Ch. 11 Celebration and Pain
1.5k 8 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The anticipation of the celebration was killing me. I spent a lot of my time pacing back and forth. I was sure that I was getting on Amethysts nerves, but I couldn’t help it. I wanted to see what this celebration was all about. I wondered if it would be anything like the banquets we had back home. Well, besides the DJ and the dance parties. I was sure that those weren’t around yet. At least not the kind of dancing that I was used to. What came to my mind was more like the Cinderella type ball room dancing. But I didn’t see the Keyama ballroom dancing.

It was starting to get dark, and people were running around the village. Even Amethyst had left the house to help with the preparations, leaving Kiena and me by ourselves. We spend most of that time just talking and me teaching her little kid games that I learned growing up. I learned that she was a fast learner. Perhaps one day I would show them how to make puzzles and play chess. Wouldn’t that be something? Me being the one who invented chess for this world. The idea made me smile. At least in this life, I could make a name for myself. I could actually do something with my life.

            It was nearly dark before Amethyst came back to the house. You could tell that she was exhausted, and perhaps a little annoyed. My guess is that she had to deal with Talissa again. Poor girl never seemed to catch a break around her mom. I could relate to her.

            “It is nearly time for the celebration. Please have fun tonight,” Amethyst said as she cleaned the floors of the house. I didn’t understand why she wouldn’t allow me to help her clean up. I had offered many times, but every time I did, she would just turn me down. I lived here too, and was just as much at fault for the dirt as she was. It was strange, because when I lived with my sister, if I didn’t do my share of the cleaning, she would be all over my ass.

            “I can’t wait. But you didn’t really explain what was involved in this celebration other than a feast,” I said curious to know more. She hadn’t really said anything to me about it since this morning. As much as I tried to get information out of her, she was determined not to tell me.

            “You will see soon enough,” Amethyst said, shooting down my attempt once more to get information out of her. Sighing, I decided that it was best to drop it. There was only a little time left before the celebration anyway. What could a little more waiting do. It wasn’t like I was going to die if I didn’t know. I decided to turn my attention to Kiena instead, who was currently tugging on one of my tails.

            “Can I stay with you?” Kiena asked as I looked at her. I wasn’t surprised by this question with how attached she had become to me in the last week. I nodded my reply as something else crossed my mind just then. It had to do with what Amethyst said about the gatherers. Despite the fact that they needed seeds for growing crops, I didn’t understand why they would take such a risk, knowing that they could potentially be hunted down. Wasn’t there a better way that didn’t involve them being kidnapped, or murdered for sport? All I wanted to do was keep everyone safe. Sure, I didn’t know half of the people in the village, but I lived here long enough to care about everyone here. Even Talissa, though I think she could change her attitude when it comes to Amethyst. I was going to have to remember to ask Talissa about it when I saw her tonight.

            The moon was just starting to rise when there was the sound of a drum. It reverberated throughout the treetops. Amethyst sighed and looked at me saying, “it’s time to go.” I nodded and followed her out the door. One by one, others left their houses as well. We all headed towards the ground. Although most of the times the Keyama live in the treetops, something like a feast this big couldn’t really be held there. This is why there was a barrier around the whole village. That and it kept other monsters who could climb trees from finding them.

            Once we reached the ground. Everyone formed a circle three enormous wooden tables. The tables were filled with various foods. I could feel my mouth watering at the sight of it all. Though I never went hungry, what Amethyst fixed us was smaller than the meals I was used to back home. Although I did understand, sometimes it made me a little depressed. But now, with all of this food sitting here, I could feel a sense of relief.

            Once everyone was accounted for, Talissa came forth in the center of the circle. Everyone’s eyes were on her and everyone went quiet. I was amazed at the authority she held that just her presence was enough to quiet an entire village.

            “My friends. The time of the harvest is upon us once more. I know that it is a time for worry, but it is also a time of celebration. A celebration of new life. A celebration for those risking their lives so that we may live through another year. I do not take your sacrifices lightly, nor does anyone else. Now, I am sure that some of you know, but we have a new member in the village. She came through the Goddess eye. In that short time, she has taught me things about the humans. Ways that we can defend ourselves. So, from now on, she will be teaching our gatherers how to protect themselves,” Talissa announced. I looked at her, then back at Amethyst. She looked away as if she already knew what Talissa was going to say. How did she expect me to teach a bunch of people how to defend themselves? I wasn’t a teacher!

