Chapter 20: Origin of the White Witch Part 1
148 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
This is one of six remaining chapters I wrote, there used to be a few more but I deleted them for a couple reasons. When I started this I had an ending in mind, but as I continued to write it, the direction got a bit lost. What follows is a 3 chapter flashback leading into the climax of what was intended to be the end of the first arc.

However, I started to realize how much I disliked how the second arc would play out, and when I removed those chapters and bits of these chapters, nothing remained for me to work with. For all intent and purposes the second arc would have to reset things in either a hard or soft reboot to continue, or pull something really, really contrived out of thin air to get the story back on track.

Also, the balance between the Game side and the Meta side became too great, and I only felt like it was going to get worse from here. The meta parts were meant as a framing device for the story, but ended up becoming the main thrust of the story itself, with our goblin protagonist really, truly becoming as insignificant as the unbalanced game board said she was.

I still like most of what I've written in these 6 chapters, but I do not know how to continue past them without cheap deus ex machina or adding new characters to make things more convoluted, neither of which I want to do.

If you enjoyed it up to this point, I appreciate your support, and I apologize for this, but I have to end it. I should have had a more clear roadmap before I got this deep into writing it, so as to not get lost.

 

“Since you don’t even know the true nature of this game, I’ll show you.” Vi pulled me from the gameboard, but we did not return to Beelzebub’s mansion. Floating in a dark void, the rest of the world dissolved around us until it was just me, and Vi. 

“Things are gonna get messy if you continue to comment like this on everything, so just stay as a silent observer. This isn’t the gameboard you’re a protagonist of, anyways.”

Unable to speak anymore, I watched the world reassemble itself around us. It was similar in setting, but different. And then, the memories of this game board began to flow into me, and for a while, my sense of self washed away.

-

Within a dark, dreary dungeon, 5 figures were imprisoned. I was the fifth, because I was the youngest to be sent here. I couldn’t remember anything outside of the walls. For what crime I had committed, I had no idea. None of us could, none of us knew the outside. Chained to the wall, loose enough to move in our cells, but not enough to attempt an escape, we waited in darkness. 

When the outsiders came to feed us, just enough food to keep us alive, not enough to become strong enough to resist, they would insult and taunt us. I often heard the words “Cursed child, you’ll bring ruin to us all!” or similar.

And one by one, the five cursed children were no more. I was the last, alone, scared in the dark. My body was so weak, I could tell I was at the end of the line, unable to even stand, barely able to speak. 

Suddenly, I was no longer alone in that cell. But no guards came, the door remained closed. A warm, safe feeling wrapped around my body, and a voice echoed all around me. 

“What a pitiful sight, can you even stand?” the soft, kind male voice around me asked, but he already knew the answer. “Of course you can’t, but I can help you.”

“Are you… a God?” I managed to ask, but even speaking took a lot out of me. 

“A god of sorts, yes, but I need your help.” he answered, a vague shape materializing in front of me. He held out a small, flat object with a symbol I didn’t recognize. “It might be less painful were you to die here, but I’ll give you the choice. Will you take my hand and leap into the fire to be free?”

“Save me…” my voice, barely a whisper called out to the figure in the darkness.

“Good.” he responded, pressing the card against my limp, unmoving left hand. A sound like my flesh burning filled my ears, but I couldn't feel anything in my numb body. “Escape from here, grow strong, and defeat the demon lord that plagues this world. That is the price of our contract, I can offer you no more assistance.”

[Race: Human] [Class: Joker] [Level: 9]

[Mind:9] [Body:9] [Soul: 9]

[HP:9][MP:9][SP:9]

[Skills: 9’s Wild, Curse of Darkness]

[9’s Wild: Passive Skill: Every number within the system connected to you shall only ever be ’9’] 

I woke up to those numbers and words floating in front of my vision. 

[Curse of Darkness: one of the cursed children, marked by the Black Beast, a dark fire burns within.]

I vaguely recalled one of the other cursed children, the oldest, talking about the divine blessings of heroes, how they were given special Skills and number scores that made them stronger. Was I then… an adventurer now?

I stood up, my body still weak and shaky, but stronger than before. I had no frame of reference, but these numbers seemed rather low, didn’t they? And how was I supposed to escape, anyways?

I walked to the cell door, but the chains around my neck, hands and feet were too short, stopping me from reaching it. I reached towards the door, desperately, hoping to somehow reach it!

A gout of pitch black fire shot from my hand, an intense magical force that burned and melted the steel bars. The intense flames had even melted the shackle on my wrist, the molten metal burned my skin, but my hand was free. 

Soon after that, I learned to control it. And then, as if I could have left any time I wished, I walked out of the dungeon cell.

As I ascended the stairs, the door opened, and the guard who brought me food began to walk down, until he saw me, that is. 

“S-She’s escaped!” he screamed, dropping the tray of food and rushing back upstairs. I picked up the dropped bread, and began to eat it. 

Several guards rushed in, only to be met with a burst of abyssal flame. Above their heads, a red number -9 ticked over and over as the flames burned them, and they were reduced to ashes within seconds.

Endless nines. My skills, my ability scores, my health, my damage. It was all nine.

[XP gained +9]

[XP gained +9]

The amount of XP I needed to level was also 9, but every time I gained 9 XP, my level didn’t increase. 

I walked through the building above the dungeon, a rich, posh mansion. I burned everything and everyone. 

[XP gained +9]

[XP gained +9]

Over and over, 9 XP 9 XP.

And then finally, the message changed. 

[Your Level Has Increased]

My sheet was now

[Race: Human] [Class: Joker] [Level: 19]

[Mind:99] [Body:99] [Soul: 99]

[HP:99][MP:99][SP:99]

Endless Nine.

The building that had trapped me for my entire life was gone, reduced to ash under the power of my cursed flames. But I was lost, I had no idea where to go or what to do, I was alone in a forest somewhere.

So I wandered aimlessly, the rags that I called clothing falling to pieces as I tried to find my way to anything, anyone.

I stumbled through the brush, fell into deep puddles of mud. Broken remains of steel shackles still on my body, around two limbs and my neck, I feel over, exhausted, on the side of a poorly travelled dirt road.

“Oi, stop the cart!” a male voice called out, different from the being that had saved me. He sounded rougher, less calm, but no less kind. “Hey, are you alive, kid? Can you hear me?”

“So hungry…” I said, barely able to stand at this point.

“Hey, she’s alive, come help me!”

5