Chapter 4: Maxi: Seeing out First time
561 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What am I supposed to do now? Stuck with this demon girl and have no idea where I am or what is there to do. I don’t have anything on me and anywhere to go.

“So… anything you want to do?” The demon asked as both of us are still sitting at the table.

“Just let me go or something, I’m hella uncomfortable” I dismissively replied. I’m really clueless as to what’s going on, if I even really understand what’s going on.

“If you mean like seeing what’s out there I can do that. How about I help guide you through the place?” She offered. That was not what I meant but at least that would be better. When it comes to her going with me… I feel like she would follow me anyway so what choice do I have.

“Fine. Where the hell should I go?” I asked, feeling tired of all of this still, maybe being outside will help out a bit, I should know where I’m going anyway.

“How about we tour the town square? Maybe there’s something you want?” She suggested enthusiastically. She really is trying to cater to me right now… Well I’ll bite I guess.

“Okay then, let’s go out and see what exactly is out there” I said standing up just ready to do something aside from sitting about. Would be nice if I get to swing an axe around, miss that already.

“Okay then! Follow me” She excitedly said as she opened the door to the outside and walked out with me by her side. Just what am I falling into?

“Probably gonna get some questioning looks” I muttered feeling like something is going to go wrong, especially in a world where apparently a demon is just around.

“Ah! Don’t worry about that, people are friendly around here, they wouldn’t care about this. Don’t worry” She said trying to reassure me as we both walk out of the courtyard and out on the road, or rather the neighborhood of wherever this is… Huh?

“What the hell is up with the sky?” I asked, seeing the sky of many odd colors, as well darkness swirling above as well. It’s not particularly distracting but it’s rather alarming after actually getting to see it.

“Oh, it’s just how the sky looks in this world. It’s a bit weird but there’s a way to go around that if you want” She answered. This world, is this really some sort of different world?

“Nah. Sounds troublesome as is, I can deal with just this” I dismissively replied, I know better than to care about the sky when I’m the one I should worry about.

“Alright then, let’s go!” She said as she points to one end of the road that stretches on to what seems to be the town square, looks pretty lively even from here. 

We both continue to walk along the road, seeing a few people with beastial characteristics not all too different with this girl leading me, probably demons as well.

“Demons everywhere” I muttered feeling a bit paranoid. I have no idea what they’ll try to do, so far encounters haven’t been pleasant to put it lightly.

“They aren’t demons! Don’t say that!” She immediately turned around and said that. That caught me off guard with how sudden and defensive she became.

“Then what are they?” I asked, feeling a bit confused. They’re like her in appearance aren’t they? Humans with some extra features that are absolutely not of human origin, why wouldn’t they be demons?

“They’re demi-humans! There’s a pretty big distinction between both okay!?” She said assertively. 

“Then what’s the difference?” I asked just feeling more and more confused, she’s not exactly different from them physically at least, so either they must be demons like her, she isn’t one, or both just look the same and it’ll be extremely confusing. 

“Well demons are naturally more powerful for one, they also usually possess strange powers as well. While some demons look like demi-humans they aren’t the same” She explained. So there really is no way of telling apart outside of their actions? Sounds pretty alarming honestly, just annoying to deal with.

“So what? No way of telling outside of what they can do? Also so that just means you are a demon and others aren’t? What does that even entail?” I asked question after question having a hard time following all these new things I have to learn.

“Well… Yeah I’m one and there’s not many around honestly, but everyone is friendly and accepting not like it’s a problem!” She said the first part a bit awkwardly before conveying her optimism regarding being a demon in a mist of those who aren’t. Sounds like they don’t think demons are a big deal, either that or she’s lying, hard to judge. Just accept that a dangerous race can exist among them, I don’t think anyone back there could even entertain that kind of idea, I sure wouldn’t, especially if no one likes them in the first place.

“Accepting. So this place or whatever is just full of people going about without care in the world?” I asked feeling like it can be a bit dangerous, demons don’t have a good reputation for a reason isn’t that right? And that… thing certainly doesn’t help, so far this one in front of me just not what I was expecting at all.

“Demons aren’t that evil, I’d say some of them are pretty great people even!” She said trying to convince me otherwise. Maybe if I see them actually act like she said I’ll consider it, but for now I’d rather keep a safe distance from people here. Not to mention she’s a demon as well, she could just be lying to get me to trust her.

“Sounds absurd. I don’t know if you know this, but there’s a bunch of wars happening because of demons where I’m from, I’d rather not risk interacting with them, I still have no idea what is up with you” I said conveying my skepticism. 

