Chapter 10 – New Rules
657 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had finished up my snack and was just turning my attention back to the books when I hear a knock. I glance towards the door, waiting for a few moments before realizing the elf is probably waiting for something. I'm not sure what she's expecting, I can't talk. I've tried, but the lack of vocal chords makes it impossible. Instead, I reach out a tendril to yank open the door, seeing the elf flinch slightly at the sudden movement, and gesture her to enter.

 

I dip a tendril into a small jar of ink resting on Farkas' desk, writing a few words on a blank page of a book and holding it up for the elf to see. Made your decision?

 

The elf relaxes slightly at the sight of the ink. "Yes. We can work together, as long as you agree to a few things, but I'm going to need your help preparing some stuff. Can we talk while we do that?"

 

Alright.

 

We begin making our way down the hall in the general direction of the kitchen. After a few moments the elf begins to speak, "The first thing I need you to agree to is not killing anyone unless I say you can. Or if they attack you first, I guess. You also can't eat bodies in front of other people or they're going to freak out."

 

I consider her request for a moment. I would prefer to be able to eat people, but I don't really need to. Considering my current size I should be able to survive for several years without eating, though I will need some food regularly to avoid losing mass. If it comes down to it I can just eat while the elf isn't around. Writing is a bit more difficult while moving, but not impossible. Acceptable.

 

The elf sighs heavily, visibly relaxing at my answer. "Second, I need you to listen to me. You might not be able to understand why I ask you to do something, but there will be a reason for it. Just go along with what I say.

 

Mostly possible. Sometimes, may need to do something.

 

As we enter the kitchen I notice the plate of bread and meat sitting atop the counter, a wooden bucket beside it. The elf grabs the bucket and lifts it with some difficulty, placing it atop me. "Here, can you carry this?"

 

It's heavy, but after a moment of repositioning myself I'm able to hold the bucket atop myself while keeping enough tendrils free to move around. It sloshes slightly while a try to move it, a small amount of water spilling down the side, but I can hold it in place well enough. It does make writing more difficult, though. I can carry it.

 

"Good, let's keep moving then." The elf grabs the plate, continuing to talk while she walks. "What's your goal? I need your help to get home to Sylva, but what do you want from me?"

 

Knowledge. Don't know about world, you teach me. Will help you get home.

 

"I can do that," she says. We come to a stop just before a corner, one that should lead to the room with the slaves. "What are you planning to do with the humans?"

 

Well, I was planning to eat them, but I can guess that the elf wouldn't like that answer. I can tell she's studying me, so I suppose the answer to this is important to her. You choose. Whatever you want.

 

"Good. Come on, I need you to translate."

 

The elf walks around the corner and I follow behind her. The humans are huddled in the corner of the room as usual, though they look over at us when the elf places the plate of food in front of them. Following her lead, I place the bucket of water beside the plate.

 

The elf glances down at me. "Translate what I say for them, OK?" She looks up at the humans, saying "This is for the two of you."

 

I translate the elf's words into the same language Farkas used, and hold the book up towards the two humans. One leans forwards slightly, squinting at the book, then pokes the other in the side. After a moment, the second glances at the writing then looks up at the elf and says, "Where is the Master?"

 

Once finished I hold up the translation for the elf. "The dark mage is dead. I made a deal with the Void creature, we're going to be leaving soon. Do the two of you have anywhere to go?"

 

"We belong to the Master."

 

The elf sighs. "Your master is dead. He isn't coming back. What are you going to do next?"

 

The human doesn't seem to know what to say. He and the other one whisper back and forth for a few minutes before eventually coming to an answer. "We'll return to Lux."

 

The elf nods at that. "We can help you find a town, but after that you're on your own."

 

"You should go back too. It's worse if you try to escape."

 

The elf doesn't respond to that, instead simply turning to leave. By the time we reach the door the humans have begun tearing into the food, quickly devouring it all.

19