Chapter 16: Mani: Early Dramatics
269 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Haaah…” I sighed to myself as the calm dim light of the bar keeps everything just slightly out of focus, leaving me to have some thoughts to myself.

“A hard nut to crack, isn’t she?” The voice beside me pointed out.

“You could say that again…” I replied. Maybe she’ll get a lot better at some point, but right now, it’s at a snail’s pace.

*Gulp*

“I know I said this a lot of times already, but I never quite expect you to come here to drink so often.” She said after I drank a glass of wine.

“It’s not like I get affected by it that much anyway.” I pointed out. I can drink a lot more and still be functional.

“That’s not really my point…” She muttered. “Anyhow, playing slow is probably the best way to go considering all you have said.”

“I know that already.” I said with a sigh. “Say, you know about the changing of time, how do you keep up with it? Maybe that’ll give me some ideas.”

“I don’t think these two scenarios are really applicable…” She noted. “I’m afraid I can’t be of much help to you, only just learning about this from your rambling.”

“Sorry.” I said before taking a long sigh.

“Don’t worry about it too much.” She said before taking a sip. “Sometimes you just need someone to talk to, I get that, and I just happened to be here.”

“Thanks…” I said before-

*Gulp*

-taking another drink.

“Are you even gonna be waking up tomorrow? Aren’t you gonna go see your friend’s match?” She asked in an exasperated tone.

“*Gulp*... I’ll be fine… The alarm in my room is set to wake me up with the loudest sound it can muster anyway, and if that doesn’t work the AI in my room will try something funny.” I muttered after taking another large sip.

“Isn’t that nice having all these advanced tech that most don’t even understand…” She muttered, more as a jab than about jealousy. “It is the biggest whiplash I got when everything changed around here. Though those gadgets are pretty nice, even if I’m not quite the early adopter, unlike you.”

“Look. Even I don’t know why we’re the ones getting all these things, but it’d be rude to not graciously take it.” I pointed out. Seems to be due to a very circumstantial factor of us being acquainted before the whole thing, which is still weird to think about. “Anyway… Back on topic…”

“Didn’t we just talk about how there’s really nothing to say?” …Do you really have to point that out? Guess she truly has nothing more to offer… Whatever, our meeting was coincidental anyhow.

“Got me there… I’ll stay here and drink for a bit though. What about you?” I asked just to keep this awkward moment from getting any worse.

“I’ll be heading back soon. I would like to get some shut eyes.” She said. “I don’t want to miss tomorrow either.”

“I see.” I took another sip afterward. I wonder if I should get some sleep soon after all, or should I perhaps seek some more consultation. You may never know who else you’ll find in the middle of the night. “Guess I’ll be seeing you later.”

“Right…” She said before looking at the bottle beside her. “I’ll do one last swing and be out of your hair. See you later”

She then downed the last of her bottle of alcohol, then walked out of the bar. Guess it’s just me at this point… No, that’s not quite right.

“Do you want any more drinks?” The bartender asked.

“...I’ll take two more bottles of the usual, that’s all.” I answered before giving him the payment. After this I’ll go take a stroll to clear my head a bit.

“Acknowledged.” He said in the same dull tone as always…

“...You don’t happen to know how to deal with a greater undead, do you? Or lost soul, stuff like that?” I asked, just to be certain.

“...I am merely a construct made in an image of a human skeleton, it is above my paygrade.” Barbones said. Figures. I was hoping there is some info stuck into that skull of his that might be important one day.

Whatever… I’ll just drink a bit more and be out of his non-existent hair. Just a few more…

 

“Ughh…” I involuntarily groaned after everything…

“Customer, you seem to be heavily intoxicated. Your demonic biology is failing you.” Barbones chimed in.

“No shit Sherlock…” I said, basically growling at him. I guess I ended up ordering a few more than intended… but this is the furthest I’m willing to go, this time around… “I’m leaving…”

I stand back up a bit wobbly. Trying to retain my balance as I walked out of the bar.

I’m just gonna… Take a leisurely walk on my way back. Speaking of which, what time is this?

…10 p.m. is it? Honestly, I was a bit concerned that I might’ve wasted more time- “Uogh!”

…My head is killing me. I should’ve ordered a few glasses of water too…

“You seem to be in a bit of a predicament.” A deep feminine voice echoes through the silent alleyway. I turned to look at where it came from, and saw a tall lady-like figure walking up to me.

“Hello… Mist- Ugh!... Alsie...” Got another sharp pain in my head as I was about to reply, just my luck!

“Compose yourself, Mani.” He said, shaking the long spiky blonde hair he has. Still wearing that form-fitting bottomed shirt of his… really accentuate the fi-

“*Hic*... Sorry…” Great… I’m getting some hiccups now…

“Haah… I’ll help you get back home.” He said before lending his shoulder… He really is a good guy…

“I’m sorry for being like this…” I quietly said.

“Don’t worry about it.” He said as we reached the main road. “What seems to be the matter? It’s rare for you to drink yourself half to death like this.”

“Something came up… Like a day and a half ago…” I began explaining. “Got this person who was brought here in the middle of training with my teacher, no clue what to do, she’s really cold…”

“Someone new? I see. It must be hard looking after them.” He offered his sympathy.

“I don’t even really know what to do!” I screamed out. “How am I supposed to help someone whose life has been entirely changed with no warning? Her circumstances are also different than most… too…”

“It always takes a while. If it really has only just started, then the only thing you can do is wait.” He gave the same advice as everyone else.

