Chapter Six: A Boss Battle
2k 24 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some time later…..

 

So I’ve totally not been going ballistic on every eel I’ve come across. Not one bit. I’ve actually enjoyed tea time and deep, life-altering conversations with each of them. Bob had some solid points on economic reform and even gave me tips on my credit score. Susan introduced me to the wonders that are coupons. What? Of course I didn’t know about coupons. No parents, remember? Anyways Marcus, taught me about the cruciality of time management. The list goes on and on.

 

SIKE!

 

I’ve been slaughtering every slime bucket that had the misfortune of crossing paths with me. It was pretty tough, not going to lie. Thankfully, I had quite a few advantages.

 

Firstly, a human brain. Secondly, opponents without human brains. Finally, I had Maua. Don’t tell her, but I relied on her a lot. Emotionally. Honestly, I would’ve probably gone insane if I didn’t have her to talk to. Well, more insane than I already am…..well, that’s not the point. She has quickly become a crucial part of my life. Not that I plan on admitting that, even to myself. After that whole thing in my last life, I’m strongly against having feelings towards anyone. And it’s embarrassing, you know?

 

But look, look!

 

Name:  
Race: Grey Slug
Gender: N/A
Condition: Elated
Level: 1
EXP: 982/1000  
HP: 10/10 MP: 5/5 STA: 10/10
STR: 1 INT: 5 DEX:15
Danger Rank: G-
Titles: Migrant, Loved by a Goddess, ???, ???
Racial Skills: Slime Secretion LV.1
Acquired Skills: Appraisal LV. 1, Night Vision LV. MAX
Unique Skills: Thoth

 

TA DAH!

 

My experience bar is almost filled! According to the appraisal, no grey slug has ever even leveled up. Then again, I should take this with a grain of salt. It said that grey slugs can only live one to two weeks. And look at me, going strong four weeks in, according to Maua that is. 

 

Maybe that information from appraisal is inaccurate because it's only level one? Or maybe it's based on what’s been documented? Eh, I ask Maua if it comes up in a conversation. 

 

Oh yeah, I figured out that night vision actually uses infrared light, silly me. Thoth granted me the full skill and then it maxed out in a couple of weeks, due to me being in absolute darkness constantly.

 

Anyways...there’s more pressing matters at hand. I just cleared the 19th floor, with the next floor being the last of the Hadal Zone. If it is like I think it is, I have a boss battle waiting for me. Lets see if i can get some information.

 

Maaauaaa! Can you tell me about the next level? Is there someone for me to fight? 

 

I’m not ruining the surprise. Have fun. I know you’ll enjoy it.*And I will too.*

 

Eh. Okay, if you say so. Wait what was that at the end?!

 

Ehehe~

 

Dummy laughing dummy goddess. Haaah.

 

Well, guess there's nothing left. Let’s get to it.

 

With my resolve set, I began my trek to the 20th floor. And by trek, I really mean a long walk. Or I guess a crawl or maybe a creep is more accurate in my case. Maybe it's just because I’m small but it takes literal days to get across the floors. Well whatever, I’m getting off topic.

 

*°*

 

Haah. I finally made it. That took forever. 

 

Whoa! That’s a big door. It's absolutely massive. Dark and sinister looking. The other levels didn’t even have a door. If that doesn’t scream boss room, I don’t know what does. I think I even hear a piano. I’m getting a bit nervous…

 

It’s fine, it's fine. But how do I even open this thing? I’m not exactly the strongest being ever. As a matter of fact I might actually be the weakest. Guess I have to try anyways.

 

Hnngh. Hnnghhh. HNNGGH! OPEN UP ALREADY, YOU DUMB SMELLY DOOR!

 

No matter which direction, I pull or push in, it won’t budge an inch. Grrr.

 

Maybe, it's a magical door and you have to infuse some magic into it?

 

Ehhh?! What are you, some type of genius?

 

This much is to be expected, but I won’t stop you from praising me more.~

 

Err. There’s a slight issue with your possible solution.

 

What might that be?

 

HOW THE SNAIL AM I SUPPOSED TO INFUSE IT WITH MAGIC?!

 

Well, magic is...

*°*

 

Oh, I understand now.

 

BING! 

Unique Skill Thoth has granted the acquired skill Mana Manipulation LV 1.

 

SCORE! Wait why does it say mana and not magic?

 

It says WHAT?!

 

It says mana, is there something wrong?

 

So that’s...mhmhm…. Oh, oh, it's nothing. Don’t worry about it not working. Just go ahead.

 

Eh? Okay? 

 

With that, I slid up to the door and pressed into it. Then I started funneling magic (mana?) into it. A grey magic circle popped up and started to glow. Then…

 

*CLANK* *POP*

 

AHA! It opened! 

 

This level looks similar to the nineteen before it but strikingly different.

 

Like all the ones before it, it’s very cave-like. Basically, the walls, floors, and ceiling are made of rock with different types of minerals embedded within them. Standard dungeon fare for the most part. 

 

But that’s where the similarities end. Unlike the previous floors, the structure seemed more man-made. By that I mean that, the structure is a lot smoother, and everything seems methodically placed. If I had described the first nineteen floors, I’d say they were long narrow corridors, this one at first glance would seem to be the same. But with my newly maxed Night Vision, I could see the tunnel open up into a wide space. If that doesn’t scream boss floor, I don’t know what does.

 

And sure enough, it's just as I expected. 

 

After walking through the short tunnel. Sitting in the middle of the floor was something that can only be described as a super eel.

