Chapter 5- Mean Old Lady
854 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nine am- The Next Morning 
  
Ko cleared the kitchen table after serving a breakfast of Saeng Sun Jun for Kayla and himself. A hot meal for a cold morning. But he needed to get Kayla dressed for the babysitter as he and Rica Reyes would head out today. To handle some business. 
  
Placing the dishes in the sink, Ko called out to Kayla in the back, “Little one? Are you getting dressed?” 
  
“Yes!” Kayla responded while entering the kitchen in new dark jeans and a sweater. But her ponytail needed tightening. “Ko?” 
  
“Yes.” 
  
“Why can’t I come with you?” she asked sad faced. 
  
“Eh?” He took a knee, “Kayla, we discussed this. I have to work today-” 
  
“You mean work for my father?” 
  
“Uh..” 
  
Ko gulped at her expected question. Whenever Kayla asked about her father his heart sank with guilt for not telling her the truth. And he knew he had to have this conversation with her at some point. It’s just that the timing- Vrooooom! At that moment his phone buzzed. He glanced at the Manhattan area code on the display screen, smirking before answering. 
  
“Hello?” 
  
“Good morning,” Rica greeted on the line. “Are you awake?” 
  
“I’m washing dishes.” 
  
“How domestic~” 
  
“Such is life.” 
  
“Heh, I’m glad you’re in good spirits. But listen, my mom and I are in the lobby. We’re on our way up, see you in a minute.” She hung up. 
  
“Oh~” He placed the phone down with a head shake. Not used to Rica’s style yet he hustled to the back to try to get Kayla’s shoes on. But the baby girl pouted. 
  
“Mmm, Ko, I want to stay here,” she whined. 
  
“I do to little one, but I have to work, and I can’t leave you here alone. So Rica’s mom is going to take you out to do fun things today. Now let’s put your shoes on, ok?” Ko gazed at Kayla with sad eyes, in hopes she would feel sorry for him. 
  
“Eeeeeh?” she pouted. “Is her mom a mean old lady?” 
  
“Rica’s mother?” He narrowed his eyes and chuckled at the thought. “No, Rica’s mother is...something else entirely.” 
  
Kayla double took at him. “What?” 
  
Suddenly the doorbell rang. Ko stood up to answer it but gave Kayla a gentle scowl, “Please put your shoes on.” 
  
“No!” she stomped her foot on the floor. 
  
“Ai, little one!” Shaking his head he answered the front door. 
  
Reyna and Rica 
  
When Ko opened the door he composed himself at the sight of Rica Reyes and her mother, Reyna Rai. Whoa! he thought as the mother and daughter stood in the hallway staring at him. Each wore stylish knee high boots and winter coats. Two beautiful brunette divas who stepped out of a fashion magazine. 
  
“Good morning ladies, please come in,” said Ko stepping aside. 
  
“How gracious of you to invite me into my own apartment,” Reyna greeted, strutting in wearing a white fur lined navy blue coat. And more stunning than Ko remembered her. 
  
“You just couldn’t wait to say that, could you mother?” Rica teased following behind her in a dark gold leather skirt, black stockings, and sunglasses. 
  
“Absolutely, and now I feel better, so what else you got bratty girl?” Reyna snapped at Rica with a smile and a spin to Ko. “Well hello, Ko. I see you’re not a little boy with a big rifle anymore, hmm?” 
  
Ko didn’t bite, “It’s nice to meet you again, Ms. Rai.” 
  
“Meet me again? Honey we never met the first time,” Reyna said, looking him up and down in his t-shirt and black jeans. “But I’m happy you landed on your feet, pretty boy.” 
  
He lowered his eyes with a blush. “Thank you for allowing Kayla and I to stay here, Ms. Rai.” 
  
“Ha, you’re welcome. But if you want to thank me go get the baby’s bike out of the hallway,” she replied, waving her hand at the door.  
  
“Bike?” In the hallway Ko spotted a pink and white little girl’s bicycle with training wheels. “Well that’s lovely.” He rolled it inside and gestured to call Kayla out, but Rica beat him to it. 
  
“Kayla honey, may I please have a hug?” Rica cooed. 
  
Kayla stepped out of the back room with no shoes on. “Hi Rica,” she said quietly. Not leaving the hallway where she stood. But her eyes quickly fell on the bike Ko pushed into the apartment, “Ah?” 
  
“Hi baby, do you see ♪ something you like?” Reyna sang to Kayla. 
  
The little girl glanced up at Reyna with a look of recognition. “Oh, you were at Rica’s party last night. You made me the poodle balloon!” said Kayla. 
  
“So you remember me?” Reyna replied. “Actually it was my boyfriend who made the balloon, I just gave it to you ♪ because you were so cute!” 
  
“Ah!” Kayla blushed. 
  
“Hi, I’m still waiting for my hug, and now I want kisses too!” said Rica smiling and advancing on Kayla until she grabbed the little girl, and hugged her. 
  
“Nyoooo,” Kayla play-struggled in Rica’s grip. 
  
“Oh no, there’s no escape you pretty little thing. You went to my party last night and ate my cotton candy. So that means you owe me, hee hee,” said Rica, smiling with evil. 
  
“Yaaa!” Kayla squirmed to resist, but soon submitted to Rica’s love.  
  
“Hee, hee! Struggle all you want, kiss-kiss!” 
  
