Chapter 12 (A Familiar Stranger)
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enri looked a little skeptical but fished three silver coins from his pouch and slid them over. Finally, Samuel removed his feet from the table and sat up straight. His hands went to a bag on his side that Enri hadn’t noticed, and pulled out a roll of parchment and a bottle of ink. Putting them both on the table in front of him, he swept the coins into the bag. Enri, who expected to hear the tinkling of the coins hitting other objects, frowned slightly as no sound came out of the bag.

Closing the flap of his bag, Samuel picked his notebook up with his left hand, opening it to yet another random page, and spreading out the parchment with his right. Markus looked for some sign of a quill or brush, but neither were visible. Instead, Samuel uncapped the bottle of ink, and splashed some onto the surface, dying about a third of the surface jet black. Then, holding his right hand over the spread parchment and staring at his book, he began chanting in a strange tongue. Enri, who had no magical potential and therefore couldn’t perceive any of the energy being used, stared in fascination as the ink that had been dropped so carelessly on the paper began to move.

What was previously a small puddle of black ink, quickly resolved itself into a map. The ink spread out quickly, forming squiggly lines; lines that depicted roads, paths, settlements, plains, and even the Dagorra Forest to the south-east. Finally, the remaining ink took on the shape of an artfully illustrated mountain dominating the upper right-hand corner of the parchment, at which point Samuel stopped chanting and snapped the notebook shut. The parchment sprung back into a roll, and Samuel tied it shut with a length of twine pulled from his pack.

“There you go, nice and easy,” Samuel said cheerily as he slid the parchment over. “One of my better maps, and between me and you, that’s saying something.”

Enri grabbed the rolled map and placed it in his pack, his mind filled with curiosity. Despite his lack of experience or potential with magic, he had seen some mages work spells before. He even had one vague memory of seeing a mage copy something from one paper to another. But he’d never seen a spell worked the way Samuel had done it, and he was bursting with questions. However, he had no chance to ask any of them, for, at that moment, one of the serving girls approached their table and gave him a warm smile.

“Hi, Enri. Not yet left, then?” Enri looked up to see one of his many cousins, Sera, standing there, some towels over her arm and an expectant look on her face.

“Hey, Sera,” Enri replied brightly, his thoughts on Samuel temporarily pushed aside. Sera was the one member of the Ciayol family who treated Enri kindly, not scorning him for his lack of access to their ancestor’s powers. “How’s business tonight?”

Sera allowed her gaze to sweep over the tavern before answering. She’d helped Mandra for almost three years, and was the only one, outside of Roderic, who the landlady trusted to run the tavern for a night. “It’s pretty busy, that’s for sure. But nothing I can’t handle.”

She smiled, perhaps a bit tiredly this time, and turned to Samuel. “Good evening to you as well, Lord Bragg. I trust you’ve had a successful day in the market?”

Samuel smiled and made a small gesture of depreciation. “I keep saying, just call me Samuel, Sera. It was an alright day. Thankfully, it’s over now and I can enjoy a peaceful meal.”

In spite of himself, Enri laughed aloud but managed to turn it into a cough. The loud and rambunctious tavern could hardly be described as “peaceful”. Sera, however, made no attempt to challenge the term, but merely smiled back at Samuel.

“Very well, Samuel.” She said graciously, then suddenly her eyes became like daggers and her smile faded, replaced with a stern scowl. “But you’d best keep your boots off the table, or I’ll be telling Mandra.”

Samuel instantly became meek. “Of course mistress.”

Enri smiled inwardly, thinking of how much Mandra was rubbing off on his cousin. Then his thoughts were distracted once again as Sera pulled a small piece of parchment from within the pocket of her apron.

“Well then. What will you three be having tonight? There’s no menu tonight, just some roast duck with fresh greens and fresh bread, or a rabbit stew.”

Enri had a brief moment of disappointment on hearing that there was no more lamb but pushed it away. Anything cooked by Roderic was tasty, so he put his palms down on the table. “The duck sounds great.”

Markus and Samuel made noises of agreement, and Sera smiled widely again. “Three servings it is then. I’ll throw a little extra in, as I know you’ve all got such large appetites, and I’ll throw on a fresh pot of coffee for you Enri.”

Enri nodded his pleasure at the news, and fished two gold coins out of his pouch, holding them out for Sera. She showed no sign of surprise at their appearance, but slipped them into her apron, winking at Enri. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell Mandra.”

She slipped back through the crowd, carrying their order to the kitchen. As she disappeared, Markus took in a deep breath and let it out slowly, clearly out of his element, which surprised Enri. Markus came from the clans on the plains and had spent his entire time in Milagre surrounded by other trainees and soldiers, so he shouldn’t have any problem with the crowds. Then the reason became clear to him as Samuel leaned across the table, a smirk on his face.

“I’d be careful, friend. That young lady is known to be quite the heartbreaker. Many have been smitten like you, but all have been denied.”

Markus flushed slightly, and Enri stared at him in surprise. It was not the thought of two Ciayols together that shocked him. Their family line was so deeply seeded into the country and so old, that there was almost no physical relation between the two of them. As long as they weren’t of the same clan, it was considered normal, even favorable for two Ciayols to marry, and further increase the family’s influence in the country and the world outside it.

