Chapter Eleven: A Solution
1.6k 19 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

La da dee… la da daaa.

 

Hmm?

 

You’re wondering why I’m. acting so careless in a dungeon that can kill me whenever?

 

Well, that's precisely why.  I just finished the last zone, and I’m headed towards the next one. If my memory serves me correctly, this one is the Midnight Zone?

 

I’d say it sounds spooky, but I think the Hadal Zone has it beat.Anyways, I’m getting off topic. 

 

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve ever recieve goes as follows,  expect the unexpected, but don’t expect what you thought of to actually be right.

 

So it’s not that I haven’t given what will happen next any thought, but rather, I’m prepared to have my expectations blown out of the water.

 

A fitting analogy, seeing as I’ve been stuck in this watery hell.

 

Oops. Looks like we arrived while I was lost in thought. 

 

Hmm. Seems like a standard magic door. 

 

Let;s open it real quick.

 

*POP* *CLANK*

 

So, what type of challenges does the Midnight Zone have?

 

Maybe some food challenges? Ugh. 

 

Oh no! What if they make me eat a bunch of salty food?

 

That’s instant death isn’t it?

 

Isn’t that against the rules?

 

Fine, fine. 

 

Even I’ll admit that I need to take this more seriously.

 

Anyways, as I proceeded through the door, a figure skirred close to me. 

 

Reflexively, I formed an acid spell and prepared to fire it, but the started flailing a white flag around in its claws. 

 

Seeing this action made me hesitate and take a closer look at the creature in front of me.

 

There was a hard red exoskeleton surrounding the entirety of its body.  The pre-mention white flag was held in big meaty claws. Beady black eyes seem to stare straight through me.

 

It was a… yep, a crab. I feel like there was some foreshadowing on this… maybe I’m just imagining. Whatever. 

 

Noticing that I wasn’t going to attack, Crab-san tossed the flag away.

 

Then they reached up, and pulled some signs out of seemingly thin air (water?) and  waved them emphatically.

 

Wait, does it want me to read them?

 

Seemingly understanding my non vocalized question, Crab-san responded with a full body nod… I guess its head is pretty much its whole body… lets not dwell on that.

 

I set my gaze to the sign and attempted to read it. Surprisingly, it was in a language from the world of my past life… that was interesting.

 

“Greetings, hopeful dungeon conqueror.” it read.

 

As I finished reading the text, the crab threw the card. Huh… that’s interesting. How did they know… wait… THEY CAN READ MY MIND?!

 

I’m getting a strange sense of deja vu. 

 

Anyways, I should probably keep on reading.

 

“Congratulations on making it to the Twilight Zone…With this achievement...You have made it further than over three out of  four of all challengers…”

 

Whoa, over three out of four? That’s what...75 percent? Geez. Sorry, sorry lets keep reading.

 

“...On this floor, we will test your decision making...There is a set of six vials…In five of these vials...There is a deadly poison...Your objective is to consume…The correct vial…”

 

Hmm. I see, it seems straightforward enough.

 

SIKE!

 

Whadda mean I just have to consume the right one?! 

 

Haah. It’s not the right time to freak out. Let’s think.

 

I see the vials. 

 

At first glance, they look the exact same. Same color. Same odor. Same consistency. 

 

So it seems like I won’t be getting any clues from the physical aspects.

 

Let’s look at it magically? I learned how to sense magic when Maua taught me Mana Manipulation.

 

And...nothing there…

 

Time for plan C. Ask Maua. 

 

Maauaaaa!

 

 

Hmm. She must be busy...that’s interesting. Guess I gotta do this myself.

 

Hmm. Wait, I got something!

 

But first I gotta confirm.

 

Crab-san, the objective was to consume the correct vial right?

 

They replied with  another body nod.

 

Awesome. 

 

I immediately fired acid slime at all of the vials, melting them instantly.

 

See the trick was, in the instructions they used the word consume.

 

Most people would think consume means  to eat or drink something.

 

However, it could also mean to complete destroy or use up something.

 

Like I just did.

 

MUHAHAHA! Yes! A successful evil laugh.

 

BING!

950 Experience points earned.

 

As I was feeling good about my recent accomplishments, Crab-san started waving another sign at me.

 

“Congratulations on succeeding…You completed the objective in a way... Not thought of before as such... We would like to give you a special reward.”

 

A special reward? I won’t say no to that.

 

So what is it?

 

*FWOOSH*  *BAM*

 

Suddenly, a bright pink crystal embedded itself on the floor. 

 

Interested, I moved closer to the object.

 

Something in my brain urged me to touch it, so I did.

 

UGH!

 

A sudden energy flowed into me, causing pain but also something else. Something I can’t really explain. As I absorbed the energy, the crystal slowly dissipated. 

 

BING!

 

??? of the ???  acquired.

 

What the snail is ‘??? of the ???’?

 

BING!

 

Due to a recent acquisition, ??? of the ??? evolution is possible.

 

Oho ho ho~

 

I was expecting to have to grind out that last level, this is a quite welcome surprise.

 

Now, let’s take a look at these evolution options…

 

BING!

Chromo Lochi

 

A blue, white, and black striped sea slug. Is a herbivore by nature. No affinity for any attributes is known. Has average stats in every category.

 

Estimated Lifespan: 10 - 20 years

 

Size: 6 to 16 inches

 

Evolutions:  Good future evolutionary path

 

Danger Rank: F

 

Ugh, this one again? What the snail. If I didn’t choose it the first time, why would I now?

 

BING!

 

Sagamin Orna

 

A purple sea slug with wing-like appendages . Is an omnivore by nature. No affinity for any attributes is known. Has average stats in every category, except for its high dexterity.

 

Estimated Lifespan: 15 - 30 years

 

Size:  3 to 7 inches

 

Evolutions:  Great future evolutionary path

 

Danger Rank: F+

 

Ooh. This one is good. Real good.

 

BING!

 

Hypse Calif

 

A black and blue sea slug speckled with gold. Is a carnivore by nature. Has an affinity for the darkness element. Has average stats in every category, except for its high magic power.

 

Estimated Lifespan: 15 - 30 years

 

Size:  7 to 17 inches

 

Evolutions:  Great future evolutionary path

 

Danger Rank: F+

 

 

Dang. This one sounds pretty flipping good too.

BING!

 

Cra Grina

 

A white sea slug with glowing crystal like appendages. Is a carnivore by nature. No affinity for any attributes is known. Has above average stats in every category. 

 

Estimated Lifespan: 20 - 45 years

 

Size: 6 to 16 inches

 

Evolutions:  Great future evolutionary path

 

Danger Rank: F+

 

 

Oooh. I really like this one. I feel like it's got more than the description says. 

 

Anyways, I choose...

Hi, I'm back. A bit later than expected, I know I know. Sorry I got sick, and then ended up getting some writer's block. But its all good now, I'm motivated and read! I'm probably working on the next chapter as you read this.. . Anyways, I want to address this dungeon arc. Its seeming to last a lot longer than I wanted it to, probably because it takes me a long time to come out with a chapter, but fortunately we only have about 5 to 6 more chapters left. So please bear with me until then. I think that's all I have, so have a great day!

Which evolution would you select?
  • Chromo Lochi Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sagamin Orna Votes: 41 23.6%
  • Hypse Calif Votes: 29 16.7%
  • Cra Grina Votes: 103 59.2%
Total voters: 174
55