind sharing it with her mother. Mother and daughter typically have a different kind of bond, something more open.

Oh well…

A short while later, Eleden returned with Estevan.

“So, what do you need from me?”

Leodoule answered him. “You’ll be coming with Eleden tomorrow to give the two imperial princes a tour of the city.”

Estevan frowned. “Me? Are you sure? I mean, we’re particularly not on friendly terms.”

“I’ve noticed. That is why I need you to be less hostile and more amiable.”

“... I’ll try. But…”

Estelia leaned forward and chimed in. “You’ll be fine, dear brother. Prince Alistor won’t do anything to provoke you, nor Prince Cilas. They won’t be a problem. Prince Cilas, in particular, is not one to seek conflict, and you can be friends with him. We talked, so I’m sure.”

Estevan slightly tilted his head. “You talked?”

“Uh-huh. In my office, I showed him my book collection.”

Everyone looked at her with widened eyes.

“Why did you do that, daughter?”

“I discovered we both liked books. He even borrowed one of my recent favorites.”

Leodoule’s mouth dropped open. Both liked books? And borrowing? That meant that… They can relate with each other. Then that could mean a way into her… heart. Was that why she was acting differently now? She found Prince Cilas more to her liking?

Is that how it is?!

“H-How long did you talk?”

“It started around morning up to noon, until Prince Alistor arrived to join in.”

“E-Estel, you should be careful around them,” said Estevan. “Don’t just invite them to your rooms.”

“That’s right, sister. Especially alone.”

“I was not alone. I was with my servants.”

“Even so…”

“D-Daughter, forget what happened today, okay? Don’t think about it.”

“W-What? I-I was just being friendly. I enjoyed talking with Prince Cilas. It’s not always that I could talk with anyone with the same hobbies.”

“I’m going to introduce you to more Wisterian noble children, so don’t worry about it.”

Estelia looked away and pouted, her arm leaning on the armrest with a hand on her cheek. “... Think of it however you like…” she muttered.

***

A small convoy of three carriages lined up at the front of the palace. Knights in their full gear from both factions stood by their own carriage, with Wisterians at the front to take the lead in their own city.

The two princes of Tornridge met with the two Wisterian princes. They all wore their fancy outfits, beaming with manly beauty.

Eleden spoke first. “The carriages are waiting. Are you two ready?”

“Of course,” Alistor replied with a grin.

“Yes.” Cilas nodded.

“We’ll be sharing a carriage so we can properly show and introduce what you see, or what you ask.”

Everyone had no complaints, but that didn't mean they liked it either. Especially Estevan, who was doing his best to show his friendly face. He dreaded thinking of being stuck in a small claustrophobic carriage with a pair of men from an enemy nation. As a knight, and a warrior, he just wants to give them a jab or anything. An enemy was an enemy, and what to do with an enemy was to fight and defeat them.

That was why he left most of the talking to Eleden. Which Eleden heartily obliged to do. Still, it was reassuring to have a knight like Estevan beside the Crown Prince, in case the enemy tried to do anything shady or threatening.

The four royals entered the carriage and after a knight closed the door, the convoy went on the move. Silence fell but the cluttering of the wheels outside. Estevan was not interested in initiating a conversation. He often glanced at the two imperials and then to the outside. As they passed by the bridge, he saw the river, reminding him of the time he and Estelia went out.

That’s right, we’re supposed to go fishing sometime.

He had never really forgotten about it, it just didn’t usually come out of his mind. Everyone has been too busy, especially his dear sister. He didn’t want to get in her way.

Perhaps someday. Once this is all over, they can have all the time in the world.

Estevan glanced back at the two imperials. Both were looking away from each other, and a space between them. He felt a strange sense from the two. Especially the younger one, Cilas, who leaned close to the window. Different to Alistor, who was grinning as he watched over the scenery.

When they were closing into the city, Alistor broke the silence. “Is there any particular place we’ll go first?”

“We stop at the northern plaza,” Eleden replied.

“I see. I hope we get to walk around freely once we get there. An aimless walk is more liberating and fun.”

“That is fine with us.”

“Perfect. Brother, is that alright with you?”

