Chapter 11: Maxi: Worlds Tavern
160 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After eating a traumatizing amount of food she left without sounding even a least bit nauseous. I feel like I’m going to be sick seeing that… Can I even get sick? Like the illness or whatever not the feeling bad kinda sick. I probably can’t, right?

“Are you done being traumatized yet?” The fox girl asked, seeing my expression.

“Mostly.” I sheepishly answered. At least that demon woman didn’t actually do something sickening unlike her!

“Hmhmhm~” Someone hummed quietly as she sat at the counter like us. Another peculiar looking fellow, long blue hair, slightly pointed ears, and red eyes. She seems to be wearing a red and black jacket over a bottoned-white shirt along with a long black skirt. “Excuse me Mint-san, one naporitan please, as well as green tea.”

Something about her feels off too, but nothing really screams danger like those two, so she’s probably fine.

“Hello Miss Ayuna, it’s rare seeing you here..” The fox girl greeted her with a sign of respect.

“Oh! Hi there Mani.” She replied back with a greeting of her own. Seems pretty ordinary all things considered. “Seems like you have a new friend with you… Eh? I can’t sense any blood in her?”

Nevermind forget I even think a thing! What the hell did she mean by that!?

“Whoa, you can tell immediately?” The fox girl seemed more impressed than anything.

“Well it’s just something someone like me can just tell, weird blood expert trait I guess…” She said trying to brush off the positive reaction. Seems like a pretty humble girl. “Anyway I won’t pry if you don’t wanna talk about it, it’s fine.”

Well here’s someone with some tact. I thought she would’ve said I’m an undead in an earshot of even more people, not that they’ve really commented on these conversations, maybe they’re busy with their own… I can only hope that’s true.

“Well she’s new here and I’m having her relax here for the day, a downtime before the tour.” The fox girl explained my situation a bit, nothing revealing thankfully.

“I see. Well good luck to you two on that.” She said, sounding genuinely encouraging. Nice change of pace from those two, even though they didn’t do anything malicious they kept everyone on edge.

“So why are you here this time? You usually just stick to your world right?” The fox girl asked, who seemed curious about her presence.

“Well Maova and Reiza were planning on doing something and they said they’d let me in on it. I think it’s supposed to be a surprise.” She answered. More names I have zero clues on.

“I see I see.” The fox girl muttered, sounding intrigued.

“It’s just nice getting to hang out with them.” The blue-haired said, sounding nostalgic.

I felt left out already, not that I mind since I have no idea what they’re even talking about, sounds like there's a mountain of contexts beneath their talk.

“Anyway it won’t be for a while and I came here early to be punctual, so I stopped by.” She finished her story.

“I see…” The fox girl said that one more time, before snapping back at attention like she just remembered something. “Ehrm… You have any manga you're willing to share?”

“When did I become an interdimensional smuggler… Ahem! Sorry but I don’t have any to share right now.” She said, sounding a bit apologetic.

“Aww… Well it’s fine Miss Ayuna, this is an unplanned meeting after all.” The fox girl said in understanding. What the hell is manga anyway?

“Right… Anyway I won’t stay here for long so if you have anything to ask then ask right away.” The girl in the red and black jacket said.

“Hmm… Nothing comes to mind, sorry.” The fox girl answered after thinking for a while.

“Is that so?” She replied casually. From the looks of it neither can think of anything to continue the talk. Now it’s just silence between them.

“Erm… What else should we talk about?” The fox girl asked awkwardly, clearly seeing how the conversation just ended very abruptly.

“Can’t really say I’m-”

“Are they seriously broadcasting this season again!?” An incredulous voice said a bit loudly, walking over to the counter with one other person by her side. The two sitting to my right with the fox and the other one to my left.

“Still embarrassed about it?” The one by her side asked.

“Sentiment starting to fade but- Oh!” She was about to ramble further before seeing the three of us staring at them. “Sorry, please ignore my rambling… Oh I recognize some of you.”

“Hi Miss Xariel, Miss Lamiaceae.” The fox girl addressed both of them politely.

“What’s with you and your friends using honorifics so much…” The one addressed as Xariel, the one who caused a bit of commotion just now, exasperatedly commented.

These two do have a somewhat striking appearance. The one called Xariel has long white pink hair, pink eyes, wearing a pink and white coat, as well as black sleeveless shirt and shorts. Meanwhile Lamiacae… No Lamiaacase… No, that's not right either. Why is her name so long!? Anyway Lami-whatever has long black hair with some noticeable purple strands in them, with glasses, purple eyes, buttoned white shirt, and a long purple skirt. These two don't exactly look inhuman in any way either, but neither is that terrifying demon in red, so what the fuck do I know.

“Just call us Xari and Lami and leave it at that, we’re in a bar not some-”

“Tavern.” Her companion corrected her suddenly.

“Smartass…” She only replied with a condescending remark. “Anyway please drop that.”

“Alright…” The fox girl replied in a way that doesn’t give anyone in the scene much confidence, even I feel that way and I’m not saying shit.

“Okay you two, want anything?” The bartender came over to steer everyone away from the many conversations that turned awkward real quickly. Even though I can barely look at her without feeling nervous at least she’s real useful.

“Hmm… I’ll go with zaru soba and a plate of takoyaki. Cold green tea.” The one called Xari said.