 

Huh? That isn’t good enough? Haah, fine fine. I guess I could be more illustrious with my depiction . The eel was sleek and powerful looking. It looked like the other ones I encountered on steroids. Seriously, it was at least 12 feet (3.6 meters) long and 3 feet (1 meter) wide. It made me feel like an ant. Its body was iridescent, shimmering and glittering with every movement. Very pretty. Oh yeah, did I mention that it had TWO HEADS!

 

Oops, almost forgot. APPRAISAL! 

 

BING!

Name: Knave
Race: Tiamatian Jack Eel
Gender: Male
Condition: Good
Level: 8
EXP: 189/560  
HP: 45/45 MP: 7/7 STA: 25/25
STR: 23 INT: 7 DEX:18
Danger Rank: F-
Titles: Tiamatian Face Card
Racial Skills: Hooked Fangs LV 5, Night Vision LV. MAX
Acquired Skills: Fluid Secretion LV 4, Acid Manipulation LV. 2
Unique Skills:  

 

....?! Oi?! Isn't this too unfair?

 

I know he’s the boss and all but doesn’t he make all the rest look like shrimp? He’s got a title and even a name?! Let’s appraise that title.


BING!

Tiamatian Face Card

One of the bosses of the Tiama Dungeon. Rank is signified by the value of the card that that being represents. 

Bestows: special evolution from normal species.

Interesting. If that’s right I kind of lucked out didn’t I? A jack is the lowest face card, so this is the weakest boss I could get? Well, regardless, sitting here isn’t going to get me any results. Let’s go with the usual for eels but be wary. I don’t like those extra skills.

 

Okay.... crevice located. Next, time to piss this guy off. A little bit of slime outta do it. 

 

*PUH!*

 

Yep, that did the job. I got a feeling this is going to suck Heh, f-EELing hehe. Wait, AH!

 

I dove into the crack, ready to initiate the rest of my usual plan. Like usual, the eager fish shoved his head into the too-narrow space, only to be trapped. I spat a healthy dose of slime into the open maw of the now stuck eel. The plan was going flawlessly. Except...I’m an idiot.  

 

Instead of suffocating like the rest of the dumb fish I dealt with, the usual had little effect on this Knave fellow. A flurry of emotions overtook me, then I remember...this guy has TWO heads. Of course he wouldn’t suffocate. Is my species actually a clownfish?

 

With my plan failed, Mr. Knave launched his counterattack. His eyes flashed and then his mouth began to a purplish liquid. Then he spat. 

 

Fudge.

 

The fluid came blasting out at astounding speed. Having expected something like that to happen, I had already moved deeper into the crevice, hiding behind several protruding rocks. The blast shot through the rocks, but they slowed it down significantly. But not enough. The aqueous substance hit me and smacked me into the wall behind me, taking about 30% of my health. As I regained my senses, I noticed my health was still dropping.

 

Ah! Acid manipulation! FIDDLESTICKS. 

 

Well, that’s it. I’m going to die. 

It does seem like the slime I had spat at him diluted the acid a little bit, but it doesn’t mean anything. 

 

My HP is dropping quick….6...5...4..3...

 

Welp, this wasn’t a good life, or a long one, but I guess it wasn’t that bad either.

 

BING!

Threshold Reached

Acid Resistance LV. 1 acquired.

 

BING!

 

Threshold reached.

Acid Resistance Lv. 1 increased to Acid Resistance Lv. 2

 

Huh? Plot armor? Am I a protagonist or something? 

 

Well whatever. Now from what I gather from his status, he doesn’t have any acid resistance himself. He probably hurt himself attacking me. And after seeing him use Acid Manipulation, I totally understand it.

 

With that said...BEAM ME UP THOTHIE!

 

…Whoops. My bad.

 

BING!

Unique skill Thoth has granted the acquired skill Acid Manipulation LV. 1

 

 

Let’s go!

 

Time for some payback.

 

I gathered some more slime into my mouth. Then I thought about actively using the new skill I just got. 

 

My theory was confirmed when Thoth granted it to me. Acid Manipulation isn’t usually a stand alone skill. Unless you had some acid handy, you need some sort of substance to change into an acid. In my case, it would be my slime. To make the substance into an acid you would change the pH value. Now I doubt a dungeon monster, boss or not, would have the knowledge of the pH scale. Also, using that knowledge, I could change the pH value even after firing, negating any possible damage. 

 

So without further ado, let’s continue~

 

*PUH!*

 

A direct hit! OI! He’s melting! Literally his face is falling off. Ew. It's kind of gross.

 

Well, I guess I did change the pH to around 2. Maybe that was overkill? Oh well~

 

BING!

 

100 Experience Points earned.

 

Aw yeah, LEV-EEL UP!  Yes yes, I promise that's the last eel pun. 

 

BING!

 Threshold reached.

Unnamed being has reached LV. 2

 

 

BING!

Due to being the first of being’s species to successfully level up, becoming the most viable option for the creation of new species, being has been granted the title Progenitor

Progenitor

Bestows: A level bypass allowing instant evolution

 

What?! Serious? That’s awesome!

 

BING!

BEING’S SOUL IS TOO LARGE FOR VESSEL! COMMENCING EMERGENCY EVOLUTION IN TEN SECONDS!

 

 

WHAA?! MAUA?!

 

You’ll be fine, don’t worry. I’ll be watching over you.

 

Okay. I can't believe it myself, but I have faith that you will.

 

And for the nth time, my vision faded to black. 

73