Chapter 6 (A Journey Begins)
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He was in a strange misty forest. The trees around were grey and stiff, scarcely moving as the wind rushed through the forest. Where the trees in a normal, healthy forest would sway gently with the breeze, these tall pale specters creaked ominously as they were forced to move. Every once in a while, branches would rub together, creating a clacking and screeching sound that set his teeth on edge. The very air around him felt unnatural, devoid of life.

He turned on the spot, trying to make out his surroundings. No matter how hard he strained his eyes, the mist seemed to shift with him, preventing him from seeing any further than a few feet in any direction. He felt a chill run down his spine as he revolved slowly on the spot, searching for some clue as to where he was. He felt uneasy, and quite extraordinarily out of place. He had to leave this place, and get somewhere less… evil.

He began moving quickly in a random direction. At first, he moved in a fast walk, unconsciously trying to preserve some dignity. But as he moved, he began to pick up the pace, until he was sprinting at full speed, dodging amongst the dead grey trunks. The trees at the edge of his vision swayed with the wind as he flashed past them, giving the impression that they were trying to reach out to him. He deliberately kept his gaze forward and focused on trying to find a way out of the forest.

An ancient presence seemed to stalk him, just out of sight. Despite his earlier resolution to face forward, he found himself glancing over his shoulder every few seconds, reassuring himself that there was nothing behind him. Then, without warning, he heard a sound. A deep growl that seemed to come from nowhere, and all around him at once. Whatever made the sound had to be massive, he thought. Massive, and most importantly, hungry.

He slid to a stop suddenly and peered into the mist once again. He strained his ears, trying to catch some other sign of the sound, but silence now seemed to press in upon him, enveloping him like a suffocating blanket. He made an effort to calm his breathing as he turned once more on the spot. He couldn’t expect to hear anything around him if he was panting so heavily. His annoyance with himself did the trick. His breathing automatically slowed, and his racing pulse calmed as well. Satisfied with the small result, he looked behind himself once more. Then, he saw something that caused his breath to catch in his throat.

The maze had shifted slightly in front of him, revealing a sight worse than any of his nightmares. A pair of bright yellow eyes seemed to float, unsupported in the mist, just under twenty feet away from him. They were the size of dinner platters, and they had a faint, hungry glow to them as they fixed unblinkingly upon his face. They were shaped like those of a wolf’s, but on a much larger scale, and they looked as dead as the forest in which they appeared.

Enri tried to take a step backward, but he couldn’t get his body to move. Something about the beast’s eyes held him in place, much like the way a snake paralyzes its prey before it strikes. He swallowed once and found his throat dry. His breath accelerated once more, the sound heavy and rasping in his ears. Instinctually, his right hand moved to his waist, fumbling for the hilt of his weapon, but found nothing there. He looked down at his waist and saw no sign of any weapon on his belt.

The wolf padded forward a few more feet, its eyes never wavering from Enri for a second. As the rest of its body came into view, a horrified gasp was torn from Enri. Its hide was pitch black, but it looked as though the beast had died long ago. Great chunks of its fur were missing, revealing grey flesh, and even in some places, bones that were almost black with rot. The entire body, like the head, was massive. The beast was almost fifteen feet long and stood about eight feet tall.

Before Enri could gather his thoughts, or try to even think of some means of escape, the wolf leaped forward. It slammed into Enri, knocking him flat and driving the air out of his lungs. The sheer size and weight of the paw holding him down pinned his arms, and he lay helpless below the beast. It let out another growl, then opened its massive jaws. Enri’s last vision was of blackened fangs as he attempted to push the paw off of him. Then, everything went black as the jaws flashed towards his head.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Enri snapped awake and sat bolt upright with a shout. He rolled out of the bed, throwing the sheets askew in his haste, and snatched up the weapon resting on his bedside table. The weapon slid free of the sheath with an expectant hiss, and he held it before him, the metal reflecting the light of a street lantern outside.

He was drenched in a cold sweat, and his chest heaved as he dragged lungfuls of air in. Looking down, he could see his free hand shaking, but no sign of the beast. He brought his hand up to his face and felt it frantically, checking for signs of damage, but felt only his own perspiration. He could still smell the monster wolf’s putrid breath.

He staggered over to the window of his room and threw it open. The cold air outside washed over him, freezing cold against his bare skin. He dropped the estoc and clutched the sill with both hands, striving to calm himself. His breathing eventually slowed as he stared down at the street outside the tavern.

