Vol. 2 Chapter 48: The Festival (Part 1)
1.5k 2 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Excuse me? Hello? Where’s my cheer? My warm welcome where I bask in the smiles and words of praise?

And… what I got is a silent treatment?! Fuuuuuck, this is embarrassing.

Here I was, wearing the most beautiful dress I got from Mervizo. This fancy dress was one of the few that instead placed in a big box along with others, this one had its own special big, big box where it was spread out to avoid any wrinkles.

I even tried to think what simple pieces of jewelry I can wear. I imagined so many times and, in much detail, how people would react to my revelation to the public. And this was all I can get?

My family before me even got loud cheers and a warm reception. It’s all unfair!

I prepared for this day… this was upsetting. It was like preparing to look good for your boyfriend, but he didn’t even seem to recognize your looks and efforts.

Shit!

What? They’re just shocked? True… but silence?? Seriously? I have been standing here for a few seconds and they still gawked at me silently…

To think they would loudly welcome a princess from another nation, and not their own. How insolent. I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed…

And I was confident too.

I wanted to slouch in dejection, but I cannot. Need to give off a great image!

Rogan also looked pretty baffled by the silence, he too was excited to show me to everyone else. Apparently, we more or less imagined the same. Dammit.

Guess I should just go straight out of here.

With gentle and graceful steps, I walked towards the church entrance with Rogan following behind me. While planning for this day, I have thought of having Lucious as my escort here. However, that was not plausible when there was nothing going on with us.

That’s why I am here all alone. Guess I understand. I mean with how they welcomed my eldest brother and Lillie, with the fabrics in the air and stuff, if I get Lucious to escort me here it would be akin to announcing we’re having a legit relationship — which something we definitely did not have.

In any case, wow, I looked beautiful! Like damn, Mervizo outdid himself again! I looked like someone from another wealthier nation. I have almost mistaken myself as a goddess — no wait, technically I am.

But before I could step inside, the crowd gradually began to clap. I stopped in my tracks and turned towards them. Their applause was weaker than before, but at least they were clapping. I lift my smile a bit more at them before entering the cathedral.

The cathedral was truly grand. A lot of beautiful ornaments and decorations placed all around. Golden finishing on the walls. The first floor was full of chairs, and at the frontal parts was where the nobles sat. A gap separated the seats for nobles from the commoners. There was also a second floor on the sides. Must be another place where the rest can position themselves when the first floor is filled. I expected a little this place would be three stories considering the height, but I guess not.

The nobles that were standing turned to look at me, all ranging from those in the capital, and outside of it, from adults, elderly, and their children with several around my age. Their eyes went wide in fascination as they watched me walk on the red carpet at the center of the hall. I noticed young noblemen blushing, and others blatantly infatuated with me the moment their eyes saw me.

Gentle music from Liathre, flutes, vynelin, and a small group of choirs playing together a gentle melody. Nice song… peaceful. That being said, I couldn’t relax, everyone was looking right at me. These are nobles, best to give a good impression at least. Show a bit of confidence, make my parents proud. This was my first appearance in public, don’t fuck it up.

I should say, this place truly was magnificent. Paintings depicting the gods, stories filled the ceiling. The walls and columns were embedded and decorated with expensive metals such as gold, silver, and beautiful carvings and paintings. This place was almost luxurious as the grand cathedrals back in my world. No, looking at it again, this one here was grander.

At the edge of the stage was the statue of the lord and lady. Hm, should I call them daddy and mommy next time? That’s weird.

I stopped at the forefront chairs and turned to the right side where the royal family was — plus Lillie — and sat down on the empty seat and everyone else followed given that I was the last one. I smiled at Mother who was beside me, she took and grasped my hand and fondly smiled at me as if saying excellent job.

Thank you, mother…

I felt warmth in my chest. It was a good feeling.

The commoners then began flooding into the cathedral with the knights and church people in white garbs guiding them, making sure they won’t get unruly. It took a while before everything was done.

I have never been to a church — and when I say that I mean entering one with sincerity, you know, going to church for God, or in this case, for gods. Not that I didn’t believe God isn’t real, it’s just that… they don’t mean much where I'm from. We weren’t groomed to believe and praise God.

