Ch. 19 Protection Plan
1.1k 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

           I awoke to the sound of Amethyst humming. She had been in a good mood for the past week since our “wedding.” I was still in shock that it had actually happened. I never thought that I would be married. After all the rejections I had in my life, the thought of actually being married to someone had been a distant thought, much like being a girl in general.

As I sat up, Amethyst smiled and hugged me. I could feel her heart against my chest. It was the most fantastic feeling in the world.

           “Good morning, dear. We were waiting for you to wake up. Nivtal says that you are now strong enough to make a new barrier,” Amethyst said. I nodded. It had been tireless work, learning to use my magic. I wondered how I was supposed to make a barrier, though. It wasn’t like I had been told how to do it. I guess that I would be told when we went to see her later. She had been staying with Talissa for the past few days. She said that it was to give us privacy, but deep down, I wondered if it was because of mine and Amethyst’s relationship.

           After breakfast, Amethyst, Kiena, I went to the lake. We hadn’t had much time to get clean between my training and Amethysts classes lately. Not to mention that I had started working for Keba again when I wasn’t training. In addition, we had completed a new house. It gave me great pride to know that someone would have a place to live due to my help.

           While at the lake, Kiena decided to use her magic to play with the water. It came as a surprise to find out that she could use magic like me. But, unlike Keyama, she was able to control elements other than earth. I guess her half-human did have its benefits, though it didn’t make it any easier for her with the rest of the kids. They still treated her differently, even more so now that she could use magic. But she didn’t seem to mind. She was so happy that she could use magic to worry anymore.

          “We have been thinking. Of course, we know that there is no way for us to have a child as others do, but we always think about what it would be like to carry a child. It has always been something we have wanted,” Amethyst said, the sound of worry in her voice. I knew her feelings on this, as it was something I had thought about many times. Most girls who have had kids would tell me that I didn’t know what I was asking for, that I couldn’t handle it. But they didn’t know what it meant to me. The thought of carrying another life inside me made me jealous of them.

           “I have always wanted to do the same. I am sorry that I am not what you need for that,” I said. The moment the words left my mouth, I regretted it. The look of hurt in Amethyst’s eyes was enough to make me want to cry.

           “We have never wanted to be with a male. If you had been a male, we don’t think we would have loved you this way. We have always been in love with girls,” Amethyst said, curing against the rock base. There was hurt in her eyes that I hadn’t seen in a while.

           “I am sorry, love. I didn’t mean it that way,” I said. I really didn’t know how to talk to girls, even now. Amethyst sighed and looked down into the water. She didn’t say anything for a while, just sat there, her ears pressed against her head. It was hard seeing her like this.

            “We just wanted to feel the joy that sister had felt. Even if she had been a prisoner of the human, we know that the feeling of having a child in her was amazing. We see it with the women around here. The joy they have,” Amethyst said as a tear rolled down her cheek. I slowly reached over and brushed the tear away before pulling her towards me.

            “I don’t know what I can do, but if there is a way that I can give you what you want, I will,” I said, though I didn’t know how that would be possible. It wasn’t like I was magically going to grow the parts needed to make a child. Not that I would want to. I was glad to see my labia and clit when I looked down. I still felt weird being naked, though. Even after all this time, I had a strong urge to find clothes.

            “Please do not make promises that you can’t keep,” Amethyst said into my shoulder. Kiena must have realized that her mom was sad because without saying a word, she came over and hugged her tightly. At that moment, I knew that I would have to find a way to make her dream come true. But, first, there just had to be away.

            “No, I mean it. I will find a way,” I said. I was determined to make her dream come true. She was the love of my life, and all I want is for her to be happy. Maybe magic could help. I would have to ask Nivtal. If she didn’t know, I was sure there had to be someone who would know. Amethyst looked up at me and smiled a little.

            “You really are so amazing, my love,” Amethyst said softly.

            “Momma Coralin, are you going to give momma a baby?” Kiena asked. I almost fell backward when I heard her call me momma. I never expected to be called that. I looked at her for a moment, then at Amethyst.

            “She asked what you would be to her, and we told her you would also be her momma. We hope that that is okay.” Amethyst asked with a look of concern.

            “No, it’s amazing. I love it. And I love you both so much,” I said, feeling a tear roll down my cheek. I really did have a family now. Life couldn’t be any better.

            After about an hour in the lake, we left the cave and went into the forest together. With my new magic, we weren’t as worried about being attacked. The only thing that still bothered me was the idea of running into humans. I didn’t want them to find us and then find out where the village was. I was sure that they had mages or sorceresses that could destroy the thin barrier that was there now. However, I needed to make a new barrier soon.

            As we walked through the forest, Kiena picked flowers as she went. Amethyst stayed close to me, holding my hand as we went. When we were out of the village, Amethyst seemed alive. It was as if she was a whole different person out there.

            We were coming to the white forest when we heard a stick snapping. Immediately Amethyst became alert. Kiena must have heard it, too, because she came scampering over to us, hiding behind us. Next, there was the sound of leaves rustling. It wounded as it was getting closer. More sounds of leaves echoed. It sounded like it was coming from the treetops. Then we heard it—the sound of screeching.

            “Koyangas. They look like bears but live in the trees. They drop from the trees onto their prey. We need to go,” Amethyst said as more rustling echoed above us. Amethyst started into a sprint, dragging me. I did my best to grab Kiena as we went. Then we started hearing thuds as something hit the ground. Looking back, I couldn’t believe my eyes. They looked like bears but were about the size of a raccoon.

