2.1 Lunch With Ben
37 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I opened my eyes the next morning the sun was already shining into my bedroom window. I sighed contentedly. Sun in the morning gave me an extra boost and put me in a good mood. Yeah, I only lived on the 21st floor but there was a gap between the surrounding buildings which allowed about an hour of sunshine into my bedroom every morning from about 8 to 9. I just loved the feeling of getting kissed awake by the sun. 

To be fair, I would have loved getting kissed awake by Claudia even more but that wasn’t in the cards. The conversation with her had turned a little more flirty and the overtures weren’t exactly hidden but at the same time it hadn’t felt right to go any further. So we had said our goodbyes and I had headed home. I grinned replaying parts of that conversation in my mind. Let me tell you, I am not easily stumped when it comes to flirtation and double entendres but Claudia could give me a run for the money. And the best part was that she did it in such a matter of fact kind of way, it took me a while to know when she was playing and when she was serious. 

As I headed to the shower I noticed the blinking of my quantum watch. These things basically combined communication devices, bank account access, identification card and a whole lot of other things. It was mandatory to wear these things at all times. Government regulations and all. 

I touched the screen and the HUD alerted me to a call from my agent. Exactly the person I needed to talk to. “Hey Ben, how are things?”

“Dude, do you really need to ask? You lost. Got outsmarted and outmaneuvered, You are one lost game away from losing your number 1 spot in the ranking. You are getting old. That’s how it is going.”

I smiled. Always with the drama and theatrics. “Firstly: there is no getting, I AM old. Secondly: And?” I asked.

His previously frustrated and angry voice was replaced by a laugh. Then you could basically hear him grinning from ear to ear as he said: “And yet you managed to bring home the bacon baby!”

“That I did my friend. That I did. Still can’t believe the number that is currently displaying on my bank account. I need you to do something about that by the way.”

“Oh? Want to take me shopping? I could use a new suit to go with the new car you could buy me.”

I gave my watch screen the evil eye. “Nice try. You know what I mean. On that note though, I need to talk to you about something that has come up. So I am going to invite you to lunch today. Steak at the Blockhouse?”

“Ha, fuck my life!" he exclaimed. "I finally have a millionaire client and he invites me to steaks at a chain restaurant.”

“Or we can meet in your office. And I am expecting first class treatment being your first millionaire client and all…”

Now it was his turn to chuckle. “Yeah, not happening. I have known you for too long. If you are buying, I am eating. See you at 1:00.”

* * * * *

Blockhouse had gone from a steakhouse chain for the masses and transformed to something for the upper class and people that would like to be upper class. Considering the fact that good beef wasn't easy to come by, these guys made it their business to get it somehow. In the process they had also shaped their new corporate image. Nowadays when you walk into one of their restaurants you got a unique experience while at the same time finding it somewhat familiar. 

The one I walked into could have been cut straight from a medieval European castle with its natural rock walls, limited decoration and huge dining benches. But on a previous visit the Maître had told me that this was actually a rebuild of an Argentinian cattle ranch main house. Well, whatever. It was pretty swanky and they had good steak is what I am trying to say. 

I had made reservations after my call with Ben and the Maître waived for a waiter and after some whispered words said waiter led me into a private dining room off to the side. Ben was already there and seated in a big ass leather armchair nursing a whiskey. I asked the waiter for a good rum, neat, similar to Ben’s whiskey. And then I said down in the armchair in front of him. 

“So business or food first? I ordered food for us already by the way” he opened the conversation. 

“There he goes already milking me. Porter houses?” 

“Yep. Either I know you too well or you know me too well…”

“Whatever” I snorted. “Advice first.” I replied to his previous question. “I have something on my mind and I won’t be able to focus on enjoying the food and it might impact business as well.”

Now I had 150% of Ben’s attention. While he was all fun and easy going and usually appeared to be a big goof, when it came to business he was one hard ass mother… Something I appreciated about him. If it weren’t for that, I am sure I would never have made rank one in the first place. 

He leaned forward in his chair intently focused on me: “What’s going on?”

So I spilled the beans and told him about my meeting with Claudia and their offer. He listened without interrupting me or my train of thought. When I was finished he sighed. “Okay, so what do you want to do?”

“I honestly don’t know man. There is something said about the offer, especially the new N-link. But I have no idea what company this would be for, what the product is like or how long this thing is going to last. At the same time if the last fight and unpunished cheating is any indication, it might be time for me to look at other games. Plus, as you so astutely pointed out this morning, I am getting old.”

He nodded. “Yeah, didn’t think that the money would sway you. Especially not after last night. The N-link is a great deal. Once out of the test that should give you at least a while to consolidate your standing and figure out who sold your tactics.”

Shit, that was something else I definitely needed to look into. In the hectic of the last 24 hours it had dropped to somewhere close to the bottom of my priority list. 

“So what do you think I should do Mr. Agent?” 

“Honestly, I am struggling with exactly the same things as you are. Unknown factors in that offer. Especially in regards to the company. I would rather know who is bringing you on and dragging you away from your gaming.”

I nodded. 

“However,” he continued: “I am thinking more about the whole ranking aspect. The way the VR World Ranking works, it might actually be best if you would be unavailable for challenges the next three to six months. I was actually about to bring that up and wanted to hear your opinion. For one we need the time to figure out how the cheating wasn’t discovered or punished. Because that is a big deal, especially in a ranking fight this high up. Secondly if you aren’t around, your value will increase from a marketing point of view and the next time you get challenged we might actually hit another betting jackpot. And finally if you can combine that with a new N-link and marketing material I think this whole offer might actually be perfect timing.

“Listen, your Paris Dakar title won’t go away and the game is by now so old that there is really no point to defending it. It barely plays any role in the world ranking anymore. The shooting association championship is not for another 8 months. The only thing to be worried about is the Strike Force title and that is kind of in the air as it is. So I think we should stay away from this one on purpose at the moment. Your title will be confirmed as emeritus and when you are done with the beta test, you come back with inside knowledge of a new game that you can compete in or, if that isn’t possible you have the latest N-link upgrade and can simply challenge whoever holds the active title. And that will definitely drive the betting prices up and make you a boat load.”

I nodded along with his reasoning and only grimaced in the end. “Ben, you know I don’t do this to get rich. I do it because it is fun. If yesterday’s money gets invested decently, I can live happily ever after from the cash that will throw off. I could probably invite you to a steak every weekend and be okay.”

“Only because this much red meat will give me a heart attack in the next 2 years.” he grinned. “Want me to look into the whole investment situation or do you have someone to take care of that?”

“Hmm…” I scratched my chin.

“Seriously?” He raised his eyebrow at me. Then we both broke out in laughter. Yeah, we knew each other too well. 

“Make it happen number one!” I joked. “5% of the gains go to you.”

“Kade, I love you like a brother and I would not take one credit over 15% from you.”

“Whatever, the standard 10 it is then.” We shook hands on that deal, clink our glasses and ex’ed our drinks. 

“Okay my man, I guess this guy is starting a career as a beta tester.”

As if on cue the waiter arrived and we enjoyed another two hours of Porterhouse steaks and shooting the shit. Then I decided to enjoy my new found riches by doing… absolutely nothing. And finally, just before hitting the hay I sent an email to the address Claudia had given me the previous evening and confirmed that I took the job. 

0