Chapter 12- Heel, Boy!
573 6 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Five pm - Chinatown 
  
Ko retrieved a few personal items from his car before he and Rica walked to the the Canal street subway station to catch an uptown train. Unfortunately they arrived in the middle of rush hour. 
  
“Hmm,” Ko muttered at the site of hundreds of people crammed together on the subway waiting platform. “Is it always like this?” he asked. 
  
“At this time of day it is,” said Rica. “And it’s actually not too crowded.” Holding his arm she led him down the steps of the underground metro. “Come on, we’ll fight for a spot.” As they descended to the packed platform, a train barreled in from the tunnel. Right on time. 
  
Tight 
  
Upon entering the cramped train car, filled with New Yorkers heading home from work, Ko and Rica were forced to stand face to face with each other. And since Rica couldn’t reach a pole she held on to Ko’s waist. And he held onto her. 
  
“Don’t get any ideas,” she said, gazing in his brown eyes. 
  
“Hmph,” he grunted, and lowered himself to whisper in her ear, “Rica?” 
  
“Yes?” 
  
“You know you indirectly ordered the hits on all those men. You wanted them dead. So why did you disobey Tara’s command?” 
  
“Eh? I didn’t disobey anyone,” she whispered back. “I just hurried things along, that’s all.” 
  
“Right, and now your two bosses are pissed off at you, and me.” 
  
“Heh, heh,” she lay her head on his chest, “Don’t misunderstand Tara and Kitty. They weren’t as upset as they let on. Those girls don’t give a damn who I kill, as long as it doesn’t come back to them. But their main concern was locating Ahmed, and-” She looked up at Ko. 
  
“And what?” he asked, her warm body on his. 
  
“They really just wanted to check you out. Especially since I’m the one that vouched for you.” 
  
Ko’s eyes narrowed. “Then I think I blew my first impression with them.” 
  
“Heh heh, actually they were quite impressed with you. Especially big sis Tara,” Rica whispered. 
  
“What?” Ko frowned, “Were you and I in the same meeting? Because your boss Tara didn’t sound too thrilled with me.” 
  
“Well if you think that way, it’s because you weren’t listening to her. Do try and keep up, hunting dog.” She pressed her face against his chest, hugging him tight.   
  
But Ko glared at her, “Did you just call me a dog?” 
  
“You heard me,” she purred. 
  
He leaned closer to her ear, “Let me make something clear with you-” 
  
But Rica didn’t listen, instead she jammed her tongue in his mouth and kissed him passionately.
  
“Oh..” Although surprised by her action, Ko didn’t resist. He kissed her right back, with equal passion. Hugging her, wanting her. 
  
The tightly packed mass of onlookers on the train said nothing as the teens continued their amorous display, for a full minute. Until..  
  
“Mmm, heel boy!” Rica pulled back, placing her finger over his mouth. 
  
He smirked, “What? I shouldn’t get any ideas?” 
  
“That’s right, smart ass!” she bit his nose. 
  
“Heh, of course not. You don’t want me to think,” he cupped her chin, “Because I’m just a pawn in your game anyway.” 
  
“Not true,” she caressed his face, “I’d never let a pawn touch me. You sir, are a Knight.” 
  
“A Knight?” He squinted at her with suspicion, “Or am I a hunting dog?” 
  
“Both.” She kissed him again, then pushed him away, “However.” 
  
“However what?” 
  
“However, if you stick with me-” she pulled his ear to her lips, and whispered, “-Then I’ll make you a King.” 

“Ah?” Ko backed off. His passion now replaced with wariness. “What do you mean, a King?” 
  
“I mean-” she kissed him, “-this is my stop.” 
  
“Eh?” 
  
Before Ko could look up, the train came to a screeching halt in the Union Square station. After a moment the doors opened, and Rica, with her eyes on him, drifted out on to the crowded platform. Leaving him behind to ponder her meaning. And as the car doors closed and Rica vanished into the masses, he remembered Reyna’s words: 
  
“My daughter is a villainous little bitch, but have faith in her.” 
  
He smirked at the thought. Easier said than done. 
  
Paternal 
  
As soon as Ko arrived in the safe apartment he called Reyna to check on Kayla. And to ask her a favor: 
  
“Ko honey, this is not a favor,” said Reyna on the phone, “Because Kayla is a joy, and she can stay with me forever if she wants.” 
  
