052 God favor. Now.
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zagreus woke to his whole body in a dull pain. His muscles felt like stone as he tried to move.

*Stay still.* Lilithana sent him.

He sent a vague agreement. The assortment of medical equipment he was hooked to helped with that decision.

Rezu appeared in his room, less than a minute later.

He’s alive! Zagreus’ mouth was a desert. He choked out, “Gwenyr?” He doubted Rezu understood, but he knew the question was coming.

“Your wife was fixed up and sent home days ago. She is safe. The child is fine too. You’ve been out for ten days yourself.” Rezu got him some water.

After a couple glasses he said. “Is that monster really dead?”

“Completely. Burned beyond healing.”

“Good.” He shook his head. “How is everyone else?”

“Karimere and Jade are back on their feet. They are taking it easy for a while. Cinder was on a double stim bender when she caught you. That is hell on a body. She should be up in a day or so.”

His jaw dropped, “Jade fought too?” He thought he had felt her presence, but knowing she had to face that monster was another thing entirely.

“She got the kill. But this was a team effort.”

He let out a long breath. “And what a team. Cinder was amazing in her full battle glory. I’ve never been so happy to see her pissed off.”

Rezu laughed. “Jade told me what you did to get Cinder’s attention.”

“Desperate times man, desperate times.”

“I am disappointed I missed out on all the fun.”

“You were there too. Your despoilers worked wonderfully. They saved my life. You should have heard Gessil screaming when I stuck’em in her.”

“I would have given anything to really be there.” Rezu’s voice got quiet. “I am sorry for leaving you back there. I really feel like hell about it.”

“You protected Gwenyr. She was dead without you.”

“I know. I understand. But you are the Eleventh. You and Jade are more important than Gwenyr, more important any of us. And I left you alone with Gessil. Then Jade had to fight her after Cinder fell.” Rezu groaned. “If Gessil had survived Jade’s attack, all three of you could be dead and everything we worked for would be wasted.”

Zagreus looked him in his eyes, “Still. I thank you.”

“That never should have happened in the first place. I can’t believe I fell for that trap. I was supposed to be there to guide and protect you. I fucked up.” Rezu trembled for a moment then calmed himself. “I killed the heretics who betrayed us and had their heads impaled along the road to the keep.”

“Rule three.” Zagreus smiled.

Rezu nodded. “I have the lord in a holding cell. He is all yours.”

Zagreus had the urge to run down there and tear the bastard’s throat out. But a mortal seemed far less important after facing Gessil. He would deal with the Lord, eventually. “Thanks, but I want to get everything else settled first.”

“Good plan.”

Zagreus looked at the grey, and quite stained, test subject clothes Rezu wore. “You look a bit underdressed, God of Fashion. Did they punish you?”

“No. With everyone recovering, we are a bit short handed, I got stuck helping. I don’t mind, but I am not about to ruin my good clothes working here.”

“Why am I not in a tank?”

“You didn’t have any major bone fractures. And I think it would be best for you to see for yourself. Let me help you up.” Rezu disconnected all the medical stuff. That was fun. Rezu helped him slowly stand and walk over to the sink and mirror.

Gwenyr’s ‘Love Eternal’ bite had become a tattoo of lavender teeth marks on the left side of his neck. Braided bands stretched around his neck like a collar mixing aqua and lavender. Both of the love marks on his shoulders were healed and barely visible as fresh skin.

“Dammit.”

Rezu laughed, “You don’t fuck up by half do you?”

“Explain.” He pointed.

“That is Love Eternal. Most only ever get a hint of that. Many will even have it tattooed on. You, my unfortunate friend, got the genuine version. Both partners have to have some arcane ability and both have to care deeply for each other for it to do that. The healing tank could have damaged it before it was complete, so you got bed meds.”

“I like Gwenyr, but barely know her.”

The cat-man shrugged, “Maybe it was the sailing trip or the near death experience. I don’t know, but it’s there.”

“Cinder cannot see this. I need to come up with a…”

The door opened. She panted, naked and dripping. “Zagreus! You’re alive! I had a horrible nightmare! Someone kept telling me you were dying and I couldn’t save…” Infernal Cinder froze, staring at him.

