Chapter 11: Cleansing
86 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Let’s go to the middle of the river.”

Nana grabs Aria’s hand as she finishes wringing all the clothes. They walk on the tiny river stones as the tiny fishes occasionally brush against their feet. As they get deeper, Aria shivers when the cold water hits her warm body that has been bathed under the morning sun. The cooling sensation rejuvenates her aching body. 

‘Finally, I can get out of this icky situation.’

Her body was covered with dry muds that formed flaky patches all over. She took the time to soak her body. Meanwhile, all the ladies that were doing laundry joined them. They start to splash water on each other and make fun of each other as they play around. They rarely have the chance to play around as the elderly will watch over them with eagle eyes. 

“Aria!”

Her vision blurred out as she felt her face was slapped by the water that was splashed by the ladies. She rubs her eyes and starts to scoop the water to be thrown towards the group. It feels great to be accepted by the new people that she just met.

Sensing that the dirt is slowly being lifted by the river stream, she rubs her body with her hands. Each stroke reveals her flawless skin which sparkles when the ray of sunlight bounces off her. The moment the hair tie slid off, her blonde hair was glistening, exuding golden color. The soft curls bounce as it hits her shoulder which gives out a sexy look accompanied by the wet sarong hugging her curve like a body-con dress. 

The men feel that time has stopped as if a goddess has gone down to take a bath just like the stories that they use to hear from the elders.

“Ahem!”
The clearing throat action from Naki attracts everyone’s attention from Aria. She immediately submerges her body under the water once she realizes that everyone was staring at her.

“Use this plant to wash your hair.”

Nana hands her leaf that has the shape that resembles a heart. She took it and stared at the leaf wondering how she was supposed to wash her hair with the leaf.

“Submerge your head in the water and let me wash your hair.”

Her body moves closer to Nana and then her eyes widen as the leaf lathers when it rubs together between palms with a little bit of liquid. Even though it does not have the same amount of lathers compared to modern shampoo yet it is still impressive. 

‘No wonder their hair looks healthy and shiny.’

Aria enjoys the pampering session that her heart is throbbing with sadness. Her mother has never bathed her from the day she was born until her last breath. The only motherly figure she has was her grandmother and the nanny that was hired to take care of her. The house was always like a hotel to her parents and she is just one of the ornaments in the house. 

“Is it stinging your eyes?”

Nana turns Aria’s head and checks thoroughly if the lathers get into her eyes. She rinses her hands and scoops some water to splash it gently into Aria’s face. 

“It was nothing. Dust gets into my eyes just now.”
She smiles while puffing her cheeks and two dimples showing her childish look. 

“Good then. Now go rinse yourself.”

Nana gives one last rub before pushing Aria away. She wonders that this might be how it felt if her daughter was still alive now. Sadly it's just a wish that will never come true since her daughter dies from being born prematurely. Their family has never had any luck with daughters for generations. Nana believes that this might be a curse from the gods for the things that have been done by her ancestors. 

“Use this to scrub the dead skin from your body.”

Seeing that Aria has finished rinsing her body, she gave her a smooth flat stone. 

“Ah yes! I know how to use this one. My grandmother shows me when we were having a trip to the river.”

She grabs the stone and rubs it slowly against her skin. Now she feels more assured that all the dirt is removed from her skin.

“We will need to get ready to prepare for dinner now.”

Aria ran towards the riverbank where Nana was playing by the water as she was waiting for Aria to be done. 

“Change into this dry sarong and rinse the one that you wore just now.”

She admires the orange-colored fabric filled with a fern-like pattern before putting it on hastily. Naki appears by their side and carries the heavy laundry basket. She notices he was carrying three medium fish that were tied up together with thin plant stalks. 

‘I wonder what kind of dish that Nana will make today.’

She holds Nana’s hand and walks side by side. All the ladies were following them from the back which is guarded by the other men who encircled them.

5