No, it wasn’t the family connection that bothered Enri. It was that Markus, who had been so focused on training since arriving in Milagre, and not giving a second of thought to finding a partner, would be interested in someone like Sera, who was also so absorbed in her career that, like Mandra, she had no time to spend with a man. He became aware of the fact that Markus was glaring at him silently, and even worse, that his mouth was hanging open. Hurriedly closing it, Enri willingly pushed the earth-shattering revelation away and turned to Samuel.

“What kind of magic did you just use to copy that map?” Enri asked eagerly, returning to the original conversation from before Sera interrupted them. “I’ve never seen a spell worked like that.”

Samuel leaned back in his seat again, albeit this time without kicking his feet onto the table, and turned to face him, a pleased smile on his face. Like all experts, he enjoyed explaining his craft to those who would listen. Especially this one, who looked so averse to magic, the question came as a great surprise.

“First, I didn’t copy the map. I made a fresh new map using my own memories.” Samuel explained. “And I’m not surprised you’ve never seen a spell like that since it’s of my own invention.”

Enri raised his eyebrows in surprise. “You mean you know in your mind exactly what the country looks like? And what do you mean, your own invention?”

Samuel shrugged diffidently. “Well, I’ve traveled around the country so much that I know where everything is, and I’ve got a good memory.” His smile turned into more of a smirk, then he added, “And I invented the spell.”

Enri sat back, his mind whirling. “But how do you invent a spell?”

Markus leaned forward as he asked this, clearly curious as well. Samuel looked between the two of them, looking slightly bemused, and laughed. “Surely you’ve heard of people inventing spells before. You don't’ honestly think that we’re all using the same spells from centuries ago, do you?”

“Well, no,” Markus answered this time. “But everyone knows that spells are invented by great mages, who have had decades and decades to study. And you’re…”

His voice trailed off, as he seemed to notice that his comment could be construed as rude. Samuel seemed to take no offense but looked back in genuine curiosity. Enri understood where Markus was coming from and spoke quickly to cover his mistake.

“Young. You’re only a few years older than us, but you’ve already invented a spell. That’s quite extraordinary. Is that why you’re a lord?”

He’d noticed when Sera had called him “Lord”, but Samuel didn’t seem cocky at all. He knew that those born as nobles were pompous and rude, viewing commoners as lesser beings. The fact that Bragg could speak openly and friendly with them, coupled with the fact that his robes, though in excellent condition, lacked the fine adornments and embroidery that were typical of nobles, seemed to indicate that his title had not been inherited, but earned.

Samuel sighed, giving the impression that he’d answered this question many times in his life. “No. I was awarded the title of Lord by Queen Shera for my role in providing her with valuable information. I’m quite good at acquiring and sharing information, being a servant of Arcana.”

Markus frowned. “Arcana? Who’s that?”

Enri answered for Samuel, not at all surprised that Markus wasn’t familiar with the name. “Arcana is the God of Knowledge and Magic.”

Samuel held up a hand. “Arcane Magic, more specifically.”

They fell silent for several seconds, considering what Samuel had told them. Markus’ curiosity seemed to have been sated, but Enri still had more questions. As Sera returned with three steaming mugs of coffee, setting one before each of them and informing them that their food was not far behind, Enri decided to ask what was on his mind.

“Do you know the monk that lives on Draco mountain?” Enri fired the question out without warning, watching Samuel’s face carefully.

Samuel had no visible reaction that Enri could see, though he did pause for a fleeting second before taking a sip of his coffee. “I’ve heard of him before, yes. “

His face gave nothing away as he stared back at Enri, but Enri was not willing to be dissuaded so easily. “You said that you’ve traveled all over the world. So that means you’ve met this monk, right?”

Samuel tilted his head slightly, appearing to consider his words. “In a manner of speaking.”

Now Markus’ attention was snagged again, despite the bored look that had been on his face. “What do you know about him?” He asked eagerly. As Enri’s guide, he wanted to know as much as possible, so that he could be of use.

Samuel looked bemused once more as he regarded their keen interest. Finally, he sighed slightly and set his mug down. “He’s a very wise man, according to those who have met him. But Draco mountain is not his permanent home.”

Enri started to ask another question, but Samuel forestalled him with a raised hand. “I don’t know where his actual home is. All I know is that once every ten years, he journeys to Draco, then climbs the mountain.”

Enri, who was still paying very close attention to Samuel’s face, decided that he was speaking the truth. Telling when someone was lying to him was a special gift of his, and he was convinced of Samuel’s honesty. He leaned back in his chair again, disappointment filling him. Perhaps Samuel noticed this because he offered Enri an apologetic smile.

“It sounds like you’re setting off to meet him, so I’m sure you’ll understand more in due time. Until you do meet him, however, you’ll have to be patient. One thing I’ve learned the hard way in my travels is that knowledge takes time to acquire. After all, if we were able to learn anything we wanted at once, how would we advance as a species?”

