Book 8 Chapter 21
797 14 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Joan ducked under the troll’s massive hand, dragging the tip of her blade along it and weaving around its leg. The important part, however, was that the flames enveloping the troll turned from a violent red to a soothing blue. Perfect. Once again she heard that light giggle, but she was quickly growing to adore it. Though she did wish her sword could sound a little less like it was laughing at her. The troll turned to face her, letting out an angry roar.

Yeah, yeah, I’ve heard it before,” Joan said in a mocking tone. “Not exactly the scariest thing around. I’m not going to-- eek!” She stumbled back and rolled away, barely avoiding one of the troll’s massive, flailing arms. She made a mental note, no mocking the giant troll while still within reach. “Sorry, though. I didn’t mean to make you feel so blue.” She couldn’t help it. She blamed the side of her that had been the Hero, making comments like that, even in life or death situations, just came naturally to her.

I think it’s time you got the point!” Qakog yelled, a moment before his sword pierced the back of the massive troll, sending out shards of ice. It turned and tried to swing at him, but he was already leaping away.

As cheesy as that line was, Joan couldn’t help but smile. It was nice to know she wasn’t the only one who did it. Even if he hadn’t been the Hero and really had no reason to say things like that. The distraction, however, was plenty. She enhanced her body with her magic once more before charging forward, gripping her sword firmly in both hands, she swung at its back.

The blade dug deep into the troll’s hide, causing it to let out a furious roar before swinging back at her. Joan let the sword go and tumbled back once more, summoning the sword to her hand. She couldn’t believe it. This was actually working. She saw Zorn picking up some small rocks before then throwing them at the back of the creature. Well, at least she and Qakog were working. She didn’t know why he thought--

There was a resounding boom and the troll fell forward, explosion’s echoing off its back. Joan stared at the dwarf, her mouth open. What? HOW? Just what in the world did he have that did that?

The troll gave a furious roar before it started to push off from the ground and get back to its feet. Her eyes lit up and she felt a small rush of excitement. “Qakog! Handle the left arm!” She ran at the right arm.

She dragged the tip of her sword along the ground and cast a quick, simple spell. Rock rose up and surrounded the blade, turning it into a crude, if efficient, hammer of sorts. She ran at the troll and swung with all her might, shattering the stone against the rigid arm. There was a loud, resounding crack and the arm splintered slightly, allowing her follow up spell. Water drew out from the air before flowing into the wound she’d created. After a moment the water froze into ice, shattering the arm.

A moment later there was another crack and the troll crumbled to the ground, its other arm shattered.

Maybe this wouldn’t happen if you weren’t so… obsidian!” Qakog yelled, before ice enveloped his rapier and he pierced the wounded troll’s skull. Joan quickly covered her face before it exploded from the ice, sending shards of obsidian flying.

It was only a few seconds, but they’d done it. They’d actually killed one of the obsidian trolls. Well, two now, she supposed. Three if she counted the one the elemental was fighting. They might just be able to do this! She lowered her arm and then stared at Qakog who was staring back at her in a way that, honestly, reminded her of a puppy.

Did you like that one?” Qakog asked.

What?” Joan asked.

Since, you know. They’re made of obsidian. But it’s a play on obstinate,” Qakog said. “From the play ‘The Herald’s End’, when Lord Thomme fights the hydra, before piercing the last head he yells… what?”

Joan stared at him and wondered what in the world he was talking about. “What? I’ve… never heard of it.”

That, however, made his smile fall. “You haven’t? But I thought it was a popular human’s play.” Now he looked remarkably like a kicked puppy and she couldn’t help feeling guilty.

Err, maybe after all this we can see it,” Joan said sheepishly. “Once the world isn’t on the verge of destruction, okay? It’ll be fun.”

At least that seemed to cheer him up. Maybe it wasn’t so bad. She then yelped and turned around, lifting her sword into the air. But there was no surprise attack, no titanslayer coming at her from behind. The wyverns that were fighting one had managed to defeat theirs and were now licking their wounds as it were. Her elemental was still fighting one as well.

She actually had a moment to catch her breath. Slowly she sheathed her sword before glancing down at the two troll bodies.

Never a dull moment, is there?” Bauteut asked, finally coming out from behind cover. “Any wounds?”

I, ummm, got a few cuts when it exploded,” Qakog said.

Joan?” Bauteut asked before walking to Qakog and putting a hand on his shoulder. “How about you?”

Good,” Joan said, though even she could hear the shock and confusion in her voice. She wasn’t hurt or anything. In fact, she felt pretty great. Amazing, even. Tired, but great. They actually fought an obsidian troll and won. None of her bones broke, either. “That was awesome. We actually did it! Good job, everybody. Only a thousand or so more to go.”

Not yet you’re not,” Bauteut said before giving a soft sigh. “Good job, though. Very impressive.”

Joan’s cheeks turned a little redder, though she couldn’t help grinning. “Well, they aren’t that bad once you know how to fight them. Being able to turn off their fire helps as well. I had help, too. So it wasn’t like I did it all myself.”

You know, you don’t always have to be modest,” Zorn said with a chuckle. “Slaying one or two of them may not be that impressive for a Chosen, but a couple of people like us? Not bad, if I say so myself.”

Qakog the Obsidian Shatterer,” Qakog said proudly. “Is that another title I will earn?”

If we manage to get out of this, then sure,” Joan said with a light chuckle. It really felt too easy. Like--

An angry screech filled the air. She looked up to see the third titanslayer, bloodied but flapping towards them. Of course, things really couldn’t go that well. She drew her sword and readied herself. “Okay, everyone. Get ready!”

The titanslayer dove, not at her, but at Qakog. She flicked her wrist and a knife appeared in the hand. She threw it, but the blade bounced off the demon’s hide.

Joan was suddenly staring at herself from a distance. A sword pierced through her from behind, clean through her heart. The Demon Lord behind her, holding the blade. Striking in the moment of distraction. Arta killed her. He actually killed her.

Or, at least, he would have had the amulet not activated. The copy of her stood there for a few moments before collapsing into a puddle of water. “Look out!” Joan yelled to her friends, a moment before the titanslayer struck.

Qakog and Bauteut dove to the side while Zorn quickly took cover, narrowly avoiding the great demon’s snapping claws. However, the Demon Lord turned in her direction. His eyes narrowed and he ran at her.

Joan couldn’t help feeling a tiny bit smug. It wasn’t much different from fighting Hardwin. Except he was so, so much slower. His first strike she parried with ease, quickly stepping around to his left side. He tried to keep up, swinging again but this time she easily stepped around the swing, not even blocking it. “Arta, we don’t need to fight. I’m just trying to help you.” She knocked aside his next two strikes before he held out his left hand. Fire erupted from it, enveloping her…

Only to turn blue a moment later, not even burning her. They really never learned.

Damn it,” Arta said. “Stand still you little--”

A terrible, horrible screech filled the air and pillars of flame rose high into the heavens. Arta froze, his eyes going skyward.

They’d done it.

The Chosen had done it.

The world was saved. The Inferno God was dead.

There was only one last thing to do. She grabbed the stored spell and charged at him.

Huh?” he asked, looking back towards her far too late.

The crystal shattered in her hand and the spell released, enveloping both of them in light.

Only one more person to save, then it was all over. Just one more. She just had to do a little more and they’d finally WIN!

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as occasional voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page. If you'd like to support me directly I now have a ko-fi page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server. I also now have a twitter page where I announce news and releases.

60