            “I know that this will be asking a lot of her, but it is for the safety of those who will be risking their lives for us. So please give it up for Coralin,”

            Everyone turned to me and clapped. Those closest to me were patting my shoulder and telling me how great I was. How was I supposed to tell them that I couldn’t do it? Everyone seemed so happy. I couldn’t believe that Talissa put me on the spot like that without even consulting me. I get that this was her village and I wanted to do everything that I could to help keep them safe, but I didn’t know the first thing about teaching anyone. Once everyone had gave their thanks, Talissa raised her hand, causing everyone to go quiet again.

            “Now that everything is in order, please, enjoy the feast and enjoy yourselves,” Talissa said as she started to move towards the table. Then there was a commotion from somewhere behind us.

            “What Elder, I have something to present to you,” came Keba’s voice. Everyone immediately turned to find Keba outside the circle standing beside something covered in fabric. I knew instantly what it was. I guessed he had just finished the statue, and had just gotten it to the ground.

            “Keba, you are late. I hope everything is alright,” Talissa said as she turned her attention to Keba. All Keba could do was nod as he pushed the statue to the inner circle. Quickly, I ran over and gave him a hand. I felt bad that he had had to push it all the way down here. Why hadn’t he asked for help. I guess he didn’t want anyone to see it until he was finished.

            “Yes, my elder. I am sorry that I am late, but I had just finished something I had been working on for the celebration. I think it is very appropriate, all things considered,” Keba said through ragged breathes. Talissa tilted her head to the side, her tail swaying back and forth in anticipation. Slowly, Keba grabbed the fabric before saying, “I know that we are here to celebrate those who will be risking their lives for our village like every year. However, I believe everyone will agree that that isn’t all we should be celebrating. You have gotten us through many hardships and have sacrificed so much to lead our people that I believe that we should be celebrating you. So, without further ado,” Keba said before ripping the fabric off the statue for everyone to see.

            Everyone stood there in awe for a moment as they viewed the statue of Talissa. The craftsmanship that Keba had put into the statue was something to behold. It wasn’t just good, it was amazing. The likeness was uncanny. If I didn’t know it was made out of wood, I would have sworn it was her twin.

            “Master Keba, I don’t know what to say,” Talissa said. I could see a tear threatening to fall down her cheek. Quickly she wiped it away.

            “I have asked you many times not to call me Master any more. You are no longer my student Talissa, you are my Elder,” Keba said. I was almost floored when I heard that. I never thought that the elder of the village used to be Keba’s apprentice. Not with how young she looked.

            “I am sorry Keba. Old habits die hard. This statue is beautiful, but I don’t know if I deserve it. Not after….” Talissa said before looking at the ground. I started to wonder what she was talking about, until it hit me. She was talking about the fact that her daughter was kidnapped and killed by a human. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Amethyst walk off, followed by Kiena. Without a second thought, I left the circle and followed them to the Cave.

            After running into a few rocks on the way into the cave, I made my way to the lake. Amethyst and Kiena were sitting at its edge. I walked over to them and sat down. I didn’t know what to say, so I just placed a hand on her shoulder. Amethyst leaned in against it and sighted.

            “She brought up our sister. How could she bring her up? If she had been a better mother…” Amethyst said. I could see the tears rolling down her cheek. Slowly, I reached up and wiped her cheeks. I couldn’t stand to see her crying; it was breaking my heart.

            “I do not know the whole story, but I am sure that she did everything that she could. I am sure that it is hard to be a mom and the leader of an entire village,” I said. Some help I was. I couldn’t even say the right thing.

            “We know that she had to take care of the village, but she was the one who sent our sister out on that hunt. We spent many months wondering if she had died. Mother pretended that everything was okay. And then, when she found out that our sister was dead, she acted like we weren’t there. We tried to comfort her. We tried to tell her how we felt, but she said that it was the danger of being a hunter. We were not to mention our sister to her,” Amethyst said. I could understand now exactly why there was tension between them. To act as if your daughter’s death was just something to be expected and then shut your other daughter out. Any child would start to resent their parent after that.

            “I am sorry that you had to go through that Amethyst. I wish there was something that I could do to make you feel better. To take way your pain,” I said, though I knew they were just words. There wasn’t anything I could really do to take away her pain. And what was worse, Kiena didn’t even know the truth about who her mom was, or if she did, she didn’t say anything.

