Whoever may be the Hunters (4)
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The gigantic red beetle could have only been a D rank at most, it was nothing more than a pest to most hunters, but this was the biggest achievement Seneos could claim as his. Though that would be quite a lie. He would have never been able to bring it down on his own, even with the knight path.

'I can get all the techniques I want, mastery is the key to success....I don't remember which famous hunter said that though.' He thought as he got back on top of the beetle to get a good look at it. It was nothing more than a monster in his eyes, so its destroyed body was nothing more than a usual sight for him. He only wanted to observe the prey he had caught. He had been the predator for the very first time, to a creature much stronger than him. Wolves he could very easily deal with unless they were in a pack. They were easy to separate though and he had mastered the art since it was his only way to get them.

But this...This put a smile on his face. And he wasn't the only one who felt like this. Footsteps could be heard behind him as another hunter approached. Seneos didn't even acknowledge as said hunter jumped on top of the corpse too and whistled.

"That was some sick-ass fight I have to say!"

Seneos turned suddenly, surprised at what he just heard. He saw the hunter who had just spoken in English and took in what was possibly the plainest priest outfit he had ever seen. The man was wearing a simple white robe with a cross on it and held a small fireball in his right, for reasons Seneos didn't know of. To make the man even plainer, he had short blonde hair and blue eyes, the most cliche westerner if school books and movies were to be trusted. The man however had something that set him apart from others, he had golden teeth.

"....Who....Are you, exactly ?" Seneos asked, leveling an unimpressed glare at the man. The priest felt stronger than his current self, but not overly so. As such he was no immense threat, contrarily to Gumiho for example, and there was no need to act all formal with him. That is what Seneos' brain surmised.

The priest's eyes widened for a second before he again whistled, making Seneos wince, and made the fireball in his hand disappear with a mere flick of his fingers.

'Show off'

He then pointed a finger at the sharpshooter who was busy helping Kang Tae-Yeon to some potions. The healer had immediately used spells on his own body but it appeared the sharpshooter wouldn't help him alone. Seneos even had to repress a giggle as he saw the healer trying to push the potions away, only to get his hands smacked by the shooter who looked to be his own age.

"Just an old man who was worried for his nephew. A nephew I now know I can leave alone. He was damn amazing, wasn't he?" The man said, his voice dripping with so much pride it made Seneos relax. He couldn't deny he had been on edge even with the man being only moderately strong.

He heard a very discreet feminine voice and immediately wished Vodka had a body he could punch.

"You aren't going to make any friends if you act like that, Overlord. My data indicates you are being....Hmmm....Bitchy?" 

Making sure to not let his anger get the better of him and expose him, Seneos only forced a smile on his face and nodded.

"Yes, he was really good. He has the perfect accuracy to be a sharpshooter. That path doesn't come with accuracy offered on a plate contrarily to what people believe. Some people really pack a punch with a gun but are pretty basic in terms of aim." Seneos explained, in a rare show of his limited knowledge. He did have a few idols growing up, and someone like him who had the hunter mentality could only look up to strong individuals, so naturally other hunters. 

The middle aged man who looked much younger than his raspy voice indicated whistled once more, taking a good look at Seneos.

"Tell you what kid, you don't seem that strong but you know a few things. I think I have to stop getting surprised every time I hear a Korean speak perfect English though. I tend to forget that it's expected of hunters in certain countries. Hahahaha!" 

The older blonde man looked like he wasn't quite finished but a loud voice interrupted him.

"Abe, get here. It's time for the rewards!" Came the voice of the sharpshooter who had finally stopped being like an overprotective mother with Tae-Yeon. Seneos finally got a good look at his appearance with the boss' room being illuminated torches placed at random locations on the walls. The man was a bit inexperienced but he obviously had talent, and with what Seneos was seeing, he could very easily become a celebrity soon. He definitely had the face for it. An untamed and savage look with a face placed in a constant, involuntary frown. The loose black suit with no tie certainly made him look good although it most likely offered no protection. Not like Seneos was one to speak. Most of his outfit offered no real advantages, only his overcoat was actually useful. 

He was so damn fond of this overcoat. 

Abe threw a hand up in the direction of his nephew but then threw another look at Seneos. As easy-going as the man seemed, he was almost searching for something in Seneos' eyes. At least that is how the younger hunter felt.

"As you heard, I am called Abe. I hope we will get to meet again on other raids, you seem like you have a lot of spunk for a random kid. My nephew is called Suji by the way...Weird name I know, I wanted him to be called something fuckin sick, but nooooooo...Apparently, I have a poor naming sense. Even if Azazel is not a common name, it's still amazing! Not my fault people still have modern tastes that suck asses!" The man ranted before jumping off the corpse and running towards his nephew. 

Sen watched him live, his eyes blinking ever so slightly before his eyes scrunched up in confusion.

"What in the hell was that even supposed to be?" 

"You would know if you interacted with people mo-"

Seneos turned to glare at his guide, whom he guessed was on his right, and exhaled hot air.

"We haven't known each other for long, but I know I hate you." 

With that said, Sen shot a look at the group of hunters who had finished healing themselves and had gathered at the end of the room, the end of the dungeon, to hear a very familiar robotic voice.

Sen frowned when he didn't hear his name and sat down on the corpse, taking out a small potion to lick his wounds. A confused hum came out from behind him and he nearly spat the content of his potion, a potion that was too expensive to be wasted. He forced it down his throat and wiped his mouth off the purple liquid.

"Oh yeah right! Sorry about that. I am used to you knowing more than me. You must be confused as to why I frowned and then didn't join the group. The voice of the dungeon...So basically you, but not you now that I think about it. Well never mind, that voice announces which hunter gets a reward at the end of a raid. She, or it, announces who distinguished themselves in the raid and who gets a reward. If your name isn't called upon as one of those who distinguished themselves, it's all up to luck if you do end up getting anything." 

He looked at his colleagues, and then at the healer, before a bitter laugh left his mouth.

"I was pretty fucking awesome just then, but I guess not enough. Funny how I get some amazing stuff by hiding behind a corpse and then I am rewarded with nothing but air after such a show. I can't count on my luck either. I have it in on my side only when I don't think about it. Guess that's how luck works to start with...Or maybe not." He grumbled before finishing his potion. A small sound of disgust left him as the aftertaste kicked in. 

To his immense surprise, he heard the almost otherworldly voice giggle.

"Well, you might be right for the lack of rewards. After all, I have the information on which of the monsters you killed you can attempt to recruit, and well...I guess it was to be expected. However, Overlord, I believe you were wrong when you said to the overgrown lizard-moose monstrosity that you wouldn't change so quickly." Vodka chimed in. Before Seneos could even voice his confusion, she continued.

"You just complimented yourself. Perhaps the future where you stop seeing yourself in a poor light is near." 

Her mirth was killed immediately by Seneos who threw his potion away. It broke in thousands of pieces right before the housewife who nearly jumped in fright. He apologized to her with a small gesture and then sneered at Vodka without looking at her. 

"That's not much. I know self-hatred has been common for a while now in our world, but I am not exactly like that. I am pessimistic, and it won't change for a while. I admired many hunters whose fall from grace happened because of the very pride I am trying to avoid. Not that it is difficult since I happen to actually be weak. To many people that pride can be a strength, but...."

He looked down at his hands, for the third time now they were trembling. He felt nothing overly negative. But he soon was going to. At the same time, another set of footsteps was heard.

".....I am not sure I want to find out what it would be for me." 

1