Chapter 2.5
1.2k 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Heyo readers, Mr. Author here! This is a short 500~ish word chapter that explains Vin's past and will hopefully illuminate his behavior a bit more. There are no story developments inside, so if you don't want to read it you can skip it, hence the .5. Full chapter should be out tomorrow.

My life up until this point has been abject misery. Being born as a Monster Tamer has caused me so much grief and pain that I almost can’t believe it has any use at all. The sudden revelation that maybe I’m not as useless as I’ve always thought has shaken me to my core. I’m lying in bed next to Ashirra, trying to reconcile my emotions.

I was born in a small town to 2 poor parents who did their best to provide me with a decent life. They were servants to a local lord, who was, and is to this day, famously stingy. My mother died when I was 8, and my father died when I was 12, the day that my class was revealed. He’d been sick for a while, and getting worse quickly. He held on because he wanted to see what class his son would have. He and I went to the traveling priest in the town square, and when he revealed my class the world stood still. The last thing I remember of my father was the look of disappointment on his face when he heard I was a Monster Tamer. 

Before I turned 12, my life could be considered standard. Afterward, it became hell. Monster Tamer, more than being useless, is despised as evil. Consorting with monsters is illegal in Derth, as well as most other countries. People I once considered friends looked at me with disgust, even strangers seemed to avoid me on instinct. If it weren’t for my previous boss I likely would've become an urchin and starved to death. He took pity on me after my parent’s death and offered me a job and a place to stay. Even though he never wants to see me again, I’m still indebted to him.

After it was revealed, my life has been centered around my class. In my youth, I read everything I could and struggled to find some sort of use for the class I had. I was routinely ridiculed and laughed at, but I just wanted to prove that my class could do something. As I spent more and more time researching, I realized that Monster Tamer truly didn’t have any use. I became jaded and hopeless. People’s mockery got more and more severe until finally, they got bored. I’d long since stopped reacting to mockery, and I honestly believed most of what they said. I was completely convinced that I was worthless. Now, however, I’m not so sure. 

I’m in a magic inn that I can access via a magic book, lying right next to my hobgoblin lover, none of which would’ve been possible without my class. To say that this is an unexpected development would be an understatement. It almost feels criminal how quickly things have changed. The class that was once the noose around my neck now feels like the gateway to a better life. Ashirra certainly seems to think so.

“Master, you look troubled, is everything alright?”

“Yeah, everything’s alright,” I say, smiling at her, “for the first time in a while.”

32