Chapter 6. Mel and Fran go shopping with surprises.
236 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Right it’s 9:30. The plan is we need to stop by the AllGames store then we have an appointment at the College and then Lunch and then ..” Mel paused with a secretive  smile  “  it’s an appointment with Lisa for some ‘special’ training …And then It’s Dinner … and .. stuff “

Fran looked at her friend inquisitively trying to work out what was happening “I know you said to keep the day free… So we are picking up something at the game shop and then the college ? And Lisa who ? … ”. Mel grinned “It’s an amazing surprise for you .. I know you're going to love it” She stepped closer to Fran and rested her hands on her hips lightly. “You trust me right?” “Of course I do, so very much, I just wish I was a bit more  …  flexible for you” Fran sighed sadly. “Well” Mel smiled kindly” you agreed to let me show you ..  something special. It’s today and well…. From what you said last night I think you will like it.”

Fran looked mock sternly at her friend “You have got to tell me now what you're planning!” in a faux stern voice. A slight smile was battling to seep through to her expression of seriousness . 

Mell stepped away “Not going to happen … I’m not even going to hint.. You either work it out or just ride today like a wave of …. Exploration ?” “Mel  .. was that you trying to be ‘COOL’ Fran smirked. “Yes it was but I don’t need to be ‘COOL’ when in fact I am Awesome” Mell stuck her tongue out playfully at Fran. Fran collapsed in a giggles and “SO true!” Fan smiled “Let's get this show on the road! .. Time to invade Nerd Central!” 

Fran and Mell caught the bus into town that stopped right outside the Mall. The bus was crowded with a mixture of teenagers and families with small children, just a typical weekend crowd. Mell was looking out the window and commented "They finally finished those annoying roadworks outside the bus and train station then". Fran nodded and smiled whilst looking at Mell's face. "Yep , about 6 months ago, taking the bus was easier to get in and out, soooo much quicker! it's not worth taking the car unless you're going to be taking more than a couple of bags home ". Mell frowned "we should be alright… I think". "How much stuff are we getting ?" Fran asked. "There's two of us… it'll be fine!" Mell cheerfully stated. Fran could tell Mell still had her doubts.

Jumping off the bus Fran had to keep up with Mell as they dodged in and out of the crowds, trying not to bump into people and being extra careful not to knock over the few small children. Fran noted Mell was certainly eager! 

They entered the AllGames shop and Fran groaned in despair at the length of the queues. Mell grabbed Frans hand and half shouted "I know a guy!" Mell winked. And started dragging Fran to the small counter near the back signed "Click and Collect". "You know a Guy!" Fran sarcastically called to Mell as their arms were stretched. "Well … it's probably a Guy … i don't ask that sort of question"  

Frans face said "What!?" just as they arrived at the counter.

Mel asked the girl at the counter if she could speak to the assistant manager "Ron". "Tell him Mel would like a word please" in a quiet voice just loud enough for the girl and Fran to hear. Fran looked at Mel quizzically .."Why are you blushing slightly". "I am not!" stated a slightly flustered Mel not looking Fran in the eye.

Mell was definitely nervous … And up walked what looked like a perfectly good example of an Assistant Manager. 5ft 10" average looking 30 something guy, reasonably short hair and a jovial manner. He handed a cup of coffee to the girl behind the counter and said ”There you go Steph”.

Turning to Mel as Steph explained the request "Hello!" he beamed, then dropping his voice to a more reasonable level "So who wants to speak to me?" a smile just dancing at the edge of his lips.  

"I placed an order the other day online … and  you said something about a special discount last week at our meeting?.." Mel's slightly nervous voice trailed off at the last words. 

"And ‘Whom’ might you be?" Ron asked in a conspiratorial whisper as he bent over the counter to get a little closer. Fran was fascinated, Mell was clearly out of her depth and Fran was enjoying the slightly blushing Mell. 

