Conversations and Revelations
74 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Sorry for any confusion, but I decided a chapter I was saving for later actually works better earlier in the story.  It's called "Boss with Benefits."

Similarly, I'll have to retcon Chapter 1 to introduce Zach and Scott's suite mates, Tommie and Owen.  They are getting their own story, and I hope to publish it's first chapter soon.

Between the wind noise, the big tires and the engine, it's impossible to have a conversation in an open-top Jeep at highway speeds.  That was a blessing and curse.  It gave me time to think about what to say to Tenny, and I had nothing to distract me from my upcoming conversation.

We pulled into campus and up to my dorm.  Before I could get out, Sylvia leaned forward and said into my ear, "Thanks for a great night!" When I looked at her to say "You're welcome!," she kissed me on the lips.

Then Avery really surprised with a kiss, too.

I grabbed my bookbag, got out and turned around to face them.  "You're welcome," I said to Sylvia, and  “Thanks for the ride, Avery.  If you get that homecoming date, email me some pictures?  From both of you?"

"Definitely."

Sylvia climbed into the front seat, buckled in, and Avery put the Jeep in gear and drove off.

I threw my bag over my shoulder and walked up to my dorm room.

Scott was out when I got back to our room.  Grateful for a reprieve from awkward questions, I got some clean clothes and headed for the shower. 

I washed myself three times head to toe with soap and hot water to get Sylvia's scent off me.   Scent is linked to memories and emotions, and I didn't want them getting in the way when I talked to Tenny.

After I got out, I bit the bullet and called her.

She answered with "Where the hell were you?  You had me so worried!"

"I'm sorry!  I would have called you, but I didn't have my phone with me."

"Why not?  You usually have it."

"It's kind of complicated, and it would be easier to explain in person.  Can we meet by the tree?"

"Okay.  I'm home at my parents' house. I'll call you after dinner when I'm on my way."

"Okay, good.  I did get Caleb to say he'd talk to that jerk.  And, I'm sorry for making you worry!"

"I'm still mad at you, but at least I'm not worried any more.  I gotta go.  I'm helping Mom with stuff.  I'll talk to you later."

"Okay.  Bye!"

"Bye!“

I returned Ashley's call next.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Ash.  It's me."

"Where've you been?

"Remember how we talked about asking that werewolf if he'd talk to that racist bastard?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, I did, and he agreed, but it didn't go the way I intended."

"What happened?"

"I made a mistake.  I saw him after the game loading his gear into his car.  Since no one else was within earshot, I figured it was a good time to ask.  I should have told him I was a cougar first.  Instead, I said I knew he was a wolf, and before I could say anything else, I was locked in his trunk.  Between the V8 exhaust and his stereo, he couldn't hear me."

 I told her the whole story about Avery and Sylvia, the midnight chat with Mrs. J., and breakfast the next morning.

"Hmm.  Despite the rough beginning, it seems like it worked out all right.  What did Tenny say about it?“

"I haven't told her yet.  She's at her folks', and I want to tell her face to face.  We're meeting later."

"That's a good idea.   Speaking of meeting, I haven't met her yet.  Why don't you bring her up to the ranch for a cookout?  Raul wants to meet you, too.“

"If she's still talking to me after tonight, I'll ask her and let you know.“

"Sounds good.  Hey, are you available this week? 

"Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons.  What's up?"

"Frank called."  Frank was Ash's electrical contractor.  "He's down two guys.  One is sick, and another had a nasty fall.  He won't have enough people to finish the Basse Road job on schedule.  I want to do all the prep work, so all they need to do is run the wires and make the connections."

"Sure.  I'll be there."

"Don't over-commit.  Hopefully, you'll be dividing your time between college, work and a girlfriend soon!“

"Hopefully," I said, not too confidently.

"I can't say how she'll react, but besides that, you've got this!  You're more confident than the kid I met six months ago."

"You think so?“

"Definitely.  Tell me. What kind of relationship do you want with her?"

