Chapter 39 : Duel
1.6k 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a training ground for Knight Legion at the outskirt of central Treia castle. Darkness mercenary group was the first people outside the knights who could enter the sacred training ground. 

The first reason reason was Duke Cheney insistence. The second reason was Scarlet wanted to see the strength of Darkness. 

As the knights were sharing the ground with mercenaries, conflict was bound to happen. 

At first, there were heated exchange of words between knights and mercenaries. Then, arguments turned into cursing and brawl. Scarlet was informed about it and she decided to conduct daily one on one fight between individual knights and mercenaries. Of course, the bouts were largely won by the dark elves. 

As the knights could no longer face the hummiliation of defeat, they complained to Demia Connery. Demia asked Scarlet to remove the dark elves from the training ground but as a believer in meritocracy, Scarlet refused.

As the knight's morale was low, Scarlet had decided to personally visit the training. 

The dark elves were assembled on the ground before Scarlet. 

"I've brought my companions." Riheet as usual spoke in cold demeanor. 

Demia received them, "Good work. The Princess will greet you now."

Scarlet in her white leather armour walked forward while her right fist resting confidently on the scabbard attached to her belt. 

"I am Scarlet. I thank you all for coming." 

As she was about to resume, her speech was interrupted.

"Oi. Good to finally see you, my princess." A long haired dark elf man spoke to her nonchalantly.

"Hei, read the atmosphere."

"Haha. Cut it out."

"The princess will do anything she likes."

"Anything for the cute princess."

Other dark elves were joking and laughing.

Demia and the knights were containing their anger. 

Scarlet observed the people. After the laughter cooldown, she smiled and resumed.

"I heard that you guys are pretty good. I hope the energy can be put into good use in upcoming battle ."

The dsrk elves jokingly replied. 

"You can count on us, my beautiful princess."

"Can't say no to a cute princess."

They laughed again.

"Insolent fools" Demia yelled.

"It's fine" Scarlet whispered.

"Everyone, listen. Within the knight legion, I am not a princess. I am the supreme commander." Scalet declared.

"I shall be accompanying you in the war. Hopefully, we can cooperate."

The mercenaries were shocked and looked to each other.

"Tomorrow we shall depart to the western region. This war shall determine the fate of our nation. Captain, Demia Connery shall explain to you in detail."

Demia brushed the hair slightly covering her left eye and spoke.

"Our goal is the border between Magrado and Treia. As the border was the large river, we shall go along the river. The Magrado should be camping around there."

Demia resumed.

"You shall be our vanguard. I must admit, however, I have no confidence in your ability to cooperate in your strategy."

The same long haired dark elf man interrupted again, "There is no need to worry. We will bring the Magrado's head as sourvenir. Just wait here."

His declaration was followed by laughter by fellow dark elves. Sora and Ripine sighed while Riheet was cold as usual.

Demia looked at Scarlet and complained, "They don't seem to be committed to the idea of being part of knight legion."

Scarlet called the noisy long haired man. "You."

"Hmm" He replied uninterestedly.

"Yes. Please help me to get warmed up." She said while drawing her sword.

Both were facing each other in one on one duel. The dark elf man, Aral was using two short sword while Scarlet was using a medium length sword.

They were surrounded by mercenaries and knights, who were both cheering.

 "Demia shall be the referee." Scarlet instructed.

"I am looking forward to her cute shriek." Aral joked.

"Give me everything you have." Scarlet touted him.

Aral dashed to her immediately and slashed but she parried and pushed him away. 

Despite being the bigger person, his every slash was not only blocked but the the slender hand always pushed him away. 

Aral was agile fighter. He changed into different tactic. He ran around her while attacking. Scarlet remained stationary and only blocked slashes easily.

Scarlet touted again.

"You seem light on your feet. But your strike is also light. Are you holding back against a girl?"

Aral snapped. He attackedbl even faster with combination of kicks.

Scarlet was forced to evade. She no longer had the luxury to block and threw him away. 

Realising Aral was starting to gear up, she attacked.

Her attack was slower but heavier. 

The duel is between heavy decisive attack from the princess and quick and numerous attacks by the mercenary. 

Aral attacked 10 times while Sarlet attacked once. The exchange of blow continued for 10 minutes.

The dark elves were astonished. Although Aral was not among their strongest fighters, the princess' fighting ability truly surprised them.

One huge swing hit his swords. His hand was pressured until he had to release his swords. He was defeated.

The dark elves and knights cheered. 

"What's wrong, Aral? Scared of the princess?" His dark elf friend mocked him.

"I just went easy on her!" Aral shouted.

The dark elves were laughing.

Scarlet touted the laughing men in high voice.

"Does anyone want a match?"

Everybody was silent.

"The best way to gain your trust is by showing my ability." Scarlet said to Riheet.

Ripine walked to Scarlet.

"You want a match.?" 

Ripine shook her head and spoke slowly that only Scarlet could hear.

"No. I want to avenge my brethren. Treia Kingdom oppress us."

Scarlet was shocked. Ripine used a lighter sword than her and fought in the same way as Aral. Unlike against Aral, Scarlet was being pressured that she had to retreat backward upon receiving each attack. 

She could neither block nor parry. She barely evaded. She was practically forced to leap backward or to the sides. If she merely evade, Ripine would already be close and made follow up attack. 

From the knights' point of view, it was as if their princess was desperately running away from the smaller dark elf girl. 

Denis was sweating. She was slightly stronger than the princess but she believed she definitely would be put in the same situation as her princess 

For the escaping princess, the weight of her sword was getting in her way. She was aware she was fighting a losing battle. But she kept running away as the dark elf girl was unleashing murderous intent. 

After a while, her legs became sluggish and Ripine's attack caught up with her.

She had no choice to attack. She inhaled and swung the sword but the tip of Ripine's blade was thrusting into her eyes.

"Scarlet!!!" The panic Demia lost composure and called her princess casually.

Just when the blade reach her left eye, it stopped. Riheet held her sister hand.

"Stop it."

Ripine walked away and Scarlet immediately sat on the ground. She was breathing heavily. 

"Why she hates me that much?" Scarlet mumbled to herself while watching Rifine's back.

"Aura sister. I miss you." Ripine  whispered while being Sora was holding her hand.

22