Book 9 Chapter 4
320 7 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Joan,” Neia said, catching her before she made it halfway to Francis’ room.

Joan glanced over to her and then let out a groan. She looked serious. “Are you going to yell at me too?”

Unlikely,” Neia said. “I did, however, need to talk about your guests.”

He probably won’t try and flirt with you too much,” Joan said. “And I’ll keep him away from Imp.”

Neia’s eyes narrowed on her. “It’s not him I’m concerned about. It’s the girl. Is it true? Is her name truly… Ifrit?”

Yeah,” Joan said before something she’d been told a while ago clicked into place. “She… oh. Ohhhh. Ohhhh that’s a name. That’s a name I know. That’s…”

The people who did… that… to Imp were looking for an ‘Ifrit’,” Neia said. “Do you know if she’s connected?”

On the one hand, I’d say it’s unlikely,” Joan said. “She’s older than Imp, but not that much older. Now, if I was anyone but me I’d say it’s likely just coincidence.”

But since you are you?” Neia asked.

Probably related,” Joan said with a light groan. “How common is the name ‘Ifrit’?”

On this, you are fortunate,” Neia said. “It’s not an altogether uncommon name amongst elves.”

Really?” Joan asked. “Wait, but she’s human.”

She appears to be,” Neia said. “But then, so do you.”

I am human,” Joan said.

Yet, seemingly, so much more,” Neia said.

Have you ever heard of Scorpion’s Venom?” Joan asked.

I’ve never made anti-venom, if that’s what you mean,” Neia said. “Why?”

No, it’s an organization,” Joan said. “Can you see if Imp has heard of them?”

I can try,” Neia said. “But if she’s connected to the ones who hurt Imp, she might be dangerous.”

Or she might be in a lot of danger,” Joan said. “There are people after her already, so they-- oh no. No no no. If they ARE the people who hurt Imp, is she going to be okay?”

How long until they’ll leave?” Neia asked.

A week,” Joan said. “We’re leaving in a week.”

We?” Neia asked.

I’ll be going with them because I know where to go,” Joan said.

A lot can happen in a week,” Neia said.

It can,” Joan said. “But that’s not important here. I don’t know if this Ifrit is the same Ifrit those people were looking for. If they come looking for her here, well…”

I’ll keep Imp safe,” Neia said. “What do you intend to do?”

Not sure yet,” Joan said. “They need help, I can give it. So likely the same thing I always do.”

Spread confusion?” Neia asked.

That is just a happy byproduct,” Joan said quickly.

Just try not to die,” Neia said. “I’d rather your father not believe we are to blame for any of this.”

Please,” Joan said before rolling her eyes. “Hardwin knows better than to blame ANYONE for what I do.”

Neia just glared at her.

I’ll try and find out what I can,” Joan said. “If these people are related? I’ll probably find out. Why is the name popular amongst elves?”

It’s connected to the fae,” Neia said. “A name meant to bring warm summers and good fortune. If she was an elf, I’d be less concerned.”

I know,” Joan said. “But maybe just coincidence. Granted, it’s my life and if I know the fates, which I don’t because who does, it’s likely connected in some annoyingly convoluted way.”

You seem… oddly calm about this,” Neia said.

I’m confused but I’m not BORED!” Joan said with a happy little squeal before she could stop herself. “Err, sorry. Right. But it’s new and exciting and NOT the end of the world. So even if it is a pain in the butt, I can fix it and have some fun.”

Uh huh,” Neia said before eyeing her up and down. “I’m going to keep myself and Imp out of this. I’ll let you know if she knows anything, but other than that? We’re not getting involved.”

Can’t really say I blame you,” Joan said. “Don’t worry. I won’t let anyone hurt you. Either of you. Promise.”

I’ll hold you to that,” Neia said before turning to leave. She did pause for a moment before glancing back. “Joan?”

Yes?” Joan asked.

Do please take care of yourself,” Neia said. “If not for your sake, then for Imp’s. I know just how much of this welcome we have received here is due to you. If something does happen to you, I do not like our chances. There are plenty of elves who would love both our heads.”

They won’t ever have them,” Joan said with a fierceness she hadn’t intended before cringing. “I do mean that. I’ll be fine. I’m excited, but I promised no more reckless behavior. I won’t take any more risks than I have to. Besides, there’s still so much I need to see. Like Andreas getting married! I’ve NEVER seen that before and it’s going to be amazing!”

Of… course… it will?” Neia said before walking away and shaking her head. “Strange little child, reborn or not. Perhaps dealing with her is the ultimate reason the Chosen are here.”

I heard that!” Joan yelled after her.

You were meant to,” Neia called back.

------

You idiot!” Ifrit’s voice echoed out from the room, moments before Joan heard a loud clap.

It seemed Francis was awake, judging by the pained cry.

