Tale Of Luck And Muttons
30 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tale Of Luck And Muttons

Enjoy!

Tracking through trail, three children, one girl leading and two following behind, wonder deeper and deeper into unchartered land.

"Ruby are you sure this is safe?" The larger of the two boy ask the girl leading them.

The little girl no older than 13 turn around and said with extreme confidence "don't worry, arn't we, Ron and me Mages and Tom is an Knight!"

"Still Ruby we are so close to the Forbidden Land" Tom who was Ron's big brother ask with uncertainty.

The Forbidden Land was the land of the Demons and for the pass few century no Human, Elf, Dwarf or Beastkin has set foot in The Forbidden Land.

It was uncertain what was happening beyond, but after the war century ago where the Demons tried to conquer Sif, they seem to of have ceased expansion into Sif, still just the thought of provoking another war made every being in Sif step away.

Ofcourse their were still ignorant children, one which was Ruby.

But here they didn't have to worry about going towards The Forbidden Land, because they are traveling away from it. Instead they were heading to a much more dangerous place, The Dungeon or it's more sinister name, The Abyss.

A place where B rank monsters are but ants and chaos echoes through the lands. Loacted between the Sya and Yatta Kingdom, it was known as a place more dangerous than any other, even The Forbidden land.

It was common sense that if give the choice between starting another war with the Demon or start an flood of Monsters from The Dungeon, the answer would always be the former.

Common ranks cannot describe the beast that lays inside The Abyss. Their were once an story of an god that had fallen into The Dungeon and came crawling out with nothing more than his body and single arm, another was a rumor that says the gods used The Dungeon to punish other gods.

If even the gods fear The Abyss, mere mortal would never take a step into The Dungeon. Though even if they wanted too, they can't.

The saying, too much of a good thing is a bad thing, fits the air in and around the Dungeon.

It wasn't the air or anything like that, but Mana.

Mages discover long ago that Humans and every living thing take in Mana directly from the skin, like how insects breathe through their exoskeleton.

Like breathing in an atmosphere that has an overwhelming percent more oxygen than normal, Humans will suffocate. The same logic applies with Mana, take in too much and your Mana Pool or Organ won't beable to contain it, eventually the Magic Crystal within the Magic Organ will teardown so much from the extra Mana that it will stop functioning at some point before letting the organ full of pure Mana and exploding.

If just the Mana seeping from the entrance to The Dungeon were to cause the Magic Organ to combust, it would be devastating when an outbreak of Monster were to occur, if an outbreak happens, it will surely cause the death of millions of people.

Only certain individuals were allowed to enter the forest near the Dungeon, even if it was outside the dungeon, the bountiful Mana being supplied by The Dungeon was enough for the Monsters around to be effected.

Monsters have a unique reaction to Mana thanks to their heart infused Mana Organ that was more efficient and adaptable than the inhabitants of Sifs. They don't suffer the backlash from an overdose of Mana, instead they benefited greatly from a abundant of Mana.

In Sif their was the theory of Mana inspired evolution. The idea was base on mutations and follow the Earth theory of evolution with natural selection and how mutations can create new species.

What were mutations? Error in the DNA? how did that error came to be? Inbreeding? Radiation?

In Sif the Mana theory says Manawas the driving force of evolution. This idea was inspired when an scientists was studying Monster Evolution, which was when a Monster under go a complete change in their genetic code.

The researcher found it odd that these processes occurred faster and more often near areas where Mana is more abundant. Even so Monsters being stronger where more Mana existed was common knowledge in Sif, but the researcher wasn't focused on the facts, but the process behind it.

After years and decades of studies they discovered during the time within the womb, before the fetus can grow any protective skin or muscles, Mana can interfere with the development.

During these time, Mana can slowly interact with the DNA, but still True Mana was formless and couldn't interact with anything on a physical scale.

The only way to convert True Mana into physical forms were through an Magic Crystal, but defying all logic the Mana started to reshape the DNA, giving deformities, but these deformities weren't all bad, in fact it was as if the Mana wants to help create better more effective traits with the DNA as shown that most of deformitions they create were actually helpful adaption that helped the children greatly.

Than the researcher thought, if the more Mana was present wouldn't the DNA become more influential in their work and can create an completely different species in just one or two generations?

So to get the best experiment situation the researcher went to the Elder Dwarfs who were delighted to help out with such an experiment.

Dwarfs were very vigorous with their words and hands but deep down they are the most curious and courageous race in persult of knowledge.

With their help, the researcher picked the most Mana rich place on Sif, The Dungeon.

There for the rest of his life the researcher deducted life he studied Mana and made many breakthroughs but died in the end only touching the tip of the mystery of Mana.

In this dying breathes their was a rumor that has laster till now that the researcher had an enlightenment by an unknown being and was told the truth of the world, this rumor though was never confirmed or denied by the Dwarfs and they show no intention to reveal it to the public.