"I meet all sorts of people in real life... and VRLife ….. oh…. let me guess or are you going to tell me?" mischief was clearly something he liked from his tone of voice.

"mmmmumble Mellmmm the mmmmm" Mell said quietly refusing to look at anyone.

"Oh ", with a big grin from Ron. "So you're the legendary Monster Melvin the Magnificent… in the flesh.. eh ?" in a voice just loud enough for Fran and Steph to hear. Fran laughed, this had been Mel's avatar for various games over the years and she stopped laughing quickly only because everyone turned to look with concern at Steph behind the counter.. She was desperately trying to stop choking having just inhaled a mouthful of coffee. 

Ron quickly went to her and then had to stop other counter staff from crowding her.. she stopped the coughing, choking noises, calmed and finally took a few reasonable breaths … "oh .. i so don't want to do that ever again" she weakly stammered. 

"Do you want to sit in the staff room for 15 minutes if you're ok?" Ron asked with deep concern.

"It's fine… I just never ever expected to meet ‘Mel’ in the real world" the recovering girl said weakly.

Ron looked at her and then turned to Mel and Fran "Shall I enlighten Mel and her friend? “ he said, still concerned with Steph’s condition.

“hmm. what is it I 'Want to Know'?” Fran said firmly getting the feeling she was on the outside looking in to  ….something.

"Seeing as we are all local, it’s probably best to clear things up." Step said quietly, obviously still recovering.

“Errr… is this related to VRLife?” Mel queried.

"OK, My VRLife username is RonDayDreama, Hello Melvin " said Ron smiling. He looked at Steph and she nodded her consent. "And Stephanie here goes by the name Steven Steeeeel..., yes 5 e's"

Fran was just a little surprised, but hey that's not too surprising online as she well knew.

Mell's mouth fell open with stunned shock and horror. 

"Before anyone says anything I need to talk to Fran about this …. Later …. Not right now and here! ….. It’s … complicated … urm …” then whispered to Fran “ it’s a bit kinky even … not for discussion in public that’s for sure!" she trailed off, her eyes pleading with Fran to accept this for now.

Fran turned and theatrically gave her friend the side eye “You are explaining this …. Sounds like there are some juicy details to it too!”.

Mel smiled at Fran “Look, it’s complicated and I had just got off a …. very serious ….job with the …” she looked up and saw Ron was looking on with amused interest “... ummm a knitting club intervention…”.

“Soooo … you were in VRLife, ..whilst having had a little too much of the ‘fruit punch’ eh?” Fran mocked with another faux serious frown and voice. “You are telling me later! I have sooo got to hear this!”

“Right … awkward silence time!, Back in a moment” Ron said  brightly and headed out to the back of the store.

“Are you ok Steph?” Mell asked. “Yes, fine thank you. ..will we see you tonight?” Steph asked quietly, still recovering. Mel thought for a moment “It depends, I have an introduction setup for Fran. I asked Lisa to fast track it but, well it doesn’t always work with first timers…If it all works we can meet up at the pub”

“What introduction Mel?” Fran said, poking Mell affectionately on the arm with one finger. ”Not telling!” grinned Mel. 

“So the The Knitting Club ehh?” queried Ron emphasising every word.

“I‘m not asking anything else.. Here you go! All there plus the 2 Gig drive, I upgraded it from the 1 Gig you ordered and a Heavy Duty USB case for it on me” as he put 2 large plastic bags on the counter. “Can you wave the card you ordered over the reader on the counter please?” 

Mel obliged and then handed the smaller bag to Fran.

“Take Care and I expect to see you both at the Temple tomorrow then.” smiled Ron.

“If I can get this Noob up to speed!” Mel smiled and started leading Fran away ” Lets go Girl! We have got to see a man about a body!... in fact your body!” she laughed, wiggled her eyebrows in a comedy manor and waded through the crowd in the shop with Fran struggling to follow. 

5