Cilas looked at him from the corner of his eyes. “Yes. Whatever you say.”

“Excellent.”

Estevan and Eleden glanced at each other for a moment, both puzzled and intrigued.

***

Alistor and Cilas stepped into the plaza, a beautiful water filled fountain at the center. Alistor nodded with a grin as he looked around. The people of Wisteria curiously glanced at them while keeping their distance.

At the front were the two princes of Wisteria, and surrounding them were the knights from both nations, keeping a tight security.

“This is nice,” Alistor casually remarked.

Eleden turned back towards them. “We’ll head to one of the best food spots in the city. How else is a new nation first enjoyed but their food?”

“On that, we agree.”

And thus they continued onward. Alistor often waved at the people with a charming smile. They were pretty receptive. From what he was seeing, Wisteria quite had a clean surrounding that he appreciated. He glanced at his brother Cilas, looking at the scenery with a small smile.

Alistor stepped closer to him. “You like the scenery?”

Cilas frowned. “Yes. I’ve been interested in taking a close look at the city.”

“Of course you are. You must be enjoying the new culture and setting you’re getting into.”

“... Yes, I do. What? You’re not enjoying it?”

“Heh. There are things to enjoy and not. What I enjoyed the most is left back in the Wisterian palace.”

Indeed, she was the most interesting thing in the whole Wisteria. Not the food, not the land, not the city, not anything. And how much Alistor regretted that she wasn’t here. He was quite hoping to develop their friendly relationship here. As the two of them have a pleasing tour, just the two, meaning without Cilas or anyone else important. The knights would be present, but that was just par for the course.

He could have done so much more. And perhaps he could have kissed her. That said, there was some little thing that was concerning. Alistor was worried that the Princess’s heart was easily swayed. Especially if she found someone with the same hobby as her. Still, not everyone falls for someone that has similar hobbies to them. Despite that, there was still a chance of it happening.

Cilas, after hearing what he had just said, paused as he spoke in a low tone. “Careful, Alistor.”

“Huh?” He raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean be careful?”

“I mean be careful with your words,” he whispered.

“What? You don’t like it? I was only being honest. She is a good company.”

Cilas glared at him. “Careful. I don’t want her brothers hearing the way you speak about her.”

“Oh? Them? Or you?”

“What?”

“Say, how was the book you borrowed from her? Was it good?”

“I don’t see how that’s your business.”

“Really now? Bet it’s going to be a good topic to talk about with her, huh? When you get to return it.”

“... Oh, I see. I know what this is about. Look, Alistor, she approached me first.”

“Isn’t that something?” he said in a sarcastic tone. “But admit it, you liked her company. I can see through you.”

Cilas didn’t know how to answer at first. “... So? You got nothing to do with it.”

“I got in first, now you’re trying to join. How underhanded.”

“Dammit, Alistor. This is not the place for this.”

Alistor glared down at Cilas. In truth, he didn’t like competition, especially to something like this, which he started. No one should just ruin his game like this, particularly in something he wanted to win.

“Don’t do anything you’ll regret, little brother.”

“You’re not the boss of me.”

“Is everything alright?” Suddenly, Eleden asked, interrupting the two.

Alistor smiled and straightened himself. “Yes. We’re just having a little talk about the surroundings.”

“I see…” he glanced at Cilas who took a step away from his own brother. “If you have any questions, feel free to ask.”

“Of course.”

***

I put down the hot chocolate as I stared through the window. I was currently in my office along with my servants. It was finally peaceful, now that the two princes were out of the palace. It was also time to collect my thoughts and discuss a bit with my servants.

I shifted my eyes towards Rogan. “I’ve been thinking about your fight with that prince.”

With a casual smile as always, he replied, “What?”

“In an all out fight, would you have won?”

“Hmm, it will be difficult. I already lost in that spar, I might lose in a serious all out fight.”

That was a bit hard to swallow. My knight, to lose against that prince? Shit. Oh well, guess I have to take it up in his words.

“Can my brother Estevan win?”

“A close and risky fight, I couldn’t tell. Who knows what kind of secret techniques the prince could have learned back in their own country. And he’s royalty, that complicates things. You didn’t get enough information?”