"I want to be ... her boyfriend," I said, hesitantly, "but if that doesn't work out, I want to be her friend.  It's been good for both of us, I think.  We can relax with each other, without constantly having to be on guard so nothing slips out."

"Yeah, I wish I had that when I was in your shoes.  Dr.  Hennessey helped me as much as he could, but the age gap got in the way."

"Was he older than you are more?"

After a moment, she said l asked,  "Zach, how old do you think I am?"

"I don't know.  Before last night, I'd have said thirtyish.  I'm not sure now.   Mrs. Johnston looks your age, but she has a twenty year old son."

"Yeah, I'm closer to forty than thirty.  He's a country doctor out near Amarillo now.  He had to leave town to avoid awkward questions.  Too many people here were saying how good he looked for his age, so he moved.  I should have a few more years before I'll have to think about that."

"Is this what you meant by having long, healthy lives?  Is it something I'll have to worry about?"

"Dr. Hennessey looks like he's in his lower forties.  I think he's over sixty.  Start your retirement savings now."

"Um, okay.  Anyway, I need to get my homework done before I meet Ten.  See you Tuesday?“

"Yup!  Good night, and good luck!“

"Thanks! Bye!“

I had barely got my homework out when one of my suitemates, Tommie, got home.  I heard her unlock her door, go inside, and soon after she knocked on our door to the bathroom Scott and I shared with her and Owen.

I sighed, and said, "Come in."

She opened the door, looked at me and said, "Oh, is it a bad time?“

"Not yet.  I just need to get my homework done, and I was about start."

Tommie must have just gotten back from running.  A tall, leggy brunette, she was one of those blessed few women that manage to have both abs and natural curves.  Her sports bra and snug running shorts emphasized both.  She was beautiful. Even her sweat smelled clean.

Something about her began bothering my brain, but I couldn't figure out what.

"I saw you in that Jeep with those two girls this morning.  I just wanted to make sure everything was all right with Tennie."

"Oh, that. Yeah.  Um, I asked  Caleb Johnston if he could talk to one of his teammates who has been harassing Ten and me.  Mostly her."

"Trey Jones."

"Yeah, you know him?“

"You two aren't his only victims."

"Oh, well anyway, I ended up going to Cale's house for dinner, and spending the night.  His kid sister gave me a ride home."

"Uh huh, and kissed you in the parking lot.  Zach, Tennie is the only girl on campus safe for you to date.  I'd hate to see you mess it up."

'Fuck!' I thought. 'She knows!' How she's she know? '

I got my legs under me, and  started to tackle her, with no plan for what I'd do then.  I'd figure it out then.

She suddenly went from merely hot to inhumanly, luminously beautiful.  My legs collapsed and I sprawled on the floor.  A holy awe stopped me from doing anything else.  Harming her would be sinful.

She walked over to me, took my hands, helped me to my feet, led me to my bed, and sat next to me.  The glowing aura faded away as she let go of my hands.

"Wh- wh- what was that?"  I said, almost too overwhelmed to talk.  Suddenly, it clicked.  How was a girl living in a suite with three guys on a college campus?  "Wait!  Weren't you a guy last year?“

"Yes, yes I was."

"How...?"

"It's a long story, and a rather strange one.  Still, I think a someone like you might believe it."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know exactly what you are, but somehow over the summer, you became something other than a normal human.  I can feel it.  And Tenny isn't exactly like you are, but she's something similar."

I reluctantly nodded.

"Did it even occur to you that your kind might not be alone?  There may be others that are ... supernatural?"

"Yeah, I guess..."

"Well, last January, something I said caught the attention of one of the ancient powers.  Aphrodite.  Yes, she's real.  I had pleased Her, and She wanted to grant me a favor.  I asked if she could help me truly understand women.  She said the only way to grok women was to be one, and that was more than a favor.  Long story short, in return for what I asked for, I agreed to be Her priestess here on earth for a year and a day. To stop you, I borrowed a smidge of Her glory."