To today no one expect the Dwarfs that heard it from the researcher themselves and The Elder Dwarfs knows the truth, but no matter how hard people try, whether by force or ask as a favor, they refuse to speak about it which makes many to believe it's just an hoaxes.

That researchers name was Frost Nicklaus, one of the greatest Dwarf researcher to be born, but he was also an Reincarnator from a world called Qwarp, a world where worlds exist within worlds, a unknown and fantastical idea that seems almost outlandish to everyone of Sif.

But this is not the time to talk about another story, now it was Ruby, Ron and Tom's time to shine or rather enlighten themselves with their own truth.

As they were walking Ron stumble on something odd, foot prints, rather large canine paw prints, but they were only one, which was odd behavior from a pack creature, even more odd, it seems to be limping from what Ron could guess from how one of it's back foot barely appears.

Even though an canine the size of whatever made this must of have been at least a few 2 and a half meter tall, in The Dungeon forest that was still insufficient and they should be traveling in packs.

This wasn't how Ron got to know this was strange behavior from the Monster though, for him who didn't know he just stepped into The Dungeon forest an paw this size was alarming.

"Ruby are you sure this is The Forbidden Land?"

"No dummy!" Hearing that from Ruby, Ron froze "we're still outside the Forest! i think"

"Ruby please can you quiet down? Even if this was outside the Forbidden L-" as Tom was about to warn Ruby of alerting unwanted visitors, Ron finally figured it out.

"This isn't the Forbidden Land" he went up an small hill to an tree that was larger than the rest and stood straight like an redwood tree "look this is an small Sky Piercer, one that is just starting to grow, Tom didn't Grandmother always say that only Sky Piercer grow near The Dungeon?"

"Y-your right" Tom even if the bigger brother was never as bright or as talented as Ron in these things and many more. "Ruby we should head back while we still can"

Tom turn back around to see Ruby staring hypnotized into the woodworks. He look at what she must be seeing and than saw it, standing 2 meters tall with green shade coming from it's tail which faded as it come closer to it's pure white head, an wolf like Monster was silently watching them with an cold stare.

Tom couldn't keep his cool and admittedly let out an shriek shaking the forest. Ron quickly turn around to see what the yelling was for but as he does the wolf Monster lunged out from the bushes and towards Tom.

The three weren't unarmed but they were never prepared to fight a real Monster like this one so the two clearly saw no hope in winning. By two i mean only Ron and Ruby, the cowardly Tom only broke out an cry while taking out his small iron sword which was only like a nail to the wolf.

Seeing Tom was about to become meat for wolf, Ruby knocked Tom and herself out of the wolf's way before taking out her wand and yelling "FireBall!"

An mass of red Mana rush down her right arm and into her wands tip before forming an small 5 cm ball of Mana before instantly transforming into an 15 cm big fireball.

Ruby sent the ball flying towards the giant green wolf's face, but her aim was off with the sudden acceleration by the wolf in effort to out run the incoming fireball. It landed on the wolfs body and scorched a layer of fur but no skin could be seen behind the thick green and white fur.

The wolf stop it's charge towards Tom and looked towards Ruby in anger but an sudden yell made it turn "FireBeam!"

When it turn it's head for only it's left eye to greeted by an blinding gray almost white beam that melted it in just an second. It groaned in pain as Ron, the person who did it was thanking his lucky stars a hundred time.

After doing that he shouted at the two below "run!"

He didn't have to say it a second time to Tom as he drop the sword in hand and took off back home. Ruby though, wanted to make sure that wolf couldn't follow them and yelled to Ron.

"Hit the other eye! I'll get the nose!"

"What?! We need to-"

Just than an howl of pain ran out from the injured wolf that sent shivers down the two's spines.

Ruby grid her teeths, wishing that she had more power so she could of have ended it with one shot. She bottled up that regret for another day and let out another "Fireball!" Towards the howling wolfs nose.

Just than the wolf completed the howling and ducked right on time but that wasn't the end of this wave "FireBeam!" Another beam of gray flashed towards the wolfs nose.

It was much larger than tha last shot and evaporate half the wolfs nose, lips and even a part of the skull began to show below the melted skin.

It didn't care about Ruby anymore and turn it's full attention towards Ron seeing him as the biggest threat to him. Unknow to it, that was a huge mistake, Ron was out of Mana from just the two shot of magic and the other was he was extremely lucky.

So when it went for the attack, the wolf surprisingly tripped and it's full body began to row up the small hill Ron was on.

Ron frantic, prayed to every god and quickly ran behind the tree and balled up hoping it would somehow stop the beasts rowling body.

Luckily for him the wolf's huge body couldn't even make it half way up the small hill, maybe it just forgot their was an elevation difference, Ron let out a sigh of relief for being on the higher ground.

As the wolf struggle to get back up Ruby from the other side raise her staff towards the sky and once more cast "Fireball" than an large amount of red Mana escape from every part of her, this time it was different, crimson in color showing how much Mana she had place within it. Another more outstanding part was the size, the ball that sat on top of her was as tall as an fully grown man and held all her Mana combined.