“Please no.” He whimpered.

“DIE!” The room glowed orange for an instant then all light drained into blackness. Everything hurt, his skin sizzled. He collapsed and his head bounced off the floor. He felt Lilithana’s presence, holding lethal intent. Everything was a confusing mass of movement and sound. The door shut and things faded back to normal.

Zagreus growled to Rezu from the floor. “Can you stop Lilithana?”

“Lili only stops if she wants to stop. And I she looked far beyond talking to.”

“I’ll try.” He groaned to himself and sent. *Lilithana. Stop this.*

*NO! Cinder is being punished, it is none of your concern.*

*She is my betrothed.*

There was a hesitation then she sounded even more adamant. *You said were not going to marry us all! So now you plan to marry two?!*

His head was pounding. *Just stop. Give me some time.*

*I will give her back when I am done with her. She cannot continue to endanger the mission. She cannot continue to endanger you. She did not choose. She lost control again. She must be punished. Rest. I will find you later. You have many dates to make up.* And with that Lilithana’s presence vanished.

“DAMMIT!” He refocused. *Karimere. God Favor. Now.*

*Hello Shadowbane. What do you want for your god favor?* She sent softly, pleasantly.

*Time. I want a meeting with all the mecromancers and Gwenyr present. Until then Cinder stays safely in the room across the hall from me. Keep her mecromail powered off. Give me a day to learn to walk again and we can have the meeting the next day. Whatever time is good for Gwenyr.*

*You think you can fix all of this with talk?*

*I hope so.* He sighed. *And what was that promise you wanted from me?*

*Don’t worry about that nonsense.* She giggled. *This should be interesting.*

He held a hand out Rezu. “I bought some time. Can you help me up?”

Rezu helped up into a chair, “Do I need to leave now? Or does this plan have some chance of success.”

“I think it will work.” There was screaming and swearing and insults coming down the hall. They got louder and closer. The voice muffled a bit as the offender was sealed in across the hall. “Well, I hope.”

“I told you I would help, but I can’t win a real fight with either of them.” Rezu said. “If Cinder has a dozen days to calm down, I can try to talk to her, maybe.”

“Less than two.”

“Did Gessil hit you on the head?”

“I don’t think so, but she did pin me against a column and ask me move my cock around inside her, while she was licking and sniffing me.” He shuddered, “I have never felt so dirty, and I have rolled in corpses to hide my scent.” He looked at Rezu. “How could you? That’s just nasty.”

Rezu smirked. “I regret ever talking to you.”

The door opened. Jade rushed in. “You’re awake.”

He felt relief at seeing her, but his predatory instincts noticed the subtle change in her movements from her injuries. She was doing her best to hide the pain. He smiled. “I heard you are the big hero who saved us all from the evil monster.”

She sheepishly squirmed, “You used my knives and Cinder impaled her into a wall. I only made sure she stayed down. I don’t feel like I did that much.”

Rezu put a hand on her shoulder. “Gessil had plagued us for two millennia. Touching that monster and surviving is an accomplishment. But making sure she was dead is something I cannot thank you enough for. I will make you anything you want, whenever you need it. You have my eternal gratitude.”

She threw her arms around him and kissed his cheek. “Thank you!”

Rezu said. “I have a hundred other things to do. Can you help lover boy here? He was so starved for attention he was out there trying to get a hot date with Gessil, while everyone else was fighting.”

“Hey! That’s completely uncalled for.” Zagreus said.

Rezu left laughing while Jade tried, and failed, to act serious. “I ran across a mountain to save you, and you were trying to get laid?”

He stuck his nose up and huffed, “I was busy accidently teleporting into low orbit, thank you very much.”

She sounded somber, “At least you didn’t pop up inside the ground or something.”

“I went to meet some fancy mortals and ended up in a full blown Mecromancer battle royal. I am just glad everyone is safe.”

She moved to his side and threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tight. She spoke softly. “I am glad you are safe too. I am glad we are talking again. I am glad you showed me your memories. I would not know Mom without you. I will always be your Kitten.”

“Are you ok?” He said as he realized she had ignored the fact that he was quite naked.