Ko had no words for the sight in front of him. In under a minute Rica walked in and placed Kayla in a happy trance, she laughed and smiled. A second afterward Rica’s mother Reyna joined in with fun talk about the park and having a good time today, while putting Kayla’s shoes on. 
  
“So are you going to put on your other shoe for me?” Reyna asked Kayla. 
  
“Yes!” Kayla smiled. 
  
“Thank you, and when you’re done I’m gonna fix your ponytail, ok?”  
  
“Ok!” 
  
Reyna’s motherly touch brought comfort to Ko’s unending worry. Sweet Kayla, she never had a real mom since her mother’s early passing. That’s what Joo Han, her late father, told Ko. He also said the only real women Kayla stayed with for any length of time were his girlfriends. And they weren’t shit, according to Joo. 
  
But these ladies, Reyna and Rica. They were different. They’re affection for Kayla seemed all too real. But why? What did they want? 
  
He dismissed the question. Stay vigilant, Ko. You have work to do. 
  
Faith 
  
While the ladies tended to Kayla, Ko dressed himself in a more stylish ensemble to match his boss Rica. He put on a buttoned shirt and a blazer. Confident in his appearance he stepped out to the living room and found Reyna sitting on the couch checking her phone. She raised her eyes when he entered. 
  
“I’m sure Rica will approve of your look,” she said. 
  
He blushed at her statement while glancing about, “Heh, um, where’s Rica?” 
  
“She’s in the back with Kayla bonding. You guys have a few minutes before you have to be anywhere. So come over and talk to me for a bit. Entertain me,” she spoke in a friendly manner. 
  
Ko saw this as an opportunity. He wouldn’t waste it. “Ms. Rai, what’s your interest with Kayla?” he asked. 
  
“Kayla?” she smiled, “So, you are concerned with the child? Hmm, how noble~” 
  
“That’s not an answer.” 
  
“Ha!” Reyna stood up. “Alright, let’s just say I have a soft spot for innocent little girls in trouble. The rest is politics and other things. But rest assured, Ko. And I’m telling you this now. Until my daughter handles this situation with the Turks and the Kims, I will be keeping company with Kayla. Do you understand?” 
  
“Ah..” Ko composed himself at her statement, and carefully answered back, “Ms. Rai, Kayla is Korean and-” 
  
“No, Kayla is a native born American citizen, as was her mother. And I’m genuinely concerned with her welfare-” 
  
“I can keep her safe!” 
  
“Oh, of that I have no doubt, Ko. But here’s my question.” She locked eyes with him, “Do you really think you could keep that baby safer than I can? Hmm? Do you, boy?” 
  
Her stare pierced his soul as he lowered his eyes, and said nothing. For before him stood a legendary Rifle Girl. The Villain Reyna Rai. The absolute killer elite of assassins. And Ko knew he was not on her level yet. But Reyna eased back into a maternal demeanor. 
  
“Don’t overthink it, Ko. Because even at you’re young age I know you’re a professional, and I’ve seen what you can do. That’s why I want you to protect Rica during all of this,” said Reyna. 
  
“Eh?” He looked at her. “Rica, I’m making a lot of trouble for her, aren’t I?” 
  
Reyna smirked, “It ain’t all about you. But I’m sure you know your mechanic skills are why you’re a guest in this apartment.” 
  
“But of course.” 
  
“Heh heh, cocky boy. But listen, you don’t worry about Kayla, I got her. But you watch my daughter’s back.” 
  
“That goes without question.” He grinned with pride. 
  
“I know, but Ko. Listen to me.” She gazed at him. 
  
“Yes, Ms. Rai?” 
  
“My daughter is a villainous little bitch, and I know that because I raised her to be one. So while you’re guarding her, please have faith in her.” 
  
Faith? “Right, I hear you, Ms. Rai.” 
  
“My name is Reyna. And I don’t think you hear me yet, but you will.” She straightened his collar.  
  
“Oh, thank you.” As Ko nodded in appreciation, Rica and Kayla emerged from the back. Rica eyed Reyna with an evil grin. 
  
“Mom, you didn’t tell him something crazy did you?” said Rica, gesturing at Ko. 
  
“Like what, dear? That you’re a troublesome daughter who doesn’t love her mother, hmph!” Reyna pouted. 
  
Rica chuckled and kissed Reyna on her cheek. 
  
“Kiss! Yes-yes, I do love my mommy, but I have to go!” said Rica. 
  
“I love you too, baby, but take Ko with you! Kiss!” 
  
“Fine, I'll take him.” Rica turned to Ko. “Are you armed?” 
  
Ko displayed his black nine millimeter in a shoulder holster. Rica eyed the weapon then him from head to toe, inspecting his wardrobe. He wore slim black pants, dark blazer, collared shirt. 
  
She smiled. “Seems I guessed your sizes right, now let’s go.” 
  
“Where are we going?” Ko asked. 
  
“You and I are going to go sip tea with the Turks, of course.” 
  
"The Turks?" Ko’s blood boiled at the mention of the crew that murdered Kayla’s uncles. And now Rica said they would meet with those butchers. 
  
“And what would we have to say to the Turks?” Ko asked, calm and cool. 
  
“Hmm?” Rica placed her finger on her cheek. “No, it’s not what we have to say to the Turks, because we don’t have to say anything. The real question is: What are the Turks gonna say to us?"   
  
  
 ... 
 

16