“Well yeah I’ve heard of that as well, but I’ve also heard humans fight each other as well, what’s the difference?” She asked. What is the difference? The difference is… What’s the difference? I guess the race is different, but that’ll just mean demons and humans are kind of the same, which is definitely not true… Why must she ask a question that is so hard to answer.

“Just… Whatever, let’s just move on already, standing around here is so uneventful” I said trying to steer away from that.

“O-Okay, keep following me then” She replied sounding a bit puzzled. Dodge the problem there.

We both continue to walk despite that bump in our short travel. This place is clearly lively, a place I would’ve imagined the capital city would look like, I’ve never been there before but it probably would look like this.

There are certainly many people about, demi-humans or whatever they’re called. It's weird seeing people with animal or insect parts, surreal to look at. Where are we going in this lively place anyway? There’s a lot of buildings that I can’t really tell what they are, look a bit more sturdy and large than those back home at least.

“So where are we supposed to go? Where should I go?” I asked, seeing as I have no idea where to go. It’s not that I couldn’t guess as much as this is an unfamiliar land.

“Well…” She muttered and seems a bit lost in thought, does she have no idea at all?

“Hey it’s Mani! Haven’t seen you with your friends around for a while” Someone in the crowd called out to her. So she’s pretty well known around here.

“They are busy with their own thing, everything is alright” The demon girl casually replied. Seems she has companions about aside from that woman in grey, more things to worry about.

“If you say so” The one in the crowd replied before walking off. Still doesn’t really answer the question of what am I to do here, at least no one is looking at me, no idea how they’ll react to me as I am now… Ugh the whole undead business is so hard to believe.

“Are you alright?” The demon girl asked, she quickly took notice of my face stressed up.

“I’m fine, so where the hell do we go? You should have some idea” I said dismissing her concern. I’d rather move along and see what this place has in store, if only to take my mind off these topics.

“I mean… What kind of place do you want to go to? There’s plenty of buildings of all kinds around here” She asked back. Where do I want to go? Well I guess I would like some belongings, I sure don’t have anything to myself.

“Some sort of shop? Would be nice if I got a weapon and a bag” I replied dully not feeling like thinking too hard on that right now. Maybe if I figured out of what to do it’ll be a different story, right now I’m still feeling confused and conflicted, mainly the former. I don’t really know what to really say, I sure as hell can’t ask to go home, as if that’s even an option, or if it's even worth it.

“I see… Well luckily there are two shops not too far from each other. I- Wait let me check” She said before checking the pocket in her pants. I just realized that it doesn’t look like she has a lot on her, hopefully there is actually money in there. She soon showed me a rather small empty-looking purse, are there supposed to actually be any money in there or do we have to backtrack?

“Good that I didn’t forget this, let’s go” She said with a sigh of relief. Guess there is at least something to trade for items in there, even if it doesn’t look like there’s a lot.

I just silently followed her seeing more and more strange people, some with antlers, some with animal ears, some with tails, some with the lower-half of an animal, some with wings, all kinds of odd details humans wouldn’t have.

“I guess we should go look for a bag first. You know in case you think of buying anything else” She said as we stopped at the rather brightly lit shop made with rather smooth and white stone, I never saw buildings this fancy before. There is also a large glass pane that allows us to see into the building without stepping in, shouldn’t they be worried about people breaking it? Or is it just durable enough for it to not be a problem.

“Anything caught your fancy already?” She curiously asked, seeing me observing the see-through walls.

“Not yet, let’s just go in and get this over with” I said as I walked to the mostly see-through doors. Opening it and going in, everything looking rather clean and even strangely breezy.

“You were asking for a bag right? It’s just around here… over there” The demon girl said as she pointed to the corner of the store where there are a few bags about, some made of leathers and some of silks. I’ll just take something durable and moderately sized I guess, just like I usually do.

“Anything else?” She asked as I took a leather bag. I didn’t check the price just yet… 7,000!? That’s a big number isn’t it?

“Why does that cost 7,000? Also 7,000 what exactly?” I asked, seeing the price right there on the bag being of a really high number.

“7,000 yen? It’s kind of a lot but manageable” She commented not sounding too bothered by it. Is she also rich?

“What the hell is yen?” I asked, having no idea what that is.

“It’s just the name of the currency” She tactlessly replied. So this place has a different currency? This is going to be bothersome to deal with. Also aren't there clearly cheaper bags about? Why doesn’t she point to those? Isn’t she paying for this?

“So why don’t you point to cheaper bags?” I pointed out. They aren’t leather bags but clearly cheaper, why isn’t she trying to have me take it?