“... Magic’s existence makes things… doubtful.”

Yeah, fucking magic. Always makes things hard to accept at surface levels. You never know how many trump cards or hidden shit they have. I mean, look at me! I could have a spell that automatically shoves a finger up your ass, you’ll never know.

“Should I have urged him into a more intense fight? Well, I was already struggling, so… Especially that shield, it reminds me of your levitating shields and stuff. I hate moving shields.” He frowned.

Well, that’s hilarious.

“That annoys you, I see.”

“Of course. Shields are supposed to be shields. Use it as it should be. But I guess it’s never always fair in fights.”

“Nothing beats surprises, it got you.”

“Yeah…”

“That Imperial Prince is no one to shrug about then,” Vernon chimed in. “We might need the combined forces of two elite knights to bring him down.”

“Woah hey, we’re not talking about defeating or killing him, right? We’re in the palace, it’s not that we have to seriously fight him here.”

I smiled. “Of course, Sir Rogan. It’s bad to slay a royal from another nation here.”

Yeah, that would be terrible. To spill the blood of something very important here in Wisteria, would just be terrible. We leave that kind of thing for last or something, or if they did something bad to me — I mean us.

“R-Right?”

“But you may or may not face him when the invasion starts, so it’s best to be prepared.”

“... Alright.”

I took a sip of my yummy sweet drink. “In any case, he’s powerful. Still, I am curious. Do you think I can beat him?”

The three of my servants froze upon hearing that unexpected question. Not really a fitting question for me to ask. But hey, we gotta ask what we gotta ask.

Rogan placed a hand on his chin. “With your spells, I say you have a pretty good chance.”

“Oh?”

“But you will get hurt. I mean, really hurt. If he hits you, you might get fatally wounded, or just die outright.”

“You’re saying as if I’m more powerful than you.”

He bitterly smiled. “Well, you already are.”

“Am I really?”

“Come now, Princess. After seeing you during the fight with the beastman and elf, there’s no way you can be underestimated. Right, Vernon?”

“Yes. Even I will find it difficult to win against you with your spells.”

“I’m pleased to hear that. At least I have a chance to beat him.”

“Again, Princess, you will definitely get hurt.”

Then I just get him where he'll be unable to attack me. Not even a chance of drawing his sword or something. Besides, not like a direct confrontation would ever be my first option. I’m a ninja! Okay, assassin. You know what assassins do, do it in ways a target wouldn’t expect or see coming. By the way, can assassins be considered ninjas? Huh, now that’s something to think about on my boring days.

“Then I’ll refrain from fighting anyone.” I giggled.

“... Hey Princess, I’ve noticed, which I’m sure everyone noticed. But… um, from the way you were acting with that prince, almost like you have some romantic feelings for him?”

“Huh?”

“But seeing you here like this, I don’t get that vibe at all. Were you perhaps pretending? Or are you pretending now?”

Oh shiiit, I got my servants all confused. Mera in particular looked pretty interested, but more troubled.

I placed a hand and made a soft and maiden-like expression. “I wonder. Am I? I can’t understand my feelings.”

Rogan looked like he choked for a moment. “What do you even like about that guy? He’s like every woman player ever.”

“Even your family is worried about you, Your Highness,” Vernon added.

I chuckled. “Everything’s fine, okay? There’s nothing to worry about.”

“That doesn’t actually answer the question.”

“They’re my enemy. Does that satisfy you?”

I didn’t want to tell them my entire intention or confirm that I was acting. I’m a bit concerned that they’ll have a solid understanding that I’m a liar, and a good liar, or good at deceit. I’m the Pure Princess. Better leave everyone confused.

The three servants looked at each, not knowing how to take my answer. But at least they didn’t push it any further.

“Anyhow, they’re pretty behaved at the moment,” I said.

“You think their offer of peace is genuine?”

“Once they have taken care of both Myra and Valaies, what’s stopping them from disregarding our deal and assimilating Wisteria? Don’t expect any other nation like Eventon to do anything.”

“Tornridge would do that, huh?”

