Chapter 57 : Marcella Doni (Part 1)
1.1k 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(3 years ago)

In this country… At the aristocratic school of the Ponsonia Kingdom, students learned many things. Students came from wealthy and noble background studied swordsmanship, academics, trade, and most importantly sorcery.

This country had the only school that taught proper sorcery in this region. Talented people could learn sorcery elsewhere but this was the only place where ones from noble background could learn about magic. Even Germion, Treia, Arkland, Magrado, Yurest and others didn't have that.

Nevertheless, there was a even greater place to study various magic, which was 'Circle Tower' owned by Circle of Magi at Lake Calenhad, but Circle of Magi was independent from any government and its affair was purely sorcery but at Ponsonia Elite School, sorcery was linked to prestige and politics.

Magic. "Fireball"

A loud and dignified voice echoed in the aristocratic school’s magic practice area.

And the moment the spell resounded, a ball of fire was formed in the air and moved like an arrow to large statue made of straw. A roaring sound and a violent burning.

The teachers who had been watching let out a sigh of admiration.

"…Magnificent. As expected of the prestigious Doni house."

"To be able to freely manipulate fire magic to that extent."

"It’s a pity that she was born as a woman…"

Magic was a comprehensive field that run through all sorts of disciplines, including mathematics, philosophy, and history.

However, it’s not just a weapon for mercenaries and adventurers to live out their short-lived days.

The aristocratic mages had such pride.

And now, Marcella, who had cast  'Fireball' magic, was also proud of her magic.

"…it’s not for personal advancement. I’m only learning magic for my own improvement." 

Marcella said, fluttering her proud dark red hair.

She was about half a head shorter than the boys and girls of her age, and although Marcella’s face was well-groomed, she still had a childishness about her, but even so, she looked dignified as she boldly answered the compliment while puffing her chest full of pride.

"As expected. Your skill and noble will are the pride of our school"

"Thank you, Teacher."

Marcella thanked her mentor, but still felt a little guilty about it.

It was only half a lie to say that she was learning magic for her own improvement.

Marcella had another important objective in mind.

"You have satisfactorily fulfilled your graduation requirements. That’s all for today’s exam. Thank you for your hard work, Marcella."

"Yes!"

Marcella bowed politely to her mentor and then left the training ground, her expression stiffened so as not to show her cheerfully mood.

Her next destination was already fixed.

She left the noble school and headed to the coffee shop for nobles in the royal capital.

As she walked along the gorgeous cobblestone streets, the smell of fragrant coffee tickles her nostrils.

This was the favorite restaurant of Marcella's lover.

A bell attached to the door rang a delightful sound as it opened.

As if blessing the cheerful mood.

"Welcome"

"I wonder if Alex is here?"

"Ah, umm…"

The clerk stammered.

"Ah, so he’s here?"

"Ah, customer…!"

He must be in the usual place, Marcella guessed.

Alex liked the second-floor seats in this shop.

It’s almost like a reserved seat.

"…Alex!"

Marcella walked up the stairs and called out to the man chatting at the window.

He was being accosted by girls again.

She’s probably a dull woman who only wants to see Alex’s face and position.

She didn’t have to even speak about it.

"Hi, Marcella… you look well."

"Hm? What’s wrong, Alex? You look strangely happy" Marcella touched her spectacle.

Alex is Marcella's fiancée.

He was the heir to a viscount house and was a student just like Marcella.

He had delicate blonde hair like a woman and a delicate skin capable of being confused with that of a girl.

Marcella was secretly proud that the owner of such beauty was her fiancée .

However, lately, he had been skipping school and hanging out at coffee shops and salons a lot.

She believed Alex’s words, "It’s important to make connections like this", so she didn’t dare complain. In fact, it was because there were many people gathered around him.

….although she did complain about the fact that there were many women of the same age among them.

But Marcella prided herself on that she was his fiancée and also had a feeling of superiority because she knew the true good points about Alex, and not that superficial charm.

So, no matter what kind of woman Alex was talking to, she wouldn’t be displeased.

"Rather, you’re the one who seems lively. It’s surprising."

"Surprising? About what? Better yet, listen to me, Alex!"

"What’s the matter, did you perhaps surprise the teachers with another splendid magic trick?"

Without even noticing Alex’s sarcastic tone, Marcella said,

"That’s right!"

Said so.

"Teacher Bellocchio was pleased and said that it was the first time a girl of my age had ever chanted large Fireball. I now can skip a year and graduate!"

"Hee…"

"So, that’s why, Alex…"

Marcella, embarrassed, sat down next to Alex.

"Haa… I can’t believe that you’ve barely arrived and you’ve already started to brag. Why don’t you try to be a little more graceful?"