But then again, I’m not against an existence of a deity, or many. There’s a lot of religions, okay?! And that just made things confusing! So, in the end, I just didn’t care…

During the time I infiltrated the Vatican vault was creepy though… I’m serious. Almost like there’s something else there… Very concerning stuff. Felt like supernatural. Good grief, my old world has a lot of secrets…

Then the next moment, an old man followed by priests and priestesses appeared from the back of the front stage. His was a white robe with golden seams and wisteria sewing. They stood in front of the statues and bowed before turning to face us and walking to the altar.

His gaze went at me and stayed at me for a few seconds as the music played in the background. He smiled before grasping a small and thin cylinder with a blue gemstone at the tip after the music stopped.

“Today we celebrate and show our reverence to our Lady of Serenity who taught us harmony among our collected existence, and to our Lord of Compassion who taught us to be kind to our fellows.”

The bishop’s voice was amplified as he spoke with the cylinder before his mouth.

““Lord and Lady, we give our thanks.””

Everyone in the cathedral said in unison, voices echoing in the chamber. Everyone meaning of course including me. My family didn’t want me to embarrass myself, so they taught me beforehand the proceedings of this occasion.

“Let there be peace and unity among humanity, in the name of the Lord and Lady.”

““Amen.””

“Divine saviors, our gods, who freed us from the darkness and brought us into the light of day, who freed us from our suffering, hear our prayers. We thank you for the blessings you give us every day. Protect us from the evil lurking in the shadows, waiting to take our peace away. Forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. We implore you to give us strength, guide us in our hardships, help us preserve our serenity, and may compassion and goodwill grows in all of us. Amen.”

““Amen””

Came in the choir playing their instruments and singing a gentle melody. It felt a bit weird “worshipping” and “praising” religiously. I’m a bit uncomfortable, I’m not used to this kind of stuff at all.

That aside, aren’t the gods technically my family? Hey, mommy, daddy? You hear me? I need help! Yohooo! Oh, wait, were they even omniscient? The gods here were different, belonging in different stuff like Myra’s Lord of Golden. The gods here were entirely different from the gods in my old world.

The song continued, while the priestesses on standby swayed their censers, releasing smoke into the air. The smoke’s odor had a particular smell, quite pleasant to the nose, a sweet smell. They must have mixed something in.

When the singing stopped, the priestesses left the front to the back.

“I welcome everyone here today. And most importantly, welcome our dear nobles of the kingdom. How wonderful it is to see you all gathered here once more.”

The bishop smiled kindly, like any harmless old man you would find at any street corner.

“We are gathered here today for the First Blooming Festival. The day of the founding of our homeland when we officially became a dedicated kingdom of Wisteria. But, let me remind you how we arrived here.”

Then he began his story.

It all began when humanity here in our lands was in a dark age. Strange beings with fearsome power ruled the land with might and fear, where humanity was enslaved to do their bidding. Humanity was completely inferior in the face of these creatures, completely powerless to win their freedom.

That was until our gods arrived and drove away the savage creatures. The creatures full of arrogance, were powerless in the might of the gods. The Lord and Lady drove them into the dark corners of the world, places unknown to everyone but to them alone. And the creatures were never seen again.

The gods guided the remaining humanity in the lands, taught them, encouraged them. Eventually the gods left, but humanity lived on, using the values and knowledge taught to them by the two gods. Subsequently the two founders formed the kingdom, who shone brighter than any other humans at that time, they were true leaders.

“The kingdom started small, until eventually, we became what we are now! A nation full of smiles. Life may be full of hardship, but its people pushed forward and lived. Here we live in peace and singing the glory of the gods! Now people of Wisteria, receive the holy sigil and have it placed on your forehead.”

The servants of the church, priests and priestesses, scattered all throughout the cathedral. In their hands were porcelain bowls.

They divided themselves, others on the second floor, and the rest were on the commoners at the back. A few were assigned to give the mark to the knights that were on guard. Inside the bowls were white wax. The church servants dipped their thumb into the wax and then drew the outline of a wisteria petal on the foreheads.

