Chapter 1: A Sad Start
35 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: A Sad Start

 

“We messed up!”

 

The blinding light slowly faded from Michael’s eyes. What the hell?! Where am I?

 

“Agh!”

 

“Son of a bitch!”

 

“Am I blind?! Please say I’m not blind!”

 

“I think I peed a little…”

 

His classmates voiced their thoughts aloud, blatantly showing their confusion. All lay on the floor, their hands covering their disturbed eyes. They slowly came to, observing the clean marble floor, save for Richard’s “accident.”

 

A man in a lab coat strode across the room, the sudden movement catching Michael’s eye. He approached a rather fancy looking man, adorned in a long, gold robe decorated with golden roses. His golden blonde hair camouflaged with the rising sun, the young man leaving an impression of royalty.

 

“What happened Alrune?” He asked impatiently, staring wide eyed at the collection of weeping children. “Well, we may have been off with our calculations sire. Just a wee bit!” He bowed deeply.

 

“Oh yes I’m sure you were very off! Off by around 30 times the number! Why in the blazing Abyss are there thirty heroes in my father’s ballroom?!” He lashed out at the scientist, grabbing his collar and shaking it violently.

 

He grabbed his nose and sighed angrily. “Whatever. We will have to make do.” He turned to the students. “Follow me, all of you!” Then turned and marched through a door. “Come on! Everybody up! Up! Up! Up!” The scientist began helping students to their feet and pushing them towards the door, where they proceeded to follow their host.

 

They walked past door after door, sometimes glimpsing a person through the entrances. Michael could do nothing but observe as they marched to a large gate, supposedly guarded by bulking men, covered head to toe in black armor outlined with gold.

 

The gate led to a room dwarfing the last, large pillars of marble supporting the massive roof illuminated by the morning sun. A red carpet lay outstretched, the ends leading to what could only be described as a throne. It was quite the view, seeing the large throne made of pure gold, the seat cushioned with large, red pillows. Carvings of roses and thorns lined its entirety, giving off the impression of beauty.

 

Beauty could also describe the man sitting on the throne. His firm posture showed absolute confidence, accompanied with a sense of strength. On top of his head lay a large crown, filled with precious jewels. Undoubtedly, he was a king. He also had bright blonde hair, with high cheekbones and a peaceful smile.

 

“Welp, I think my brain has imploded.” Michael said, dumbfounded. “Anyone know what’s going on?” All he received were shrugs and shaking heads.

 

“Greetings heroes! Welcome to the country of Aldemar!” The king stood up, announcing his presence. Heroes? Where? Who?

 

“I am glad to meet all of yo- why are there so many of you?” The king stuttered. “Ah, that may have been our fault, Your Majesty.” The weird scientist answered. “We may have “accidentally” made the summoning circle much larger than needed” He said in air quotes.

 

“Why does this always happen with you Alrune? Every time it’s “Oh! I accidentally put in too much mana!” or “ Whoops! I accidentally blew up the palace garden!” every god forsaken time!” He leaned back in his chair, a small bead of sweat rolling down his forehead.

 

“No matter! I greet you all the same, young ones.” He turned his attention back to the students. “Allow me to introduce myself. I am King Henry VIII, and this is my son, Prince Arthur.” He motioned to the man who led us here. That explains why they look so alike!

 

“Your summoning today is a matter of great importance to our survival. From the north comes a horde of demons, led by the current Demon King. To our west lies Arden, who takes advantage of our weakening state, and gangs of pirates and bandits plague our lands to the south. Accompanied with the increased monster sightings, it seems like our country may be doomed to fall, which is where you come in, my heroes.”

 

This garnered cautious looks from the students. What is he trying to say? Michael thought, his thoughts matching those of his classmates.

 

“You heroes must take up arms, learn our ways, and help save us from devastation! Become our sword and our shield, and protect the citizens of this country!” The King shouted across the hall, his determination reverberating around the room.

 

“Why should we?” Michael turned his head to see Carl, a rather aggressive person standing with his arms crossed. “You did some weird magic thingy, summoned us here against our will, and you’re asking us to fight things for you! That sounds like a load of bullshit to me.”

 

“Carl! Watch your language!” Mrs. Hill finally spoke up. After reprimanding Carl, she turned to the King, a displeased frown upon her face. “But I have to agree with him. You’re asking my students to give up their lives for something they had no business in. Send us back right now mister!”

 

The King was shocked. It seems like he hadn’t expected the heroes to decline. “I would if I could, fair lady.” He bowed his head to her. “But unfortunately, there is no possible way to return you back to your home world.”

 

“What?! How dare you! You- you!”

 

“I’m very sorry, fair lady, that this is not to your satisfaction. There remains only two options now, become the heroes of Aldemar, or leave. I’d be able to give you basic supplies, but from then on you’re on your own.”

 

Mrs. Hill’s cheeks grew an angry red, and she stamped her foot in anger. “We have families god dammit! You’ve forcefully taken these children away from their parents, their brothers and sisters! Now you’re saying you can’t send us back?! Argh!”

 

I won’t be able to see my family again? Michael thought of his parents, a loving couple who always treated him with love and care. He let out a tear as he thought of his younger sister, who just turned 12. No! It can’t be true!

 

“I’m sorry.” Said the king. “I am honestly and truly sorry!” He stared at the crying students, accompanied by their angry teacher. Leaning over to his attendant, he quickly instructed him. “Guide them to their rooms, deliver their meals to them when ordered.” The attendant nodded and bowed, before motioning towards the weeping figures across the hall. “Follow him, and you will find your rooms. You have until tomorrow at dusk to make your decision. You may move around the castle freely until then.”

 

The only response he received was the leaking tears and quiet sniffles of grieving heroes.

1