“Just spaghetti carbonara will do. Cola soda.” The glass-wearing one said.

Hearing the order the bartender wrote and down and put it in that hole in the wall like usual. Now these two looked straight past me and stared at the light blue-haired girl.

“Surprised seeing you here, it's not often you come here.” White-haired one said, it’s something the fox girl has said already.

“My friends called me for something she never clarified. So I’m here.” She replied.

“Friends… Knowing them, it seems like we need to keep an eye out.” The white-haired one sounded alerted.

“It could just be an invitation for the colosseum event tomorrow for all we know. The best seat to watch the spectacle unfold.” The quiet one with glasses said, theorizing already.

“Really? I’ve been there before so it’s not gonna be surprising if that’s all they have to show.” The red black jacket girl said to refute that particular theory.

“Well either way I don’t think it’s gonna hurt to be a tad paranoid for a few days is it?” The white-haired said a bit jokingly.

“I believe that’s called being unhealthy.” Glasses woman remarked rather dryly.

“I know that!” She snapped back exasperatedly. “By the way, you have been showing a good deal of paranoia and curiosity since we started chatting, anything you wanna ask?”
Who is she talking to?

“Now it’s pure confusion? You really are a clueless one.” She said while I was feeling a bit confused… Wait, has she been staring at me? I could’ve sworn I didn’t make any eye contact.

“You mean me?” I asked just to be sure.

“Of course I meant you. So anything you wanna ask? You’re the one person that seems to be new here.” She said figuring me out, I wouldn’t be surprised if- “An undead too, which is even weirder.”

“Why does everyone just…” I can’t help but mutter when they look through it like nothing. I know I looked a bit weird with my odd undead skin color but it doesn’t look like anyone else caught on to that, aside those we talked to so far. “Yeah I’m new.”

“...Distrustful and antisocial much? Feels like a rocking boat near the coastline unwilling to reach safe land.” She said as if mocking me, dramatizing things for some reason. “Start emanating anger are you. I suggest you stop that.”

“Maybe she’ll stop if you stop reading her emotions.” The glasses one suddenly said which sounded really alarming.

“Huh?” I’m confused as to what she meant by that.

“Don’t mind her. Anyway, are you gonna say anything or…” The white-haried one just stared at me like she’s interrogating me. What the hell am I supposed to say to these-

“She’s very new here so she doesn’t know what to say, sorry.” The fox girl came to my defense.

“That is pretty clear cut but her attitude is just flat out rude, this is a safe place so she should relax, yet she hasn’t at all.” The white-haired one retorted.

“If I may…” The quiet glasses girl chimed in.

*Slap*

“Hey!” The white-haired woman protested the slap on the cheek.

“Please stop questioning her for now.” The glasses one said while staring right at her.

“...Fine, whatever you say, love.” The white-haired one suddenly dropped the topic. I’m glad I don’t have to say any more than that.

“Shouldn’t you be empathizing with her more than anything?” The fox girl accused.

“She’s not wrong saying that. We both should know better.” The glasses one agreed.

“Come on, I was in a bad mood okay!?” And that’s all she could reply with.

Meanwhile while all of this is happening that red black jacket girl got her meal and started ignoring us. It's spaghetti of some kind.

“Did that show irritate you that much?” The bartender came over to talk a little bit.

“Just the first one really.” She replied with a sigh, clearly having some bad memory about it.

“I see, I thought you would remember it pretty fondly.” The bartender thought the opposite.

“Well I can’t really call the experience bad, but I won’t lie I feel embarrassed about it in some part.” She said, conceding.

“Being on the big screen does sound pretty intimidating.” The bartender commented.

“I mean you’re pretty well-liked in the show so it can’t be all bad being broadcasted.” The fox girl chimes in.

“I think you meant being liked BY the show. They certainly gave a lot of things in my favor.” She clarified about… something I have no idea about.

“Huh? Could’ve sworn you were by far the most popular.” The fox girl said, sounding puzzled. I’m the one who should be puzzled here!

“Nevermind that. You’re just making your friend here all the more confused. Let’s talk about something else instead.” The white-haired one said, clearly able to tell what I’m feeling even though I didn’t say a single word.

“I’m certain you’re using that as an excuse to not talk about it.” The one with glasses said.

“Please don’t tease me as our first impression…” Her partner exasperatedly said. It does seem kinda weird with their dynamic, and honestly I’m a bit paranoid about them as well. I doubt either of them are normal people, and it doesn’t feel like anyone here is normal. “Yeah she definitely is seeing us as weirdos."

“That’s mostly your fault.” The glasses one pointed out.

“I-!... Haaah… Whatever, just one random undead anyhow, and I doubt she really wants to be acquainted anyway…” The white-haried one said with a sigh.

“Hm?” Meanwhile the fox girl looks at that weird flat box… cube… whatever again, tapping it to do what exactly I have no idea.

“Something comes up?” The red black jacket one said seeing what the fox girl was doing as well.

“My friends are gonna be here soon, about an hour from now.” The fox girl answered. Her friends huh… They better not be like that ‘teacher’ of hers…

“How lovely.” The light blue-haired one said in response. Well I don’t have any high hopes to be honest, but I probably shouldn’t say that out loud.

8