003 – Information Broker
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 - Yorik Silverbeard

“Captain, we’ve arrived at Gentun!” Came the voice of Berry from outside Yorik’s Cabin. Yorik stood up to move towards the door, a stern look on his face.

“You’re really going after Commodore Neely, aren’t you?” Bodil looked at her husband from behind with concern. “You better know what you’re doing, you have the lives of 300 men on your hands.”

“You know I came here to get information on the ship, and I know that our ship could take them down. I cannot let someone that would let,” Yorik choked on his words. “That, happen under his command.”

“And it upsets me too Yorik, but hunting him down may not be the right move. You can always petition his government to charge him with such a-”

“You know damn well that Astrans don’t care about anybody other than their people!” Yorik cut her off. He heaved a heavy sigh. “I will only take volunteers with me, and I ask that you stay here in Gentun until I get back. I don’t want to risk you.”

“I’m not going to do that, you need a doctor on board to heal the wounded. I am a life magic user you know, and I promised you that I would follow you to hell if it came to it.” Bodil hugged Yorik from behind.

“I know, but you are the best life mage that I know, and Violet needs you here.” Bodil looked conflicted. Yorik knows that she considers the crew part of her family. “Besides,” he began to reassure her, “the apprentice that you took on should be able to perform emergency first aid, and keep anyone alive that can be kept alive. You said you were confident of that last week. Consider this a test.”

“A test with actual consequences.”

“And a test she has passed before. Yes she will be alone, but would you rather Violet have a lame arm her entire life? She’s untried at long term healing, and we know the mages here aren’t capable of that.”

Bodil still looked conflicted, but she got a look in her eye as she made a decision, “You’re right. I will stay to help Violet. You better return my love, or I will never let you rest.”

Yorik kissed Bodil’s forehead, “I can’t make that a promise, but know that I will try my hardest. You’ll drag me out of hell if you absolutely needed to.” Bodil kissed him lovingly and Yorik kissed her back.

Yorik stepped out onto the deck after sharing a loving moment with his wife and called for all hands. “Men, I intend to pursue a monster. But this monster goes by the name of Commodore Neely. He allowed a little elven girl to be defiled on his ship for who knows how long before casting her aside. I know this is a dangerous mission, that is why I am only taking volunteers. If we survive this mission you will be compensated greatly for your deeds. If you wish to not attend this mission, I will not judge you. He is the skipper of the Galleon known as Castronald after all. If you’re out, please be off the ship by the time we set sail in 4 hours. That is all.” After Yorik finished his speech, he found his first mate. Bodil will be staying ashore to watch the kid.”

Berry looked at him surprised. Bodil wouldn’t usually leave the ship, especially knowing a battle was coming up.

The smell of fresh bread came to him as the door to the bakery on the shore opened its door to let out excess heat. Yorik walks down the gangplank onto the dock and surveys the location of where he is this time. The island of Gentun, if you can call it one, was barely a cay. In fact, the man made docks surrounding the island held more area than the island itself. That does not make it any less of a bustling city though, with different types of businesses. Not being part of a formal country makes it rife with traders who want to make more of a profit not paying heavy tariffs, or even those traders who trade goods that aren’t exactly legal. 

After Yorick left the ship he went to seek out the information broker. Noone knows who the information broker is, they only speak through a proxy, a secretary if you will. Yorick doesn’t even know how they even get their information, just that they always have information of any ship that is in the sea. He has heard a few rumors, but he doubts any of them are true. Some say they are a spymaster who has spies on every ship that send him regular reports. Others say that they are a powerful summoner who has familiars everywhere. Then there are those who believe in the legends of the clairvoyants, the ancient order of seers who can see the future. Yorick doesn’t know for sure, but he knows that the information given is worth the steep price paid for it. The building that the information broker uses to conduct their business in looks like a cross between a barn and a shanty. Most buildings on the island are like that, with a few sturdier buildings using tar to seal the planks so a draft doesn’t form. 

He walked in and was greeted with the familiar waiting room. A short desk towards the back of the room with a chair on either side, a door right by it leading deeper into the building, and a few chairs along the wall with the door Yorik just came through. Overall it isn’t that big of a room.

“I came to request for some information,” he stated in the lobby of the building where the broker supposedly resides.

“Certainly sir, what information are you looking for?” replied the new secretary. This one was a young gnomish woman, she had a smile that brightened the entire room. The broker certainly liked young people for their secretary, last time was a young dwarvish lad, Yorik thought to himself.

“I need information about the whereabouts of the Castronald.”

“Ah yes, and as you know, finding a ship is 1000 Crones or equivalent curre-” Thunk. A heavy bag full of coins landed on the table in front of her. “Ah, the Castronald you said. I will be right back.” She took the sack full of coins and headed deeper into the building. 

Yorik waited in the lobby as was the standard procedure. 1000 Crones is more than he made in two months, but the price was worth it in order to hunt such a monster. He had plenty of money being the captain of a ship of 300, but most of those were dedicated to wages. If there were no bounties he could collect from the Castronald, he would have to take some heavier contracts soon or he would risk losing his ship.

“Ah, sorry I took so long,” the secretary stated, arriving back in the lobby. 

“Oh it’s no worry, normally it takes a bit longer.” Yorick replied politely. In reality she was gone a bit longer than normal, but it wasn’t the longest he had to wait.

“Well, here is the sea chart with the current location of the Castronald and it’s projected heading, and here is your change.” She handed him his sack of coins back, which was a bit lighter, and a rolled up piece of vellum.

“Change!?” Yorick replied confused. “I gave you 1000 crones even.”

“A yes, but the broker corrected me on what you were hunting. They said you’re not looking for a ship, but a monster. The price for monsters is half the price. Also, there’s a bounty placed on the ship by the Thatopian Crown. Apparently it’s been raiding cities and have killed many citizens.” She hands Yorik a second scroll. “Of course, once the bounty is collected, you do owe us half, as is the arrangement.”

“Heh,” Yorik chuckled. “So they knew.” He turned around leaving the building and returned to the ship. He had an hour left before they set sail again. That hour passed with him studying the chart he was given, as well as the bounty. The bounty was a sizable 5000 crones! Even after paying half to the broker, he would be living comfortably for a while. He compared the chart the broker gave him to his own chart of the sea. He came to a horrible realization of where the child came from. It must’ve been Shelarion. 

“But how?” he mumbled to himself. “We were only there 2 weeks ago. How can the Castronald get there and away so quickly?”

“Captain, we’re about to set sail.” Berry called.

Yorick snapped out of his disbelief and left the cabin. “How many men stayed behind.” 

“There are only 10 heads not accounted for.”

“Good, that means we still have about 300 good men on the ship.” He handed Berry a heading. “Give this to the helmsman.”

“Aye sir.”

1