Chapter 25: A Rare Meeting
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ryzen POV

These days, I found myself hanging out more with Zaynah, my sister. It didn't take long before we developed a friendship with each other but now, we've been much closer than just just friendly colleagues.

While walking with her around our university campus, I saw a familiar figure walking pass the research building.

Wearing a formal polo shirt, even with just his back, there were traces of muscles etched in it. You can tell just from his back that he has a good body built and has been exercising. As a doctor, I certainly have a good eye when discerning body structures...

Fortunately. he was alone. Well, even if he wasn't, I'm sure I'd still call him out.

"Lennox!" I shouted shamelessly while waving.

I walked up towards him while Zaynah had no choice but to follow me.

"Wow, it's such a rare day today. We go to the same university, but I never see you at the campus!" I said cheerfully.

Even though I mainly picked this university for the sake of having the chance to encounter him, I now only realise that it was a futile decision. Since our campus is so big, it's really rare for us to see each other, especially since we don't belong in the same department.

However, I don't really regret my choice in picking this university since it would be boring to choose the same medical school that I went to in my original life, right? Besides, this was the university that my father used to work for so I feel some kind of unexplained attachment to it.

Most importantly, because of picking this university, I got the chance to reconnect with my sister even though my soul is in a different body.

Amidst all this, I'm actually satisfied enough with my mission progress since I do get to see Lennox a lot of times by being a volunteer at La Coron City's city hall. It's already a big progress for me to have occasional meals with him. It's so unlike before, where we'd just talk for five minutes or so over the pastries I'd bring for him.

I'd hate to admit it but it was pretty embarrassing to bring those pastries all the time just to talk to him for a short while. It's really painful to be the one courting instead! I now understand what guys feel when they're pursuing someone.

It's like my karma for rejecting and ghosting guys in my original life...

"Indeed. Are you finished with your class?" he asked.

I pouted at him and replied, "Not yet. We have another one in the late afternoon. But it's our free time now so we're roaming around the campus."

He slightly nodded at me and gave a polite smile.

"I see. Have you had lunch? I have free time before I leave to do a project inspection." Lennox said formally.

Yes! Another opportunity! He's also initiating again! My efforts are all worth it!

"Sure!" I nodded without hesitation.

But at that moment, I realised that Zaynah was still next to me.

I'm sorry, sis! I realised that I was being rude. I've totally ignored Zaynah...

"By the way, Lennox, this is Zaynah Ferrada. She's also studying medicine like me. Zay, this is Lennox Zevallos, mayor of La Coron City." I said with a smile.

Lennox politely smiled at Zaynah and stretched out his hand for a handshake.

"Lennox Zevallos." he said with his deep voice.

Really, Lennox is born to be a public servant. He has a natural, polite smile that would make one feel that it's truly genuine. He's always formal but charms people naturally with the charismatic aura he has around him.

Zaynah quickly took his handshake and gave him a small smile in return.

"It's an honour to meet you, mayor. I've heard a lot about the good governance you have done for your city." Zaynah replied.

"It's nothing to be thankful for. I am flattered but I am simply doing my job." Lennox replied in a formal manner.

Tss. Such humility. No wonder he stands out among the other politicians I know.

During instances where Millen Yu's grandfather, Zeus Costales, would occasionally bring me to formal events, I'd get introduced to a bunch of politicians. However, just from their sinister smiles and the topics they talk about, I could clearly tell that their heart is really not into public service. Rather, it seems like all they covet for is fame and self-interest.

They'd all boast with each other, make passive-aggressive remarks and put on hypocrite acts. Now that I think about it more, the more it stresses me out.

I never used to think much of politics but after mingling around the city hall and getting to know what Lennox really does, I've finally had the interest to at least care about how the governance of a country really impacts everything.

Now that I think about it, I was being ignorant before since I was somehow already privileged. In my original life, my family had the means for me to be able to complete a medical course. I also never had to worry about shelter, clothing or anything, really. That's why I never bothered to have interest in things such as politics.

But now, I realise that it is a citizen's duty to care about the country's politics. Or at least, understand how much politics affects the whole country.

People have to realise that the power to elect leaders relies on them and they do have the power to be able to implement a proper change in the country. All they have to do is to think critically and discern who are the ones that this country really needs.

It's fortunate that the people of La Coron City knew who they needed and they elected Lennox. I heard it was a tough battle since his opponent was someone from a political dynasty and they were using underhanded tricks on him, such as threatening his supporters and using vote buying to bribe people.

I could only hope that someday, it would happen to the rest of the country too.

I didn't realise I was lost in my thoughts until I felt Zaynah pat my shoulder softly.

"Millen? Have you heard what I said?" she asked softly.

"Huh?" I unknowingly let out.

She let out a short chuckle before saying, "I said, I'm going to have to re-read lectures first. I'm not like you who can ace the test right away. I can't join you and Mayor Lennox, so enjoy your lunch!"

Well... since I've basically done this course in my previous life, I have to admit it was pretty easy for me. I only have to re-read regularly but the knowledge is pretty much ingrained within me.

I'm thankful that Zaynah is unknowingly giving me the opportunity to progress more on my mission but I feel guilty... I promised her that after our walk, I'd treat her for lunch then help her with things she doesn't understand.

Well, knowing Lennox's busy schedule, we'd probably only have a quick lunch but still...

"You sure?" I asked Zaynah.

"Yep! Enjoy, Millen and Mayor Lennox!" she said in a somewhat taunting voice before walking away completely.

The mischievous face she had before she left... that's her face whenever she's playing tricks on me. It seems like there was a hint of teasing in her voice.

I smiled at her disappearing figure before I turned to Lennox.

"Okay, let's go, Lennox! Since you're with me today, I'd make sure you're going to eat lunch properly!" I said to him warmly.

"If you insist." he replied softly.

0