Vol. 2 Chapter 57: A Devil In Disguise (Part 2)
1.4k 4 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hevrik lingered in his office while drinking a hot tea by his desk, his heart racing gradually at every second that passed. He already wore a presentable outfit for formal occasions. He could have gone ahead, but he needed time to calm down.

The one he would be meeting was not to be trifled with, absolutely. They could do anything to him if they wanted, thus he was trying to think of a way for him to survive. He sighed and finished his tea. In the end he could not stay here forever, he needs to face the deadly threat head-on.

Now his cup empty he turned to his window and took in a deep breath. About less than an hour now before midnight. The meeting spot was not that far, and he had already gone there before, he knew how much time it takes to arrive there, thus he should be able to get there in time.

He left his office and traversed the empty manor halls, everyone else including the servants have been sent to their rooms to rest for the day. Guards may be designated outside the building, but they will not be coming with him.

When he exited the front doors, a carriage was already waiting for him. The coachman tipped his head to greet the Marquis.

“Good evening, Marquis.”

“Evening, Eto. How’s the wife?”

“Ah, she’s pregnant.”

“A second child then, congratulations.”

“Thanks. I hope for it to be a daughter this time.”

“Not a son?”

“For variety. Already have a son who’s totally stubborn, I don’t want another one. A daughter might save me from the stress.”

“Heh, I suppose it would.”

The Marquis opened the door of the carriage. “Same place last time.”

“Got it.”

When he got in, the carriage began moving and left through the gates.

***

Eventually they arrived at their destination, it should be around the strike of midnight now. Although the carriage stopped a small distance away from the point of meeting as the coachman had no business hearing nor seeing anything. He was a loyal servant, Hevrik helped him on some occasions and saved his wife when she was sick by giving them medicines.

That being said, there were things even a loyal servant must not learn about their master. Even now, the servant only knew that this meeting was a meeting with a business partner, and nothing else. Something top secret that it needed to be taken place in a secluded area.

Never does anyone knew that what was discussed here would harm the kingdom severely.

“Behave as always, we don’t want to disturb my accomplices.”

“Yes, sir.”

The meeting place was surrounded by vegetation and trees, the ground filled with grass, and insects sounded in the area. No one particularly lived here now as people were moved closer to where the people were centered, to enhance traffic, as was said. In particular, to develop the traffic of goods.

Now, what remained here was an old house made up of bricks and wood, the roof had already gone with only the walls remaining. But to Hevrik’s surprise, a lone person was already standing by the door. He appeared to have been waiting.

They were early.

The guard in the cloak with a hood covering his head, glared at him before opening the old wooden door. Inside was a man in average clothing sitting on a chair, the hood of his cloak drawn over his head, his hand playing on the table.

He turned to look at Hevrik with displeasure apparent on his face.

“Sit.” he briefly said.

Hevrik complied with no hesitation. “My apologies—”

“Yes, you failed. It made a great setback to our plan. For such a simple thing, you are a disappointment.”

“...”

“If we at least had the king killed, it could have shaken the entire kingdom, just enough for us to grab the opportunity. But now…”

Hevrik bit his lip. These people’s target was the head of the kingdom, all in order to continue with their devious plan. A plan that will bring chaos upon Hevrik’s dear homeland. He would have fought against them, but he cannot, they have ahold of his weakness.

“If you have succeeded, we would have given you an enviable position in the new regime. But, if you fail, remember what we discussed? Come on, say it.”

Hevrik lowered his head. “My head, and my family’s.”

“Yes… I’m surprised you even dared to show your face here. Need I tell you this isn’t bravery but rather foolishness?”

“There is still a chance.”

“Oh?”

Hevrik clenched his fists. “The festival is yet to be over, I will find an opportunity in the next event.”

“Did you not even think that you are already suspected?”

“If they did, I would not be here now.”

“... I suppose. But you failed the deal, that was a one time opportunity. A clean one. And the poison, that’s all we had.”

“I still have enough for one cup.”

The man scrutinized him. “... Very well. You and your family will be spared for now. But if you fail tomorrow, everything ends for you.”

“Yes, I understand.”

“Absolutely do not fail. Kill the king, add the queen as a bonus if you can. Myra’s guard is tightening, and Wisteria is bolstering its army, moving more soldiers to their borders. If it fails tomorrow, we will have to delay. I would be deeply displeased if that happens, you and your family’s fate will not be a swift death.”

“Yes…”

“Good. Coming here is not a waste, after all. Remember, if you get discovered and apprehended, mark my words, you won’t reach a jail cell.”

Hevrik understood that all too well, he will likely even be taken down on the spot without being able to say anything.

“We are dismissed.” The man stood up with a smile. “Don’t disappoint, Marquis.”

Hevrik remained sitting as he watched them go and disappear into the darkness. It was at that moment he let out a heavy sigh, the weight on his back lightened a little. He controlled his breathing.

I need to finish this.

He could not handle it any longer. He cannot bear the thought of his family under threat. Thus, he must kill the king tomorrow.

He stood up and left the ruined building. When he reached his carriage, the coachman curiously looked at him.

“Something troubling you, sir?”

Hevrik looked up at him and shrugged. “A little, but nothing I can’t handle.”

“Of course.”

“Let’s go back, I need to rest as much as possible.”

“Alright!”

Hevrik entered the carriage and then sat down on the soft seat with relief. He waited for the shake of the carriage, but after a few seconds, the carriage never moved.

“Eto? We can go.” He said.

However, there was no response. In that same moment the carriage door opened and a hooded person appeared.

“What—”

“Don’t move.” the person threatened him with an exquisite dagger in hand. The voice was feminine, so soft and sweet, it was familiar.

“You would threaten a nob—?” he said in an attempt to threaten the intruder but stopped immediately when the stranger came into the light.

That was because he saw a glimpse of her hair as she stepped inside — white hair. Then a pair of eyes looked at him from underneath the hood, they were as beautiful and mesmerizing as crimson jewels. The stranger sat down on the seat across from him and closed the door. It was then that after the stranger lowered her hood that Hevrik was made certain of who this person was. Skin so pale, and a face so beautiful.

How could someone not recognize this person at a single glance? She was a girl that would leave a mark on anyone’s mind.

In shock, Hevrik muttered the person's name. “P-Princess Estelia…?”

48