Vol. 2 Chapter 53: Colosseum (Part 1)
1.4k 2 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Way early time of the day, before the sun even began to rise, the entrance to the colosseum has already been opened for the audience. In no time at all, people gradually began entering, seemingly looking forward to the event.

This particular event, where warriors or fighters fight together in a non-lethal battle, started a long time ago by a warrior king of Wisteria. That particular king loved battle, he loved the thrill of combat, the adrenaline, and dancing with death. He was both respected and feared, but that also made him one of the most difficult rulers to like.

Bored to death and looking for a challenge, he built a colosseum to satisfy his own needs. It was where he would be entertained by the struggles of other people as they overcome harsh and hard challenges. And perhaps, find someone that he might be on par with.

But such a plan was frowned upon by his subordinates and members of the family. If he carried on with this, where blood would be needlessly spilled and life taken, they would be no different from the nearby barbaric empire.

But the king remained stern and proposed that deliberate killing will be forbidden and winners shall be aptly rewarded. If he found someone he wanted to spar with, it would be held in private.

He indeed was a disliked king because of his nature. But in the end, the colosseum was built and it lived on for centuries and had thus become an essential part of the annual festival.

But at present, there was a change, the people had heard that not only humans would be coming into the arena, but a monster as well. This made people curious and excited about the upcoming event. A lot had never seen a monster before and were looking forward to seeing one. While others just wanted to see a fight between man and monster.

It would appear that the people longed for something new. It even came as a surprise that such a thing was allowed as monsters were uncontrollable. But no one would be foolish enough to bring a monster they cannot neutralize, and with the number of knights present, the monster would not be able to do anything too chaotic.

A middle-aged man walked down the dark corridor of the colosseum, his hair was dark, his eyes brown, and a brown skin complexion. He had a muscular physique and a long scar on the side of his face. Daggers on his belt and sword at the side of his waist.

He was the knight named Elson Metrial. He was the one assigned to manage the monster that was captured, and also the one who led the capture. It took a lot of deliberation on which creature they should capture as they had to be very cautious of what to pick. If they didn’t, it would risk causing a monster to run rampant in the city that they couldn’t subjugate.

He nodded at the knights guarding parts of the corridors until eventually he arrived at a wide chamber where knights sternly stood guard as they glared at the cage at the center of the room, with a large beast chained inside. It growled disturbingly, glaring at them with intense pressure.

The knights had never tried to keep guard a captured monster as they never wanted to before. Monsters were meant to be eliminated after all. This one here was captured before the festival began, meaning they have been keeping this monster in a place that it was not supposed to for a while now. To keep it from going berserk, they would need to feed it with a large amount of meat four times a day.

“Feed it twice the amount for today. We don’t want it to weaken for its performance.” Elson ordered.

The knights then proceeded to throw large amounts of meat at the monster, an amount that would feed a family for days.

“Damn, the winner will be fighting that? After duels against multiple enemies?” a knight asked.

That would indeed be difficult to do. No, it would be absurd to expect.

“This is the first of its kind, the event. I’m sure we can adjust next time.” Elson responded. "Besides, this is why this place is also called the Arena of Perseverance.”

“I suppose. Humans overcoming hard challenges, and persevering in the end. The purpose of this event.”

“Adding a monster into the number of challenges would make things more meaningful.”

“Man against a monster. Would make for a good tale. Although I worry that it would be too difficult for the person to fight this, we had a hard time capturing it after all.”

“The intent is different, therefore the result will not be the same.” their goal was to capture which would naturally make things more difficult. But in the arena, the goal will be to eliminate the monster. Thus, there would be no need for a human to hold back.

Elson watched as the monster violently chewed on the food it was given.

“What if it kills the contender?” a knight asked.

“It won’t, or so I hope,” Elson said. “We will be watching closely, and we are free to intervene when we think it is getting too deadly or if the contender is about to die. Besides, they are free to pass, we’ll have participants who would be willing anyway, the reward is quite the sum.”

“Let’s hope nothing bad is going to happen. We never have done this before.”

“Everything has a beginning. If this is a success, I’m sure this will go on for centuries. Don’t you want to be a part of history?”

“I suppose.”

“Then keep up. Make sure everything is prepared to move out in the afternoon.”

