Stalker
45 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stalking.

Every sense, every nerve, every instinct, every thought focused on my prey, I stalked.

Approaching from downwind, nose analyzing their scents, eyes focused on every movement, ears on every sound, whiskers on every shift in the wind, paw pads testing the ground before putting weight on every step, sensitive to any leaf that would crunch or twig that would crack.

I slowly, stealthily, silently crept through the long grass and scrubby trees.  After a half hour or more, I was almost in pouncing range, and they hadn't noticed me yet.

Considering I've only been a werecougar for four months, I'm pretty okay at hunting.  I've caught several rabbits for the pot, and I got my first deer at the end of the summer.

But I could always get something out of the fridge if my hunt failed.  Until now.  In this hunt, I had something to lose.  Something of great value to me.

To prove myself worthy of dating his daughter, Tenny's father said I had to catch one of her younger twin brothers.  He was so cocksure I'd fail when he said it.  That just made me that much more determined not to.

Kobe, Akida and I undressed and shifted into our cat forms.  When Tenny's father said "Go!", the two young cheetahs sprinted off the patio, across the lawn and into the scrub beyond.  Knowing cheetahs are fast and seeing it are two different things.  Mouth agape, I looked at Tenny.  She was laughing behind her hand.  I shook my head and trotted off after them.

I'd never catch a cheetah in a sprint.  Arctic wolves take down caribou using endurance, denying their prey time to recover until it drops from exhaustion.  If I were a werewolf, I could do that to a cheetah, but I'm not that kind of hunter. 

There are more ways to kill a cat than choking it with butter, though.  I was neither a sprinter nor a distance runner, but I wasn't out of options.  I could ambush, or stalk.  

They had stopped in the middle of a disused field. I thought about setting up an ambush, but I couldn't be sure which way they'd go back to the house.  If the mountain wouldn't come to the cougar, then, well, you know what I mean.

The breeze started to die.  I had been counting on it too cover any small noises I made. I quickly slinked into the shade of a scrubby tree and froze.  Above me in the branches, a crow started softly cawing and clucking.   

Kobe looked up at it, curious.  Shit!  If he happened to look down... 

Ever since learning my suitemates were a priestess to Aphrodite and a druid serving Cernunnos, the Celtic forest god, I had taken more interest in the beliefs of my distant ancestors.  I wasn't sure I wanted to draw the attention of one of the old gods onto myself, but, damnit, Tenny was worth it!

He took a step closer, then another.  The crow continued making noises and flitting from branch to branch.  

I thought loudly, “Morrigan, crow-goddess, if you're listening, I'm no warrior to ask for your favor, but if your friend up there would not spoil my hunt, I'd very much appreciate it.  Unfortunately, I can't offer lunch for him or her.  It's not that kind of hunt."

The crow was silent for about two seconds, then let out a loud squawk.  If anything, its antics became even worse.  I never took my eyes off Kobe, but could hear it flapping it's wings and cawing loudly.  I hoped the Morrigan wasn't having fun with me.

Kobe, curiosity focused on the crow, moved a little closer closer.  If he took one more step...

I slowly raised my hips, wiggling them slightly as I set my hindpaws for a pounce.

He took the step.

Uncoiling my back legs like springs, front paws outstretched, I burst out from under the tree.

We aren't runners, but cougars are prodigious leapers.

Kobe's eyes grew as big as pie plates. He turned to run, hoping his explosive acceleration would save him.

I landed where he had just been, and instantly leapt again. I barely caught his hind leg with a forepaw, but it was enough to trip him. He crashed and rolled.  One more jump and I was on him, jaws softly clenched on the back of his neck.  He stopped struggling.

I half-shifted, release his neck, and asked, "Are you okay?" He nodded yes, so I let go, stood and extended a hand to help him up. He half-shifted and took it.

I helped him up, then dropped to one knee, still grasping his hand.  I wrapped my other arm around his legs and stood up with him across my shoulders in a fireman's carry.

I looked back at the tree.  The crow was still there, looking back at me and somehow looking smug and self-satisfied.  Oddly, it had one reddish flight feather on its left wing.  I nodded my thanks, and I swear it nodded back.

With Kobe on my shoulders and his twin, still cat-shaped, jogging in circles around us, we headed back to the house.

==^..^==

Like his sister, Kobe was built for speed, light and fast.  He probably weighed less than 140 lbs to my 220.  Even with his weight on my shoulders, it didn't take long to get back to the house.

Tenny and her mom were smiling broadly as I carried him the up the stairs to the patio.  Her father all but literally had a thundercloud over his head.

"Kobe!" He yelled. "What's wrong with you, letting this slowpoke chase you down?"

