Chapter 10: Sorrowful Past
75 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I am so sorry for making you remember the sad past.”

Aria could not help but pat Nana’s back as she might not fully understand the pain of losing her husband and children yet she knows how hard it is to deal with the pain of losing someone she loves.

Aria just remembers that detergent is not available at this time. She took her dress and undergarment then let them soak in the water by putting a rock as a weight to keep it from floating away.

“It is alright. They were the foundation of our current settlement. At least now we can feel at ease since our little one can be protected.”

Her hand starts to rub the end of the sarong with the other end together to create friction underneath the running water before continuing her story.

Turns out, Gonik was fueled by his anger and brought his close friends to launch a surprise attack to avenge the death of his father and brother. However, Gonik’s plan fails as one of his friends betrayed and provided the information to the enemy.

Devastated by the news of losing all the men in his family, Naki tries to rack his brain on how to avenge them. Gonik has erected their new house that was built on tall stilt at the top of the flat hill and hidden among the tall trees. Naki realizes his brother’s long-term plan which is to stand their ground and strengthen their settlement instead of an unending attack cycle.

They managed to protect their longhouse by increasing guard around the longhouse and launching an attack from above by using a blowpipe and throwing spears whenever the raiding party came to ambush. They give the enemy the taste of their own medicine by adding poison obtained from a frog to the dart.

Naki ignores all the foul mouth who says that his way is a sign of cowardice. The talks died down as the frequency of raiding attacks lowered down significantly. In turn, he was praised as the hero of the community. However, his heart has grown cold as he realizes how easily people’s opinions can be swayed. He could not forget that Gonik’s life was taken from his family due to betrayal.

Aria’s view on Naki has changed as she knows more about him. The wise one once said, “Don’t judge the book by its cover.”

“He was chosen by the majority to be the head of the longhouse as he was proven the strongest whenever they held a dueling competition. All those years, the raiding party that was led by him ended with success.”

Nana smiles as she is proud of her son’s achievement. She is glad that Naki has both strength and brain compared to Ducnie and Gonik who only have one each. She explains that Naki has never taken any slave in all of his raids however this time she was surprised that he brought back a lady.

“I thought he was thinking about getting married. Knowing the way he thinks, I guess he decided to take a slave to help me around since my health is slowly deteriorating.”

As Nana finishes her sentences, Aria realizes that the lady in front of her has been coughing non-stop whenever she tries to finish her sentences.

“I am glad that he does not have any intention of making me his bride. I will help you around the house.”

She took the laundry from Nana and started washing it diligently. Honestly, she doesn't know how to wash laundry by hand as she has been using a washing machine or sends it to a dry cleaning service all her life. She took a glance at how the ladies wash their laundry and follow each step. She wrings all the excess water and puts the laundry in the woven basket made of rattan.

“What is that thing that you were holding there?”

Nana was curious about what is the little triangle cloth and something that looks like two mountains.

“Oh~ This is what I use underneath my clothing to protect private parts like my chest and below there.”

She waves her hands around to show the parts that she mentioned. The loyal audience could not help but laugh at her enthusiasm. Nana’s gloomy face has already turned brighter since Aria is a natural entertainer without her realization. She always wonders why old ladies love to hang around her and now transcending the realm, she still manages to entertain old ladies.

Hearing a burst of familiar laughter, Naki turns his head towards the direction only to find his mother holding her stomach from laughing intensely. He could not believe his eyes as he has never seen his mother laugh this way ever since his father died a few years ago.

‘I wonder what they are talking about?’

He tries to focus on their conversation but it was masked by his mother’s laugh.

Rattan is a tree-climbing palm species that normally used by the people to weave baskets, furniture etc

5