While the wolf was weak, she launched the ball of crimson Mana as hard as she could but moving this much Mana was still something she never attempted and was unequipped and untrained in doing so.

As soon as the large amount of Mana came out from Ruby, the wolf knew it had messed up big time. Sadly it couldn't use it top speed and couldn't even walk properly after that fall so it had to confront the man size Mana come at it.

As the single line of Mana that connected Ruby's wand to her ball despite she shouted to Ron "we need to run after this!"

Ron heard this, peeped out from the tree to see the crimson Mana was turning into an fireball that will dwarfed the wolf's size by a full 5 times. His eyed widened and he wouldn't want to imagine what will happen if he got hit by that, so he didn't.

He started to bolt down the hill as the fireball and wolf was about to collide, but just than an strong gust of air suddenly emitted from the wolfs body followed by an green gas in the air. The gust soon turn to an a gale than to an small hurricane that knocked Ron down and almost blew him away, but whether this is good or not, his left leg got catch between two roots.

Cursing from the feeling of the bone dislocating he usher up his last bit of Mana, which he really just recover and grasps one of the tree roots to use his last bit magic to heat up his palm enought to turn the root to ash. He wasn't able to fully turn the root to ash but it was enough to snap the branch and let him go, sending him rowling down the backside of the hill.

There Scarlet had somehow made it before him and was waiting for Ron, seeing he couldn't stand properly, she slung his arm around her neck and the two hopped away as fast as they could.

Back at the conflict between the fireball and wolf, the wolf had just unleash an hurricane of wind from his body, this was magic which only intelligent monsters could harness.

Inside every Monster was their special circulatory system that uses Mana that had been purified by their Magic Crystal as a substitute for oxygen. It works just as well or sometimes even better than the fuel called oxygen.

Like how insects can grow larger with more oxygen in the air, it was the same for monster in cases with Mana and in this lush forest outside The Dungeon, Mana was as plentuful as can be.

Still, even with abutment amount of Mana it was not certain for an Monster to learn magic, because like humans, magic is only for the esteem animals that has the mind to learn it.

This wolf was one of these esteem beast and would not let two human children best it.

With the blow of smoke and fast wind to carry it, one around can see that the wolf had encapsulated itself within an oval shape green color wind shield that was constantly letting out winds to blow back the flame before it.

And it was working.

At first before the wind could fully builded up it's power, even in it's pre mature form it was still enough to slow the fireball down. When the wind reached it peak, it was enough to start blowing it back.

Just as everything seem to be under it's control, an blade of green wind flew out of the wood and sliced half of the wolf's green tail clean off. It wanted to let out an yell but it had to focus on holding the ball back so it gritted it's fangs and kept the winds blowing.

Than it heard it, the howls of the other wolfs.

The winds changed from towards the fireball which the wolf favored because it gave an little help to pushing it back, to towards it, it knew it couldn't stop it anymore.

All it could do was keep the fire ball faraway long enough until it could burn out.

As green wind carry it towards it, an loud howl that was much deeper and louder than the others shook the forest. It was when that howl ended did the wolf give up and dropped shield around it, leaving nothing to stop the fire ball from burning it to crisp.

*****

Outrun a wolf? Unless they are an knight level Aura user, anyone can give up that thought, but even if they have no hope of escaping with an pack on their tail and an injured person, they still didn't stop moving, even if it's for a sight slimmer of hope, they will still strive for that chance

As an colony of howls echo from behind them, Ruby sped up her speed as Ron struggle to keep up but pushed himself because behind them was what can be consider an super pack.

Walk hopping along, Ron said nervously to Ruby, "i think i know what these wolfs are"

"Than quickly tell me!" She ordered.

"The green sadistic wolfs that that your gandfather aways talks about, the one before seem smaller than what your grandfather said but they both live near The Dungeon and can use wind magic"

"The one that bit his leg off?" Ruby clarified "i thought their was only one of them and grandfather slayed it"

"You clearly weren't listening, he said the one he fought had been just kicked out of it's pack" if Ron had to guess, that wolf also had just experience getting kicked out.

During the small battle and foot prints, he could say that the wolf was heavy injured on it's leg. It would be almost impossible for a compoment Monster like an wolf to randomly trip on itself up an hill.

It was clear as well that it was hungry but still hesitant to attack them, because if it really did wanted to kill them. They would have never been able to get a glimpse of it.

Wind magic, used mainly for fast, easy and dangerous slashes. If the wolf would of have taken them seriously from the beginning, it could of have killed him cleanly with it's magic.

But it didn't, which was extremely lucky for the two.

In truth the best the two can hope for was the pack doesn't find them or those wolf stalled and wasted their time allowing them a chance to escape to find help.

The latter was extremely possible, Ron remember why these wolf are sometimes called The Sadistic Wolfs Of Hell. Their true name was Green Tail Wolf but that was too nice for such a Monster.