“Um… because you want that one?” She said as if it’s obvious… So she’ll just pay for it no matter how expensive it is, how selfless of her… Guess I’ll take that.

“Alright then, let’s just pay for it and get outta here” I said as I walked around looking for the cashier. She walked with me then pointing at where the cashier seemed to be, having me follow her to the cashier and handling it for me.

“Hey there Mani, who is this companion of yours?” The lady at the desk asked, clearly talking about me.

“Oh she’s new here, don’t mind her” She said with a smile, averting the attention from me.

“I see. Hope you’re doing well” The cashier said as the demon girl handed her papers? What is that?

“I am” She said with a smile and walked over to me keeping my distance.

“Alright, let’s go to the blacksmith” She said to me as she walked out with me following her. She walked to the other side of the road and passed a few buildings. We stop at a rather aesthetically dark building with the logo of a hammer and sword above the entrance. Seems to be made out of dark wood and steel, looking a bit menacing.

Both of us went in and the place looked dark compared to that other shop, kinda mundane looking comparatively speaking. I could hear the sound of steels hitting each other somewhere behind a door on the other side of the desk. This place has plenty of weapons about. Swords, lances, daggers, bow, and so much more, and of course axes. Let’s take a look at the axes, maybe I’ll see something worth using. 

Hmm… some is a regular axe, some is a two sided axe. I’m pretty sure I never saw the latter kind before, just sticking with something that is actually there. I guess I could go for the same as always, just reaching out for the one that looks the most... 

“Is something troubling you?” The demon girl asked as she noticed my arm stop moving. I stared at my arm that was meant to grab the axe and now reminded of something about myself, how I am right now.

“It’s just… I feel so different from before, am different from before, I don’t know what to do about it” I replied honestly thinking about all this time. My body looks pale and blue, my arms slim and cold, my hair dull in color. I’m way too different and I don’t know how to cope with that.

“Really? I guess that makes sense, but we can talk about it later, let’s just continue looking through the weapons” She said trying to reassure me. I guess I’ll try to ignore this… It’s hard to ignore when it’s literally my body. So different, and what to do about it? I probably can’t even swing the axe the same way anymore… Looking around the selection of axes again, seeing the two sided version that I never tried before… It looks quite cool honestly, but I don’t know how different using it might be… Screw it it’s not like that mattered now, I’m too different, my experience back then might no longer mattered.

“Oh, going for a labrys instead?” She asked. seeing me picking one of the two sided axes.

“Is that what it’s called?” I said feeling a bit confused, I don’t think I’ve ever heard that term being said before.

“Yeah, it was introduced when the big change happened” She answered. Well I don’t know what this ‘big change’ is but I’m not interested.

“Well whatever, guess I’ll go with this” I said as I took it and walked over to the desk along with the demon girl.

“Hmm? Oh Mani! I wasn’t expecting you to be here since you’re a mage and all” The man at the desk commented. He has tiny tusk-like fangs from his mouth and boar ears. She really is popular with people around here.

“Yeah not my favorite place in the world, still she wants something to swing with, so I bring her here” The demon girl explained as I put the axe, or rather labrys on the desk.

“Hmm… If it’s just this then it’s 4,000 yen” He said as he inspects the weapon for a moment. That sounds like a lot as well, if less than the bag I have with me.

“Here” The demon girl said as she gave him some paper just like with the rabbit-eared woman in the other store.

“Thank you. If your friend finds the weapon great, how about try commissioning something soon? Bring me some materials and cash” He offered. I didn’t even try this out and he said that already.

“Isn’t your old man the one doing the work?” The demon girl said, sounding a bit puzzled.

“Well I’m still the one handling the business side” He replied. Sounds like he’s trying to excuse his wordings earlier.

“Yeah yeah, anywhere where do we go next?” The demon girl replied and then said so to me after grabbing the axe and handed it over to me.

“I… I don’t know” I said, having no idea where I should go. I’m pretty certain I make it clear I have no idea about this place in the slightest.

“Well… How about we just go tour around other areas of this place? Just looking around?” She offered. Well… I mean there’s really nothing else I think of doing, so I guess I’ll do that.

“Yeah sure. Just take me wherever” I said dismissively while carrying the axe she just purchased for me.

“Okay then. Let’s go! See you later!” She responded while saying goodbye to the shopkeeper. She walked out with me following behind, going wherever she offered to go with. Just me with my new axe following a demon around like some sort of lapdog… Just what am I doing? I should really cut loose, but then again as if there’s anything to be gained from that, I sure as hell don’t know where to go without her around, can’t just leave. I’ll just continue following her around indefinitely before I find a purpose for myself here, who knows if I’ll get one in this odd place.

17