“Yes, sir.”

***

I slipped into my white gloves as Mera decorated my hair, just on the light side of things. I was clad in a white and black dress, extravagant, almost like a gown, but light enough that I can walk with ease. The event I’m going to had no need to wear a heavy dress like going out on my wedding day.

I admired myself in the mirror, truly I looked so lovely, so pure, so wonderful, so perfect. That may be the most important part, but time to talk about the next part. Okay, namely about the event.

The tournament, where people fight each other bla bla bla. In any case, I’m pretty excited about it, time to get all bloody! If you know what I’m saying. Except, there would likely be no death. A shame really. But if someone accidentally dies or something in the match, that would be cool.

More than the human performers, there would be a monster. Ooooh, I am very curious about them given that I have never seen one before. Finally gonna get a glimpse of one.

I do hope to be entertained.

When the preparation was done, I went down to the palace entrance where everyone would be meeting to go to the colosseum. The moment I get outside I will be going into serious mode, but I need to be even more aware and observant when I arrive at the colosseum. I already had a leisurely time yesterday, time to get back to work.

Dammit, when am I going to have a lazy time?

On the way, I played around with my bracelets of diamonds, yup, diamonds with silver! I’m such a big-timer. Honestly, they really love covering me with jewelry and treasure… even though I am already a treasure, hehehehe.

I united with my family and began riding in our carriage. This time there were only two. With me are Estevan and my two parents, while Eleden was with you know who. We got up pretty early, so we shouldn’t be late if we take our time getting there.

Time passed and we arrived at the colosseum which was around the southeast part of the capital. It was so big, like damn. Could fill like more or less than 50,000 people? Do we even have that many people living here in the city? Don’t know, don’t matter, I guess. Important thing was that it was impressive.

We were brought to the rear of the building and entered inside. We were first greeted by the supervisor of the festival, Lucious’s uncle, Hevrik Fumine Vekenas. He rubbed his hands together as if relieving himself of anxiety before greeting us. It was a bit lengthy since he had to greet all of us.

When that was done, he led us to the royal box where we could oversee the arena. I inhaled sharply the moment we entered our box, at the front I could see the countless people. Holy shit, I’m gonna be in front of this amount of people? Fuuuuck. First time this ever happened. This was even more than the first day – or perhaps because I was not able to see everyone.

But still…

Fuck it, whatever.

I turned to look at the back side of the box and saw tables, and then inside my mind, narrowed my eyes at the dishes and desserts placed on them already. Strange, there should have been no food delivered yet. How do I know? That’s because we the royal family should have been the ones to provide with our own servants.

More than that, I know all proceedings and security procedures. Every single detail. I discussed and reviewed it with my father. And… I precisely said not to let anyone else outside to prepare our food. That was indeed how it normally goes, but I still heavily suggested it. Too dangerous.

And this was not part of the plan. Nor was this ever proposed. My chest burned in anger at the inconsistency, and my mind raced and became more alert.

Who the fuck caused this?

“Oh, we have food, I don’t think our servants have delivered yet?” I asked no one in particular.

“I prepared them, for you the royal family. As a surprise.” The one to respond was the Vekenas, the uncle. “I have prepared special dishes, and to show my greatest resolve to his and her majesty, I will be here to serve you. Just call on me if you need anything.”

You motherfucker.

Unacceptable. Does he have any idea what he just pulled? This piece of shit. I don’t care if he’s related to Lucious, but this? You just made things more dangerous for me.

One of the most dangerous things was inconsistency. Inconsistencies are signs which could mean anything, but anything could mean everything.

The Vekenas was smiling, but I see a strain in his smile. The edges kept going down slightly then back, as if he was forcing his smile. He was a little oily despite being morning, he could just be feeling warm. He had been rubbing his thumb to his own hand, I didn’t notice that mannerism when we first met.

“My household, specifically my wife, prepared them. I hope everyone will like it. Truth be told, she was very nervous about offering the dishes to the royal family. Please feel free to check them later.”

“That’s kind of you, Marquis.” My father responded. “We’ll be consuming them later then, we have only had our little breakfast. Give my thanks to your wife.”

Hm? Father seemed to not be very bothered by it, in fact, he didn’t seem too surprised. What? This does not ‘normally’ happen but does it happen often?

