Prologue- Recollections of the past- part-1 Jane POV
51 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We were born in the St-Rose Private Hospital in the City of Valesidim (fused from the villages of Vale and Saint-Dimittri after the boom in population of 1870), my parents like to tell my sister that it was a beautiful day with the a clear azure sky and the sun shining throughout or that when they first took her in their arms a ray of sunshine pierced the grey clouds (sometime i think that they do it on purpose) and shined on her face, we were autumn children, my brother ten year old at the time and already sporting an eidetic memory later told me that the sky was dotted with grey clouds and that we were in an aisle of the hospital with decent lighting but no way for a sunray to shine on someone in that room.

I verified those facts coincidentally at another time when buying myself a birthday present the day after my sister had her 23rd birthday party by reading the local newspaper published the week of my birth from one of my hoarder friends (she also gave me a cupcake) and when going there for a family check-up and finding out that indeed the topmost rooms of the obstetrics branch of the aisle were facing the opposite direction of were the sun would make its way at that time of the year.

But in the end what irked me the most wasn't that they were lying but that in the stories that came out of their mouths I never was one of the protagonists.

For our names the parentals had thought of them before the pregnancy, Karrie if it was a girl (which they hoped for) and John if (sadly) it was a boy and betrayed their expectations while flooring their plans, when they learned that they had twins they decided without as much effort this time additional names, keep the names they had thought of for the first born; Karl for two boys and Jane for two girls, so yup when my brother taught us were our names came from I was a bit pissed at the fact that my name was a bastardisation of the image my parents had of "John the unwanted" at least i wasn't "Karl the second fiddle" so small blessings were you get them.

When I was younger I imagined what it would have been like if my sister had her fortune split with me, imagining being the eldest of the two or having superpowers, the first fantasy disappeared quickly when I learned that I would have been named Karrie in that case, already  having formed a dislike to the name, the second disappeared later when learning of what SuperJobs entailed and the governmental measures on Powered people.

Growing up my parents were too busy taking care of my sister as she was a Super from birth, o joy o despair, while I was relegated to the care of a ten year old boy .

"It was time you learned how to take care of others as an elder brother, it's what you need to learn to become a real man!" declared the tallest clown Maximillien Turner a thirty year old Action Movie actor to young Jeremy Turner child genius that grew like his father on the stories of his grandpa Declan Turner an ex-military general, meanwhile Selena Moore Turner a pop-singer with a solid fanbase and medium fame fussing on a child with features mirroring her own blue eyes and blond fuzz added "Once we find out you become good enough you will help us take care of your sisters, won't you sweetie?" this was the day when young Jay confirmed that his parents were irresponsible and unreliable, he later learned that his parents didn't hire a nanny because they apparently wouldn't be competent enough to take care of Karrie and that Jane apparently didn't need one like he did and that he did the job well enough.

Poor Jeremy's life from 10 to 13 was pure hell and from there to 20 a mild purgatory, according to him I was the worse one at the start; being cared for by my mother for a dismal amount of time lead me to cry a lot just to try and get her attention, with time my attempts declined in number but increased in intensity, switching tactics apparently, this would lead my brother to learn how to anticipate my needs to diminish my outbursts and me to imprint him as my parent and the adults as food and money dispensers later, my sister overtook me with sheer energy and destructive power as her powers manifested and grew, he didn't appreciate the burns and the destruction of his clothes and toys as much as the parents witnessing the growth of their spawn so her and my ranking in his heart furthered their distance at that time (I was at the rank of ant farm he had to take care of for a school/personal project/object of studies while she was a pure inconvenience and source of annoyance and my cries simply alarms for his tasks activating only if he messed up his own timing), at that age I already started to hate her: when we were fed at the same time one of the rare occasions were we where in the same room she would nine out of ten times (for every meal in my life for six consecutive years until she started getting a better handle on her "gifts") accidentally discharge and I would be affected randomly by the usage of one of her powers: accidently blinded by her light, deafened by her sonic scream, flashbanged by both, heating up to burning temperature, getting my heat stolen from my body and suffering hypothermia and more and it wasn't always at great strength or length but I was still hospitalized a few times, still I couldn't be free of the infernal demon and her lackeys as they still needed to visit me if not out of the rare moment of clarity, memory or parental obligation but to maintain their public image.

Around 4 years old a marked improvement started to show in both of us (with my sister being first obviously), our memories started being more continuous, we could move out of our own volition, had more control over our bowel movement (and powers in her case), and our babblings consisted of enough coherent words that the surroundings could vaguely figure out what we were on about and I have to sadly concede that her development mental and otherwise had always been at least three steps ahead of me, my brother having witnessed the literal demonstration of the saying and I wouldn't have been able to catch up to her on the things we both wanted or needed to do without his help, again literally in this case, he would often use the incident to encourage me or to point out to me to rely on others, it had the unintended side effect of me growing up to be an unashamed brocon.

And we developed one of the banes for all guardians of children out there; curiosity, but I had already developed a modicum of patience and an absolute loyalty towards big bro so no was no and that was it, didn't stop me from getting in danger anyway, my sister was facing those dangers head on, because:"whyyy nooo ?" and she was more resilient anyway and she would surely figure it out better on her own yup yup. My brother then understood the trauma he had created in the adults around him previously and why so many people looked at him with that odd look of schadenfreude when he asked for help.

2