Being sadistic was in their nature, seeking entertainment in anyway or shape. One way was highly likely the one the two got involved in.

Entertainment through another's suffering, kicking their own pack member out to struggle without help. Ofcourse the wolf being targeted will reject, but it would be better to not oppose, because when one oppose, they will be injured in someway and be kicked out with a much lowwer chance of survive.

Luckily for Ron and Ruby, the one they met seem to of have put up a big fight and had it's leg broken.

But to survive this encounter would need all the luck in the world and that's exactly what Ron has.

****

Traveling somewhere unknow to them, the two prayed they find someone or better, civilization.

"Iam going to kill Tom when we get back" Ruby held an rather deserving grudge for Ron's elder brother.

Ron was thinking the same, what kind of worthless man would actually leave their younger brother and a girl to fight an Monster?

"Iam going to ask my mother to disown him if we ever get back alive" Ron snickers at the thought.

"Yes, if we ever do get back" they were still unsure, they knew it was unlikely but they cling onto that little hope they have.

After taking hours to cross a few kilometers, their pace has slowed down dramatically.

Due to the fact that an pack of Sadistic Wolfs maybe on their tail, they wanted to keep going throughout the night, but after half an hour in darkness, they realized it would be difficult to travel at night and it would be better if they slept.

What made them more worry was the trail behind them has gone silent, no howls that had gone on for hours at the beginning, further more, their seem to be no creatures or any sign of life ahead.

They lived in a rural area in the frontier, their families were hunters and Ruby's were a small Mage family. They didn't have the luxury to live like those in those lavish city's, everyone, even Ruby's Mage family had to learn to hunt or farm.

So as children of hunters, they knew something had to happened up ahead. Too quiet, devoid of life, it was likely the animals their were driven away by an powerful force.

Whether it was the wolf pack or something else, they didn't want to take the chance in the middle of the night.

What's more, they were starting to become famished from exhausting travel and sleep was begging at their feets. On the topic of feets, Ron's leg kept on spiking in pain with every step, if not for the help of Ruby, he wouldn't have been able to cross a kilometer.

"Ruby let's rest over there" Ron pointed towards an small cave in under the roots of a tree.

"Are you sure? It looks like a prime resting place for a Monster" it really does but Ron was certain it wasn't.

He pointed out the wildly grown grass infront of the place "it's okay, if something did sleep their often, it would leave clear sign, please Ruby, we both need some rest"

"Okay, but as soon as we hear howls or something, we are running"

"For sure, but run isn't exactly an option for me as you can see" he told Ruby tying to lighten up the mood a bit but she doesn't seem to hysterical about it.

They hopped over to the resting ground and Ruby layed Ron down making sure not to bother his leg to much.

As she herself drop down beside Ron with shut her eyes, watching her, Ron asked "why didn't you leave me?" He been wanting to know why she dragged him, a huge burden, more than a few kilometers?

When Ron saw that fireball coming towards him, he thought Ruby had made an last ditch attempt to hinder the wolf and fled, but he never imagained Ruby would flank the wolf to grab him.

Ruby beside him kept her eyes closed and rolled away from him before answering "i thought you wouldn't be injured and since your now my only friend, i can't leave you to die"

Hearing that Ron still felt like an heavy burden which he was and could only say faintly "thank you Ruby, if their is anything i can do to repay you in the future, please tell me"

Their were no reply from Ruby, just silence that separated the two. Ron decided it was a good time to shut up and and go to sleep.

After an few minutes he fell into a deep, much need sleep while Ruby who was still awake grinned happily while she waited to fall asleep as well.

While they sleep, far away on their tail, the wolf they fought dragged it's broken and bloodily body after them.

It's front legs blackened, combined with it's one broken back leg, it was a testament to it's well power to keep on going after suffering such horrific injuries to it's legs.

Though those weren't the worse of it's wounds. Between it's sliced off tail which green colors were the pride of every Green Tail Wolf and it's tattered face that had been melted open and as beat red with exposed flesh twitching in agonizing pain from the slightest wind.

It's beautiful white fur has been roasted away as ash and blood trickle from his skin on every step.

It was an breath away from death, but it still wanted to live so it keeped on following with what little scent it could pick up with it's exposed and caved in nostrils.

It's eyes are destroyed, words cannot describe the anguish and hatred seeping from the wolf. It wanted to kill, to kill the two that has caused it so much of this pain.

Faraway on a cliff, three overlooking shadow watch as figures dashed around the broken wolf. Surrounding, intimating the already weak wolf.

In the middle for the three a figures with cold moonlight eyes watched emotionless. It's boredom leaked out from the gold gaze and so it got up and walked away into the night.

The who figure beside it stopped and quickly follow after it as chicks to ducks.

****

Howwlllllllll!

The howling of an wolf woke Ron to a jump, but on the way up, he hit his springed leg and ended up rolling around in pain hitting Ruby's face in the process. During the night she seem to of have turned to face him and has closed the distance by a few cemetermeter, still Ron was surprised she hasn't woken up before her.

