Chapter 8- Burn After Reading
695 6 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Monday, Eight am 
  
A light tug roused Ko from his sleep. 
  
“Ko?” Kayla’s soft voice woke him. 
  
“Kayla?” He opened his eyes while she stood on the side of the bed. “Oh no, I must have overslept,” he grumbled pulling himself up. “Is Rica awake?” 
  
“She left already.” 
  
“Oh, she’s gone?” He lowered his eyes. 
  
“Yes, but she said to tell you happy hunting!” 
  
He smirked, “Is that right?” 
  
“Yeah, and she said to give you this!” Kayla handed him an envelope with the words, Burn after reading handwritten on the front.  
  
Ko opened and read the letter inside. “Hmm,” he mumbled as he scanned the contents, then stuffed the paper back in the envelope.  
  
“Ko?” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
“Is Rica your girlfriend?” 
  
“Eh?” He caught himself, “Not that I’m aware. Why do you ask?” 
  
“Because she gave you a love letter?” she said pointing at the paper. 
  
“Ah, that’s not a love letter. Actually it’s a to do list, of sorts,” Ko claimed as he climbed out of bed in a pair of stylish men’s pajamas he found in the dresser drawer. His size and everything.  
  
“A to do list, hunh?” Kayla asked, more than likely not knowing what he meant. 
  
“Exactly. Now let’s make breakfast and get you dressed, ok?” 
  
“Yes, I know. Ms. Reyna’s coming to pick me up, but Ko?” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
She lowered her eyes, “Well, when you’re not working maybe we can go to park. I want to show you I can ride the bike-” 
  
“Kayla?” He patted her head. 
  
“Yes.” 
  
“I would love to see you ride your bike, and I-” 
  
“I know, you have to work. It’s ok, but soon.” 
  
Guilt shot across his face. “Of course. And sooner than you know. I promise.” A sincere promise. Not a mechanic’s promise.  
  
“Ok, I believe you. Ko, can we have bacon and eggs for breakfast?” 
  
“Heh heh, yes you American child. We can have bacon and eggs, and tea!”  
  
“I don’t want tea!” she pouted. 
  
“Well I do.” 
  
He smiled for her, but deep inside his guilt stabbed him like a bayonet as he avoided any mention of her father. Continuing his honest lie. 
  
Nine am 
  
Reyna arrived on schedule to pick up Kayla. But when Ko answered the door he noticed Reyna’s true height as she wasn’t wearing high heeled boots this time. She’s a shortyhe joked to himself. For Reyna, and Rica, stood a modest five foot-five inches when not wearing heels. Where Ko stood five foot-ten inches without shoes. This allowed him to look down, with a smile. 
  
“What are you looking at?” Reyna asked with a squint as Ko let her in. 
  
“Not so tall today, eh?” he teased. 
  
“Hmph!” she pouted, “You try chasing a five year old around in heels!” 
  
“I’ll take your word for it.” He closed the door with a snicker. 
  
Fun and games aside, Ko felt the honeymoon was over, and he wanted to ask Reyna a few questions about this situation. 
  
“Reyna, may I speak to you for a moment?” 
  
“Speak to me?” She turned to him, “You sound like a parent at school. What can I do for you?” 
  
She locked eyes with him when she spoke, which made him oddly nervous. 
  
“When we first arrived in this apartment everything was set up for a child. And you all knew who Kayla was. Why and how did you know about her-” 
  
“Ah!” she interrupted. “It’s not all a secret, Ko. But I’ll keep it quick and simple for you, ok?” 
  
Ko nodded as Reyna took a breath, appearing to gather her thoughts before answering. 
  
“Ko, it’s my daughter’s job with Tara and Kitty’s crew to keep her ear to the streets. And she’s exceptional at it. And that is as it should be for she’s a Rifle Girl. And that’s what Rifle Girls do. I’m sure you know that.” 
  
“Yes,” He agreed. Rifle Girls were more than just assassins. Rifle Girls specialized in infiltration and information gathering. And of course, they were instruments of death. “You and Rica, are kunoichi. I’m well aware of this,” he answered.   
  