            “Momma, they are so cute,” Kiena said as she tried to stop, but I wouldn’t let go of her. She tried to protest, but a low growl from Amethyst made her follow without another word.

            More Koyangas fell from the trees, their teeth bared as they tried to attack us. I quickly use my magic to blow them away.

            Once we were clear of the white forest, the bears seemed to disappear. It was almost as if they couldn’t go any further. Finally, the one closest to us growled and screeched at us but didn’t take another step towards us. Then it ran off, following its buddies.

            “They were cute, but I don’t want to run into them again,” I said as I tried to catch my breath. Amethyst nodded, then looked in the direction we came from with a puzzled look.

            “We don’t understand. How could they be this close to the tribe? They are from a different forest, near the mountains,” Amethyst said as she scanned the area. Probably making sure that there was no more threat.

            As we entered the village, we were greeted by Talissa and Nivtal. They both looked happy. Why were they so happy? Was there something I missed? Some celebration that Talissa hadn’t mentioned to us before?

            “Nivtal tells me that you are ready to perform the ritual that will make a stronger barrier around the village,” Talissa said. Nivtal looked at me and nodded. So, this was what they were happy about. They wanted me to erect the barrier over the village. It was a vital job for me. I nodded back at Talissa, who seemed like she was about to jump out of her skin.

            “She has been working hard these past few weeks. There is still a lot that she needs to learn in terms of magic, but yes, she is ready to make the barrier,” Nivtal said in a matter-of-fact tone. She then shot a look at Talissa. Of course, if looks could kill, Talissa would already be dead. I wondered what that was all about.

            “Good. Then would you please start?” Talissa asked, a little too impatient to worry about my feelings. I sighed. ‘Why did I agree to this?’ I thought. Then I looked at Amethyst and Kiena, and that question quickly vanished. Though I loved this village and its people, the truth was, I was doing it for those two amazing girls. They were my whole world.

            “We will have to go to the center of the village. That way, there are no mistakes,” Nivtal said as she fluttered out the door, not waiting for any of us to follow her. Of course, I was the first to follow. After all, it was me who was going to make the barrier. Amethyst and Kiena followed behind. I was glad that they were with me. They gave me a strength that I didn’t think was possible.

            Once we were on the ground and in the village center, everyone had their eyes on me. Even those who weren’t already on the ground came to the bridges above to watch me. It was like I was putting on a show for them. It was a little nerve-wracking, but I understood their curiosity. After all, they were used to sprites making the barrier for them.

            “Alright, Coralin, just as I told you,” Nivtal said. I looked back at Amethyst and Kiena. Amethyst nodded, while Kiena just smiled. I don’t think she truly understood what was going on, but she seemed just happy being there with us.

            Kneeling to the ground, I got on my knees. Then, using a knife that I had picked up on the way down, I sliced my hand open. I winced at the pain but put it aside. This was no time to be a cry baby. Lives were at stake. As my blood began dripping to the ground, I whispered the incantation that Nivtal taught me. I was actually surprised that I remembered it all because it was pretty long.

            As I chanted the incantation, the wind picked up. The sound of leaves rustling filled the air. I could feel the energy of everyone here filling the air as well. It was strange to feel their lifeforce, but from what I understood, because of how powerful my magic is, it comes naturally. Of all the people here, Nivtal and Kiena gave off the most immense amount of energy.

            As I continued the incantation, the wind became more violent. I hoped that it wouldn’t destroy the houses. The last thing I wanted was for people to be homeless. Sure they would be protected from outsiders, but having nowhere to live wouldn’t be any better. I could feel my body beginning to heat up again as it did the day that Amethyst was attacked. I could only imagine what the others were witnessing, but I couldn’t break my focus. If I did, anything could happen.

            The fire began to cover my body. I didn’t see it, but I could feel its power. I could hear everyone’s reactions. Even Kiena began freaking out. I could hear her crying out for me, the sound of horror in her voice. I wanted to run to her. I wanted to tell her that I was okay, but I could. I could hear Amethyst consoling her.

            The further I got in the incantation I got, the more energy I was absorbing. Because I was drawing from everyone and everything around me, I didn’t fear killing anyone. I remembered Nivtal telling me that this kind of magic needed help. She also said that to use magic, you have to draw on it. While we are born with magic, if we were to only draw from ourselves, we would eventually drain our entire lifeforce, so we have to use the magic and energy around us.

            As I got close to finishing the incantation, I felt like I was about to explode. I was full of so much energy, it threatened to escape. Then, above us, a storm started to form. I knew what was going to happen, and I was sure it would hurt a lot, but it was necessary. Finally, as I finished the last few words of the incantation, a single lightning bolt struck me, overfilling me with energy. Then there was a feeling, like all of the energy burst out of me at once. That was followed by a blinding flash of light. Then I saw it, The barrier, growing by the second. While it was pure energy, it was visible for all to see.

            Everyone watched in awe as the barrier grew. I could feel it expanding. I knew that it was going to cover the entire village. Everyone watches it grow. You could tell that they were happy.

            When the barrier was finished, I tried to stand. The sudden loss of all of that energy seemed to have taken more out of me than I thought because as soon as I did try to stand, I found the ground coming closer. My vision began to fade. I waited for the pain of hitting the ground. Only where I landed was soft and warm. I could tell that someone was talking to me, but I couldn’t make out who it was. The last thing I heard was you did it, then the world faded to black.

38