Chapter Fourteen: A Trip Down Memory Lane
1.3k 6 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I’d like to think this dungeon has taught me quite a few lessons.

 

Whether or not that is actually the case, there is one undoubtable take away…

 

I.

 

Regret.

 

Nothing.

 

And I mean that seriously. After these last levels I think I’m impervious. To embarrassment and guilt, that is.

 

I’m convinced this dungeon has it out for me. And also I’m going to have trouble sleeping, and that will have nothing to do with insomnia…

 

Wait, do slugs even get insomnia? All I’ve taken in all this time was power naps, so I don’t really know.

 

Anyways…I’m getting off topic. This zone is my new least favorite thing… right after that former sperm donor of mine.

 

Imagine reliving that time that the waiter told you to enjoy your meal, and you replied ‘you too’. 

 

Imagine reliving the time you made a joke, and thought that others were laughing with you, but they weren’t. 

 

Imagine how you feel doing a self-introduction on the first day of school. 

 

Imagine saying goodbye and going in the same direction. 

 

Now take all those awkward feelings and all the others you felt, and imagine experiencing them in slow motion. 

 

With the emotions you feel absolutely intensified.

 

That’s the pain and suffering that I’ve dealt with. 

 

Each time, I had two options to choose from in order to proceed. 

 

One was to accept the regret that I felt from whatever instance and then let that feeling go away.

 

The other was to willingly continue harboring those feelings, and as a result combat the angelfish present at the time.

 

It’s taken forever to get to this final level, but I'm here now.

 

Level 20 of the Twilight Zone, I have high expectations for you.

 

So, come at you with all you got.

 

Let’s open this door and see what’s happening.

 

*CLANK* *POP*

 

And it's…it’s…!

 

Oh, it’s….him.

 

A very tall and muscular man with an aura of intimidation.

 

A head of messy jet black hair and a massive beard engulfing his face.

 

Eyes the same color as the hair, but the darkness does nothing to hide the cruelty within them.

 

His face warped in a perpetual state of disdain.

 

Ah, that’s nostalgic. 

 

The bane of my childhood.

 

An abomination.

 

Scum.

 

To think at one point ,I wanted love and attention from this thing.

 

Yep, you guessed it…the man in front is my f-

 

My fa-…

 

My fath-

 

Ugh. My stomach turns just trying to say it.

 

Guilius Banks.

 

My sperm donor. That’s more credit than this creature deserves but, let’s go with that. 

 

“You, boy. You took ever-“ he started.

 

Ah. I’ll stop you right there.

 

“…”

 

So almighty dungeon, serious question …is this a troll?

 

It’s got to be right?

 

There’s absolutely nothing I regret involving that thing, other than the fact that I share genetic information with him.

 

Wait, actually, that’s not even true anymore is it? Seeing as I’m a slug formed seemingly from some remnant magic or something.

 

So, I’ll ask again, is this a joke?

 

Going once…

 

Going twice…

 

SOLD! To this gorgeous gastropod.

 

I’ll take the silence as a no. In that case, can you do me a favor?

 

Call an ambulance…BUT NOT FOR ME!

 

“Now listen here, boy. You are a-” Mr. Banks shouted.

 

Ugh…hearing his voice is bad on its own, but when he says boy it really makes my skin crawl.

 

Let's get rid of him quickly.

 

An acid javelin should do it.

 

*FWOOSH*

 

The javelin connected with his chest, dissolving his shirt and ribcage, and giving me a clear view of his internal organs.

 

Low and behold, the blade of the kitchen knife was still embedded in his heart.

 

An A+ for attention to detail dungeon, I’m quite impressed.

 

Hmm? Shouldn’t his body be fading away or something?

 

“How didn’t that work?! I was sure you’d regret something with your father! All the intel said so!”

 

Suddenly the sludgy mess became a midnight black anglerfish, livid with emotion.

 

…No. Your intel is trash, my dude.

 

At my provocation, the angelfish began swimming back and forth, like a boss who just received bad news.

 

I took this opportunity to appraise him.