Ko nodded, “I understand. So, it’s ok if she spends the night with you tonight?” 
  
“I just told you yes.” 
  
“I know.” He exhaled, “I just don’t want us to be a burden to you.” 
  
“Ko, if you were a burden I would’ve never agreed to this arrangement. Now, would you like to speak to her?” 
  
Ko lit up, “Yes, I would, if you don’t mind.” 
  
“Kayla! Ko is on the phone!” 
  
“He is?” asked Kayla’s voice in the background. A muffle of phone exchange before, “Hello?” 
  
“Hi Kayla!” He missed her terribly, “Are you having fun with Ms. Reyna?” 
  
“Hi Ko! Yes, we went the kids museum and I finger painted to the alphabet, and you know for the letter A there’s a color called aqua!” 
  
“Really, how educational!” Ko said, wishing he saw her paint colored hands. 
  
“Yeah, and plus I rode my bike, and Dan said he would take the training wheels off because, because-” 
  
“Because you’re amazing and can already ride a bike, like I knew you could?” 
  
“Ya! Well..almost, but I only fell twice and-” 
  
Ko smiled and listened as Kayla rambled off the rest of her day. He learned she had a, “big girl's” room at Dan and Reyna’s place, with more toys and a big tv. 
  
“Yeah? That’s all wonderful, little one,” said Ko. 
  
“Ko, do you have to work tonight?” 
  
“Yes, I do. So is it ok if you spend the night with Ms. Reyna and Dan?” he added. 
  
“That’s fine, you gonna pick me up tomorrow?” 
  
“Of course I will, Kayla. I have to make sure you speak Korean, and eat Korean food,” he said all lame. 
  
“Haha ok! Ms. Reyna wants to talk to you.” 
  
“Ok, put her on the phone. And you have a good night, and don’t make trouble for Ms. Reyna, ok?” 
  
“I won’t, bye Ko!” 
  
“Bye, little one.” 
  
When Kayla got off the phone Ko’s heart sank. He had no idea how paternal he’d felt for her until she said, ‘bye.’ It destroyed him. 
  
“Hello?” Reyna’s voice. 
  
“Hi Reyna. Um..I’ll be around in the city tonight, just call me if you need anything.” 
  
“Heh, I doubt I’ll need anything. Is Rica with you?” she asked. 
  
“No, she left me on the train at Union Square station. I don’t know where she went.” 
  
“Don’t overthink it. That little brat is always up to no good,” Reyna assured. 
  
“Yeah, she’s a busy girl,” said Ko, “But thanks for watching Kayla, and you have a good night.” 
  
“Heh heh, sure. Bye Ko!” Reyna hung up. 
  
Afterwards Ko scrolled his phone log from his living room. He stopped at a familiar number and dialed it. 
  
“Hello,” greeted a male voice in Korean. 
  
“Sam, it’s Ko.” 
  
“Ko? I’ve been wanting to call you-” 
  
“I know, Sam, but listen. You need to meet me in the city now, we gotta talk.” 
  
“Right now?” 
  
“Yes, It’s what we thought. Jun-Seo Kim is somehow working with the Turks.” 
  
“What? That son of bitch!” Sam growled, “How do you know it's true?” 
  
“Let’s just say I confirmed it,” said Ko. 
  
“Ok, that’s enough for me. I’ll meet you at K-BBQ’s in an hour,” Sam replied. 
  
Ko checked the time. “One hour, got it.” 
  
But Sam had one last question, “Have you told Tara and Kitty about this confirmation.” 
  
Ko paused, “No, I haven’t told anyone. Just you.” 
  
“Uh?” Sam hesitated as if he were going to ask the obvious follow up question, why not? But he didn’t. “Ok, we’ll discuss everything in an hour.” 
  
“Got it. Bye.” 
  
Ko hung up, and slid down on the couch in the safe apartment living room. He didn’t have a definite answer as to why he never told Rica, or Tara and Kitty, that he saw Jun-Seo Kim in Brooklyn with Rafa and Kadir. 
  
Maybe he just didn’t want to admit that he failed to kill Jun-Seo in that warehouse. Not enough time. Or maybe it's just that mechanics keep secrets. 
 

...And don’t know why.

11