Joan pushed open the door and glanced inside. Sure enough, Francis was sitting up and his cheek was red. Ifrit’s hand was up, as if she was planning to slap him again. However, they both paused when she popped her head in.

I, uhhh, I was just… err…” Ifrit said softly before lowering her hand.

He was being dumb and you hoped slapping some sense into him would work?” Joan asked. “It’s fine, just happy it’s not me this time. Also, it never works. Trust me.”

Deal with a lot of men like him?” Ifrit asked.

Something like that,” Joan said before looking at him. He looked about the same as she remembered him. Annoying ‘I could charm even the sternest of hearts’ smile, same breezy blond hair that even she was a bit jealous of now that she wasn’t the Hero and that same determined glint in his eye. At least this time he didn’t look like he wanted to stab her. Yet. The day was young and they hadn’t talked much. “He is still healing though, so please don’t hit him too much.”

I’m right here,” Francis said softly.

We know,” Joan and Ifrit said together.

Francis just gave an exaggerated sigh.

You know, though, it’s kind of nice not being the reckless one,” Joan said before sitting at the foot of his bed. “I never did find out what happened, or why you two came here.”

We need the Chosen,” Francis said. “These hunters are getting more and more dangerous.”

Yeah, Scorpion’s Venom,” Joan said.

Who?” Francis asked.

The symbol that we found,” Ifrit said. “She recognizes it. Supposedly. But I’m not entirely sure she’s not mad.”

Nah, Hardwin’s the mad one,” Joan said. “Oh, wait, you mean crazy? Probably a little bit. But I can be crazy and right. In fact, I usually am.”

She was greeted with two bewildered looks.

I’m also probably enjoying this more than I should be,” Joan said. “Right. Uhhhh… the symbol belongs to a group calling themselves Scorpion’s Venom. They’re a bit more active than they should be, but that’s fine. We’re going to go check on them, find out what’s going on. I should easily be capable of dealing with it and if I’m not, I have enough power to take out a kingdom on my own thanks to the Chosen so it’ll be fine.”

Francis stared at her for a moment before looking to Ifrit. “Is… she…?”

The Chosen aren’t here,” Ifrit said.

Then we came here for nothing,” Francis said with a sigh. “I’m sorry.”

Hey, I’m right here!” Joan said quickly, her voice filled with annoyance.

Francis gave a sigh before glancing back to her. “Listen, uhhhh…”

Joan,” Joan said through gritted name. Of course he wouldn’t remember HER name even after she saved him.

We need Lord Hardwin’s help,” Francis said. “I appreciate what you’ve done, but I can’t in good faith risk drawing any more attention to everyone here than I already have.” He shoved the blanket off himself and tried to get up, though Ifrit grabbed his shoulders and tried to stop him. Ah, of course. He wasn’t even wearing a shirt, bandages wrapped tightly around his torso. Still, while he wasn’t unattractive he had absolutely nothing on Searle and she’d seen him--

Okay, this was NOT the thoughts she needed right now and just the thought of Searle without a shirt made red flood her cheeks. “Seriously?” Joan asked. “You’re not going anywhere. You’re hurt. You lost a lot of blood and I know firsthand what can happen if you overdo it after getting hurt.”

Francis, we need to give you time to recover,” Ifrit said softly. “You can’t even push me away right now, what happens if they find us on the road?”

It’s fine,” Francis said. “I’ll protect you. I promised, remember?” he asked before giving that smile. Oh, she knew that smile. She hated that smile. The Hero used to give that smile. The ‘I can handle anything and you’re safe now’ smile. She had to resist the urge to run up and punch him in the jaw. “But if we stay here, more of them will come. We need to get you as far away as--”

Orrrrr you can wait until the royal escort gets here and we can go find these idiots, find out what they want with you and solve this whole thing before it gets out of hand,” Joan said, unable to hide how flippant about the whole thing she felt.

Francis gave a soft sigh. “I appreciate the concern, but we--”

Have no idea what you’re dealing with,” Joan said. “Or how to stop it.”

Francis, maybe we should listen to her,” Ifrit said. “The Chosen do. She was able to fight off the creatures chasing us as well.”

She was? Just her?” Francis asked before staring at her. “With that big light thing?”

Err, I didn’t have that with me,” Joan said sheepishly. “Admittedly, Ifrit helped. But listen, I get it. I’m just a little kid, you’re the big, tough hero guy who wants to save the girl. You can do that, really. Be all heroic if you want. But frankly? I’m the only one who can help you right now. More importantly, I’m planning to do it regardless of your desire to have my help or not.”

Wait, what?” Ifrit asked, turning to her. “What does that mean?”