In contrast, servants were also assigned to the nobles. As for us, we should be going for the bishop.

The bishop stood in front of the altar with a bowl of his own. First to go was Estevan. The bishop drew the outline of the petal on his forehead. Estevan nodded with a friendly smile at the bishop as if they were familiar with each other. Which I suppose would be expected, I think I’m the only one who never go to church.

Next was my eldest brother, Eleden. He left Lillie’s side and made his way to the bishop. Lillie’s not doing it obviously. When Eleden was done, Mother went on ahead.

Yeah, I’ll be the last one. Not my fault, I didn’t ask for this, okay? It was my family. They really took the “save the best one for last” line to heart during our discussion beforehand.

After mother, father followed.

Then when my father left the bishop, I rose from my seat and slowly made my way to the bishop. I could feel the gaze of countless people on my back. Imagining how they see me, I must look like a bright figure rising up into divine heights.

I recall what the foreign knight and Rogan said about me. The part that I seemed so out of place in this world. Truth be told, that made me feel special.

I arrived in front of the bishop, his eyes widened, and his smile grew. He peered deeply into my eyes before bowing his head, and it remained lower for a few seconds. Curious, he didn’t do it for my family.

“Your highness…” he slowly raised his eyes. “May the gods grant you protection.”

His hand trembled a little as he slowly drew the sigil on my forehead. I don’t feel the vibe I feel from the others charmed by me, this one here almost felt like reverence. I don’t recall having done anything that warrants that reverence.

Unless… Huh.

Seeing he was done, I stepped away and returned to my seat.

It would seem the bishop knew some secrets.

***

When the mass came to an end after some other things like more prayers, the commoners got out of the cathedral first while we of the higher class waited for them to all leave. I noticed a lot of gazes from the nobles all around me, from high to low-ranking ones, blended with whispers hard for me to understand or hear.

If they think I’m going to be active in the political circle, they’re mistaken. I only did this to my self-satisfaction and some other goals in mind. Furthermore, I have no intention of getting into politics when I as the princess and youngest child is not compelled to do so. But rather, this was more of a backup plan, just in case. That also meant I need to be careful before I get caught in their bullshit politics.

I am too much of a higher being to be bothered by their trivial matters. Why should I care about mortals and their inconsequential affairs? ‘But Estelia it is consequential to you!’ Shut it, okay? I know that, and that’s why I don’t want to think about it! Too many things to think about… that’s why, let’s chill out. I was only playing around.

Don’t want to think about things, but I need to. Damn adulthood sucks. Bring me back to my carefree childhood! The childhood here in this world, not the other one!

I tried to avoid looking at anyone, with a little peeking here and there. I’m only a timid girl originally, please don’t harm me.

When the cathedral had quieted down from the noisy footsteps of the commoners, the nobles began walking out in a more organized manner than the common folk did. We the royal family were the last one.

When we were lining up, Estevan deliberately positioned himself on my back. I looked up at him puzzled and he merely smiled at me with a nod.

Trying to protect me, brother? Thank you.

After walking for a while, we arrived at the exit, the morning light touched my face, my skin and jewelry glistened in the global illumination. Holding my hands together right on my belly, I elegantly walked the pavement, my heels faintly clattering.

I tried to look as someone befitting of my status. Chest high, back straight, head lifted. In truth though, pretty easy actually. And being the most beautiful being in the world, it’s inflating my pride and ego.

Filling this vast open area in front of the cathedral were the citizens watching us.

A moment later, we arrived before an elevated platform. The royal family plus Lillie climbed up the wooden stairs, leaving me behind. Rogan stood by my side and opened an umbrella to cover me from the sun. We could have shared, but oh well…

This spot was safer than standing on top of the platform, so tightening knights around me wouldn’t be that much of a necessity. I have Rogan beside me anyways, and I must trust his skills. Having guards all around me would be against the plan, so I must do the hard thing, whether I like it or not.

However, I want to be a bit more certain about my survival, so the safer option was to stay away from the top of the platform where I am completely open for everyone to see and strike.

Well, my mother was against me not having more guards, and it was hard to calm her down. We didn’t mention the church fighters hiding amongst the crowd since it was my plan with my father to begin with. She had no need to know.

