Chapter 16
382 7 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*du-dunk* *du-dunk*...

Today was the first day of school for Eliza and her brother Tom. Right now they were on their way to Moneta Central School. This school was the best in the whole Nauda. MCS  had high standards, everyone could get in but only those that show good results or pay a large sum could stay.

In this world, most schools use a system that is similar to the system back on Earth, in the sense that the school is eight months and then has a three-month break. But this world system is better because here you don't get punished for not attending lessons. Here you are responsible for yourself, there is no homework or assignments. Only monthly exam, but if you do badly on the exam you can get expelled. Of course, different schools have different difficulty levels, but MCS is the most highly regarded in Nauda so the standard is high.

Only if you put effort you can stay. Of course, there are exceptions, if your family is really rich they can pay for your stay. This is Nauda where merchants are the main power, so of course, every school in this country has some amount you can pay to get your child to stay for another month if he fails the exam.

MCS is the best school so only a few can afford the amount you would need to stay after failing an exam. The school was named Moneta Central School because the capital of Nauda is named Moneta so that's where the name came from.

One thing that surprised Lucie a little bit, was that in this world the same as Earth, school starts in the 9th month. In Abura there are no month names like September or July, they are named by their turn in the year. But still, the new year is after the first month of winter.

So right now they were driving to MCS. Lucie and her team were in a limousine with the twins, the only other person with them was the driver.

The limousine was spacious, they had a table in the middle, and around the table were soft, couch-like seats, in the shape of U. There was a cabinet full of snacks and a mini-fridge full of different kinds of drinks.

 Twins looked excited, and a little nervous. Lucie could understand them, after all, the first day of school is a big thing for many. 

Well except for the twins who were full of emotions and kept looking out of the window, others were just doing what they wanted, after all the ride wasn't short.

Mara was eating cookies, which she got from the snack cabinet while watching something on her phone. Emma was playing with water, making different kinds of shapes and animals, with it. Aurora was doing something on her phone. And Lucie was *pew* *pew* playing her favorite game.

It didn't take too long before they arrived at their destination. When the limousine stopped the driver opened the door for them, the first to step out were the twins and then Lucie, Emma, Aurora, and Mara, in that order. 

The first thing they saw was the big open gates. After the gates, there was a nice garden with different kinds of plants and trees, and in the middle of it was a nice looking fountain decorated with engravings. After the garden, there was a huge building, and it wrapped around the garden in a crescent shape. 

''Fancy.'' Lucie was impressed, after all this was the best school in Nauda so she had some expectations but this even surpassed them.

Lucie and the others weren't the only ones looking at the school with mouths wide open, there were other people similar to them, frozen in front of the gates looking at the spectacular with shock and excitement. 

''We should go.'' The first to break the silence was Emma, and others agreed with her.

''Well, then we will be going.'' Lucie said that and went left with Aurora, ''Then let's go,'' while Mara, Emma, and the twins went through the gates and straight for the school's building.

This school had a policy where only one servant/guard was allowed per person, so only two of them could enter the school's building with the twins. Normally schools didn't have this kind of policy where servants could follow someone in the school building without themselves attending the school. But MCS was an exception.

So Lucie and Aurora will be waiting outside the school's ground while Emma and Mara accompany the twins.

*******

Eliza and Tom were now sitting in one of the classrooms. In this lecture, if you can call it that, they will be introduced to their class teacher and the school's rules. This class has twenty-four students in total, twelve boys and twelve girls evenly split.  The seats were placed so that every row was higher than the next if looked from the stage, there were four rows, and at every row were three long tables, and at every table were two seats. Tom and Eliza both were sitting in the third row and at the far right table. 

''...By the way, who do you think will be our class teacher.''

''I hope it's someone good-looking.''

''I don't really care how they look, all I hope is that they are good at their job.''

''Me too, I prefer ability, over looks.''

''Well, I...''

Eliza and Tom could hear some of their classmates talking to each other, mostly about what kind of teacher would be responsible for them. The twins had their own thought about what kind of teacher they want, but in the end, it wasn't for them to decide. One thing was for sure, that the teacher would have good skills in his field, after all, MCS has high standards, and top teachers to accompany that.

As the talk about their teacher and their new school life got more heated and as more of the students got excited in this class,*tunk* they heard the door close. As one, the students took their seats and the classroom went from bustling and talking, to total silence.

''Now then, looks like everyone is seated. Then I will introduce myself, I'm Mr. Rofd.'' On the stage was presumably their class teacher. He looked like he was in his thirties, from a normal person's perspective. He had dark brown hair with deep green eyes, with lean built, and a small beard with a mustache.

''You can call me, Mr. Rofd, teacher Rofd or professor Rofd, whichever you like the best. Now why I'm not telling my full name, is because in a month there is a possibility that some of you will be gone.'' He said that while writing 'Mr. Rofd' on the board. Everyone was fully paying attention to what he said, and even though some may not like it, but every year after the first month there are many who don't pass the exam. So no one complained and continued listening to what he had to say while staying quiet.

''Now, I will introduce how things happen in this school. First, as you may already know there are exams at the end of every month, these exams will be composed of multiple tests. One of the tests that everyone has to take is the writing test, in this test you will have to answer questions from multiple subjects. Like language and mathematics for example. But here's where the interesting part comes in. You can change your writing test. Some may be confused about how that works, but it's pretty simple, that means that you can choose which subject goes in your test.''

''For example, you can change the language to history, that means instead of language questions you will have questions about history. But the test needs questions from at least five different subjects, and if you have more than five that will give you bonus points, of course, if you can answer those questions.''

''The writing test is the only mandatory test you need to take, all the other tests will give you bonus points. One of them is a physical test, there the school will test how good is your control over your abilities. There are some more than these two but, if you want you can check that yourself later. Another thing that will give you bonus points is, some activities outside the school, some of them can give pretty big bonuses, so I recommend you to check out that too.''

''Of course, if your family is rich enough, you can just ignore all that, and just pay the needed amount every month, after all, merchants let the money speak.''

Mr. Rofd explained to them how the test works and some ways they can get bonus points, all the while the students were fully concentrating on what he was saying, some even didn't blink.

''Next, in this school, you're prohibited from using your powers to harm another student, of course, if you want to fight or just spar there are specially made arenas for that. Those arenas are equipped with needed tools so that none of the lives are endangered...'' He continued to talk about rules, what can be done, and what not. One of the things that happens if you break these rules is that some of the points for your next exam are deducted.

''Now if some of you have questions I'll be here, but if not you're free to explore the school as today you're mostly free, except for the ceremony. I wouldn't recommend missing that. Now I have told you everything I need, so I hope all of you will be here, after the first month.'' 

*Dink* As their class teacher said the last line, Eliza and Tom both found something has been sent to their phones.

''All of you just received the needed information about this school. The building layout, the activities where you can get the bonus points, and all the rules that you should follow. Have a great day.''

 

11