Name: Meister
Race: Tiamatian Ace Angelfish
Gender: Male
Condition: Irritated
Level: 16
EXP: 4790/5680  
HP: 60/90 MP: 20/25 STA: 45/45
STR: 23 INT: 31 DEX:42
Danger Rank: E
Titles: Tiamatian Face Card   
Racial Skills: Night Vision LV. MAX
Acquired Skills: Water Manipulation LV. 2, Magic Manipulation LV 2, Acid Resistance LV. 2
Unique Skills: Ace In The Hole LV. 3

 

Name: Meister

Hmm. Pretty similar stats to that crab guy…what was his name…? Eh, it doesn’t matter, all I know is I would rather not fight this guy. But it seems that destroyed a third of his health.

 

“Kuku…That’s okay, I’ll get you this time. TAKE TWO. ACTION!” the angelfish, apparently named Meister, shouted.

 

And the scene changed…literally. This guy in the wrong profession, he’d make a killer movie director.

 

Suddenly, I was back in the airplane. The place of my heartbreak and my death.

 

It felt real, also as if I had time travel back…but I’m still a slug, so obviously not.

 

So, I’m on that plane…that can only mean one person.

 

Sariah. 

 

And sure enough, the beautiful ice queen was sitting on the other side of me.

 

I must say, Meister-san, this is a much better attempt.

 

She was just like I remembered, a dazzling beauty, one that attracts stares from anyone, regardless of age or gender. 

 

Her emerald green eyes sparkled with a glare that could freeze a forest fire over.

 

“…”

 

Not going to say anything, eh? That’s an intriguing strategy, but it won’t work. 

 

You’ve made another mistake, Mr. Meister. 

 

While I won’t deny that I harbor regrets about Sariah, you misplaced those feelings lie.

 

“EH?!” Meister bellowed in Sariah’s voice.

 

Allow me to explain.

 

What I truly regret is the fact that I got involved and swayed by her in the first place. 

 

Seeing this fake image of her in front of me doesn’t really spark any regret.

 

If it was actually her maybe it would be different?

 

Well, that’s a question that will probably never be answered…

 

Anyways, I feel pretty settled about it, no thanks to a certain coconut head.

 

So I believe this round goes to me as well Meister.

 

“Fine. I know when I’m beat. BUT you know what they say…THIRD TIME’S THE CHARM!”

 

Once again, the scene switched.

 

And this time it’s… hah?

 

Who’s this?

 

Standing in front of me is another gorgeous lady. Light brown hair and chocolate eyes that you could just melt into. And her smile. Man, her smile. It’s undoubtedly the most radiant thing I’ve ever seen. It shines brighter than the sun.

 

Hmm, why do I feel like I’ve seen that smile before?

 

Maybe she’s a model from some dental magazine I saw in my past? No…that doesn’t seem right.

 

 

Oh. I got it. Wow. You did your thing on this one…Did you activate that Ace In The Hole skill or something?

 

The house that I lived in as a child was barren of any keepsakes. No pictures or artwork on the walls, no photo albums, and no video tapes. 

 

At first I thought it was normal, until I visited a classmate's house and saw the difference. 

 

Inspired by what I saw, I began searching my home for any pictures. 

 

After days of scouring, I stumbled across a picture of a lovely lady. She had a dazzling smile that drew you in even though the photo. I liked the picture so much, I kept it as my prized possession.

 

Unfortunately that didn’t last very long, as Mr. Sperm Donor caught me looking at it one day, so he beat me senseless and burned the photo.

 

His response made it click in my mind who the woman in the photo was.

 

And that very lady was standing before.

 

My mother.

 

This one hurts.

 

I technically killed her. I would’ve loved to meet her, even just once. Gave her a hug, or a kiss on her forehead.  

 

But there’s nothing I can do. She died. Shoot, I died myself. I'm not really sure how this reincarnation stuff works. But, I just hope wherever she is, she’s happy.

 

“So….so….” Meister whispered.

 

Uh, you okay Mr. Meister?

 

“SO TOUCHING! GAH. I concede. YOU WIN!” he shouted. “Please proceed.”

 

Well…okay!

New chapter! Wooo hoooohhh! This one took a while because of writer’s block so I’m quite proud of it. Oh yeah, next chapter will be the final dungeon chapter so, look forward to that! That’s all for now! Enjoy your day! Bye!!

 

62