"Oh.  Wow.  So, all last semester you were a woman, and I didn't notice?  And after a year, you turn back into a guy?"

"Yes, and that is the deal."

"You don't sound too sure."

"I'm enjoying this.  I'm learning a lot, helping people, and... having fun." Her voice dropped for the last bit, conveyed what kind of fun she meant.  "Right now, I'm not ready to let it go.  I mean, I wasn't trans.  I liked being a guy, but I'm learning too much.  When the year is up, I think I'll be ready to go back, but I'm not yet." 

"Your right.  If something strange hadn't happened to me, I wouldn't believe it."

"It's what you are that makes even able to notice it.  Aphrodite made it so most people wouldn't." She paused, then asked, "So, what exactly are you?“

"Remember the personal ad Scott placed for me last semester?“

"The one looking for a cougar?“

"Yeah well, she really is a cougar.  A were-cougar, and over the summer, she changed me into one.  And unlike you, I don't get a chance to go back."

"How do you feel about that?“

"Mixed..." I said.  "I love being a cougar, and what it's done for my body.  I'm stronger and faster than I've ever been.  I love the night vision, hearing and sense of smell, mostly.  Being in a crowd can be rough, though.  All the noise and scents can be overwhelming."

"I hate the constant fear of getting caught or letting something slip.  I mean, like, I can't tell Mom that Dad is cheating, because of how I know.  I smelled his scent on his office manager. Normal people can't smell who someone has had sex with from ten feet away."

"In a way, it's similar for me," she said.  I sense things about people and their relationships that I have no earthly way of knowing.  That show Owen likes so much has a line about 'Fourteen words to make someone fall in love with you forever. Seven words to make them go without pain.'  That's my everyday life.  I'm constantly aware that if I give two people a nudge, they'll fall in love, or that someone needs a push to get out of an abusive relationship.  It's more responsibility than I'm ready for."

"So, how did you know we aren't normal?"

"Yes, well, I serve the Goddess of Love." 

"We're not lovers."

"Not yet, anyway.  Tenny means a lot to you, doesn't she?"  

"Yes."

"You two are part of the numinous world - the sacred, secret world that is hidden by the mundane.  And, you're quickly becoming more than friends.  Even though it's not sexual, the bond between you two is in Her domain."

She paused, and before I could answer, she asked.  "Zach?  What do you feel for her? Do you love her?  What do you want?"

"I..." 

She put her hand on mine.  "You're talking to a priestess of love, Zack.  Be honest. With yourself and with me.  I don't judge, unless you want to hurt her."

Before I could think, "I want to be her lover" spilled out of my mouth.

She smiled warmly.  "What's holding you back?"

"You know what I looked like last year.  I'm not used to attention from women.  I think I friend-zoned myself."

"Is that it?“

"That and I'm afraid of losing her if I do something wrong.  I want her in my life."

"Even if you're not lovers?“

"Well, I am attracted to her.  She's beautiful and I'm straight, but last night made me think a lot about it.  I want her in my life, even if we're not lovers."

"That.  Tell her that."

"You think it would work?"

"It has a good shot."

I smiled.  She smiled back.  "Before you ask, I can't give you a potion or spell to make her love you.  It has to be her choice.  I can give you this, though."  She got up leaned over and kissed me on my forehead.  A burst of energy flooded from her lips, swirled around he body, and coalesced next to my heart.  "It won't affect her directly.  It should, if I did it right, help you express your feelings to her.“

With that, she said "Good luck!"  and went back into the bathroom.  A few moments later, I heard her turn on the shower.  As if she needed one.  Priestess of love or not, it wasn't fair that she could go running on a 90° day and still smell great afterwards.

I grabbed my math book and turned to my homework.  Time to occupy my brain with logic, and let my subconscious deal with the weird, emotional stuff.  

But before I did, I pulled up an online dictionary on my computer.

Announcement

"Numinous (/ˈnjuːmɪnəs/) is a term derived from the Latin numen, meaning
"arousing spiritual or religious emotion; mysterious or awe-inspiring."

0