Chapter Ten: A Risk
1.8k 12 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ugh, I’m tired of this dungeon. 

 

After the first casino floor, I felt a bit optimistic. I thought maybe new life, new luck, you know?

 

But no. Absolutely not. If anything, it got worse. 

 

That first level was a complete miracle.

 

After that? No comment. 

 

No, I’m not telling. It’s just too embarrassing.

 

Eh? What was that?

 

 Muh...fine. I’ll guess I’ll explain. No need to get personal, jeez. 

 

The following floors were literal hell. 

 

There was an assortment of different games they had me play.

 

There was Mausiurian Roulette. Which is exactly how you would expect it to be played. I don’t think I won a single round. 

 

Another level had a variety of slot machines. My personal favorite was one called the Gastropod Gamble. It just resonated with me, you know? PSYCH!

 

I couldn’t even match up two symbols, far less three of them. And to pour salt into my open wound, the desired icon was a slug.

 

See what I did there? A slug and salt? No? Not funny? 

 

Whatever, everyone’s a critic.

 

They also had poker. Which I was excited for...at first. I’m pretty confident about my poker face. Not that it matters when your hand is absolute garbage. 

 

Also, I guess anglerfishes have a killer poker face by default?

 

I’m just going to omit saying the outcome of those games. For my confidence.

 

Anyways,  let's look on the bright side….I got a new skill. Look!

 

BAM!

 

Slime Density Manipulation

 

An offshoot of the parent skill Slime Secretion. Allows the user to alter the density of the slime they secret. 

 

TA DAAAH!

 

Pretty nice if I do say so myself.

 

The rest of my skills are leveling...slowly? I don’t know, maybe it’s harder to level skills than I was expecting?

 

Oh yeah, I also leveled up a couple of times.

Name:  
Race: Joru Pa
Gender: N/A
Condition: Good
Level: 8
EXP: 450/1500  
HP: 17/17 MP: 11/11 STA: 16/16
STR: 1 INT: 10 DEX:26
Danger Rank: G+
Titles: Migrant, Loved by a Goddess, Progenitor, ???, ???
Racial Skills: Slime Secretion LV.1
Acquired Skills: Appraisal LV 1, Night Vision LV Max, Mana Manipulation LV 1, Acid Resistance LV 2, Acid Manipulation LV 1 , Slime Density Manipulation LV 1      
Unique Skills: Thoth

 

See, see. I’ve been productive. Don’t say anything about the strength stat. Please!

 

A-anyways, now I’m here. In front of the door of the twenieth floor.

 

If foreshadowing and prior experience is to be trusted, there should be a boss waiting for me on the other side of the door.

 

Some sort of super anglerfish probably? 

 

Whatever, enough random thoughts. 

 

Time to open the door. Just have to infuse a little bit of mana and….

 

*CLANK* *POP*

 

Ah. Way easier than last time. 

 

Hmm, the boss room looks pretty standar- wait. 

 

Is that a table? 

 

*SHIVER* *SHIVER*

 

I got a bad feeling… a really bad feeling.

 

Where’s the - ah. There’s the boss.

 

I’ve learned. Appraise first.

 

BING!

Name: Anassa
Race: Tiamatian Queen Anglerfish
Gender: Female
Condition: Good
Level: 9
EXP: 963/1560  
HP: 60/60 MP: 18/18 STA: 42/42
STR: 24 INT: 18 DEX:21
Danger Rank: F+
Titles: Tiamatian Face Card   
Racial Skills: Hooked Fangs LV 4, Night Vision LV. MAX
Acquired Skills: Fluid Secretion LV 3, Water Manipulation LV. 2, Magic Manipulation LV 2, Acid Resistance LV. 2
Unique Skills: Lure Split LV 3

 

Okay, she’s definitely strong. Stronger than anything I’ve encountered for sure. She even has a unique skill?!

 

As far as appearance goes, she’s like that Knave eel guy. By that I mean she’s like the super version of her normal species. And she had three light lures on her head. 

 

“Welcome challenger! To the final level of the Abyssal Zone! You’ve done well to make it this far!” Anassa chirped.

 

“In order to proceed past this floor, you must face three tasks. The first being testing your luck with a slot machine. The second will gauge your discernment with a game of Blackeel. And finally, the last one will measure your wit in the form of a riddle. Of course, if you are unsuccessful in any of these trials you will be fighting me.”

 

Fudge. A riddle I can definitely handle. Blackeel is questionable….but the slot machine is no good. And of course, it’s first. Seems like Maua is MIA too.

 

*POOF*

 

A slot machine popped into existence and Ms. Anassa appeared right next two it. 

 

“Slide right up and try your luck with the Dangle with the Angle!” she bellowed.

 

Dangle with the Angle, huh? Quite the fitting name. I guess there’s no point delaying the inevitable.

 

Mind resolute, I crawled towards the machine.

 

The machine itself seemed pretty standard.  A nice emerald green slot machine. The title shined with a golden luster. The lever had an emerald encrusted into it. 

 

“ The goal of this is just like any slot machine. Simply match the desired symbol, being the silhouette of an anglerfish, three times in a row. You will receive three chances to do this.”

 

Only three?

 

“Only three.”

 

Alright. Let's do it.  

 

I reached my antenna towards the lever and pushed down.

 

*BRA-RING GING GING ING!*

 

The first slot started to slow down, it was…. AN ANGLERFISH! 

YES!

 

*BRA-RING GING GING!*

 

The second one was a… octopus...fudge.