Enri had to admit the wisdom in this and did not press the point further. They lapsed then into talks about the country, their time spent in Milagre, and even persuaded Samuel to tell a few small stories of his travels. Unlike the other questions and favors they’d asked of him, he seemed to really enjoy sharing his tales, and he launched eagerly into a brief summary of his travels around Tyrman.

Taking small breaks between bites of their dinners, which were just as delicious as anything ever made at The Heron, they asked questions of Samuel’s story, and he answered at once, acting like a storyteller, reveling in their attention. He told them of the amazing sights he’d seen, from the magic-infused cliffs of Jyrok on the northwestern coast, where a constant updraft prevented the residents of the town from falling to their deaths, to the perilous Shifting Sands, the local name for a desert to the far east.

Apart from places, he even described the fascinating people that his travels had brought him into contact with. He told them of a blind farmer in Harlest to the south-east who kept his farms using earth magic, the sages in Murgan who told great fortunes for everyone from kings to peasants, and the druids deep in the Dagorra Forest, where he claimed to have even met the God of Nature himself, along with his champion, who sounded very bloodthirsty and dangerous.

They became so absorbed in Samuel’s recountings that they lost track of time, and even temporarily forgot about the weighty burden of their own quest, which had hung over them like a dark thunderstorm until now. They laughed as Samuel described the mishaps along his journeys, and exclaimed in awe as he recounted the epic scenes that he’d witnessed, which included a duel between their own ancestor Bora Bora, and the God of War. As Samuel talked of his travels, Enri began to think that he was much older than he appeared, but this was no great shock. Many people skilled in magic could slow, and even stop the damage of time to their bodies.

The night fell properly as they talked, and many of the other patrons left to their homes. The other serving girls were in the midst of clearing empty plates and mugs when Sera approached them again, hesitantly interrupting their discussion.

“Sorry to tell you three, but we’ll be closing the tavern in a few minutes.” She turned to Enri and Markus specifically, and they realized that she was holding a key for each of them. “Here’s the keys to your rooms, you two.”

Enri hesitated. He knew that the rooms of Mandra’s inn were pricy, normally reserved for merchants who were staying overnight in the town. “We’re fine with just one room, Sera. We don’t want to cause a problem if someone turns up late looking for a room.”

Sera rolled her eyes and dropped the keys onto the table. “It’s a slow night tonight, so we’ve got plenty of rooms. Get off to bed soon, and stop complaining.” 

Her eyes twinkled in silent laughter as she waved them goodnight, then went to join the other serving girls in cleaning up for the night. Enri finished the last of his coffee and held out his hand.

“It was a pleasure to meet you, Samuel. Thank you for the map, and for the stories. It sounds like you’ve lived quite an extraordinary life.”

Samuel shook his hand firmly, waving his other in dismissal. “Ah, I’ve just been lucky. Right place, right time you know.”

He then shook hands with Markus, clasping the big boy’s forearm with his free hand and saying, “You’ve reminded me that I’m overdue for a visit to Dranis. I’ll have to go see him at the end of the month. And when I go, I’ll tell him what an interesting man his son has become!”

Markus flushed slightly at Samuel’s words but returned the handshake eagerly. “Please tell my family hello from me, will you? I hope the younglings aren’t up to too much trouble.”

Samuel grinned in reply. “But that’d be no fun!” They both laughed at the idea, and Samuel flipped his hood up to cover his face and walked to the door. Pausing only to wave farewell once more, he exited the tavern, departing out into the frigid night.

“Strange fellow,” Markus grunted. “Seemed to know a bit more than he was letting on.”

“Agreed,” said Enri, humming thoughtfully to himself. “Still, I can’t help but feel like our meeting was planned.” He turned back to Markus, looking for his opinion. “He almost seemed to be expecting us, you know?”

Markus nodded silently. “Yeah, you got a point there.”

They stared at the door through which Samuel had left for several minutes, until Sera, who was passing nearby, cleared her throat pointedly. They started, then said goodnight hastily and snatched up their keys. Markus followed Enri up the stairs, and when Enri pointed out which room was his, he bid Enri goodnight in a slightly more friendly tone than he usually used.

The sheets of the bed were neat and clean, but Enri resisted the urge to flop down on the soft-looking bed. Instead, he moved to the window as he’d done the previous night, and looked down at the street outside. He saw the same combination of drunk late-night revelers and tired guards as before, but they were a background image to what was racing through his mind. His mind dwelled on the image of Samuel when they’d first met him, his eyes glowing bright purple.

He remained convinced, more than ever, that meeting Samuel had been planned somehow. He didn’t see how it could have been orchestrated, but he couldn’t shake the feeling that Samuel had been waiting for them. And the way he worked magic, not to mention how deep his knowledge of Tyrman and the world was, made Enri uneasy. Samuel had been a pleasant person to be sure, but he had the same undefinable ancient aura around him that Shigeru and Atsu had possessed.

Finally, Enri closed the blinds on his window and lay on the bed. He stared up at the wooden ceiling, pondering what he’d learned that day, and how, without his realizing it, he’d become even more determined to meet the monk that lived on Draco mountain, and even to finish The Trials.

1