I turned my gaze at my surroundings, looking out for stuff. But all I saw was the nobles being shaded by umbrellas held by their servants weirdly looking at me, but I didn’t bother myself with their stares.

Eleden shared an umbrella with Princess Lillie on the platform – as for her foreign knight, he remained on the ground. Fret not, this has been discussed beforehand, no need to worry about the other party being offended, and the knight wasn’t bothered at all by it. There were two knights close to her anyway, namely Estevan and my father. Estevan shared an umbrella with Mother. Then Father on the other hand was at the front preparing to address his people.

“Greetings people of Wisteria! Today we celebrate the founding of our beautiful nation! Let joy and smiles fill our days of festivities and may fortune and your wishes be granted! May love blossom, and peace triumph! The festival is not a time for troubles nor dismay, but for us all to have a good and pleasant time, with our friends, family… all our loved ones! Now smile and shout out for this joyful season!”

The people cheered loudly, excited for the official beginning of the festival. I guess they would be, it was a time when people are free to rest from work, relieve their stress and spend time with their family. And there are the rewards in the events that I’m sure the participants are quite looking forward to.

The cheers and shouting of the crowd were so loud that I was tempted to cover my ears. I’m not into loud places. Of course, if the cheers were for me, I wouldn’t mind. But in this case, it wasn’t.

Father held out both his arms and faced the palms together, purple colored magical energy gathered in his hand. It didn’t seem to be any particular spell but only mana extracted and given color.

Gradually it turned into an orb of purple.

“Now begins the festival!”

He unleashed the orb upwards, and it fired up into the air towards the sky. Then like a firework it exploded, the sparks spreading like countless branches of trees in the sky. Unlike a firework there was no audible explosion, but this one here was brighter as the purple light was still visible in the day.

It was wide enough that it halfway covered the entire city. That didn’t cost much mana anyway, it was just colored mana without much other properties. And they were thin enough to scatter. In short, just a light show.

Before, I could only see that light from the palace window and could only hear what my family had to say about it. Unlike in the palace where it was completely silent as the festival officially began, here it was so loud that it was almost piercing to the ears.

At least it’s nice to experience this for once instead of staying at the palace. Definitely going to join next year.

“Now then, for the participants of our first event, come and step forward!”

Groups of people from a specific part of the crowd came in front of the platform and momentarily forming lines. There was a total of five groups, with members of ten. Father then went on to explain the new game.

The five groups will be searching the city of flower petals made up of bronze. Each petal was scattered all around the northern region of the city. Hints in the form of true flower petals will aid them in their search, giving a sign that a bronze petal was in the area.

There were thirty-three bronze petals in total. The group with the greatest number of petals will be the winner. Reward will of course be a sizable amount of gold. Quite a safe game.

“You have an hour to find as many bronze petals as you can! Are you all ready? Then begin!”

The participants at once scattered.

“And there they go. As for the rest, you are free to do whatever you wish! May you have a pleasant festival.”

With that, the crowd slowly left, with a few managed to find and stare at me. Honestly, I’m so beautiful hehehe… but this made things a bit difficult though, hard to find anyone suspicious with everyone gawking at me like that.

My family and Lillie went down the stairs. Afterwards, we made our way to a grassy area beside the cathedral where trees give plenty of shade, with sets of chairs and tables.

This was where we aristocrats were to hang out for a while. Even with our number, the place was big enough that there were still spaces left. This was the only proper place nearby where aristocrats could have a little rest.

Additionally, this was a good place for us of the higher class to casually greet each other and socialize. I wanted to chill in this cozy place but as a royal, I just can’t catch a break. Representatives of households one by one approached us.

However, not all of us needed to gather actually, father and mother would do just fine to greet those who want to speak with them. I mean, look at Eleden! He’s with his girlfriend at the moment, away from us! Smiling! The nobles seemed to be giving them space.

How respectful.

I could separate from my parents, but I would definitely have some nobles greet me.

You know what, I’m just gonna act all passive and cute at a specific spot. The first representatives who greeted my parents first turned to greet me and Estevan. When they left, I asked to leave.