Ruby after receiving an head on head hit, woke up to a abnormal headache and began to open her eyes while rubbing the spot.

"What's the fuss?" She ask unaware of the howl before.

"They are here!" Ron shouted to her.

She look blankly at him before realizing the situation they were in again "where?!" She ask for the direction where it came from.

"Iam sure it's where we came from!" Ron could totally believe those wolfs took an nap before continuing the hunt for them.

A nap? The suns out, that was at least 9 hours of sleep. Are they wait for something or are they really lazy?

As Ron was pondering, Ruby was just happy they could get a nice round of sleep.

With a quarter of her Mana Pool back she was willing to risk going up ahead. She jumped up and held her hand down for Ron to grab "you can't sleep there forever" she pestered him.

"Yea i don't want to die" Ron replyed grabbing her hand and pulling himself onto Ruby to help stand. "Let's head that way" he pointed towards somewhere away from the howl.

"Hm? Should we try to get away from those evil wolf as fast as we can?" She was confused by the face that Ron didn't want to go straight away from them as that was faster.

"You think we can outrun them?" Ron scoffs at that idea "it's best we try to change course at least once, even if it's by a little" maybe they will somehow lose track of them? Ron made a wishful wish.

"Fine, but if you lead us the wrong way, i'll kill you"

"I'll die anyways if i made the wrong choice"

When Ruby was about to say something back, another air shaking howl shook their ears. "I hope your right" she prayed.

*****

3 days, three day of hiking with wolfs on their tail. By now Ron knew something was up about the pack, they weren't attacking them, why?

That question could hold the key to his and Ruby's survival.

As the days pass, hunger was the problem now, since the wolfs seemed unwilling to attack them yet. They need to focuse on getting energy back to have a chance to fight back when the pack began's it's attack.

Water wasn't a problem because they found an river that flowed through the wood thanks to the direction Ron suggested, but if only they knew which one it was they could follow it to get help.

But a river was good news, everyone knew water always flowed south and south is anywhere but The Dungeon. So following the river was still an ideal option and it has supplied them with drinking water for the pass 2 days now.

For how pure it was, it was clear as glass that even Ron could see the large fish swimming in them.

Fish, that was what they had been eating for the whole 3 days. Using Ron's magic which was known for being one of the fastest attacking speed of over all spells, they were easily able to hit an fish.

Hit, but not kill, tying to hit something in the water with his hand was hard, but hitting it a second while it's swarming around was a pain.

These fish, though only 16 cm long, their scales were hard and they were resistant enough where they can have a few centimeter of flesh melted off and they can still keep going.

It was unlikely for Ron to hit the head, evaporated the tail or somehow injure an organ, as long as non of these three happen, these fish are fine to live another day because Ron can't cast spells that fast and he only knows FireBeam.

Ruby's magic was too slow to catch the fast moving fish but she thought of jumping in to grab them only to be reminded they can't risk himself getting hurt or getting sick. So the only thing she could do was use her Mana to create an flame to cook them.

Though the fish was without season and just cooked by fire, was still good. Making Ron think this river flowed down from the Dungeon and that was also proven as the water was fulled with Mana.

Thanks to the fact that everything they could full themselves with was full of Mana, their own Mana Pool has started to grow a bit and the rate of recovery has increased a bit.

Aside from that, their was good news, Ron can start hopping by himself but still needed Ruby's help him go any faster than walking.

While walking down an small rocky bank one of they decided to strike up a conversation "Those wolfs are getting more rowdy by the night" Ruby brought up "maybe it's their mating season" she joked.

"I wish, so they can fuck right off, but their time has ended last season"

"Pity, but Ron, iam luckily you came along with my stupid idea" she gave out an laugh of relief.

"Why did you want to head to the Forbidden Land anyways?" The invitation was just so random, one day Ruby just ask them to go with her to somewhere, only when they agreeded and was already far away from the village did she tell them she was going to The Forbidden Land, if only they were.

Ruby looked away embarrassed but answers "i wanted to see who would be a good Familial form my Family"

"F-Familial?!" Family was a term referred to an household or family, for every human male, being in a Family was an dream.

In Sif, only females can create their own Family and in these Family, they can recruit males to be an Guardian, Familial or Lover.

Familial's are members of a Family that serves the Head and only the nobles who has many followers would actually beable to assigne Familal's.

These Familial have no power within the house and only work to fulfill their Head's wishes like servents. Still both side beneficial Familial-Family relationships only work with nobles or powerful Family's since even if Familial's don't have power within the Family, they can still use the Family's name which can hold influential power.

Where Familial can consist of both male and females, Guardian's and Lover's are for males only.

A Guardian is a special position granted to a male that join where the Head has knowledge a man's power and is given a special job as bodyguards, advisers or for more powerful Family, a War Chief.

