Chapter 14: A hero or a Villain
438 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5 days after the banquet an all-out counter-offensive was launched, before our transfer to this world, the demon army had already annexed and controlled parts of the human world and governed them with a right hand, human captives were used as slaves and as their own food source, because of these annexation the humans were unable to make a decisive or all-out attack against the demon fortress of Klipnart in the northern mountains that covered the flank of the Demon stronghold of Bolderus in the far east and the Fortress of Dunbon in the south.

Not to mention the demons could always start a surprise offensive using their portals, as they can even use it to launch a surprise attack at enemy capitals, but with the support of the 20 heroes they were able to push the demons further and further eastwards, slowly but surely, they could take Bolderus stronghold.

***

9 months later…

Although it has been almost a year since I was teleported as a hero in a different world, I was still concerned with what the heroes were talking about, their stat and skills, levels and abilities.

They said, they had a screen that helped them level up and raised their stats, yet I, the Hero of Darkness, had none or not a single trace or evidence that I even have it. But even so, I didn’t let that stop me, I used My tactical and strategic mind and Anja’s Mercenaries to strike the demon army hard, from the north and south, my army of Mercenaries grew to a massive 5,000 strong army, mostly consisting of Anja’s friends and acquaintances.

All of them were experienced killers and veteran warriors, Anja and their men actually stated the fact that as long as they die a Brave and valiant death against the demons, they would charge me with a 50% discount, for people that love fighting and dying in the battlefield, that was an offer I wasn’t able to refuse.

After a recent skirmish with a small force of goblins and orcs, I ordered my mercenaries to sleep and rest for the night, currently I have a mission involving Simon, the Hero of Justice and Truth, who recently change his job and is now an inquisitor, and Caz, Hero of War and Destruction.

They totaled an army of 18,000 men and were supposed to liberate the demon-held city of Thosa, but they were pushed back and now cornered, I received a letter from them 2 days prior and they also stated they sent another to Aristotle, the Hero of Wisdom and Knowledge, who was currently staying with his *Macethenian-style army at the kingdom Seclosia.

*1Macedonian and Athenian

Us heroes have split into multiple groups commanding their personal armies, except for those that are not of the fighting-class, the Hero of Medicines and Remedy and the Hero of the Anvil and Blacksmiths, focused on preparing and manufacturing weapons and potions for the war effort.

I wanted Bernard to make me a pistol or at least an automatic rifle, but he disagreed, he said if this world where to know the power and strength of guns and artillery, they themselves can research weapons of mass destruction, like nukes and chemical weapons.

Instead of a war against demons, it would be the same as it is in Earth, all human countries would try and procure modern and devastating weapons and turn on each other, he stated it would be better if the humans of this world won’t experience a war without honor or victory.

I agreed with his excuse and just had to rely on swordsmanship, by how I thought about it, I was a modern soldier trained for modern warfare goes to a medieval world and uses swords.

“Haah, a lot of stuff has been happening.”

I expect no less from demons that have been rampaging this world, I had already fought multiple demon armies and did Alexander the great type of tactics. I knew I was outnumbered but I had the experience and discipline of an army, so I used that against their superior numbers.

And I won more or less, but for some reason, I was already promoted to commander of Northern allied forces, yet I wasn’t given any soldiers or even volunteers from the kingdoms of the north, or even the kingdom of Vestilio.

Meaning I had to rely on mercenary groups, luckily enough I was able to contact Anja that already had made an army just for me to command, they are all experienced and veterans, I expected no less from soldiers that’d rather die on the battlefield.

Currently, we were making our way to the town of Hervi, a commercial town at Simon’s and Caz’s rear position, as the night passed and in the middle of the early morning, the sun just recently rose to the sky.

I heard gallops of horses coming from my right and when I looked to where the sound was coming from, it was my advance scouts that I sent to scout the path to Hervi.

“Sir, Theo, we have received a report that the town of Hervi us in flames! The city is in flames!”

As I heard that the city was in flames, I immediately stood up from the wooden trunk I was currently sitting in and took a short sabre near a tent.

“I need 200 men on horseback! Immediately!”

I yelled before riding on a nearby black vacant horse, it was already prepared, it had a saddle and reins already attached, it was probably used by the cavalry, I then looked behind with a sweat dripping and yelled:

“The Town of Hervi is on flames! The enemy is planning an encirclement on our allies! We need to move! pack immediately the bags and tents and move!”

My yell got the attention of those that were currently on break and spread the word throughout our entire camp, hearing the command Anja and her guards on horseback met with me.

“Theo, I have around 120 or so men with me, we must go now!”

Anja yelled at me full of excitement, to which I complied, though I was a beginner in horseback riding, I practiced with my cavalry for quite some time.

From what I remember in my practices, I need to press my horse with both my legs for it to start then do it again to increase its speed.

I did what I remembered in my training and lucky enough for my first try alone I was able to do it, I then signaled my light numbered cavalry to form behind me and start our immediate journey to Hervi.

From what my scouts calculated, the normal time to reach Hervi on our camp was about 12 hours, but if the conditions of our path were bad, for example muddy terrain because of the rain, it’d take a day or so.

