Ch. 3 Dinner
2.6k 9 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was awoken sometime later by Amethyst. She was cleaning around me. Rubbing my eyes, I sat up and looked at her. I don’t know why, but for some reason, she looked very frightened of me. I was about to ask her what I did when a little girl came running into the room. She was very cute, but different than the others. She almost looked human - the only distinction was her ears and tail. She stopped in front of me. Immediately Amethyst tensed up. She said something to the little girl in their language, and the little girl ran away. I didn’t understand what the problem was, but I had a feeling it had to do with me.

            “What is wrong, Amethyst. Did I do something to you?” I asked. She looked at me with almost a scowled face making me feel like slinking away.

            “You were raised in a world of humans. We do not like humans. They took so much from us.” Amethyst said. I could understand that feeling, but I didn’t understand what that had to do with me. Then there was the burning question in my mind. How did the little girl look so human? I knew that I should leave it alone, but I couldn’t help myself.

            “Why does that girl look so human. I don’t understand. Is that how you all are born?” I asked. In an instant, I regretted asking. The anger that showed in Amethysts eyes was like nothing I had ever seen before. If her stare was a knife, it would have cut right through me.

            “She is our niece. She was the product of a human forcing himself on my sister. Our sister was a slave for a human, and he decided that she was better for his desires. Our sister didn’t make it, but one of the slaves escaped and bring her to us. I have been taking care of her ever since,” Amethyst said. I could feel her despair. I wished I could go to her and give her a hug, but at this moment, I knew that would be a mistake. I was just glad that she didn’t know that I used to be human. If she had, I would probably be thrown out.

            “Where I am from, there used to be the same problem. People would take others who were different and make them slaves. Eventually, one of the most powerful humans of the time put a stop to it. Though it stopped slavery, it didn’t stop the hate and discrimination,” I said. She looked at me, her head tilted to the side, ears twitching. I could tell that she was thinking something.

            “What is discrimination?” Amethyst asked. I was a bit shocked that she didn’t know the word, but it probably wasn’t a word invented yet if I was right about the timing. Sighing, I stood up, brushing the dirt out of my fur. I was surprised that I could practically feel my hand on every fiber of my fur.

            “Discrimination is when you treat someone differently, including hatefully, because they are different. Like how you are a catgirl, and I am… a fox girl?” I said. God, I sounded so stupid. It was like someone who has never played a videogame in their life trying to explain a videogame’s mechanics.

            “We are not a catgirl. We are known as Keyama,” Amethyst said. I nodded. I guess it was offensive to call her a catgirl. I understood. It would be like just calling me a white person based on appearance. I felt bad for offending her. Sighing, I just sat there, studying my tails. I still couldn’t get over the fact that I had 6 tails. I had only seen that on the internet and in some animes.

            After a while, someone came to tell us that dinner was read. It was strange that I was being given a meal just for being a new arrival. I wasn’t complaining about the offer for food, but at the same time, it was something I wasn’t accustomed to. Amethyst didn’t seem too happy about having to attend, but the elder insisted. I guessed it was because she was responsible for me. All I wanted to do was know her, and here I was causing problems for her.

            When we reached the elder’s house, I was surprised at how big it was. By comparison to the other houses, it was more like a mansion. I hadn’t paid attention earlier, but I noticed that there were males in the village. I don’t know why it hadn’t occurred to me before. There was no reason that there shouldn’t be males, but I guess I didn’t think about it because I didn’t want to think about males.

            “Ah. There you are. I hope that you are enjoying your stay?” Talissa said. Her eyes focused on Amethyst. I wondered what the story was between them. I could feel the tension between them, but I couldn’t quite pinpoint what it was. Gesturing to a mat beside her, she said, “please, have a seat. The food will be here shortly. And I want you to understand that you will have to contribute to the village-like everyone else after tonight. If you cant contribute, you don’t eat.” Talissa said. My eyes widened by her words. I guess it was an incentive to make sure that I was useful.

            “Oh, I will do what I can to contribute to the village,” I said as I sat next to her. Amethyst sat next to me, crossing her arms in defiance. All of this was making me very uncomfortable. Then I wondered briefly where the little girl was.

            “Why isn’t the little girl here with us?” I asked. As soon as I mentioned her, I got a deep growl from Amethyst. Turning to look at her, I saw her claws extended, the hatred in her eyes. I guess I wasn’t supposed to mention her.

