Vol. 3 Chapter 120: A Night of Execution (Part 1)
560 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rogan heard a commotion coming from afar. With furrowed brows, he held his spear with both hands. At the moment, he wore only leather armor beneath his formal clothes. So he had to be careful in the upcoming fight.

Crap, it really happened, huh…?

As much as he disliked a battle happening in the palace, there was no avoiding it. Still, fighting in a confined space as this was too dangerous. There was a chance they could be outnumbered and get cornered. More dangerous, especially for the royal family.

He met eyes with the nearby patrolling knight, who was confused about what’s happening.

“Keep guard here, secure the hallway.”

“Rogan, enemies?”

“Definitely.”

Just then, they heard shouting. “We’re under attack! The Empire is attacking!” It was one of their allies, trying to alert everyone.

The knight with him drew his sword. “Dammit, I should have expected they would do something so devious. Rogan, you should go to the Princess.”

“Later, I have an order I should follow.”

“What?!”

“Stay on guard.” A few of the knights patrolling in the area rushed towards them. “I’ll be going to Prince Eleden. You come with me.” He pointed to one, then to another one. “You go and secure Prince Estevan. Make sure he’s good. Tell him to meetup by the stairs. The rest, keep guard of the corridors and kill as many attackers as you can!”

“Got it!”

As the knights moved out, Rogan rushed to Eleden’s room and loudly knocked on the door. “Prince! This is Rogan! Open the door, we’re under attack!” Rogan could hear clashing nearby.

They’re moving fast.

The door opened, Eleden emerged still in his sleepwear. His eyes were wide in agitation. “Who’s attacking?”

“The Empire.”

“What? They would attack us like this?”

“Apparently. Let’s go, we need to join in with the others.”

“Wait! You shouldn’t even be here! You should be with Estelia.”

“I know. But she wants me here.”

As much as Rogan wanted to be by her side at this moment to fulfill his role, he had to do what he was commanded to do. And he had to admit, it felt terrible not doing his duty in times of crisis.

Eleden’s eyes widened in surprise and confusion. “What? No, that can’t be.”

“We’ll rendezvous on the ground. Let’s go, we’ll protect you.” Rogan nodded at the knight with him.

Just as they were about to go. A couple of strangers charged through the corridor. One was wearing an imperial knight’s armor, while the other was wearing leather armor. The former had a sword, while the latter held a curved blade in each hand.

They got through, crap.

“There’s one prince,” said the enemy knight.

The one in leather armor sheathed his one weapon and pulled out a dagger, swiftly throwing it towards Eleden. Rogan gritted his teeth and he tracked the blade piercing through the air. As it was about to go past him, he spun his spear. The bottom tip parried the dagger away.

“Not on my watch.” Rogan seamlessly switched to his battle stance.

“Woah, aren’t you the princess’s personal knight?” the enemy knight asked.

“He is?” asked the other.

“Yeah.”

“Then what’s he doing here?”

Rogan grinned. “I’m here to shove this spear up your ass.”

The pair of enemies grimaced.

Rogan stepped back a little and whispered to the prince. “Get ready to run with me.”

“Yes.”

Rogan and his fellow knight readied themselves. Rogan used his magic, lightning cackled at the tip of his spear, and he instantly thrust forward, firing a bolt of lightning at his enemies. At the same time, he shouted.

“Go!”

And they began fleeing.

The enemy knight cast his barrier spell to protect the two of them from the lightning. Once cleared, the light armored enemy sprinted towards the prince with agile steps, he threw another dagger at his target.

Rogan blocked the incoming dagger easily, but the dual wielder swung his blades at him. The elite knight swung his spear to deflect the attacks. But the man immediately regained his momentum and started swinging against Rogan, attacks imbued with Armament Magic, causing a splash of mana with every contact.

At the same time, Rogan’s ally engaged with the hostile knight.

The prince paused. “Rogan!”

“Hold!” Rogan leaped back. “Don’t go without protection!” He waved his spear sideways, and an arc of lightning shot out towards his opponent.

The dual wielder leaped up, avoiding the magical attack by the hair before landing and again charging towards Rogan. He flipped his curved weapon and as Rogan engaged, he hooked the knight's spear and pulled sideward. Simultaneously, he raised his other weapon to bring down upon the spearman.

Rogan set his other hand free from his weapon and accumulated mana into it. Before the enemy’s weapon could reach him, he thrust his hand forward, and a white blast erupted, pushing the enemy into the wall. Rogan gripped his spear tightly and quickly pierced his lightning coated spear into the enemy’s chest. The smell of burnt flesh permeated the air.

He pulled back his spear, and the enemy’s corpse dropped to the floor.

“ — No!”

Rogan instantly turned the moment he heard his comrade shout. He was blown away, and the enemy knight rushed and was coming closer to the prince, his weapon at the ready the moment he was in range. Rogan swiftly raised his spear. As he did, he charged it up with lightning, and after drawing it back enough, he threw the spear towards the enemy.

***

The door of the queen’s room opened. “Vernon, what is going on?” she asked the butler standing in her doorway.

“My queen, I have come to protect you. The palace is currently under attack.”

Her eyes widened in shock. “Who would do that?”

“It’s the Empire.”

She nervously placed a hand on her chest. “They could commit such an act in our home?”

Vernon heard clashing nearby. “Apologies, Your Majesty, but it is dangerous here in the palace. We need to reunite with the knights outside.”

“I understand.” She nodded. “But my Estelia, is Rogan protecting her?”

Vernon debated whether he should tell that Rogan was somewhere other than with the Princess. Her knowing and getting worried might complicate things. He wasn’t instructed what to answer to her, nor did the Princess even bring it up. Did she not think that her family would be concerned about her first?