 

*BRANG GING ING!*

 

The third one was a crab. Who the snail cares!

 

Haah. Breath in. And out. In and out.

 

Okay… let's try this again.

 

PULL THE LEVER, KRONK!

 

Whoops. My bad, got caught up in the moment. Let’s go though.

 

*BRA-RING GING GING!*

 

The first slot was a…starfish.  Throw the whole roll away. I guess we’ll look at the other two just for the snail of it. 

 

*BRANG GING ING!*

 

The second one was an anglerfish.  No comment.

 

*BRANG GING GING!*

 

And the third one was… an anglerfish. Oi! Am I being teased?

 

Whatever… Last roll. 

 

*BRANG GING ING!*

 

An ANGLER! NOICE!

 

*BR-ANG GING GING GING!*

 

Another one? AWESOME! I only need one more!

 

*BRANG GING ING!*

 

And it’s a….. a FUDGING SLUG!

 

“Unfortunately, you didn’t  successfully complete the task. As punishment you shall fight me.” Anassa crowed.

 

Then, she literally split apart.  Super gruesome, with her insides showing. Suddenly, the parts drifted apart and healed into two separate bodies. One with one lure and the other with two. 

 

Is this what Lure Split does?

 

The one with a single stack approached me. I had a feeling I should appraise it. So I did.

 

BING!

Name: Anassa
Race: Tiamatian Queen Anglerfish
Gender: Female
Condition: Good
Level: 9
EXP: 963/1560  
HP: 20/20 MP: 6/6 STA: 14/14
STR: 8 INT: 6 DEX:7
Danger Rank: F+
Titles: Tiamatian Face Card   
Racial Skills: Hooked Fangs LV 4, Night Vision LV. MAX
Acquired Skills: Fluid Secretion LV 3, Water Manipulation LV. 2, Magic Manipulation LV 2, Acid Resistance LV. 2
Unique Skills: Lure Split LV 3

 

Eh? Did that make her like really weak?

 

Well, I won’t complain, but it’d be stupid to underestimate her. I’ll hit her with the strongest attack I can at an affordable price.

 

Let’s see, an hardened acid javelin about 10 inches long should work? Let’s try. 

 

FIRE!

 

Direct hit!

 

She’s not down though. Fire another one!

 

One more!

 

BING!

 

450 Experience points earned.

 

Phew. Looks like my suspicion was unfounded. Better safe than sorry I guess.  And I only used a little bit of mana.

 

I watched as the body dissolved into the water surrounding it.

 

“On to the game of Blackeel. Please come this way.”  Anassa boomed from across the room.

 

As I looked at her, I noticed she had three lures again...interesting.

 

I scurried to the table where the cards were already placed.

 

“I assume you already know the rules? We’ll be playing the best of three. With me acting as the house.”

 

Okay sounds good. 

 

I got a queen on the top.

 

And on the bottom… a ten. Nice.

 

“Would you like another card?”

 

No, I’m fine. 

 

Then she flipped her cards. A six and a jack. 

 

She dealt another card for herself.  It was a ten. She busted!

 

“Congratulations on your first win!”

 

Thank you, thank you.

 

The cards collected, shuffled, and then redealt. 

 

This time I got a five and an eight. 

 

“Would you like another card?” Anassa asked.

 

Hmm. Yes, please.

 

Hmm. Another five. Meaning a total of eighteen. I’ll fold.

 

“Okay.”

 

She proceeded with her cards. The first was a eight and the other was also an eight.

 

She dealt another card. It was an ace, giving her either seventeen or making her over the limit. In other words, my win.

 

I guess I’m lucky when it really matters, huh?

 

BING!

 

600 Experience points earned.

 

“You’ve done very well thus far. Now for your final test. It’s a singular riddle but you will get three chances.  Are you ready?”

 

As I’ll ever be.

 

“I can't be bought, but I can be stolen with a glance. I'm worthless to one, but priceless to two. What am I?”

 

Hmm. Hmm. HMMM. I got nothing.

 

Wait, maybe a life?

 

It can’t be bought, but in this world someone could probably kill with eye lasers or something. 

 

I would think it’d be worthless to who’d ever fire eye lasers at them… and priceless to their parents? 

 

Well either way, I’ll still have two more guesses. 

 

I’m going with ‘a life’ for five hundred.

 

“Incorrect.”

 

Then what the snail is it then?

 

And then suddenly  two faces appeared in my mind. One full of warmth and adoration sparkling in her crimson eyes. The other filled with indifference, a total ice sculpture.

 

Wah- wait does that mean I - her?! 

 

And I still have- for her?!

 

But that’s definitely the answer. 

 

"Correct." she replied with a nod. 

 

BING!

 

1500 Experience points earned.

 

Let’s put all that emotional mumbo jumbo on the back burner, I can freak out and deny everything later. It seems like Anassa wants to say something before she fades away.

 

“Great job on completing all the tasks. With this you have completed the second zone of the Tiama Dungeon. If Fortune favors it, I hope that we will meet again. I bid you farewell, courageous challenger!”

 

Charming to the end, huh? Is that like a hidden racial skill for anglerfish or something?

 

Hi. I’m back. Sorry this one took longer than usual...got some writer’s block. As compensation, and in lieu of us reaching 300 readers(WOHOO!) I’ll be uploaded some artwork to the story either tomorrow or the day after that. So if you’re interested in that, please come check on that. Other than that, have a great day.

 

66