Lover's doesn't need an explanation.

"Ofcourse you won't be chosen as my Familial" Ruby said with a smug smile.

"T-than" hearing that, Ron question the meaning behind this journey aside from life and death. "W-why?"

"Hehehe" Ruby giggles and doesn't say anymore and kept on walking, dragging a dejected Ron behind her.

As the day go on, the wolfs began to become more aggressive, Ruby being able to spot some in the distance as their howl carried excitement in the air.

Ron and Ruby both agreed that is wasn't an good idea to sleep tonight with such an restless and encroaching pack so close.

As night was settling in, they could hear the fast foot steps of the wolfs behind and so they hurried their paces down the river.

"Should we burn the forest down?!" Ruby who was running with Ron on her back ask him.

"Burn the forest?! That's just buy us 5 minutes at most! Than they will be really aggressive at attack us when they catch up!" He saw how that exiled wolf could take Ruby's fireball with only a small burn as an result.

An enhanced fire made from Mana from Ruby could do so little to them, what can an normal forest fire do? Intimidate?

"We'll do that if their is no other choice" Ron said, "but for now, we don't need to cause a battle, let them watch, it'll give us a chance" a chance, he keeps saying that but do they really have a chance?

A normal village can never take on even 5 of these Green Tail Wolf, let alone a super pack like the one behind. The would need to stimble upon a city which none aside from the one months away and even worse, no one want to save two kids just to anger an pack of these sadistic wolfs.

Just than, wind of green in the form of an blade cut right infront of them making Ruby stop in her track.

It was time, both of them knew it, with the wolf pack being this close and from where that came from, they have been surrounded.

They had to fight, that was the only way.

Around them it started, the nice, quiet air started to shake as more and more howl's began to ring up. From behind, infront, everywhere, but all out of sight as if they were just there to spectate and keep them in.

Ron cursed and looked back to face the incoming pack.

Just than, an shadow under the moonlight loomed from a small hill with the moon resting behind it.

One, no three wolfs walked to the top.

The one in the middle was by far bigger than anything Ron could was a wolf. Standing over 3 and a half metter tall, an Monster amongst Monster had appeared, leading the pack.

When it reached the top of the hill over looking them, it didn't do anything, it just stared at them with it's moonlight color eyes, unmoved and amonst uninterested.

It's figure almost look beautiful or majestic but know it was likely the alpha of the Green Tail Wolf made it all so horrifying.

The alpha examined Ron and Ruby before laying down inbetween it's two guard who had their tails wagging showing the excitement not shared by their leader.

Ron grid his shaking teeth an open his mouth "why?" He ask, "why are you doing this?"

"Ron what are yo-" Ruby couldn't understand why Ron wanted to try talking his way out with wolfs.

"Shut up Ruby" he whispered "Green Tail Wolf has to be intelligent to use magic, it can probably under stand human speaks"

As he was telling Ruby this, an slow flowing wind of green flowed near them, carrying an voice.

"Talk is futile Human"

"S-so you wolfs can talk" if Ron didn't hold onto his pride and wasn't on the back of Ruby, he would of have pissed himself from the bone chilling voice.

"Wolfs?" the green wind snapped "inconsiderate Human!"

Before the three on the hill, the one on the left almost jumped for them, but the leader held it's tail, causing the angered wolf to keel back.

So it was that wolf, Ron noted, if only an subordinate could speech through magic, what can that one do?

Just than, an small tap hit Ron and Ruby's forehead and another voice echoed inside their head.

(Finish the hunt, if you do, i won't kill you)

For sure they knew this was the leader, telepathic communication was staple amongst higher Rank monsters.

"The hunt?" Ruby ask, complete the hunt?

Their was no reply, instead their was an ferrous growy from the forest as an wolf step out. It's faced and half it's front, dyed in black and red.

Naked of fur, it lumps out towards Ron and Ruby, into the open and under the moon light, the broken wolf stood. Surprisingly even with such broken appearance, the two, even if the wound were unrecognizable to them, still can tell it was that very first wolf that started it all.

As it step out onto the bank another tap on the head hit them.

(start)

Saying that Ron yelled "dodge!" As the broken wolf formed a blade of wind to cut them.

Luckily Ruby ducked right and dropped Ron to take out her wand.

As she does, another wind blade came from the wolf. She nearly dodged it while Ron didn't need to.

Ron raise his palm and shouted "FireBeam!" The palm glowed gray before shooting out an laser that hit the shoulder of the wolf. Unlike when it had it's magic resistant fur, the beam melted through it's flesh until it hit the white bone underneath.

The wolf let out an strange sound of agony which was because some of it's windpipe was still attached but was exposed to the elements and anything that touched the front half, including even wind passing through or around it caused pain to shiver through the wolf.

It was tying to hold back it's howl because that will only cause it more pain, but it failed and almost damaged it's last lifeline from the howl.

This was how bad it's body was, able to tear itself apart just from a simple howl.