“But I don’t wanna!” I complained. Can’t I at least try to do this one thing well? “It’s my responsibility to make her as comfortable as possible! I don’t want to see her like that!”

“...It’s a bit foolish to think everything will go smoothly isn’t it?” He asked.

“...I guess… But it’s feeling like I’m hitting a roadblock.” I muttered.

“I still don’t know the entire story to give much insight on…” He noted. “Regardless, what you should do right now is go back home and be ready for tomorrow. You don’t want to miss out on your friend’s fights do you?”

“Of course not…” I said in a weak tone. I’ll wake up fine anyway… As long as I get back… “Thanks for helping…”

“Don’t worry about it.” He said soothingly… It’s always nice to have someone to be around…

“Ahhh… Even someone as half-decent as you would’ve been great to have around…” I said, letting my thoughts out.

“Where does that come from?” He asked, sounding rather bemused.

“Mhmm… Attractive… Kind… Very calming and helpful…” I muttered out those words. “Miss Josia is very lucky to have you…”

“I really don’t think you should be saying that.” He said, completely disagreeing. “It’s me who’s lucky to have someone like her around.”

“Yeah yeah… Keep praising her forever and ever…” I said, starting to feel a bit irritated.

“Umm…” He seems a bit confused as to what I’m trying to say…

“It’s lonely not having a partner…” I said out loud.

“Oh… Well… I’m sure that-”

“Shut it! Why does everyone else get laid before me? Why am I still single!” I shouted in frustration. “It always bothers me that people get all lovey dovey while I’m around… I tried to hide it the best I could… but…”

“...That is not something I can claim to be an expert in, I’m afraid.” He calmly replied. It’s been a few times since his chest got up close to my face… Josia is one lucky woman… “But I’m certain you’ll find someone eventually.”

“Isn’t that encouraging…” I sarcastically said. Everyone keeps saying that, but it still hasn’t happened yet… Makes me feel like I’m not good enough, everyone else seems to be able to find their special someone…

“...I think it really is for the best that you pause that thought.” He said, trying to soothe my frustration. “Haste makes waste. It is an old saying.”

“Is it really?” I asked with skepticism and sarcasm…

“...I don’t even know how much you’ll remember from this…” He muttered something…

“*Hic* Just failing in every regard so far… Can’t help a girl who is lost in this new world… Can only be a dead weight compared to my close friends… And no girlfriend to speak of…” I laid my problems loud and clear.

“You’re being overdramatic.” He flatly said.

“So what if I am! Every good narration needs those!” I said loudly. It’s all about the heavy words to really tug at your heartstrings… “I try to be all friendly and open as much as I can… I try to be optimistic even though she’s so paranoid and unfriendly… I know it’s only been a day and half but- *Hic* -I really want to help…”

“Haaah… As nice as that sentiment is, you really should tell this to someone else…” He muttered. “Also, don’t drink this much again.”

“I’ll tryyyy…” I’m dragging my worrrrd…

“By the way. We’re here.” He said, to which I raised my head up and- Oh… It’s my house…

“Thank you… bringing me all this way-!” I said before letting go and tried to stand straight. “Sorry for… being a bother…”

“Like I said, it’s nothing.” He said, holding his hand up. Very humble person… “Guess I’ll go back home too. See you later.”

“Later…” I said before entering my house… “Water…”

“Mani!? What were you-” Mom is here to greet me… this late at night. “...Oh… Well… I’ll go get you some water, okay?”
“Thank you, Mom…” I said, feeling very tired.

“How much did you drink?” She asked, trying to not raise her voice.

“Uhm… I lost count after the… thirtieth bottle?” I said, not quite remembering the exact amount.

“That’s… Haah… Please try to not make it a habit.” She quietly said.

“Will dooo… *Hic*” I’m still getting some hiccups…

“Here you go…” She said, giving me a glass of water.

*Gulp*

Just what I need… “I think… I think I’ll go visit Maxi… Is she still in her room?”

“Yes, she hasn’t left once.” It’s very concerning… TOO concerning she still hasn’t…

“I’ll go say hi one more time… Before going to sleep…” I said, trying to remain concen- Concetr- Concentrate… Putting my glass down…

“Get a good sleep, alright?” She said as if pleading.

“I will…” I said before heading upstairs. Now Maxi’s room should be… Here… “Maxi! Heard you were-”

“W-What the hell are you doing, barging in here!?” She suddenly screamed out loudly…

“*Sniff*... I guess you really haven’t opened up at all…” I lamented… It just seems so far… “I know it’s only been like… almost two days but… I really… *Yawn*... Hope you will open up quickly…”

“W-Why are you suddenly like this?” She asked. Can’t she look? Don’t you have eyes!?

“I’m dead drunk is what it is! I’ve been drinking! All because of-! Because-! I need to drown my sorrow!” I loudly proclaimed. I’m still nowhere near sober… But I’m managing! “I was hoping you were actually gonna enjoy yourself! But you are not!”

“How the hell are any of those related!” She tried to reflect it back at me.

“Because I-! I’m trying to… I really wanna…” I don’t think… I have much left in me… Until I collapsed… and completely knocked out… That glass of water really only delayed it… for a bit… “I just… hope you opened up… later…”

*Thud*

She is feeling dramatic rn.

Got a doodle of Alsie. Very quick drawing.

Spoiler

[collapse]

4