Chapter 12: Maxi: Long Time Tavern
125 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a short while that girl with light blue hair left. Always got some sort of weird feeling with all of these people who approach this girl. Maybe it’s because she’s popular around here? Or at least very sociable. Whatever is the case this doesn’t feel like it’s easing me at all.

Suddenly she got down from her seat. No idea what she could be doing. She is stretching.

“What are you planning now?” I asked.

“Nothing. I just need to stretch a bit. We’ve been sitting for so long I need to move around a little.” She explained. I sure as hell don’t feel any different.

“Even demon physiology doesn’t help with that it seems.” The bull woman chimed in. “You two don’t have to stay here for literally the entire day you know.”

“My friends are gonna come here at some point. Had to at least wait for them!” The fox girl said, insisting on staying here.

“Okay okay. Jeez, be a bit less dramatic would you?” The bull woman said, sounding a bit exasperated.

There is a lot of space so she just keeps moving around, stretching and jumping. Others here don't seem to particularly care that this happens.

“...Alright. Think that’s enough.” She said after a while, stopping and sitting back down again, or up, since it is a pretty tall bar chair.

“When are the three gonna come here anyway?” The bull woman asked as we sat around doing nothing.

“Should be at usual time.” That was all the fox girl said. Not really giving me any ideas. “Say. What do you think of this place so far?”
“It’s big… with a lot of people…” What exactly does she want me to say here?

“Uh huh?” She wants me to say more? I’m not really sure what the point of us being here even is. It’s like she’s introducing me to my new neighbors or something.

“Lots of weird people.” I bluntly said. I don’t even have anything else to say.

“Sounds about right.” …She doesn’t take offense to that?

“Yep. Weird people all around. There’s also a bunch of strong people too. Like a good deal that entered this building in the past can blow up a planet to kingdom come.” The bull woman chimed in. What’s a planet? Or kingdom come?

“Good thing this realm is not exactly a planet I guess.” The fox girl said. Once more I have no idea what they’re talking about. “Though I don’t think that’ll stop them.”

“I doubt it.” The bull woman said cheekily.

“What the hell are you two talking about now?” I said, getting more irritated as I have no context to what they’re saying whatsoever.

“Just talking about how strong some people here are. I think that’s pretty clear.” The bull woman answered sarcastically. It certainly doesn’t feel that way.

“Is that really worth talking about?” I asked.

“Probably not. We’re just talking to pass the time.” The fox girl answered, scratching her cheek.

“Speaking of that. Does she know who she’s not supposed to cross?” The bull woman asked.

“Does she really need to know that?” The fox girl replied, looking unamused.

“Learning about the pecking order never hurt anyone.” She casually answered. There’s an odd… cynical sorta feeling from what she’s saying.

“What in the world is she talking about now?” I said feeling like this is getting a bit out of hand.

“Nothing important. Just to be reminded that there is a massive power disparity.” The fox girl answered. “I’m sure you know people aren’t exactly made equal. It rings true here, even more so.”

“...I don’t wanna be reminded of that.” I said, taking a sigh. Always posturing and looking cool, I don’t want to look unimpressive and insignificant.

“Yeesh. Some sort of trauma? Guess I’ll shut up, sorry.” The bull woman said before walking away.

“Do you need to talk about it?” The fox girl said, changing her tone to something way less casual.

“No.” I said firmly. Especially not here.

“Okay, okay…” The fox girl repeated. I can tell she is concerned, though I don’t think that’s warranted.

“Anyway!” The bull woman then chimes in loudly. “Basically. Some guys here are really, really strong. Just don’t piss them off. That’s it.”

“I’ll warn you if we come across them… Though I guess we already have.” The fox girl said awkwardly. Let’s just ignore that.

Doesn’t look like this conversation is gonna continue, and I have nothing to do but wait. Just so she could introduce me to her friends, which hopefully isn’t going to end up with any punches or spells thrown at me.

“Ah. I just remembered something. Mint.” The fox girl spoke up after a little while, calling out the bull woman. She walked over after having her name called. “I want to ask you something.”

“What is it?” She replied.

“Is the tavern’s fighting area finished renovating yet?” She asked. A fighting area?

“Nope. Probably a few more days.” She answered.

“Okay.” She received a simple reply in return. The fox girl then turned to look at me for a moment. What was that about?

Feels like if I asked I’m going to be hounded, so I’ll keep my mouth shut for now.

“Oh. Right! I don’t think I ever told you about this nation in full.” The fox girl said after a moment of silence, addressing me.

“And?” I said.

“Well it wouldn’t be right to not tell you.” She explained. “I’ll save that for when we’re back home.”

“Hmph.” Whatever. Probably going to be a boring lecture.

“My! What a spoilsport this one must be!” Suddenly a rather high energy yet deep voice rings out like some sort of eccentric loon. We turned to look at this voice and-

“What the hell?” I muttered out upon seeing the person calling out to me.

A man in a black suit and tie as well as a top hat and gloves. Looks like a smartass trying to be sophisticated. The oddest part is the permanent grin on his face that can barely be seen with his unnatural skin, like some sort of silhouette, with dark blue skin that barely peek out for me to see his expression.