She let go and stood back. “Yea. Spending days in a healing tank gives you a lot of time to think. And being in a healing tank as a shadowcat sucks something awful. It completely ruined my fur. Lili shaved little spots all over. And I can’t even lick myself clean. It’s like I rolled in some nasty glue.”

He laughed. “Can you help me to the shower?”

“Do I look like your nurse-maid?” She huffed playfully.

“Lilithana and Cinder will probably try to kill me on sight. I don’t want to be naked near Karimere right now. And Rezu just shoved the job off on you.”

“I will, but this is work.” She helped him to the shower then helped him dress afterwards.

They sat down to eat.

Jade asked, “Is that Cinder I sense in my old room? What happened?”

“Cinder’s punishment nonsense. But it’s on hold for now.”

“So what is that thing on your neck? When did you have time to get a tattoo?”

“It’s called Love Eternal. It’s an arcane marriage bond. Gwenyr bit me and it appeared.”

Jade covered her grin.

“And before you laugh, remember Cinder is across the hall and I’m trying to fix things.”

She contained herself and nodded slowly. “I knew you could be stupid but at this point I think you are trying to set records. You barely know Gwenyr.”

“Rezu says this wouldn’t show up if we didn’t care for each other.”

“All heart and no brain.” Jade shook her head.

“I need you to talk to Cinder for me. Tell her I meant what I said by the lake.”

“Again, why am I getting stuck with the job?”

“Rezu refused. I think it best to leave him out anyway. I need to go talk to the others myself. Please. Go over there and talk to her. Or just listen and let her vent. I need her calmer if I am going to get her out of more punishment.”

“I’ll try.”

“I am calling a meeting with everyone soon. You need to think about what you want.”

“What do you mean?”

He looked her in the eyes. “You know exactly what I mean.”

She looked him over with her deep green eyes for a long moment and said firmly.  “Zagreus.”

“Yes?”

“Are you seriously trying to get with me after not talking to me for a year?”

He looked away. “I am giving you the choice.”

Her face twisted, “The choice if I want to join your harem or let you continue to fuck my girlfriend without me?”

Girlfriend? Does Jade really care for Karimere? A knot was quickly growing in his stomach. He hadn’t even had to time to think about how things would affect her. There was nothing he could say. He stared at his plate and ate in silence.

Jade eventually sent. *I don’t blame you. Karimere gave you no choice. If I need to be mad with anyone, it is her.*

He glanced up to see a tear fall into her plate. He sent. *I didn’t know you were serious with her. Lilithana said it was just physical.*

She wiped her eyes, *My time with Karimere has been… interesting. I thought of it as a game, a bit of fun, a distraction. I fully expected her to find someone else to play with one day, but that was always in the future… far away. I didn’t expect it to be so soon. And I was not prepared for it to be you.*

He swallowed hard and sent. *I’m sorry. I never wanted to hurt you.*

*I know.* Jade sighed, * The first time I really thought about what I wanted with Karimere was when Rezu offered to introduce me others. It was then I realized that I didn’t want to leave her. Maybe I do care for Karimere.*

*Oh…* This would complicate things even further.

She set down her fork and smiled at him and sent. *You plan to make the same offer to all five of us, don’t you.*

He felt his cheeks glowing.

A little laugh escaped her lips. *Damn, you really are a sentimental fool. You are trying to be everything to everyone, no matter the cost to yourself.*

He nodded slowly.

*Go make all your offers, then fix this shit so I can stop worrying about you getting hurt because of my stupid punishment game.*

*Even Karimere?*

*Yes. Don’t worry about me. I will think about what I want from you, and Rimmer.* She smirked, *Maybe I will ignore both of you and go find me a cute infernal to play with. There is something about the horns, wings and claws that I really like.*

He chuckled.

She sighed. *When I first went to Rimmer’s room she told me that she wanted me. It felt so good to be wanted.* She stood, stretched her back slowly with her braless nipples showing through her shirt. Then she leaned over in front of him and licked her lips teasingly as she gave him a view down her hanging collar.

He swallowed. In the year that they had spent apart, Kitten had certainly matured. Her nervousness was completely gone.

Jade whispered. “Tell me Zagreus, do you want me? Does your offer come with your burning desire?”