            “We are just happy that you are here right now. You have been an amazing person, and we hope that we will never lose you,” Amethyst said as she looked me in the eyes. I could see the pain and the fear in them. It was something I was unfamiliar with. I had never had someone worry about losing me.

            “I promise, you will never lose me,” I said. I know that it isn’t good to promise something like that when there is no way of knowing if I could keep that promise, but it was something she needed to hear. Though I would do my best to keep that promise. Hesitantly, I leaned over and wrapped my arms around her, hugging her. I was prepared for if she rejected me, or even hit me, but to my surprise, she allowed me to hug her, and even hugged me back. This was the first time I had ever felt like I truly belonged somewhere.

            “Momma, why everything will be okay. She isn’t gone, she is still with us, in here,” Kiena said pointing to her heart. That was the final straw, as my own tears began to fall. Kiena tilted her head to the side and looked at me before saying, “Please don’t cry. I know my real momma is gone, but I know she loved me.” And that sentence sent a new pain to my heart. So, she did know. Amethyst looked a little surprised.

            “Kiena, you knew?” Amethyst asked. Kiena nodded before sitting in Amethyst’s lap.

            “One of the boys was being mean to me and said it. So, I asked the elder. She told me,” Kiena said. I saw a flash of anger come over Amethyst. Seeing this Kiena added, “Please don’t be mad at her. It’s my fault that I am different.

            “No, it is not your fault Kiena. A very bad man did something unforgivable, and your mom had you. Never apologize for being alive,” I said. Amethyst just looked at me, then turned to Kiena and nodded in agreement. The little girl looked at me before hugging me tightly.

            “We should return to the celebration,” Amethyst said as she got to her feet. Kiena and I followed suit and in a matter of minutes, we were back outside the cave. I could hear music being played. The tune was unlike anything I had ever heard before. It was calming and smooth on the ears. As we got closer to the tables, I could hear the murmur of people talking amongst themselves. The three of us joined the table. As we started grabbing food for our plates, I looked over at Kiena and smiled. I knew in my heart at that moment, that I was going to do whatever it took to keep her save. Her and Amethyst.

            Once everyone had eaten, the tables were removed as the band began playing some slower music. I was proven wrong about ballroom dancing, as two by two, people started dancing. I was watching everyone else dance when there was a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I found Amethyst standing there, looking at the ground while she held her tail in her hands.

            “wou…would you like to dance?” Amethyst asked. This was the first time I had ever seen her act shy. I didn’t understand what she had to be shy about, when we lived together. She had never acted like this with me before.

            “I would love to,” I said. Amethyst offered me her hand, rather than dragging me by my wrist like she usually did. I took her hand and she led me to the middle of the area. When we stopped, Amethyst was the one to wrap her arm around me. She had taken the man’s position in the dancing, with her arm around my waist. I don’t know what it was, but dancing with her like this felt right. I never saw myself as a lead.

            As we danced, many eyes fell on us. Some people even stopped dancing altogether to watched as we danced together. It was a strange feeling, having so many eyes on me, but in this moment it didn’t matter. Sighing happily, I laid my head on her shoulder. There was just something about this that felt right. It was in this moment that I realized that I was truly falling in love with her. I just hoped that she felt the same way about me. The last thing I wanted was to fall in love, only to realize that I had misread the situation.

            Slowly, people started to leave. Eventually it was only Amethyst and I and a couple others dancing. The band ended their last song and bid the rest of us goodnight. As we stopped dancing, Amethyst started acting shy again. She quickly released me from our embrace, and looked at the ground again. I was just about to say something when Kiena came running towards us, her eyes threatening to slam shut on her.

            “Momma, I am tired, can we go home?” Kiena asked. Amethyst let out a sigh of relief and nodded at Kiena taking her hand, as they started walking towards the stairs that lead to the treetop. Then Amethyst turned to me and motioned for me to come with them. Smiling, I followed them home. Although there was some pain tonight, it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. I was happy. I was home and I hoped that nothing ever changed that.

I want to thank you all for your continued reading of my story. I hope that you are enjoying it so far. Please dont forget to leave any comments you may have and if you liked the chapter, dont forget to hit that Heart. If you are enjoying my story and would like to help me to continue to be able to write, please check out my Patreon page. Love you <3

59