A big step
46 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I finished my homework, and headed up to the spot on the bluff where Tenny and I met.  It had become our regular haunt. A smooth-topped bolder just large enough for two to sit on, if they were friends, offered both concealment and a view.  The cat side of me appreciated that.

I recognized her footsteps coming through the woods, and turned around as she stepped around a tree.  The late afternoon sun slanted through the trees, giving her dark skin a warm glow.  She was wearing a thigh-length green dress and sandals, and she smiled when she saw me.  Simultaneously happy to see her and nervous about what I was about to tell her, I smiled back and moved over so she could sit next to me.

She sat down, smoothing her dress under her long legs.  She took a long breath, then said, "What is it?"

One thing Ashley taught me is werefolk need to be honest with each other about emotions.  It's hard to lie about them when our scents will give them away.

"It was an... interesting weekend, and I feel I should tell you about some stuff that happened.  I don't know how you're going to react."

"That bad?"

"I don't know.  Maybe?  Can you try to listen to the whole story before making a decision on it?"

"Whoah, that sounds like the kind of thing you say before saying something bad.  And your scent is confusing me."

"If I smell happy and hopeful and nervous and scared, that's because it's exactly how I feel, I said, with a nervous smile.  "I ... did some things that made me realize how much you mean to me.  And I'm afraid that the same things will push you away." At her confused look, I said,  "Maybe I should just tell you."

And for the third time that day, I told the tale of Caleb's trunk, his argument with his father, and his sister and her best friend.  I paused before my talk with Mrs. J.  to see how she was taking it.

Her expression was unreadable.  Her scent gave me little more to work with.  She said in a flat voice, "Do you have any regrets?“

Then I felt it.  A spark of warmth next to my heart, where Tommie's blessing nestled.  Looking at my feet, I said, "I'm embarrassed about thinking with my crotch instead of my head."

"Is that all?"

"No, it's not."  The spark got a little brighter.  I mentally leaned into it and, introvert that I was and am, I found the strength to make eye contact as I said, "Ten, you're really my best friend.  The only one I can be myself with, without hiding who and what I've become.  If what I did last night hurt you, hurt our friendship, I will regret that.  A lot."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome," I said, somewhat confused, "but what are you thanking me for?"

"For being a friend.  I know what you mean about not being able to share.  And saying you'd regret hurting our friendship helps.  It means you care.  Not all boys do."

"I told you about my dad having an affair, and how that made me hurt for my mom.  I promised myself I wouldn't do that, only to risk it with you." 

"Well, we're not lovers, so you don't have to worry."

My heart fell at that.  Did she mean she didn't want to be?  "Would you want to be?"  I touched her hand briefly.  "I'd be willing to try, if you are.  I mean, I want you in my life.  If that means being friends, then I'll accept that and be happy, but I'd be willing to try for more if you are."

She smiled a little, and said, "I'll have to think about it."

"That's all I can ask."

We sat together and watched the sun set as I told her about my conversation with Mrs. J., and breakfast.  The part about convincing Caleb to take Sylvie to the dance seemed to please her.

"I need to finish up some reading for class tomorrow," she said.  

"Okay.  Can I walk you back to your dorm?"

"Sure."

We had walked about halfway in a companionable silence, when I felt her hand take mine.  I looked over at her, but she continued facing forward.   A few steps later, she looked at me out of the corner of her eye for a second, then looked forward again. A small smile played at the corners of her lips and stayed there.  We walked the rest of the way without talking. I was amazed by how such small things like the feel of her hand in mine and a hint of a smile could feel so wonderful.

When we reached her dorm, she turned to face me, took my other hand in hers, and looked me in the eyes.  Her scent was a blend of nervous happiness.  That matched how I felt.

I don't know who started it, but her hands slid up my arms and around my neck, as mine wrapped around her waist. Her face nestled into the angle of my shoulder and neck, her curly hair tickled my ear, and her torso and thighs pressed against mine in a full body hug, not the shoulders-only friend-zone hug girls do.  

After a minute or so, I realized I was holding my breath.  I let it out in a happy sigh, only for it to turn into a purr halfway.  A loud one.  I stopped, embarrassed, and the quiet was filled with her chuckle, followed by a quieter purr of her own.  I responded in kind, and we stood in each other's arms, purring softly together.  I never knew that purring could be an emotion, but that's the only way I can describe it.  A happy contentment.  Purr.

The scent of her right below my nose, the warmth of her body, and the sound and vibration of her purr filled my senses.  I opened my eyes to find her forehead at the level of my mouth.  Only half-aware how big a step it was, I kissed it.

She slid one hand up the back of my neck and behind my head, and pulled me down into a warm, lush kiss.  Our lips softly buzzed together from our combined purrs.  After several kisses, I parted my lips, inviting her to go further.  She didn't, so I did it again, a little wider, a little longer.  The third time, I took a chance and lightly touched her upper lip with my tongue tip.

She broke of the kiss and stopped purring. I started to think i made a mistake, when I heard footsteps in the hallway of the dorm behind her.  The door opened and a woman's voice said, "Tendy!  You go, girl!"

She looked at me quietly as the  footsteps faded away down the concrete walk.  She said softly, for my ears only, "Oh, I fully intend to!"  We resumed, this time with more ardor.  She lifted one foot up, skin on skin as the inside of her knee brushed the outside of mine below my shorts, and her ankle wrapped around the inside of my calf.  Her wet velvet tongue teased mine as she squeezed our bodies together.  

What had been a trickle  became a flow of blood to my groin.  I was feeling a bit embarrassed until she hiked her knee up higher.  Lifting her skirt a bit more released the scent of her own arousal.

She broke off the kiss but still held me tight with both arms and one leg.  "We'd better stop before we get carried away.  I still have work to do for tomorrow."

"What happened to fully intending to?"

"Oh, I do!  Not tonight, though.  Besides, I have to give you something to look forward to.  And my parents want to meet you before we get too close."

"By the way," she said as she pressed her hip into my erection, "I'll take this as a compliment."  She put her foot down, ran her hands down my arms until she held my hands in hers, and took a step back.  "See you tomorrow?"

"Definitely! I have to work in the afternoon, though.  Can I meet you for lunch?  Or tomorrow night?"

"12:30 at the dining hall?"

"Sure.  I won't be able to stay too long, but I want to see you!"

"Good! It's a date!" She walked backwards until our hands parted, and turned around as she pulled her student ID out of her purse.  She swiped it through the electronic lock and went inside.  She watched me through the glass as the door closed behind her, waved, and walked down the hall.

I stood there and listened to her footsteps recede.  She stopped, a door opened, and, as I heard it close behind her, someone, I assume her roommate, said, "Well, don't you look like the cat that got the canary?"

With a huge, euphoric smile on my face an a bit nervous about her parents, I walked down the hill towards my own dorm.  Where the path entered the shadows beneath the trees, the high I felt came crashing down.  I had walked into a scent cloud of anger and loathing.  Someone had seethed here, in full view of our kiss, for quite a while, then walked off, quite recently.

Someone whose scent I knew.

Trey Jones.

This video is about dogs, but I find it fascinating, thinking about how different senses would affect how different creatures interact with the world.  

I've been applying the ideas from this video and others like it to my werecats, but toning it down a bit. Cat noses, while still much sharper than ours, are not as good as canines', and since they're less social, they might not use them in the same way.  

Those are assumptions on my part, but I think it adds to the story.  Let me know whether you agree.

Nature's Supercomputer Lives on your Dog

0