“Of course, I understand. Then, please sit.”

I walked ahead first, faking it with a smile and prancing steps of excitement. But I was intending to look at the chairs first, at every one we are about to sit down. I first checked mine, it was clear. Then while I turned around and slowly taking a seat, I looked at the others.

… Nothing weird.

You’ll never know, you know. There could needles there doused in poison. One prick and you could die. But still, I worry that I missed something, I didn’t take quite a good look at every single one. That being said, I know this was just me being paranoid.

When everyone sat down, there was no issue whatsoever. My parents, my brothers, and Lillie had no complaints.

I wonder if my father also found it suspicious in any way, in my impression they were friends, maybe. I’m afraid that might blind him. That being said, I need to think about what I can do myself in the future just in case. If it comes to it, I’ll handle it myself, to make sure everything goes well. Remember the time I relied on others? Yeah, it failed.

I turned my gaze at the Marquiz walking over to the side of the royals and stood, on standby for any order. It would seem I will need to keep an eye on him. Tch! There goes what was supposed to be my time of tiny leisure. Was intending to enjoy the fights a bit more, but that has gone to smoke.

And I was pretty interested in how people fight in this world…

Ugh.

A few minutes of waiting later, a presenter stepped foot unto the arena with a cylinder object in his hand. The same one the high bishop used as some sort of microphone. Technology in this world was fascinating, although inferior, but fascinating, I want to get ahold of some items they have one day, things that look magical.

I want to tinker around with them.

The presenter greeted the audience and then proceeded to announce the presence of royalty. All of us in the VIP booth stood up, and my family with Lillie began waving in the deafening and echoing cheers of the people upon thousands.

This number of people is insane, and I’m one at the center of attention.

As confident as I am with myself, still to face this number of people was a bit hard. I would have waved, but bear in mind I am the ever so innocent princess. Thus, I only stiffly smiled at everyone and stood.

This reminded me of the time I first came to the cathedral, the silent treatment. Made me think the people here were not cheering for me at all. Ugh dammit, my self-esteem is taking damage — stop!

When the waving was over, time to proceed to the main event. The presenter started with the rules and the reward of being the champion, then the fight with the monster later on.

Ah yes, the monster. Oooh, very exciting. I never saw what one looks like, apparently there were many kinds. But I’m still pretty excited to see one. I swear if they were just oversized animals, I’ll be damn disappointed. But the knights fight them like they were big deals, so they may not be normal oversized animals.

Is there an oversized hamster or puppy?

Okay, ignore that thought.

Then, it was time for the first duel.

The knights with us stepped forward to the edge and held out their hands. They cast a spell and a transparent barrier formed to protect us. It was to protect us from misfires. Not only us, but knights deployed around the colosseum conjured barriers to protect the audience, creating a dome that covers the arena.

I was already aware this would happen, that was why I was feeling a little safe. Not until this damn Marquis did something without telling us! Fuck you, Marquis!

The presenter announced the participants.

First was a man around his late twenties, with twin blades on his waist. He looked quite confident. His name was Rikus, and adventurer in the city. He was quite a high-ranking one as mentioned, so he should give a fair challenge, assuming that his enemy would be the same as him.

He stopped at his side of the arena.

Then it was time for his opposition.

The next person that came in was named Taneva.

He walked almost haughty, smiling widely as he peered around while mildly waving his hand. He was a handsome young man, I could tell from this distance, then he had long smoothly flowing bronze hair. In his hand was a plain simple spear, quality was no way near the weapons of his opposition.

Even so, he seemed confident, with no sign of nervousness or stiffness at all. Which was a little bit disturbing given his weak weapon.

But I suppose we should wait.

The presenter let the two of them speak to each other — well, not speak but rather taunt each other. I couldn’t hear what they were speaking of course. But the man Rikus seemed to feel confident about his victory, but Taneva gave a smirk of his own.

When they were done, they stepped away from each other and kept a distance between each other at ten paces. The presenter left the arena, then a moment later, a trumpet roared signaling the start of the fight.

The adventurer Rikus wasted no time and charged toward Taneva with his swords in hand. He moved faster than any normal human that if this was in my old world I would have screamed bullshit. But now I wasn’t surprised, fighters in this world have skills that are considered normal here but not in my old world.