He took a deep breath. “I care about you and want you happy. But if you accept my offer, I think we both will need time to get to know each other again.”

“I will take that as a ‘no’, for now.” She cupped his cheek in her hand while she kissed the other. “No matter what I choose, I will always love you Zaggy. You saved me and took care of me.”

He hugged her. “I understand. I love you too, Kitten.”

She left with a clear sway in her hips.

They grow up so fast. He finished eating and was starting to feel functional again.

***

Zagreus found himself in front of Karimere’s door. It opened.

She was in aerial form, sitting inside her smoke box. The side opened and thick curls of smoke poured out of it. She was stretched out on a little couch. “Hello Shadowbane. Did you come back for more? I will play, but I’m not handing out more god favors.”

“What you did to me was messed up.”

“I recall you doing a lot to me. You were violent. Feral. Unhinged. You hurt me in ways I had forgotten existed… Do it again.”

“Can you stop that? I am trying to talk seriously.”

“Mecromancers have to train to their limits. You had covered the basics so a full stress exercise was called for. The fact that I found it enjoyable was merely a benefit.”

“You damn near got me killed. You threatened the mission.”

The word ‘mission’ hit like a knife. She hopped to her feet and scowled at him. She huffed, straightened up, walked out of the smoke box, and bowed. She spoke in a controlled tone, forcing the words out. “I. Am. Sorry. It got out of hand. I… got out of hand. That power of yours is like a drug. After so long of feeling almost nothing. I suddenly felt everything.”

“Are you ok?”

She turned to the side. “I haven’t felt this weak or confused in forever. I would never let anyone else hear me talk like this. Please never repeat it. They count on me being strong and sure.”

“I won’t say anything. But why are you telling me?”

“After what we did together, what we felt together, I know I can trust you. I am thoroughly disappointed in myself. I let Lili claim you, Cinder has your heart and now you wear that thing around your neck. I was only able to get you through threatening those you care about. To make it worse, I feel bad about it and I don’t know why.”

He nodded. “Can you tell me what the promise thing was about? It seemed pretty important.”

“No.”

“I would threaten to beat it out of you but you would enjoy that.”

She didn’t speak or move.

He had expected her typical teasing, but her not being perverted was somehow more disturbing. “I am trying to help you.”

“I wanted you to promise to always tell me ‘no’. If I had that promise I would not be willing to violate it through my normal methods. I would be protected from you, or, more precisely, protected from myself trying to manipulate you. If I had that promise I could force myself to stop my constant advances.”

“If you didn’t hit on me our conversations would be quite short, and boring.”

She faced him and looked up at him with a smirk.

“How about I promise not to let it get that far again? No broken bones and mindless depravity.”

“What do you mean ‘again’?”

He smiled, “I’ll see you at the meeting,” and headed for the door. The walls and door turned into a familiar purple mosaic. He turned back to see Karimere standing in her susneran form dressed in a formal looking white dress.

She stood tall but he could sense her unease. “Shadowbane…” His name hung in the air, “What do you mean by ‘again’?”

“It means I will give you a choice. But I won’t ever let things happen like they did last time.”

“Will you do the pain thing with your power again?”

“Maybe. Sometimes.”

“Will you do it for me now?” She gave a soft smile.

He stepped up and gently put his hand around her throat. “No.” He sent a wave of soft sensations, like countless feathers slowly caressing her.

She let out a disappointed sigh, “That’s… interesting.” She removed the wards on the wall.

“I need to go for now. You should think about what you want.” He turned to leave again.

She grabbed him from behind and held him tight. No words, just the sound of their breathing. After a minute or so she said. “Why did you do that?”

“I wanted to. I thought you would like it.”

“You only know a fraction of the horrors I am responsible for. I killed Lilithana with an experiment I never thought would work. I engineered Cinder and many others. Polymorphs are only allowed to change into animal forms. Violating that law was one of the worst crimes possible before the fall.”

“You are similar.”

“I did that to myself. I have done countless things most would not want to see in their worst nightmares. I don’t deserve kindness. I don’t deserve love. I should be hated. I should be feared. I should suffer for all that I have done.”

“I am in no place to judge you. I give you what I choose to give you. If you don’t like it, turn me down.” He turned, kiss her softly, then left.

2