“Follow me, Your Majesty. Do not leave my side.”

Vernon moved out as the queen followed closely beside him. But she kept staring at Vernon as if waiting for an answer.

“Vernon. My daughter. You didn’t even answer that you don’t know.”

Vernon subtly sighed. He had hoped not to answer that. Lying was an option, but he didn’t want to lie to the Queen. So he had no other choice but to honestly answer.

“Sir Rogan has his own task to take care of.”

“What? W-What do you mean his own task? His task is to protect my daughter.”

“I’m sorry. But it is Her Highness’s command. As I am here now.”

“What? No! Go to my daughter, the knights here will protect me.”

“I can’t do that.” Vernon nodded at the two knights that were with him, and together they escorted the Queen.

“Vernon!” she shouted in a strained voice, her eyes were full of absolute worry and fear. “Leave me and go protect my daughter. That is an order!”

He felt pity seeing her this distraught. It must be terrible knowing that your own daughter had no one to protect her. That even her own servants were somewhere else, and not by her side. Vernon wanted to join the Princess’s side, however, she trusted him in protecting her mother. He cannot abandon his mission.

“With all due respect, Your Majesty, I am Princess Estelia’s direct servant. Her orders take priority.”

“Why?! W-Why is she doing this?!” She sounded like she was about to break into tears. “If only Leodoule was here…”

Vernon glanced at her with a soft gaze. “The Princess is not incapable, Your Majesty. She’ll be alright. We’ll meet her on the ground.”

“But—”

“— Watch out.” Vernon promptly cast a palm shield in front, protecting them from an incoming magical arc.

A group of imperial forces have arrived. A couple of knights, and one that had no weapons whatsoever. Vernon was especially wary of that latter one. Having no weapons in sight could only mean that he was a mage.

“You knight, target the mage,” said Vernon. “The two of us stay close with the Queen. Clear the path.”

Two enemy knights advanced forward. One Wisterian knight slipped through and engaged the mage. The mage fired a lightning bolt, but the knight shielded himself and fired an arc of light. The mage also shielded himself, and stepped back, before continuing sending magic, flames, lightning, and plain magical attacks.

Vernon faced the knight coming at the Queen. The enemy shot his slash of light, which Vernon momentarily blocked with his shield before taking a step forward, getting a little closer to the enemy. The enemy swung down his blade, but the butler shifted his body to the side, evading the attack.

Using the full power of his Physical Enhancement technique, he swiftly grabbed the knight’s wrist, crumpling his armor. Instantly, he drew back his other hand and punched the knight, sending him flying away into the wall. The knight groaned in pain.

It was at that moment that Vernon sensed another strike coming from somewhere. With his enhanced body, he moved almost instantaneously behind the Queen and extended his hand. He caught the object flying mid-air by the hilt, it was a dagger.

The Queen gasped as the tip of the blade was only a couple of inches away from her face. Not only that, there appeared to be liquid on the blade. Green liquid.

“Doused in poison,” Vernon murmured. He shifted his eyes towards the other end of the hallway, where they just came through.

There was a man in a dark outfit, their faces covered, leaving only a gap for their eyes. One Vernon could easily handle, but then another arrived. Vernon swiftly threw back the dagger, but his target evaded. Spreading apart, the two assassins each threw a pair of daggers.

Vernon cast a palm shield, blocking them. But one got past the very edge of his shield, so he quickly grabbed it by the hilt as it passed by. He swiftly threw it back, taking one assassin by surprise, and thus hitting him in the chest. As the blade was poisoned, he could consider that assassin taken care of.

Annoyed, the other assassin decided to change his method of attack and drew two daggers. He swiftly charged towards the Queen, but of course Vernon was in his way. As the assassin lashed out, Vernon skillfully avoided his attacks.

When there was finally an opening, he flicked the assassin’s wrist with the side of his hand. With the strength he had, he easily crushed the bone. The assassin suppressed a scream, and Vernon tightly gripped the enemy’s hand holding the other dagger, and he struck him in the chest. His fist dug deep, he could feel the bones crack and crumbling. The assassin wheezed.

“Die!” suddenly an enemy knight shouted from behind.

Vernon turned towards the sound to see the knight he faced earlier coming in closer to the Queen.

No!

Vernon quickly moved to stop the knight. But the sword, he didn’t know if he could stop it before it reached the Queen. He must go faster. He must not let her die. Even if the price was to be his life, so be it.

He was resolved to do what he must. But then a sizable bird made of bluish light emerged and crashed into the incoming knight, blowing him away. Vernon immediately stood in front of the Queen, who had her hand extended forward.

“I-I can help you watch your back,” said the Queen.

Vernon was aware that she was capable of magic, but he feared that she wasn’t trained for fighting.

The Queen continued, “I can also deploy a shield for myself, but I wouldn’t be able to support you.”

Vernon looked at the surroundings. The enemy mage was finally slain, and the Wisterian knight immediately went after the knight that got hit by the Queen’s magic, and plunged his sword into the enemy knight’s heart. Then he proceeded to help the other Wisterian knight, who was already wounded, slashed on his torso.

“If we’re in a fight, please protect yourself first and foremost, Your Majesty. Don’t mind us. Your life is more important.”

If she were to lower her shield to attack, Vernon doubted if she could react quickly enough to an incoming attack to cast her barrier. It was better if she were constantly protected while her warriors were fighting.

She cast her gaze downward. “Very well…”

And the enemy knight was defeated. The smell of blood filled the air, the floor stained crimson.

“We should go onward before the enemies find us again.”

14