Rikus was on the move to make his strike, however, Taneva failed to react. Or rather, perhaps he was too slow to respond? His eyes did seem to follow Rikus’s movement, but perhaps his body was slower than his opponent's. Taneva held his spear in both hands and placed the pole in front of him as if to block the attack he was anticipating.

However, Rikus seemed to have expected this, and with swift feet, he slid behind Taneva. Taneva tried to turn around in response, but Rikus had already swung his blade, slashing Taneva’s back. He immediately bled and collapsed to the ground.

Hm, so much for a safe competition. And… that was disappointing. I was expecting something special from his confidence. In any case, it was still in accordance with the rules, that slash wasn’t fatal. I slightly covered my eyes with a hand, apparently bothered by the blood. But of course I was taking a peek. Hm, I’m acting here but everyone’s attention was on the fight…

Then, to everyone’s surprise, Taneva who collapsed on the ground suddenly stood up, his face lacked any sign of pain.

He then spoke to Rikus. I can barely make up what they were saying, but Taneva should be saying something like “Is that all?”

Taneva sighed, looking genuinely disappointed. Then I surmised what he said next was “You have nothing special.” I might have missed some, but you have to give me credit I could tell from this distance. But my guess consisted of assumptions, mostly, so take it with a grain of salt. I should learn the eye zooming spell thingy from the royal grimoire.

Taneva appeared to continue speaking and Rikus looked like he was pretty offended and disturbed. He slashed Taneva’s torso, prompting Taneva to step back in the attack but remained standing. The latter shook his head. It all seemed like he deliberately let Rikus strike him.

“What is going on? What is he thinking? Father?” Estevan asked Father, as he was pretty confused himself.

“I also don’t understand. But any more, the fight must be stopped. Otherwise, he will bleed to death.”

Yeah, he really took that deadly hit. Does he have a death wish or something? No one sane would do that. I wouldn’t let even anyone do me like that.

Then green light appeared on Taneva’s hand, the light was so bright as he directed it at himself, I had a guess at what it was, but it didn’t seem necessary to directly point the light at his wounds. All his bleeding stopped, and his wounds healed. My eyes widened at that powerful healing spell.

I leaned forward and observed closely.

Taneva flourished his spear and pointed the tip at his opponent. He stepped forward and did a strike. Rikus slashed his spear with his swords and tried to cut him, but Taneva trivially blocked his swords with the tip of his spear. He did it so casually that it was almost hilarious, like an adult playing with a child.

Then as if tired of it, Taneva spun his spear and struck his opponent on the stomach with the bottom of his spear. Rikus’s face distorted in sudden pain, causing a pause in his defense. Taking this opportunity, Taneva pulled back his spear, then with an arcing flourish, he stepped forward and slammed his spear on the back of his enemy.

That knocked the sense out of his enemy, and Rikus fell to the ground.

It went pretty easily to Taneva.

Um… was this normal? Was that what an average battle would look like? I was following Taneva’s attacks, but you’ll never know, you know.

“Huh, that was an impressive skill set.” my father remarked.

“Indeed, I imagine he would be around the level of an elite knight, at the level of Rogan.” Estevan added.

Those two are so into this. Rogan, as the one mentioned, combed back his hair.

“Oh please, how could you say he’s at my level with only seeing that, your highness? Don’t you think I’m something more?”

“Hehe, that’s just what I think after seeing his movements and skills in the spear. Technique is still a deciding factor.”

“And magic. He also didn’t use any magic.”

“Yes indeed.”

Seeing that Rikus was out of commission, Taneva was announced to be the winner of the duel. The crowd cheered, with some sad and disappointed. Looks like someone lost some bets. Might be wondering how I could tell… there are some people close to us okay? Enough that I can roughly tell from their faces.

Taneva bowed deeply at the royal booth and then waved at the crowd with a bright smile.

What a weird guy. Who the hell takes some hits and then demolishes someone shortly after? You flexing or something? It’s insane and almost stupid that someone just takes attacks as if they believe they were durable enough to take all kinds of attacks.

I would rather take the first shot. Better safe than sorry.

 

"Colosseum" has 3 parts.

48