Chapter 9: Assimilate
75 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nana prefers a peaceful lifestyle however she understands first hand how bad it is being passive in the world of survival of the fittest. The tendency of attacking each other among the tribe that settled in the same area has increased since they share the same hunting ground and foraging resources. Yet she has always educated the women in the settlement to respect each soul that was brought over. 

“I want all of you to treat her as our own.”

Nana knows that the ladies normally would not treat the slaves badly as they only treat them as a helper around the house. Furthermore, only a few selected families can own slaves as it is determined by the strongest warrior who captured the slave.

“Nice to meet all of you. I hope we can get along in the future.”

Aria smiles and straightens her hand out for a handshake. Seeing the ladies look at her with a puzzling look, she immediately grabs one of their hands and gives it a shake.

“From where I came from, this is how we normally greet others.”

She continues to smile and grab all of the other ladies’ hands for a handshake. The ladies happily introduced themselves as they were amazed by the greeting gesture. 

“Why is your hair color so different? It looks white. Are you an old person?”

The shorter girl with the curly hair blasting questions that she has been dying to know ever since they see Aria walking alongside Nana.

“My father was born with this hair color and he originated from a faraway land. We call them Westerners. I just hit twenty-five this year.”

The girls look confused as they could not imagine anyone or how far the place would be.

Aria notices that one of the ladies looks differently from the other. Her eyes are smaller compared to the others and slightly fairer skin. 

After the introduction, Aria finds out that Wen was originated from a different tribe that lives in the mountain area. She was the tribe leader’s daughter that married her savior from Lu'An Boktu. Since her tribe are nomads thus their tribe is more susceptible to attacks such as raiding attempts from a smaller tribe that settle within the cave. After knowing that the settlement has a sturdy longhouse and few strong warriors, thus Wen chooses to live there. 

The amount of laundry that needs to be done has made them pause their conversation and took their place on the flat stones that were arranged along the river. Smacking sound can be heard echoing accompanied by water splashing sound from the opposite side. The men are bathing in the deeper area of the river and start to jump from the steeper hill near the river. 

‘This feels like watching a bodybuilding show with slightly less thick muscle and body oil.’

Upon close inspection, she finally realizes the men are wearing a loincloth showing their buttocks bare while the front part has a rectangle part covering genitalia. Aria diverts her gaze and stops at Naki who is sitting quietly with his feet flapping in the water while staying in guard mode. His brows furrow as his eyes wander around searching for any sign of intrusion. A long stone spear never leaves his hand as it is ready to be thrown at any moment.

“Why does Naki always wear a serious face?”

She was unable to contain her curiosity and look for an answer from Nana. She does have a tendency to bluntly blurt questions whenever she feels comfortable with someone.

“Actually he uses to smile the brightest. Four years ago, we were still living in small huts along the river. Three months afterward, we were attacked by a tribe that settled within a cave.”

Her expression turns dark as she unfolds the story of how she lost two of her older sons from the battle of protecting the small settlement. Yet the attacks have made them change how they lived. 

“My eldest son Ducnie, and my husband occupied with battling in the relentless attack. Meanwhile, Naki and my second son Gonik stay behind and rebuild the settlement.”

Aria’s eyes do not waver as she focuses on every detail coming out from Nana’s mouth.

Her second son has come up with the idea to build a tall longhouse on top of the hill slightly far from the river. 

The area has an abundance of Bornean ironwood which in the beginning was only used as a handle for stone tools. For its durability properties, they have chosen this species to make the pillars and flooring for the longhouse. One of the woodsmen recently discovered a new way of joining wood structure after experimenting with ironwood. 

“Six months later, my husband and Ducnie pass away after severe injuries. The weapon that strikes them was dipped with poison that prevents the open wound from healing.”

6