            “She is well looked after. Unlike humans, the little ones are trusted to be at home alone. They are taught to stay home when adults aren’t present.” Talissa said, dismissing Amethyst, though Amethyst stayed ridged.

            “But isn’t leaving a child home alone neglect?” I asked. This time it was Talissa who gave me a cold, hateful look.

            “I understand that you are not from here, but do not offend our kind by suggesting that no one is watching the children. Though they are at home, some are in charge of watching the village. If anything were to happen to the children, they would be the first ones in action,” Talissa said. Yet again, I was putting my foot in my mouth. I had to remember that I was not at home, and they lived differently.

            “Kiena doesn’t come out much. Some of the others don’t accept her as part of the tribe. They believe that she is an abomination and would seek harm for her if they could get away with it,” Talissa said. At her words, Amethyst looked down at the floor. I could see the pain in her eyes. I couldn’t understand how someone would want to harm a child. Especially one as cute as her. But then again, she was different than the others.

            “I understand. I am sorry for my ignorance. It’s just that where we come from, things are different. If a mother forgets her child for even a few moments, their child can be taken away.” I said. For the first time, I saw something other than hate or distrust in Amethyst’s eyes. I could see sorrow for my words.

            “No mother should have to go through having their child taken. The entire village watches over the kids,” Amethyst said. I was about to say something when the chef brought the food in. It all smelled amazing. I was too hungry to ask what it all was, not to mention I didn’t want to seem rude or ungrateful. Tonight wasn’t exactly my best impression.

            After dinner, I sat there, stuffed. Amethyst was licking her claws clean while Talissa was finishing another cup of whatever she was drinking. There was a bit of awkward silence. It was a bit uncomfortable. I didn’t want to be the first to break the silence, but there was a question weighing on my mind.

            “Excuse me, but how exactly am I going to contribute to the village, besides my expertise in human nature? Well, at least what I know of it,” I asked. Talissa put her cup down and looked at Amethyst, then at me. I couldn’t tell if she was trying to decide or waiting for Amethyst to tell me.

            “Well, since we do not know what you are good at, we will have to assess you. That way, we can see exactly what you are good at,” Talissa said. Another thought came to mind when she said that, and I couldn’t help myself.

            “Where I come from, I used to watch a couple of kids for a few of my parent’s friends. I was really good at it,” I said. Talissa rolled her eyes. Apparently, that was a thing even here.

            “I appreciate that information, but Amethyst has the children covered. Besides, she does not just watch the children. She teaches them. She teaches them our ways, as well as helps them to find their role in the tribe. As I am sure you can tell, there aren’t many of us in the village anymore. These children are the hope for the survival of our tribe.” Talissa said. I nodded. I guess I could understand that, but it made me wonder.

            “You keep saying this tribe. Are you saying that there are other tribes like you out there?” I asked. I’m sure that there had to be. This little village couldn’t be the only one.

            “Yes, there are other tribes out there like ours. Some are even larger. There is one tribe that lives in a vast city. Many believe that it is our original home, but many escaped long ago because the king was ruthless. We have never desired to return, so our ancestors made these woods our home.” Talissa said. I was surprised that there could be an entire city of Keyama.

            “Now, I know you must have more questions, but there are things that I must attend to. Please remember that from now on, your food is based on contribution. You will eat like the rest of us,” Talissa said before dismissing us. I got to my feet, and before I could even move, Amethyst grabbed my wrist and dragged me back to her place.

            “Do not speak of Kiena to her again. She did not have any care for her own daughter. She let her be taken,” Amethyst said. I felt my jaw drop as I realized what she had said. The elder was her mom, and she let her other daughter be taken by a human. It was no wonder why there was tension between them. Having to raise your niece when your mom couldn’t be bothered to. I didn’t understand the reasoning. But I had to remember that I was an alien here.

            Once we were back in the home, Kiena was sitting on the floor waiting. Her dark hair came just to her shoulders. Her ears and tail were bright orange. She tilted her head as we entered the room. Amethyst was about to say something when the girl ran up and sniffed me. It was a weird sensation. I guess it had to do with the animal part of her, but it still felt weird.

            “She smells funny, momma,” Kiena said. I was surprised by the girl calling Amethyst momma. I wondered if that was how she knew her or if it were just her way of coping. She continues to investigate me, despite the hissing of Amethyst.