As pain ran through it's body, it let out an wave of wind all around it like before, but it was weak, so weak one could believe this was only an change in wind currents.

"Fir-" when Ruby was about to fire an fireball, Ron stopped her.

"Save it!" He shouted and chanted his only spell again. This time it landed right below the shoulder where the leg connected to the body.

When it evaporated the flesh the wolf couldn't hold it's balance and toppled down letting go of the wind.

Ruby grinned happily and raised her wand and shouted "FireLance!"

An pour of red Mana shot out of the wands tip and formed an gasily shape of an lance. Mortifying into fire from the tip, it travels down to the wand burning the tip as she swiped the wand away to snap the Mana line that connect her to it.

When it snapped, the lance lunched fowards like an arrow and skewered through the wolfs mouth and into it's chest. Than the lance exploded creating an hole on the wolfs head and destroyed it's Magic Crystal at once, for sure killing it.

Letting out a breathe of relief, Ron looked up at the alpha who didn't change it's expression in anyway, only getting up and slowly walking away.

Allowing Ron and Ruby to relaxe.

But that brief bit of happiness was stripped when an blow of green fog blew around them, carrying the voices of hundreds of wolfs.

"Bored!"

"Flesh!"

"Boring"

"More!"

"Blood!"

"Hungry!"

From the fog, wolfs that were 2.5 meters tall or taller and more in shape compared to the one before, stepped out like crows to claim their prey.

They circle around Ron and Ruby licking their dagger like teeth as drool drip down from their smiling mouth.

"You said you were going to let us go!" Ruby shouted after the alpha.

"I knew these fucking wolfs are cunning!" Ron cursed "it said 'i'! Not we, shit!"

Laughter echoed from all around them, fear gripped their soul, but than an object blew through the smog and created a crater right next to Ron.

As the dust cleared an axe could be seen cutting into the ground.

Help?! Ruby though looking to where it came from.

A figure small in size jumped into the faze, landing where the axe stood. It's pure white hair, an body that was no taller than 1 and a half meter.

An dwarf.

He showed no fear and made everything including the wolfs, go silent.

Walking over to the axe which was more than half it's high and pulled it out with ease looking back to Ron and Ruby before clicking  his tongue.

"I thought these good of nothing muttons were making an ruckus, but i didn't expect two brats to of have joined them"

"W-who are you?" Ruby muster out that question to their savior?

"You Human brats don't know me, but iam Galner! Heard of that name?!"

"Galner?" The two never heard of a name like that, so they thought it maybe an famous name in Dwarven country.

The butt of the axe rammed itself into Ruby's forehead by Galner who yelled "maybe the title Hands of God will ring a bell!"

Ron still shook his head, but to ruby it sounded like an prestigious title so Ruby pretended that she knew that name. "Reall-?!"

When she did, the end of the handle hit her forehead again "don't try to lie to me you little shits! If you don't know, for forsake, don't act like you fucking do!"

"S-sorry!" Ruby cried "b-but mister, c-can you help us?"

The Dwarf sigh got his axe ready "It's gonna be like the good old days ha?" He turn around and pointed his axe towards an figure watching from the fog.

Ron couldn't distinguish the figure from all the other shadow looming around but as soon as it stood up, he admittedly knew it was the alpha.

Wind burst from the alpha clearing the fog surrounding it, revealing it's huge smile.

Carried in the wind was it's voice "little man you have interfered for the last time!" Even through it's words make it sound like it's angry, it sounded rather excited, enthusiastic about the Dwarf appearing.

Under the alpha's feet an gale of wind covered it and when it kicked off to attack, the wind under it exploded and shot it forward at high speed.

It covered the distance between them which was about 80 meters in a second and was ready to devour the dwarf.

As it open it's mouth, the blut side of the axe slammed into it's cheek knocking it away. The damage received was minimal thinks to it's fur and only dislocated the alpha's jaw which it easily fix by moving it around until it popped back in place.

"As impressive as ever, Little man" the alpha growled at Galner.

"And you haven't changed a day, Bark" he returned.

"My name is not Bark! It's Yogain!" The alpha let out a howl making it's pack howl along with it.

Galner hurriedly picked up Ron and Ruby in his arms and jumped 15m into the air as an wave of sharp wind blades cuts through the fog from every direction colliding where Galner once stood.

"Are you sure?!" Galner laugh landing with unknown force that broke the earth beneath and upearth boulders which blocked all of the incoming wind blades "because all ya'll do is bark!"

With boulders surrounding them making it hard for any wolf to use magic to break through, Galner drop the two and jumped onto a boulder and skipped towards the wolf. Using the boulders to move and dodge pass the winds, Galner jumped off the last one before the alpha.

With Galner ready to strike it, the wolf stood it's ground and let out an deafening howl that released an hurricane from within.

Seeing the small hurricane coming towards him, Galner grinned and with his axe, sliced the hurricane in half and on the way and cut the tip of the apha's jaw.