It means that Scorpion’s Venom is causing problems,” Joan said. “And while I don’t think they’re a problem now, I don’t want to have it turn out later that they ARE a major problem and get bitten in the butt by it. Cause that happens sometimes and the fact you’re here now probably means either Fate is ensuring you show up now or it’s just coincidence. Probably the former, though. Fate is great but she also sucks. Three times.”

They both stared at her for a long time then before looking to each other. “She did say she was crazy,” Ifrit said.

Can you know you’re crazy and still be crazy?” Francis asked.

She seems capable,” Ifrit said.

More importantly,” Joan said. “There’s no way I’m letting you leave until you’re fully healed.”

You can’t--” Francis started to say, his voice indignant.

The hell I can’t,” Joan said with a smirk. Maybe she was enjoying this more than she should have, but it was kind of fun. Francis had always been a pain in her ass, it was kind of nice to give him grief for once. “Ifrit, you don’t want him to die, right? And you know he’s going to end up dying if you get ambushed while he’s like this?”

Ifrit gave a small nod.

You can’t hold me prisoner,” Francis said before trying to stand up again. This time Ifrit wasn’t able to stop him, though he only made it a few steps before she had to move forward to support him.

Probably not,” Joan said. “I mean, I’ve done a lot of stupid things and I know exactly what happens when someone tries to make me do not stupid things. Unfortunately, Searle isn’t here so I can’t exactly swaddle you.”

W-what?” Francis asked.

Please, just lay down,” Ifrit begged him. Grudgingly, he let her guide him back to his bed.

So we’re not going to hold you prisoner until you’re better,” Joan said. “We’re going to hold Ifrit prisoner.”

WHAT?” they both asked in unison.

You’re unreasonable, going to get yourself killed and won’t let her get hurt,” Joan said. “She’s not an idiot, cares about you for some reason I don’t understand and apparently who they’re after. You can’t leave without her and it’s not like you can drag her off.”

You… you’re going to lock me up?” Ifrit asked, staring at her. Now with fear.

What?” Joan asked. “No. That’d be dumb. I’m going to ask you to just stay here until the wannabe hero heals up. And I guess like…” She trailed off and glanced towards the door. “I don’t actually know if they have somewhere we could lock you until he’s healed.”

Both of them were just staring at her.

I never said it was a perfect plan,” Joan said before glancing back to Francis. “But you’re an idiot. I know, because I can be one too. We’re a lot alike.” Oh, she really hated saying that, even if she knew it was kind of true. Fake hero or not. “But you’re not going to get anything done if you just run off and get yourself killed. Sometimes you just need to accept that you can’t do everything yourself and you need someone else to help you. No matter how much it annoys you. You already came here to get the Chosen to help you, but they’re busy. Unfortunately, I’m the best option you have. I’m a lot more capable than I look, I’ve actually got the time because while I am capable, I’m no good at politics and very good at ruining them.”

And if we refuse?” Francis asked.

Joan sighed before glancing to Ifrit. “In a week or so a royal escort should be here. They’ll be able to help. You’ve seen Francis almost die once trying to keep you safe, do you think he’ll be able to do it again? Do you want to have to watch that?”

Ifrit looked between the two of them before sighing. “Francis… she does have a point. And you always say how amazing the Chosen are. If they listen to her, maybe we should too.”

Francis glanced between the two of them before sighing and collapsing back on his bed. “Fine. FINE. I’ll rest and heal. But the moment I’m better, we’re leaving.”

Suit yourself,” Joan said. “In the meantime, I’m going to go check my gear and make sure it’s ready for whatever Scorpion’s Venom is gonna throw at us.” She jumped up to her feet. “Hey, uhhh. Ifrit?”

Yes?” Ifrit asked.

Do you by any chance know about any, well… demons? I mean, de-horned demons?” Joan asked.

I’m afraid I don’t know any demons,” Ifrit said. “Horned or otherwise. I’m sorry.”

No, I didn’t think you would,” Joan said before heading towards the door. She paused for a moment before glancing back at them. “Hey. I know you’re both probably… worried. About all of this. It probably doesn’t mean much, but trust me. I’m a lot better at all of this than I look. I’d be dead if I wasn’t.” Before they could respond, she stepped out from the room and closed it behind herself.

Joan wondered if maybe she was being a bit too casual about all this. She just couldn’t help it. It was FRANCIS. While she was excited to, possibly, figure out what set him off to eventually try and take over as the Hero, she still couldn’t take it too seriously.

The world wasn’t fated to die from this. There wasn’t some big bad god out there trying to kill her. It was just some cultists. With shadow elementals. It felt almost relaxing in comparison.

Still, she supposed she should ensure all of her equipment was still functioning correctly. The last thing she wanted was to get hurt over something so small. She’d never be able to look the Chosen in the face again if she died over that. In the end, if there was one thing no longer being the Hero had taught her, it was just how delicate she could be.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as occasional voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server. I also now have a bsky page where I announce news and releases.

35