            “She is not from here, Kiena,” Amethyst said, finally releasing my wrist. I wondered if she had forgotten that she had a hold of it or just was tired of holding it.

            “Is she the one that the elder was talking about?” Kiena asked. She was now grabbing my tails. The feeling I was getting from it was a bit uncomfortable. They were very sensitive to the touch, but it was understandable to be curious as I had more tails than anyone here.

            “Yes, she is little one, now, we believe it is time for bed,” Amethyst said. Kiena gave a little whimper, but Amethyst gave her a look that said she wasn’t going to argue. Without another word, Kiena disappeared into another room. I could hear her pouting even though she was no longer there.

            “We are sorry. Kiena is a very curious girl. Since we weren’t expecting you to be living with us, we do not have a bed for you, so you will have to sleep with us for the time being. Please keep to yourself,” Amethyst said. I was a little offended that she would think that I would try anything with her. I was a very respectful person and would never harm anyone.

            “I wouldn’t do anything to harm you, Amethyst. And I am fine sleeping on the floor,” I argued. She looked at me with annoyance. What did I do this time?

            “We will not have a guest of ours sleeping on the floor. That is not how it works. You are a guest in our home and our responsibility,” Amethyst insisted. I opened my mouth to argue but decided against it. I could tell that I would not win the argument.

            After a while, when Amethyst was sure that Kiena was asleep, she motioned for me to follow her outside. I moved as quietly as I could, following her. Once outside, she led me back to the ladder that led to the ground.

            “We would like to show you something. It’s our bathing pond. It is the most beautiful thing in the forest,” Amethyst said. Smiling, I followed her. I was curious to see what she was talking about.

            After a few minutes of walking, we stopped at a wall of vines. I was kind of curious as to why we were standing in front of some vines. Then Amethyste smiled and lifted the vines, revealing a cave. As she pulled us through the cave, I could see the light glowing in the distance. It was almost luminescent. When we got to the source of the light, it took my breath away.

            “We love coming here. The waters are so amazing. They are never cold,” Amethyst said as I admired the cave. There were growing plants everywhere. The water of the pond was so clear that you could see the floor. It was unlike anything I had ever seen.

            “It is so beautiful. But why are you showing me this? It is clear that you don’t want me in your house,” I said. I watched her expression. She didn’t seem annoyed or angry about the question. Instead, it was more of a distant look. Then she shook her head.

            “You smell of human. We know the smell very well. We can only assume that you were raised by humans in your world, or you were a human in your world. But, That was your life then. Now, you are here. We do not know what to expect of you, but we want to trust you. We want to believe that you are different,” Amethyst said. So she knew or at least gathered that I was human. That was a small relief off of my chest, though I could see that it would take some time to gain her trust. I was starting to question if all of this was just her way of taking responsibility, feeding me what I hoped to hear. That didn’t seem like her, but I couldn’t judge someone based on what I thought.

            “Come into the water with us. It will make you feel better,” Amethyst said, beaconing me. I started to walk towards her when something hit me.

            “But, how can you swim? Where I am from, cats don’t swim,” I said. I soon regretted it. Amethyst growled in anger and slapped me across the face. The pain was intense.

            “We are not cats. Though we share many traits with them, we are Keyama. And we happen to be excellent swimmers,” Amethyst said before jumping in the water. I was blown away by just how agile she was in the water, almost moving like a fish. It was intoxicating to watch her, her elegant body moving through the water like a goddess. Unable to contain my excitement, I jumped into the water, hoping to hide any signs of my immediate attraction.

            The water was warm, almost like getting into a hot tub. The scent of salt assaulted my nose. I wondered if the salt had anything to do with the plants glow. I dived down so that I could fully see the bottom of the pond. There were all sorts of colored stones and crystals. It really was breathtaking. Almost like something someone painted.

            After about an hour, Amethyst and I sat on the edge of the pond, just letting the water drip off our fur. She was very quiet for some time. I wondered what was going through her mind.

            “Tomorrow, you will go see Keba. He will test your skills in wood weaving. Then, you will meet with the elder. She wishes to speak with you about your knowledge. Now, we must go. Kiena will most likely wake soon,” Amethyst said. I didn’t know if she meant just her or if she meant us, but I didn’t have much time to ponder as she grabbed my wrist again. Is this what my life was going to be like. Her constantly dragging me around by my wrist.

68