The long blue-haired woman spoke to Marcella with a sarcastic smile.

Marcella finally got the human there into her sight.

"…I’m actually talking with Alex"

"Didn’t you see that Lord Alex was talking to me?"

"I don’t think it’s lady-like to bother a man like that."

"Hey, Alex. Could you have this child go away?"

Alex presses his glabella and then sighs.

"…Could you stop that? You are being a nuisance to the other customers and clerks."

"B-But…"

"No ‘but’s!"

This was the first time Marcella had ever seen Alex raised his voice like this.

"A-Alex…?"

"You are always like this…You don’t look at me at all. Despite your rashness, there a limit to being too dense, don’t you think?"

"What do you mean…?"

"I’m talking about your proud magic! I’m sick of it!"

Marcella staggered involuntarily.

There had been many times when he had been jealous of her magic skills.

There were many times when she was told that her assertiveness was unwomanly.

But this and that was something she could bear for the sake of her beloved fiancée .

"Wh… Why…? You were the one who asked me to help you because you were going to become a sorceress… I only did for you!"

She did her best.

Marcella's faint voice was drowned out by Alex’s piercing cry voice.

"You said you did your best for my sake? You’re gonna have to use your head a little more than that! You have no idea what kind of joke I became after you became the first! Hold yourself a little more! If you can read the air, you will know how hard you should try to help my every day and not hurt my honor, I’m not right!?"

"W-Wait a second… Alex, what happened with you…?"

There I heard a chuckle that sounded like a whisper.

Marcella surely glared at the smiling human face.

"Oh my, you’re scary, Mistress Marcella."

"…Why don’t you start giving me your name before you call out to me?"

"Hmph, it seems that you really aren’t interested in other people… How arrogant. Well, okay. I am Lene, the eldest daughter of the Delcott family."

"…Ah, I remembered. An upstart young girl who recently came to school."

The Delcott family was originally a merchant family.

They have made great profits in land and sea transportation.

Until three generations ago they were just commoners, but in recognition of the benefits that their speedy transportation has brought to the country, they were recognized as a baron.

They’ve recently started dabbling in finance. They are extremely generous to money-strapped nobles, and even high-ranking nobles can’t let their guard down. Their influence extended to the noble school, and many noble children were under the thumb of Lene.

Marcella had never had a conversation with Lene before.

But that doesn’t mean she didn’t know her face and name.

Ignoring her was the least unpleasant thing she could do.

After all, Alex’s fiancée was Marcella.

There’s no way Alex would get serious about some upstart woman like her.

…Yes, she was convinced.

"Oh my, scary…"

"Marcella! Stop talking like that!"

"Lene is troubled because of the unfounded rumors she has heard…"

"Unfounded rumors you said?"

Marcella knew. She had seen Lene wielded the power of her house and treated many of the students like servants. You could even call it an open secret. In fact, Marcella was in the position of being consulted by distressed classmates.

"Yeah, I’ve been consulting with her. About how she was being harassed. Moreover…"

With a painful sigh, Lene placed her hand on the back of Alex’s hand.

"Marcella, I can’t believe you were the perpetrator of that harassment.

"Haa!?"

Marcella, unintentionally, was taken aback by surprise.

Seeing that surprised look on her face, Alex and Lene grinned.

"I know you yielded your power and curried favor with a lot of people and even tried to fabricate Lene’s crimes"

"That’s right. And that’s where Lord Alex reached out to save me."

Marcella clenched her teeth.

"Besides, Mistress Marcella, didn’t you seduce the instructors of the academy?"

"W-What are you saying…!?"

Marcella glared at Lene with a death stare.

"You know what that means? You insulted not only me, but the school itself"

"Haa… it’s you who doesn’t understand. It’s common sense to believe that there was something wrong with those people making the top student a woman."

"…do you want to get out there and do some black and white?"

In an aristocratic society that values honor, such an insult would be a fully-fledged crime.

Marcella's words were not a threat or anything.

After all, that’s all it took to plead for a trial.

But Lene graciously smiled at Marcella's words.

"Yes, you’re more than welcome. Though I’m sure the teachers at the school will raise the white flag first before then"

"…what do you mean?"

A puzzled look spread across Marcella's face.

It’s a bluff, anyway.

Marcella tried to convince herself.

But the woman in front of her had taken hold of the weaknesses of many humans and ensnared them.

And now it was Alex who answered Marcella's bad premonition.

"Marcella. Teachers at this school are suspected of accepting bribes and manipulating the results of the entrance examinations and grades of their students. And you’re suspected of bribing and seducing them, too."

"S-Such a stupid story…!"

"That’s why I’m breaking off my engagement with you… Don’t ever show up before me again!"

12