The alpha jumped back frightened and in pain. That breathe of wind was it's trump card that it was saving, to it's knowledge nothing outside the Dungeon can take it's hit unscathed or even cut the magic in half.

Galner smiled noticing the alpha's confusion and calmly told it "what, never heard of gold?"

Gold was know as the best anti magic material because of it's high magic resistance property's.

If you wanted to fight an Mage or high ranking Monster, you have to have an weapon with some bit of gold or you can't break spells or push through defenses.

Even though the axe displayed no gold, inside, a thin gold rod ran through the handle and into the tip of the blade.

Within the Dungeon, their were said to be a vain of gold somewhere, but outside the Dungeon, no gold has been found so the likely hood of Monster in that area to know of gold was low.

No one in the right mind would walk near the Dungeon with valuable such as gold so the wolfs could never get their hands on some and discover the unique properties of gold. Though there is gold in the Dungeon, the Wolfs were to weak to even try and get a glimpse of it.

In the end they were ignorant of what gold is and it's anti magic properties which made it the best weapon to land a surprise hit on magic reliant monsters like the wolfs.

Panicking because of it's injuries, it sent out an telepathic message to all the wolfs (retreat!) Before starting to condense wind beneath it's feet.

"Oh no you don't!" Saying that, Galner threw his axe causing the alpha to jump back in fear.

But as the axe was traveling extremely fast and the alpha's only jumping backwards slowly and a meter so the axe instead impaled itself into the wolfs chest likely hitting it's lungs, at worst, it's Magic Crystal.

As the wolf landed the axe fell from it's chest but even with a fatal injury from the axe, it stood there.

Ron thought it was going to take the chance to attack Galner now that he's unarmed, but the wolf just dropped dead.

"D-did you hit it's Magic Crystal?" Ron ask Galner.

"Ofcourse! Even though my arms are old and rusty, i still got it in me!" Galner proudly boasted

Now that the fog has been dispelled the moon light shines on Galner who stood heroically on the dead alpha's snout with an smile that the two will remember for 100's of years.


*Notes:

-Green Tail Wolf

Rank- C

Intelligence- 6.0/10 (note if a human would be messured by this, it would be 7.2, elfs 6.8 and dwarfs 7.9, these are the average which can vary from one to another)

Defense- 4.1/10 

Offence- 4.7/10

Speed- 6.3/10

Magic- 2.4, Type: Wind (Type refers to most offen used and associated with them)

Sociablely- low (I don't think i've said this, but Sociablely refers to human-monster interaction)

Colony Rank- B-

Know for living on the edge of The dungeon, it's sadistic and prideful natural gained it the nickname of Sadistic Wolfs.

Though they are highly intelligent for monsters even inside the dungeon, their limit is on the borders of the dungeon.

They hunt within packs of 5 but lives in groups of 20 or more. During these hunts, they cast an green mist and use their speed and howls to confuse their pray.

Their sadistic nature said to stem from lack of entertainment with living near the dungeon. Never being able to go deeper into the dungeon because of the jump in rank between monster.

Going outside their range also never give them to satisfaction because their power as packs are to much. That's why they will sometime watch an sole wolf strike out, because they find it more exciting to watch an battle than a one sided one.

-Green Moonlight Wolf

Rank- C+

Intelligence- 6.7/10

Defense- 4.8/10 

Offence- 5.2/10

Speed- 6.7/10

Magic- 5.9, Type: Wind/Physic

Sociablely- low

Colony Rank- D+

The evolve form of the green tail wolf. Keeping it's sadistic nature, it's pride and power grows.

An enlighten wolf that has learned the true power of magic and imagination.

They isolates themselves from normal green tail wolfs and develop an superiority complex, driving them to use their new knowledge to grow their magic.

Family- A collective group of close members, blood related or not, that bind under an sole woman, call The Head.

For a group to be considered an Family, a group has to at least have two aura user or mage. 

Their are 4 ranks within a family, Familial, Guardian, Lover and The Head.

Family Head- The woman who is the leader and calls all the shots.

Every woman can by a Family Head but in most case for commoner, it's usually unfeasible.

This is because it's hard to gain an aura user or mage unless they are appealing or an aura user or mage themselves.

Lovers- Concubines of the head, usually made up of, mages, true lovers and powerful Guardians.

Guardians- Males that's powers and skills are acknowledge by the head and are elevated from normal ranks.

Most of these are Aura user since most mages, the head would rather have them as lovers.

As a family gains for power, the role of guardians gains more importance Where some are commander of 100's or generals of an small or large army.

It's said this is the most prized position for man, even above Lover's when talking about larger and more powerful family's.

Familial- The lowest class where they are servents and hold little power within the household.

Familial's are gain from vows of loyalty or active recruitment.

Ps.

I want to do more notes for The Mana Evolution Theory and Dungeon but by phone's lagging from typing again.

If you have any question, please ask and i will try to respond.

Good bye and see you next week for chapter 4 part 2.


0