The lights from the first floor had been extinguished, and all was dark below. The business had clearly ended for the night long ago, which meant that the rest of the patrons had either gone home or were asleep in one of the other rooms above the taproom. He put his face in his hands again, shaking himself angrily.

He could still see those large black fangs as they bared down upon him. The image of the wolf, with its rotten flesh and hungry look, was still imprinted clearly in his brain. What the hell kind of beast was that? He asked himself shakily. He’d seen wolves before during his many trips into The Dagorra Forest outside of Milagre. But those were much smaller, and definitely more… alive than that beast. He thought briefly of the forest that it prowled, wondering where that could have possibly been in the world.

The worst part of the dream was that it hadn’t felt anything like a dream. He’d had nightmares before, though admittedly not since he had been a child. This one had felt so real to him, however. He could still hear the creaking of the dead trees, and the growl of the wolf. He felt as though he had actually been in that forest, and had really faced that beast.

But that’s ridiculous, he thought to himself. I’ve been in bed the entire time, and I can’t just teleport to a different place.

Almost as a second thought, he strained his ears, trying to catch the slightest noise. The was the faint sound of chattering below as he saw a few town guards walk past, talking to pass the time on one of their patrols. There was nothing of the wolf in the sounds around him. In the room next to his, a grunting snore could be heard, but it was a far cry from the bone-chilling growl the beast had unleashed.

Enri shook himself angrily once more. He was being foolish. He started the most important journey of his life tomorrow, and he needed his sleep, not to waste thought on a trivial nightmare. He pulled the window shut once more and walked back to the bed. Sliding under the blankets, he laughed silently at himself for acting like a child. He was still smiling in amusement when he fell back asleep, slipping into a dreamless slumber. When he awoke the next morning, he did not remember the forest or the wolf.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Before he left his room the next morning just after dawn, he belted on his new sword, polished and shining, to his waist. Stopping to take a look at himself in the small mirror, he nodded, satisfied. For the first time in a long while, he wasn’t wearing the basic tabard, tunic, and breeches that identified him as a member of The Maravino. Instead, he wore a grey tunic that bound tightly to his forearms, with a plain grey tabard over it. His pack contained a heavy cloak for the cold weather, but he decided he’d leave it for later.

The taproom downstairs was already doing steady business, despite the absence of the sun outside. Most of the people here were farmworkers, in search of a good hot meal before heading out to the fields. Some were guards from the night shift, seeking a drink or two before retiring to their homes for some sleep. Roderic usually presided over breakfast, to allow Mandra a chance to sleep, and his skill in cooking nearly rivaled her own. To those who frequented the tavern this early, it was a good meal, offered at an affordable price, even to those who had only their harvest profits to live off of.

It was common knowledge that Mandra and Roderic would refrain from charging those who were low on coin, holding the bill until they could afford to spend their coin again. This kindness, combined with the excellent food at a low price, allowed them to build a rapport with the simple folk. Mandra was known as the woman who would feed the starving, give them a little extra, and shoo them away without asking for payment. It was this generosity that had allowed Enri to survive when he’d been thrown out onto the streets, young and unable to care for himself.

As Enri descended the stair, he was surprised to see Mandra sitting at the bar, her hair tousled by sleep. She was holding a steaming mug of coffee in her hand, with another set in front of the stool beside her. Roderic was collecting plates and mugs from an empty table and nodded in greeting to Enri as he approached. Mandra smiled warmly and patted the empty stool next to her.

“I figured you’d be up early.” She said, stifling a yawn behind her hand. “You were always punctual. I expect you’ll reach the Sanctuary within a month.”

Enri couldn’t help but grin in return as he slid onto the empty stool and picked up the other mug. “There was no need to get up so early, Mandra.

She rolled her eyes, refusing to acknowledge his awkwardness. “Well, I had to make sure Roderic wasn’t ruining my business while I slept.” Then she added, more seriously. “Come now, Enri. I’ve watched you grow up all these years, and you think I wouldn’t be here to farewell you?”

She tutted and took another deep sip from her mug. Enri followed suit, smacking his lips in appreciation as he tasted more of his favorite Adarban brew. Mandra reached over the counter and pulled a small bundle wrapped in cloth, then offered it to him. He took it curiously, raising an eyebrow in question.

“Just a little gift for the trip. I’ve made you a few meals and packed them up. I put a little sack of coffee in there too.”

