Chapter 10: The First Day
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

On the other side of the estate, a certain duke was supposedly inspecting something but cannot help but look at the horizon opposite him.

He recognised his son riding a horse, probably having his horse-riding lessons as usual. However, aside from his son's instructor, there seems to be another figure there.

Luke tried his hardest to not look at the woman's figure, but he was automatically drawn, as if he was hypnotised.

The next thing he knew, his eyes were just glued to that woman's figure. He observed how the woman wiped the little bits of sweat from his son's face. Then, after talking about something, they both laughed and she even patted the little boy's head.

Luke did not know why, but his heart suddenly felt warm after witnessing such a scene.

'That woman... how can my little son favour her so much in just a short amount of time?' he mused.

After staring a little more, Luke felt like he really could not take the scenery that he was witnessing. As ridiculous as it sounds, he could not help but also think that if the person in his mind was actually alive, it would exactly be like the scene right now.

But he must be out of his mind, right? He has to stop imagining a total stranger as that certain someone.

'Stupid.' he secretly cursed himself.

If he were to be honest with himself, there was a faint hope from his heart that they were the same person, even though his much rational mind went against it.

It was simply too impossible. After all, he personally witnessed that certain someone's last moment.

Besides, after neglecting for a long time, Luke finally had the courage to look over the reports that Hamish sent to him about that woman.

No matter how much he resisted, he had lost to his curiosity and irrational desire to know more about that woman.

As he looked at the reports, the faint hope in his heart disappeared completely. They may look the same, but everything else is really different.

First, the woman that they recruited as a nanny was younger than the certain someone he has in his heart. Then, that woman was also born and raised in the Philippines and the only country she has travelled outside of that is Britain...

Just from that alone, it was too unlikely that they are the same person. The certain person he knew of has never been to the Philippines or Britain.

As Luke thought about it, perhaps the reason why he was able to cope living in Britain was exactly because of that. There were no memories of that certain someone here.

If there were, then everything about his surroundings would automatically remind him of that certain someone and he probably would not completely function at all. If he was just grieving and could not think properly, then how can he stand up for his son, right?

But with the situation right now... Luke felt that things kind of changed.

There is now something in Britain reminding him of that certain someone, because of how uncanny they look alike.

Luke did not make it that obvious, but it has been a while since he stopped listening to whatever his employee was saying about the maintenance of the estate.

"Let's cut it short for today. I have something I must attend to." he cut off the employee.

***

Dalena somehow found herself in a good conversation with Little George's horse riding instructor, Max. He taught her a little bit of background about horse riding and told her about Little George's progress in his lessons.

"The Young Master probably started learning when he was around 4. He was a brave and curious child, but mostly quiet. But today, I never thought that he could be so energetic. Personally, I think it is because of your presence." he murmured.

Dalena felt flattered, so a slightly curved smile was plastered on her face. But like Hamish have taught her, even though her working relationship with the Young Master was bound to be intimate, there should be boundaries as well. After all, she was getting paid to care for him, even if her actions are genuine.

"Maybe now, at the Young Master's age, he is slowly discovering himself and just opening up a little more." Dalena replied.

Max smiled back at Dalena and opened his mouth to say something, but stopped immediately when he spotted a figure behind Dalena.

"Good afternoon, Your Grace." Max bowed slightly, greeting Luke.

Luke nodded at his greeting as he stepped forward so he was not behind Dalena. With that, Dalena was able to see the Duke fully.

Even though the Duke's name was mentioned a lot of times to her, it is only her second time seeing him.

'This person... 'Your Grace' is what he should be addressed at all times, huh? It is so fancy.' Dalena pondered.

Looking at the Duke closely, it automatically reminded Dalena of the weird rule at the employment contract she was given that clearly stated that she was forbidden to fall in love him. 

Truthfully, when Dalena saw him, she barely noticed his looks at all because she was pressured by how much he was staring at her. In short, she was too nervous to examine.

