Chapter 1: A Strange Child (Part 1)
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stray Soul | Chapter 1: A Strange Child (Part 1)

In the First month of the seventeenth year of Eolonu III, Unified Year 271 of Eternal Moon Empire, Golden Moon Province, a son was born to Crenlan Nulu of the Nulu Clan and his wife, Foalin Ohga, a descendant of the Ohga Clan. At birth, the child did not cry. If not for him coughing up fluids, the midwife would have thought him stillborn. In all her years, the midwife had never encountered a newborn not crying. The couple and the midwife observed him carefully. He exhibited the discomforts of a newborn. In the chilly air, the tiny mist of his breaths steadied. Inside the small, sparsely furnished room, there was a sense of relief for the successful delivery.

As the midwife tended to the newborn, Crenlan Nulu invited in Crasnor Nulu, who was waiting in the carpentry shopfront of the house. Crenlan Nulu may be a distant relative, too distant to be part of an auxiliary branch, but a Nulu nonetheless. Crasnor Nulu, the Elder of the Clan’s main branch and a learned man, would name the carpenter’s the newborn.

“Crenlan, your son is brave.” The esteemed Elder of the Clan was unexpectedly happy with the baby boy. “You see,” he said directing the attention of Crenlan Nulu to the baby boy resisting the swaddling bands of the midwife. “He is uncomfortable, yet the boy does not shed a single tear.” Crasnor Nulu pondered for a suitable name. “Zar was said to be the bravest son of Nu. Let this child borrow the bravery of our ancestor. His name is Vazarl Nulu.”

Crenlan Nulu bowed deeply with swung arms and cupped hands to thank Crasnor Nulu. “Many thanks, Elder!” For his son to be named “also Zar” after an ancestor is a great honor.

Crasnor Nulu was jovial. “Though your name is not in the registry of the main branch, you are still part of the Nulu Clan. Crenlan, your son, Vazarl, is part of the Clan. When the boy turns fifteen, he will be taught the Golden Moon Cultivation Arts.”

“Elder, I was unable to become a cultivator, do you really think little Vazarl can become a cultivator?” Crenlan Nulu said hesitantly.

“You are you. Your son is your son.” Crasnor Nulu waved his hand dismissively. “In a few years, teach him the Golden Moon Mantra. If he can absorb Immortal Energy, he can become a cultivator. With a strong name and strong constitution, he won’t end up a carpenter like you.”

Crenlan Nulu bowed deeply again to show his respect. If little Vazarl can become a cultivator, his life will be better than mine. The Clan will treat him better. Crenlan Nulu looked expectantly at the baby boy in the arms of his wife and smiled. Good son, mom and dad want you to have a good life.

After seeing the guests off, Crenlan Nulu returned to his wife and newborn son. The couple looked at their only child lovingly. The baby stared back at them briefly before slowly closing his eyes. Rhythmic breathing followed. “He has your eyes,” Crenlan Nulu said happily. “Enchanting like the aquamarine flame rose.”

Foalin Ohga smiled and leaned against her husband. Recalling the exchange between her husband and Crasnor Nulu earlier, her smile faded. “Husband, I am scared that your clansmen won’t accept little Vazarl. Though my grandfather moved to Golden Moon Province many years ago and Golden Moon Province is our home, blood of the Ohga Clan flows in my veins. The eyes of the War Moon Clan were passed to our son.”

Crenlan Nulu tightened his embrace. “Foalin, my beloved wife, please do not worry. The Elder believes our son would do well. If little Vazarl does not become a cultivator for the Clan, there is still this shop. I may only be a carpenter, but I married the most beautiful daughter of the Ohga Clan, didn’t I?” Foalin Ohga smiled warmly to reassure her husband. She wants him to be right, that their son would do well.

The two continued looking at what their beautiful son, untainted by the troubles of the world. They can only try to do their best for this child. No matter what, they will love him. With his body relaxed, eyes closed and rhythmic breathing, Vazarl Nulu really appears to be a beautiful sleeping babe.

He is not a blank canvas, however. Since his birth, he has been assessing the situation, trying best he could to understand the where, what, when, how of his circumstance. Finally, sensing no danger, he allowed his body to relax. Alone on a hospital bed in my bedroom. I even had the nurse unplug the heart monitor before kicking out all of them. They can discuss my will and split my assets however they want. I chose my ending. Alone to listen to the gentle breeze and soft rustling of curtains for the last time. How I longed for that sweet release, the promised peace of eternal silence. For a moment, I finally felt that delightful nothingness. Sans everything. When consciousness returned to me, I thought infernal torment was in order. Such an outcome would have been fitting. Flay me. Boil me in oil. Rip out my tongue. Break my bones. Torment my soul for all eternity, inflict me pain and numb my sense of self. Alas, no. An amplified consciousness is my punishment. Remote memories brought to surface. Will time erase the past? Briefly, Crenlan Nulu and Foalin Ohga thought they saw their newborn son smirk. Literal second infancy and all the indignities. Cursed fate. Fickle Fortune spun me low.

1