Enri’s spirits lifted at the words. “Adarban?”

Her eyes twinkled in silent laughter. “Of course. It’s your favorite, after all. Just make sure not to drink it all at once.”

He ducked his head in thanks. “Thanks a bunch, Mandra. I don’t know how I’ll ever repay you for all the help you’ve given me over the years.”

She waved a hand lazily and stifled a yawn again. “You can thank me by sharing your stories when you come back.”

Enri smiled and embraced her. He’d never had a strong connection with his mother, having been raised on the streets as he was. Now that he came to think of it, Mandra was the closest thing to a mother he’d ever had. “I remember you saying last night that I’d probably not come back.”

She shrugged lightly. “Well, you always gotta come back to the home you know.”

She patted him on the back as he hugged her tightly, feeling the familiar warmth that had comforted him so often as a child. He went to speak, but a tight feeling in his chest caught his words. He cleared his throat and tried again.

“Mandra- Thank you for everything, seriously. I’ll make sure to visit you first thing when I’m done.” 

They pulled apart, and Mandra dashed a hand across her eyes, then nodded silently. A look of understanding and shared memory passed between them until a slight cough distracted them. Enri turned to see Roderic standing next to him, a wide grin on his face.

“Good luck mate. I’ll keep an ear out for rumors about you.”

Enri grinned in return and embraced his oldest friend. “Good luck to you too, Roderic. I hope to see your shop when I get back.”

They held the embrace for only a brief moment, slapping each other on the backs. Enri was about to turn to leave when Roderic fished something out of the pocket of his apron.

“Oh! I nearly forgot. I’ve got a contact in Sheran. He’s the guy I talk to for shipments, and he travels everywhere. I’ve written a note for you, asking him to hire you as a bodyguard for a trip. He’s always complaining that he needs more armed me, and you’re the best I know.”

Enri rolled his eyes. “I’m nowhere near the best, Rod.”

Roderic shrugged. “Whatever. At least it will help you cover fare to wherever you go when you leave Tyrman.”

Enri took the folded note, moved by this unexpected gesture from his childhood friend. He tucked the paper into a pouch on his belt, and shook Roderic’s hands.

“Thanks, Rod. I’m sure it will come in handy.”

Roderic grinned again, then made a gesture of farewell as he went back to clearing the empty table. Enri moved for the door, turning briefly before he exited, seeing Mandras eyes still fixed on him, now swimming with tears. Offering one last smile, he closed the door behind him and set off down the high street, heading for the North Gate.

The street he traveled down was just as busy as it had been the previous morning when he’d received the earth-shattering invitation from Atsu. It was strange how the city itself never seemed to change, he reflected. He’d heard stories as a child of how many times the city had been completely devastated by attacks, both external and from within. Just a few streets over, the God of War, Shigeru Tokugawa, had a legendary fight with the criminal Lea longbow. The fight had been a massive event and had claimed the lives of nearly five hundred people by the time it had finished. Many of the lives lost had belonged to innocent citizens, but more than a few had been the loyal members of Issho-Ni, Shigeru’s elite private force.

Lea Longbow had later gone on to become the Goddess of Water and the Seas,  but she was currently in hiding, fearful of Shigeru’s wrath. Everyone knew that Issho-Ni stood for justice, but also for the protection of the innocent. They were well known for hunting and defending against the most heinous criminals. They were a pious, well-respected group of fighters and the pride of the people that they protected. Making an enemy of them came with a heavy cost, and as such, many did not last long. But Longbow had been powerful in her own right and had managed to avoid detection for the last hundred years or so.

Each time Milagre encountered disaster, it rebounded back to prosperity in no time at all. The people of the city, from the noble to the poor, harbored a deep-seated love for it, and never failed to band together to protect or rebuild their home together. It was a tightly knit community of thousands of people, honor-bound to lean on and support each other. In his time in the city, Enri had forged meaningful connections of his own and had come to find his own place in this chaotic center. To leave would break his heart, but he knew that the city would call him back eventually. As Mandra had said, you had to return home eventually.

The crowd thinned considerably as Enri drew closer to the outskirts of the city, finally rounding the last street corner and coming within sight of the city walls. When he saw who was waiting for him just inside the gate, he stopped in his tracks, his mouth falling open in surprise.

Standing just to the side of the flow of traffic in and out of the gates, wearing shining new plate mail, and looking extremely out of place, was Markus, his former fellow Maravino trainee.

1