“They intend on conquering the continent, so they’ll do what is necessary for their ambitions.”

“Then why do they go through all this trouble?”

I glanced at the outside view. “They're planning something devious.”

“Really? They haven’t done anything yet.”

“They’re waiting. Observing. Studying. Like our security, our strength. And how they should go about executing their objective.”

“We’re not going to do something about it?”

“Our security measures are already in place. It’s hard for them to act.”

“So, we hope they’ll just give up?”

“Hm-mm. Actually, I will have something to ask eventually, soon.”

“What about?”

“You’ll see. Besides, I have something else to do with Prince Alistor first.”

“You showing that guy the garden?”

“Yes.”

***

The day passed, and the night came. Before having dinner, me, Father, and Eleden gathered in the King’s office again, but with the addition of Estevan. This has been the usual routine, huh?

“Did you have a good time, my sons?”

“How can I even have a good time in that?” Estevan said.

“Yes, it was nothing enjoyable, but everything went well.”

“Did they do anything suspicious?”

“None that I could see. They were focused on the tour.”

“I see. At least there’s no incident whatsoever.”

Yeeaaah, even I wouldn’t take and lead those guys on a tour of the city. I wouldn’t risk myself going out just for those fucks. And, you know how a hassle it would be to hide myself? Look at me, I standout. If I were to go out, I would want a whole dozen guys guarding me. My two brothers were fine going. I was the one in danger ever since arriving in this world.

“My dear brothers, did the two princes have fun?” I asked as I sat on my usual distant couch.

“... I think so?” Estevan answered.

“They had a decent experience. However, I did notice them acting strangely. More precisely, acting strangely with each other.”

I smirked inside. “What do you mean?”

“They’re keeping a bit of distance between them. Like they had an argument. Cilas often shows his displeasure at Alistor and keeps a step away.”

“Oh my, why could that be?”

“I didn’t ask. But I did hear them mention you when they had a hush conversation.”

“Me?”

“Could it be you’re the center of their quarrel?”

My eyes widened in confusion. “How could that be? I didn’t do anything to offend them, right? I did my best to be polite.”

Father placed a hand on his forehead. “It’s not a matter of being polite, it seems. But I think I have an idea.”

“What is it?” I innocently asked.

“You spoke with Prince Cilas, correct?”

“Yes.”

“And your time together was delightful, I take it? And you have another one that’s trying to get close to you. Do you understand where I’m getting at?”

My two brothers conveyed they understood. However, I was tilting my head in my cluelessness. Of course I was just bullshitting. But Father was thinking hard on how to convey what he meant.

“You see, Estelia… Well. How do I explain it…? Let’s just say that both of them really like the same person, so they’re having a conflict because they like that same person.”

“Really? Who do they both like?”

Eleden and my father glanced at each other for the moment before my father continued.

“Well… Not really something we can share because… we are not completely sure. And it’s a very personal thing.”

“... I see.”

Aaaaaw, look at that, them trying to hide the truth from me. Who else could they like but me? Hehehe. Father just didn’t want to tell me that because well, some of our realization in life just makes us do something we didn’t expect, you know. If they tell me that those two like me, I might go all flustered and blushing all over the place. And I might come to realize something.

They were already preventing me from falling in love. So it was best not to make it worse.

“In any case,” I said. “The important thing is things went smoothly.”

“By the way, daughter. I’ve been meaning to ask. You suggested that knights of both Wisteria and Tornridge train together, yes?”

“Y-Yes I did.”

“Is there any particular reason for that? Aside from getting along and perhaps learning from one another.”

“... That is basically it.”

“Really?”

“Well, there may be a chance that we learn a secret technique that Tornridge could do. Any information we can get is helpful. Our knights can also learn how Tornridge fights, even for just a little.”

“Wouldn’t Tornridge also not learn something about and from us?”

“True. But we do what we can.” Well, they can’t learn anything if they all die here before getting back to their homeland. “Besides, maybe this way, both our nations can really become friends.” Of course not.

“Y-Yeah… I don’t think that is possible.”

“It was just wishful thinking on my part, Father.”

“Uh-huh.”

14