“Father, Mother, will you excuse me? I want to sit down.”

“Of course, dear, go ahead.”

Having my mother’s permission, I left and went to sit down on the spot for us royalty. Estevan stayed with my parents. When I approached a chair, Rogan pulled it back and let me sit down, acting like a true gentleman.

“Tired, princess?”

“Hm? Oh, yes… It’s my first time to be around too… too many people.”

“Of course, understandable. You’ve never been to the festival.”

“Yes… Did you have fun at last year’s festival?”

“I have a few enjoyable times. But being a knight and all, I was occupied with work mostly. But it was a bright time. As it always has been.”

I played around with my fingers for a while.

“So, Sir Rogan… noticed anything?” I quietly said, enough for him to hear.

He looked around before leaning a little closer to me.

“Nothing. I expected them to do something in the open earlier, but nothing happened. Nothing strange at all.”

“…Mm.”

The church fighters haven’t yet approached me, so it could mean they didn’t notice anything strange. Looking around, no commoners either. Just us aristocrats except for a few church staff.

Were they perhaps waiting for a safer opportunity?

Could they have perhaps realized it? No, too early to say that…

Dammit, can’t enjoy the festival to its fullest when you’re disturbed.

In that moment, a trio of nobles came walking towards me, parents, and a son. The son appeared to be the same age as me. When they got closer, I rose from my seat. They greeted me in the textbook noble greeting, and I tried my best to respond to them.

They seemed to be nice, all smiles and stuff. But cannot let down my guard to these kinds of things. They introduced their son, and he was stammering a little as he spoke with me. Heh, you know men fall in love quickly. As the innocent princess, of course I was exceedingly kind with them. A bit timid, but my voice was sweet and soft.

This young man here was also on the timid side, shy perhaps. Yes, shy talking to girls.

When nothing else was to be said, they left. Of course that was not the last of it. Another family approached.

This time there were two young men, one being a year older than me and another two years younger. The younger one appeared to like me, obviously, but he didn’t try to talk much. The older one on the other hand was acting more confident. He was smooth with his speech, might catch the interest of any other woman.

When they were done, this time two young men followed, without their parents. These ones were on the cocky side, evident in their voice and mannerisms. Annoying. These two were inferior to me. I am the only one allowed to be arrogant here. Get lost.

Honestly, who speaks that way to the princess of the kingdom? They really trying to make themselves look valuable and trying to impress me? Zero points! No, that’s a negative! If you gonna act arrogant in front of me, at least don’t look like an idiot. There was impressive type of arrogant people that were actually decent people to be with. But these two? Nah. I can already tell they’re no good at all.

Their parents must have realized they were walking on thin ice as they chimed in and brought them away from me. Actually, it’s hard to get some interest in these men that I know nothing about. Them being nobles didn’t help at all.

I’m only comfortable around Lucious and Rogan. As for why? Let’s see, Lucious’s is truly in love with me, and he’s a good person. Downside on the cannot really fight side, but other than that, he’s alright.

Rogan on the other hand is a carefree person, hard to tell if he’s really a good person that would carry out a good deed without any reward. But he’s a good person to his friends and acquaintances. He’s also reliable as a fighter. Downside, he’s too carefree often, and he needs to tone down that smug.

Of course I am favorable towards them because I am acquainted with them. That being said, I’m not looking for a partner. I’m still too young, you know. Let’s take searching for a cool man another time, shall we?

Although I would prefer not to get any romantic commitment. Not really interested in love. Buuuut, when it comes to it, I would prefer a decent and dependable man. A man that is smart. I like smarter guys better than those who are the brawny type. Really don’t matter if they are impressively physically strong, as long as they’re smart. Of course, smart, yet a man with a heart.

What would I do with a smart man who does not even have a heart?

‘But Estelia you don’t have a heart!’ Excuse me? How rude! I am not without a heart! At least I care about some things. Besides, what’s wrong with having preferences? So what if I have an underlying interest in smart men, hm?

But I should mention interest is different from love.

Moving on!

I had to talk with a lot of people today. Aristocrats are fascinating specimens, aren’t they?

But in the end, nothing happened. My enemies did not try to attack.

52