“Then the answer is straight, Ko. Rica knew you arrived in New York City three weeks ago. And all of us heard about Kayla’s father’s murder, and her subsequent kidnapping by the Kims. The rest was-” 
  
“Obvious?” Ko tilted his head, “What was obvious?” 
  
Reyna smiled, “I won’t say much more than I should, Ko. But I’ll tell you this.” Her voice lowered. “Rica knew, without question, that you would rescue the little girl. And we were always aware of the Kim’s relation to Kayla, not that it was any of our business. But my daughter made it her business when she picked a side, and helped you.” 
  
“Rica knew I would rescue Kayla?” he asked. 
  
“Heh, let’s just say she had faith in you, Ko.” 
  
“Ah..” He blushed. But still, “How did Rica know the Han’s would seek Tara and Kitty’s help. How did she know we would need-” 
  
“Need a safe house? Ko, what the fuck? This is basic contracting. Safe harbor for clients. Come on! You know this stuff, you’re a mechanic!” 
  
“I know that. My question is how did you all know that Sam and the Han clan would seek help from Boss Tara?” He asked. 
  
Reyna lowered her eyes to a scowl, “Why don’t you try asking your buddy Sam how Rica and Tara and Kitty predicted he would come groveling to them once the Kim’s killed Kayla’s father.” 
  
“I see.” Ko said nothing more. For Reyna answered his question with an insult to Sam and the Han clan. And the truth stung. “What choice did Sam have?” 
  
“There’s always a choice, Ko. But luckily for you and Kayla, Sam made the right one, wouldn’t you agree?” 
  
Ko grinned. “Still too early to tell. Wouldn’t you agree?” he answered. 
  
“Hahaha, I think I’ve had enough of your questions for one morning, cutie. And now I’d like to play with Kayla.” 
  
He bowed, “Forgive my ungrateful beh-” 
  
“No, it’s alright. You’re just asking the questions any concerned parent would ask. And in case you’re wondering, neither Rica, nor myself have any ill intentions for Kayla. What you see is what you get. Now if you’ll excuse me.” 
  
“Of course.” He kept his eyes lowered as Reyna turned to the apartment rear. 
  
“Kayla, honey!” she shouted. Two seconds later Kayla appeared from the back room, carrying a toy doll. 
  
“Hi Reyna, I was watching tv with my dollies.” 
  
“Is that what you were doing?” Reyna hugged her, “kiss kiss. I missed you, Kayla!” 
  
“Aww!” 
  
Kayla smiled and blushed, basking in Reyna’s affection. Ko gazed at them while the girls discussed taking the toy doll to the park. 
  
“It’s cold out, Dolly will need a coat!” said Reyna. 
  
“Oh, I made a cape for her, come on I’ll show it to you!” Kayla yelped and bolted to the back, but quickly turned around. “Oh, bye Ko. Don’t work too late!” 
  
“Ah…” Everything Kayla said to him made him smile, and worry about her. “I’ll try not to, little one.” 
  
“Ok!” 
  
As Kayla ran to the back, Reyna observed Ko. Soon a clever smile spread across her face as she stared at him. He quickly dropped his caring expression. 
  
“You know a good mechanic should never get too close, Ko.” 
  
Ko snapped to attention, “I can handle it.” 
  
“Can you? Well, I guess we’ll see, won’t we?” 
  
An awkward silence.
  
“Ms. Rai. I mean, Reyna. I have to go.” 
  
“I know you do,” Reyna whispered as Ko adjusted his coat, and a long bag he carried, before stepping out the apartment door. But Reyna had one more thing. “Ko?” 
  
He half turned, “Yes?” 
  
“She might be right about you.” 
  
“Eh?” Ko didn’t follow, “Who?” 
  
“Heh heh. Do try to keep up, young man. And have a nice day.” 
  
“Right.” He nodded, “And thank you for everything, Reyna.” 
  
“You’re welcome, Ko.” 
  
And with that he stepped off to start the day with his to do list. Which meant… 
  
  
  
  
  
  
Time to hunt... 

14