And to be fair, it started raining out of nowhere, but we still made the journey to the town under the harshest of conditions, the rain worsened but our morale was still at an all-time high. Though it was both raining and we were halted in the forest due to the muddy terrain, the scouts that I sent have reported that they had already seen a thick and pitch-black smoke coming a few kilometers away from our current position.

After double checking the map that was given to us, it was true, the large and thick trail of smoke coming from the ground and extending up to the sky was all coming from Hervi.

I ordered the other cavalry mercenaries that were lagging behind to follow us immediately as we were about to rush the burning town, it was a bad move but I needed to help the town, whether there was still anything left of the town or if the townspeople were still alive, I still tried to save it.

With the speed I was currently in and with only a group of 40+ mercenaries, I made my way to the burnt and destroyed town of Hervi, to where me and my mercenaries saw nothing but ashes, burnt and collapsed buildings and corpse, burnt or not, they were all laying on the ash-filled street of the town, from what their corpses left, it seemed they still tried to escape.

“Anja, split the men and search for survivors, it seems we’re late…”

I said with a depressed tone to Anja and her men who saw the result of a one-sided massacre.

To be honest, I can’t seem to react any sadder or depressed, I did the same tactic against enemy camps, I’d covered any routes that can be used to escape, then burn the camp while they were trapped in it, it was a cheap tactic that can result in entire divisions being effectively wiped out.

But for demons to do it…

I looked at my surroundings and noticed that there were barricades at certain paths and routes inside the burnt town, as I continued my inspection of the burnt town, my suspicions grew.

There were barricades and some bodies were wearing unidentified armor and were armed, some citizens also were shown to have only slashes and lacerations, if it was a demon, they would’ve atleast took the citizens as slaves or eat them, it’d be a waste just to burn them, plus, why did they need to barricade it? Some demons and monsters had an enormous amount of Mana that can be used for Magic shields.

In the battles that I fought, some demon armies had a shield barrier that extended to the rear of their army, projectiles are unable to pierce it and the caster can also alter the shield to block any type of life form from entering or piercing it, for example, like a human.

If my thoughts were correct, I could’ve guess that their caster could’ve just casted their shields to block the escapes routes then cast fire magic it would’ve been faster, but for barricades to be covering the parts and routes.

It was suspicious… this entire town is suspicious.

“Theo! From the Rear!” I heard a sudden yell from behind me and my bodyguards.

Then as I looked behind me, I saw Anja on her horse all bloodied, as I looked closer, I saw that her right hand was covering something on her left shoulder as a stain of blood expanded further on her clothes.

What the…

I dismounted from my horse and immediately ran towards Anja’s all-bloodied body, some of my guards also dismounted from their horse and immediate made a defensive perimeter, as I got closer, I signaled her to fall onto my grasp and catch her, she was too weak to even ride a horse.

“Anja! What happened! are there still monsters here!?”

As I caught her, I said to her, I felt her body turning cold and her strength was diminishing, her body was becoming colder and weaker as time passed, until I saw that the shoulder she covered was slowly turning into a light green color.

Poison?!

It was no doubt, judging by its appearance it was poison, but I still needed to save her, she’s my subordinate and the only friend I trusted in this new world, she was always there, behind my back, preparing and helping me with anything, when others were not.

“You said you’d rather die in a battlefield… Yet why’re you dying on my arms…”

I said in a shaky voice holding back my emotions, her eyes were still closed and it almost felt like she was only a corpse, I was about to bid my farewell until I heard my mercenaries shout at a distance.

“The Army of Prince Vestilio! Sir Theo! It’s Prince Vestilio!”

As I heard that name, I immediately left Anja’s almost life-less body to a nearby mercenary and immediately walked towards Prince Vestilio, his guards and my men all clumped together.

“Prince! May I borrow a potion that increases resistance or completely nullifies a poison.”

As I requested it, the prince looked at me with ill-contempt as he was on his horse’s saddle, I waited for the prince’s answer until I heard a yell from behind.

"What the-!"

As I looked behind, I saw soldiers dressed wearing the Northern Kingdoms emblems and the Vestilio’s Emblem that were killing my men from behind.

As I soon noticed what was happening, I looked back at Prince Vestilio and saw my mercenary being sliced at his throat falling onto the ground, by none other than Prince Vestilio.

That was then I connected the result of my inspections, the barricades, the unidentified soldiers and the lack of demon corpse… I couldn’t believe it.

It was a…

“Theo Holland, Commander of northern allied forces, for the crimes you committed against humanity and for conspiring with the Demonic forces, you are under arrest!”

Trap…

Yo! What's up guys! I'm back! Now for a Brief explanation with the chapter today.
The explanation for the timeskip is that because he wasn't a hero with the [system] Theo did his usual job in earth that is to command armies... well mostly mercenaries since volunteers from other kingdoms didn't come to his aid, and I didn't want a slow pacing, this is just the start. After this, it's like the start of the story now, but the 9 months that passed is an important part of the plot, via backstory and memories that he will remember.

Thanks for waiting and Reading my Novel!

 

And As you see I finally change my Google image cover and replaced it with a Cover Art! Thanks to Aoibh! Thanks for the Art!

13