“Mister Majx, nice meeting you here.” The fox girl greeted him with the same casual tone as always despite his unnerving appearance.

“And same to you as well, young lady.” He said with that frozen grin of his. In an instant it immediately clicked that this thing is a demon. “You seem to be in the presence of someone with a rather sore mood. A rarity to be certain.”

What the hell is up with guy? Creeps me the fuck out.

“Well then Mister Creepy. Here to order something or are you planning a game or something?” The bull woman asked, not looking alarmed in the slightest. Weird how they are treating someone who looks and acts so oddly without much care.

“Nothing of the sort! We have tomorrow's tournament anyhow. If I planned anything now it’ll just mess with everyone’s schedule! And that’s no fun.” He said, keeping his joyful tone. “But enough about me. Who is this young lady?”

“She’s someone new. Doesn’t want to talk much at the moment.” The bull lady explained.

“I see… I see… Well to sour a newcomer’s mood is something I’ll never do! I shall leave you two alone for now then.” He said. Definitely talk like a smartass. “As you have heard. My name is Majx. A connoisseur of fun! If you want something fun. I could arrange a few things to your interest.”

What the hell is that supposed to mean!? And there he goes without explaining even a little bit more.

“The hell is wrong with that guy?” That’s all I managed to mutter by the time he left the tavern.

“He’s a demon who likes playing games and such. Really weird man, but mostly harmless.” The fox girl said. Is he really?

“I’d say don’t try to approach him unless you know to tolerate his constant monologuing.” The bull woman advised.

“Figures.” I muttered. Pretty easy to tell he’s not gonna be pleasant to be around. “Why does that guy look so weird?”

“People came in all kinds of forms here. You don’t look all too good yourself.” The bull woman said with an oddly aggressive tone.

“Now now. Let’s not start anything.” The fox girl said in a much less grating tone.

I don’t think I said anything to warrant that kind of tone. Just what kind of world is this?

“Let’s focus on something else…” The fox girl said, trying to shift the conversation. “Say. Maxi, what’s your routine like?”

“Routine?” I repeated. Confused as to why she wants to know.

“Yeah. I think you don’t like to stay around in one place forever, most don’t. So what do you usually do in a day? I can think of places for you.” She explained.

“Just walking around… Doing requests…” I said, not putting much thought into it.

“...Oh. Right. Your memory is probably still a bit fuzzy.” She mentioned. I guess that’s true, but I don’t think I do much else besides that.

“Yeah. Sure.” The dismissive comment is all I really have to say.

“Speaking of what to do…” She then pivoted to another topic. “Tomorrow, we’ll go see a tournament.”

“Tournament?” I repeated, wondering why.

“Yeah. I think it’ll open up your eyes to what kind of people there are.” She began explaining. “I mean. Doing that already, but can’t exactly cover that in a single day can I?”

“Guess not.” I said. Not much to say on my end.

“Anyway…” She then looked at the wall clock which is placed high up in front of us, behind the counter. Seems like the time system is the same here at least. “They should be here in about… An hour. Yeah.”

“Should I have the kitchen whipped something up for them?” The bull woman asked.

“Nah. There’s no need.” She answered, then turned to look at the hanging black box. “Oh. This is a fun one.”

Now what does it show this time? Doesn’t look all too interesting to be honest. Just a few people talking to each other with some dramatic music in the background. Is it like some sort of stage play? Heard about it but never saw ‘em.

“Not interested?” She asked, probably seeing me frown due to not finding it interesting.

“Yeah. It’s been boring.” I answered honestly. Just sitting here not really doing anything for… “How long have we even been sitting around for?”

“Nine hours.” Huh?

“Nine hours!?” I repeated, finding that kinda unbelievable.

“Time really does fly by doesn’t it.” The fox girl seems completely unfazed by this. Then again it seems like she has done this a few times before.

“Yeah. Time’s weird.” The bull woman said in agreement. I know time flies by when you’re occupied, but does this really count? “Especially in this realm.”

“To be fair, time is weird in any universe or realm. At least that’s what I’m told.” The fox girl noted. Something else I have zero clues on. “‘It only weaves its way in the most convenient manner’ or something along those lines.”

“What? Like plot convenience?” The bull woman said in amusement.

“Unironically. Yeah.” The fox girl answered with a straight face. Feels like they’re talking about something that sounds important, but I have no clue on that, sounds rather abstract.

I’m just gonna stop listening to the conversation and think about something else to pass the time…

Hmm…

Something that I really started to notice is how neat and clean everything is. Back there, back then, it felt like a lot of places, no matter how neat it tried to look, are always a bit dusty and dirty. Not to mention how fancy this place is.

Wherever here is, this nation or kingdom or whatever, seems way better off than back home… Huh… Kinda annoying to think about. It looks like I only know a small fraction of this place, and how small the place back home really is. Just this tavern alone feels like something belonging to high class nobles more than common folk.

Just makes you really wonder. What is this place?

“Hey! Mani!” Suddenly a loud boisterous voice rings out and addresses the fox girl sitting next to me.

I can see three girls who seem to be around the same age as her, having some animal traits like ears and horns.

“Hey! Tana! Ragy! Elisa!” The fox girl called out to them cheerfully. So these three are the ones she was really anticipating.

5