But now, she was able to look at him a little more closely because of the less distance. For most part, she does acknowledge that the Duke is quite attractive.

The man had the exact same features as his son, Little George, just except for their hair colours. Dalena always thought that Little George was already handsome at his mere age, but looking at his father now, there is really no doubt about his looks because he got it all from him.

'Now that I think about it though, where is George's mother? He most likely got his black hair colour from his mother instead of inheriting his father's light blond hair, hmm.'

Dalena briefly remembered asking Hamish about George's mother during the orientation process, but to her surprise, Hamish gave her a cold look and a warning. He told her to never mention George's mother in the estate and stop being curious about it. He reminded her that she was only there to work and they are not supposed to know about their masters' personal affairs.

For Dalena, that warning was enough. She was a compliant person and wouldn't dare to do anything stupid that would destroy her dreams.

But since it is human nature to gossip, especially among employees who serve their boss, Dalena could not blame herself for being curious either.

Suddenly, there was a light bulb that appeared over Dalena's mind. Looking at the Duke, the other nannies probably fell for him because of his bewitching looks and of course, filthy money on top of that.

Well, before the Duke appeared, Dalena thought that Max was already quite tall. But when the Duke made his presence known, Max seemed like a squirrel. Compared to him, the Duke was much taller and had an unexplainable aura around him. It was like you could tell right away that the Duke was not just from a simple background.

Unlike the other girls though, Dalena knew her place. Dalena was self-aware and knew that coveting for a man like the Duke would be like coveting for the Gods. It is that far-fetched that even in her dreams, she wouldn't dare to.   

"You've been staring at me for quite a while now. Is there something wrong? I believe we have met and you are Little George's new nanny, am I correct?" Luke suddenly spoke up.

When the Duke spoke, Dalena stopped all her thoughts at once and flushed a little.

Was she really staring for that long? But it can't be, just now, if she remembers right, it was also the Duke who was staring at her for very long.

Dalena felt a little aggrieved, but answered quickly.

"I apologise, Your Grace. It is nice to meet you. I am Dalena, the Young Master's new nanny."

Luke coolly nodded at her.

"Okay. I believe you have access to Hamish's contact so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach him."

"I understand, Your Grace."

After Dalena answered, there was kind of an awkward silence, since Luke did not talk and the employees, Max and Dalena, did not have courage to talk first as well.

Perhaps, it was inappropriate to talk because of their boss-employee relationship? Or perhaps, Luke's aura was just too intimidating? Either way, Dalena could not tell.

Thankfully, the silence was broken when Little George finally finished walking a track and put his horse near where they were.

"Papa!" he greeted rather loudly.

Luke smiled at his son and went near him to help him get down from his large horse.

"You're done for today, right?" Luke asked in a gentle tone.

Little George nodded excitedly. Even though it was not the first time that his papa had visited him while he was having his horse-riding lessons, it was certainly rare. After all, his papa was a busy person.

So for him to surprise him like this, it meant a lot for the little kid.

"Then, do you want to go have lunch together at your favourite restaurant?"

At that moment, George's eyes seemed to have shined like stars.

"At Le Mur? Yes please, Papa! Are they open again?"

Luke chuckled at his son's reaction and patted the little boy's head a little.

"Yes. Let's go?" Luke asked, offering his hand to him.

Little George nodded and immediately took Luke's hand as they walked away.

As for Dalena, she was having a dilemma. She had thought that after George had his horse-riding lessons, he would have lunch and she would just supervise him.

But with the Duke's sudden appearance, Dalena was unsure whether she was to follow them or not. It was said that she is to stick with George at all times, but what if the Duke is around?

Isn't that their bonding time or whatever, as father and son?

Even though she knew that Max probably wouldn't know, she didn't want to just nothing. But before she could even ask him, the Duke looked back at their direction and looked at her directly in her eyes.

"Miss, why are you standing there for? You're supposed to come with us."

2