I set Kobe on his feet, and said, "I didn't chase him."

He glared at him and yelled, "what did you do?  Give up willingly?"

"No, Father, I didn't.  He caught me fair and square."

"I'm not stupid.  There's no way he could have caught you!"

I cut in, "I almost didn't.  He got a little too close to the tree I was hiding under, so I pounced.  He turned and ran, and I barely managed to trip him before he got out of reach.  A few more inches and I would have missed."

Still looking at his son, he said, "With your speed, he never should have gotten that close!“

"Mr. Waweru, you wanted me to prove myself worthy of your daughter.  How could I do that by playing a game I could never win?"

"He's got a point there, dear," Tenny's mom said.  "He passed your challenge.  Accept it with good grace. Now, let's eat!"

It's then that I noticed that the table was full of food.  Tenny walked up to me, kissed my cheek, and led me to our seats.  We sat on one side of the rectangular table.  The twins sat across from us, and their parents sat at the ends.

The table was full of food, ranging from appetizers, meats, vegetable dishes and breads.  Despite the unfamiliar ingredients and spices mingling in my nose, it all smelled wonderful.  I hesitated, partly due to the unfamiliar food, and partly in case they wanted to say grace. 

Tenny smiled and said, "Help yourself!" as she scooped something indescribable and colorful onto her plate.

"It all smells so delicious!  I don't know where to start.“

She took pity on me, said, "I think you'll like these," and filled my plate.

I took a bite of a vegetable dish, mmm'ed my appreciation, and decided to attempt some fence mending with her father.

"Mr. Waweru, can I ask you something?“

He looked at me, and nodded yes.

"I noticed the pickup out front when I got here." A  company name, Advance Electrical, was painted on the side of the truck.  "Are you an electrician?"

"Yes, I own the company."

"Oh, good.  My employer is remodeling a small apartment building.  Her usual electrician is short-staffed and can't get to her project before the sheetrock contractor is scheduled.  Could you take on a sizeable job with short notice?"

"I think I could squeeze something in.  How big is it?"

"Six apartments on three floors.  We're bringing the whole building up to current code.  All the walls are opened up, and the old wiring is gone.  We just need someone to install the new circuit breakers, wiring, switches and outlets."

For some reason, Tenny, her mom and brothers were all looking at her dad expectantly.  

"How soon do you need it?"

"She has a couple weeks before the sheetrock crew comes."  

"Well, my schedule just opened up."

"Great!  If you could get me some references before I leave,  I'll give them to Ashley.  I think she'd like giving business to a fellow cat."

That seemed to lighten the mood considerably.  Tenny squeezed my hand under the table, and her mom kept my plate full, explaining each dish as she put it on my plate.  I think I retained maybe a quarter of what she told me. Finally, I had to stop her.  I couldn't eat another bite.

Then she brought out dessert.  I somehow find more room

The time came for me to go.  I didn't want to overstay my welcome, and I had homework due the next day.

Mr. Waweru gave me a list of references.  I accepted it with thanks and extended my hand.  He shook it, which I took as a good sign.  Mrs. Waweru gave me a hug and a bunch of leftovers in plastic containers, and asked if I could come for dinner the following Sunday.  I said thanks for the food, and I'd let her know.

Tenny walked me out to my car.  I put the leftovers and references in the passenger seat, saying, "I don't know what I'm going to do with all this.  It won't fit in our fridge."

"Share it.  As long as someone  enjoys it, she'll be happy."

"I could give some to that guy upstairs."  All I knew about him was he was from Africa and had an accent that, to my ears anyway, sounded like Mrs. Waweru's.

"Yes, do that!"

She pulled me into an embrace, a full body hug.  With her head on my shoulder, she said, "I'm so glad you won!  I... I don't know what I would have done.  Losing you or defying my father are both bad choices."

“I'm glad, too!  You're worth it!"

"Thanks!  Are you sure Kobe didn't let you win?“

"I'm sure.  The one thing he did wrong was get distracted by a crow when I was in pounce range.  Why?"

"He's the sort of brother that would risk my dad's anger to make me happy."

"I like him.  I'm not sure about your father yet, but I really like  your mom and brothers."

"He'll come around. Giving him a lead on work was a great move.  He just had a client go bankrupt, and he doesn't even know if he'll get paid for the work."

"That's gotta be rough!"

"It is.  I'd better let you go.  See you tomorrow?"

"Definitely!  Lunch, maybe?"

"Sure!" She said, and gave me a long, soft, lingering kiss.  "See you then!"

I got in the car, put it in gear, waved goodbye and drove off.  In my mirror, I could see her at the end of the driveway watching me drive away until I was out of sight.

1