Chapter 9
115 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I waited 10 minutes before they all exited the room and went in; my invisibility would go down soon, so I turned it off to recharge it. I went to the computer that was isolated to download everything and searched the papers for anything incriminating.

"Who are you" I heard a growly voice say behind me.

****

Shit shit shit
I thought I checked everything; I was only wearing a hoody with a hockey mask.

I turned around and saw the Batman in the flesh. He crouched there on the window, and the movies and comics did not do his presence justice. He looked like he was covered in shadow, and his eyes were the only visible part of his body.

"What are you doing," he growled.

"N-None of your business, why does it matter what I am doing?"

Damn, even with the memories of having a full life and my older memories experiences, I can still be intimidated.

"Why are you here. What do you have to do with the Falcone's?" Batman stayed where he was and narrowed his eyes at me.

"What," I said, confused.

"Ferris Boyle is doing a job for the Falcone's. What do you have to do with them,"

"Why would you think I even have anything to do with them? I mean, we are both breaking into his office. Why would that mean I have anything to do with them?" I had signaled Steven silently. I sent him to activate code Joker.

"I am going to take you in for breaking-"

The sound of an explosion goes off close by, and insane laughter is heard.
Batman looks outside, and his mouth tightens slightly and jumps away. That was too close for comfort. If I had not prepared for this, I would have been screwed, and I didn't particularly look heroic, more like a crook. I got what I needed, reactivated my invisibility, and jumped out the window after hooking window makers grappling hook on the next building.

"Thank you, Steven. That was too close a call. Why did you not tell me when he was at the window."

"The Widowmakers infra sight doesn't work when focused on Batman. I could see you but only knew about Batman when you used the emergency signal."

"Okay, let go home. Before that, though, make sure you use Sombra's glove and EMP on us both. In case we got bug by Batman, which would be his usual MO." I got down from the building and landed next to Steven.

"Alright, brace." Steven dropped the Emp and brought up Sombra's glove to check us over. It looked like both of us were bugged.

I threw all 4 of the bugs away. I couldn't take the risk of taking it with us, It would have been a nice piece of tech to examine. We left and headed back to base.

"Fern, have you got everything?" I asked, having used Sombra's glove to send the information to him.

"Yes, we are free to set everything up for his fall from grace and to get Fries in place."

****
The Gotham Times

CEO of GothCorp defrauds Company. Ferris Boyle was arrested for defrauding investors in a $123m scheme and Threatening shareholders with Mob Connections.

The former executive allegedly secured millions from investors based on fake financial statements. Ferris Boyle was arrested in Nevada, the US Department of Justice (DoJ) and US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) said on Thursday.

The 43-year-old is the co-founder of start-up GS8, an organization that touts an intelligence-driven platform for detecting fraud. However, according to US prosecutors, fraud has been taking place at the top level for some time.

Boyle allegedly fabricated financial data and statements to make it appear that the company was generating substantial revenue from its clients. As the former CEO had access to a bank account used to deposit customer payments, he was able to tamper with bank statements before they were sent to the GS8 financial department for processing.

See also: Black Hat: When penetration testing earns you a felony arrest record

Together with spreadsheet manipulation, Boyle added "tens of millions of dollars in both customer revenue and bank balances that did not exist," the DoJ says, from January 2004 to February 2005.
It is estimated that between 40% and 95% of assets shown on these statements were fake -- such as the inclusion of over $40 million in fictitious revenue -- and these fraudulent statements were shown to investors.

Faced with a seemingly promising start-up enjoying high revenue levels, investors were then lured to part with roughly $123 million during at least two securities offerings. A subsequent tender offer ensured that Boyle personally pocketed $17.5 million.

An investigation by the FBI tipped off by an anonymous source led to the former CEO's arrest. Boyle is now being charged with securities fraud, fraud in the offer and sale of securities, and wire fraud in Gotham federal court. Securities and wire fraud charges can lead to up to 20 years in prison, while fraud in security sales and offers carries up to a five-year penalty. Charges of threatening shareholders and investors with Mob connections carry 15 years.

Read on page 3.

***
I got communication in the morning that our study group needed to meet up. I got dressed and set off after saying bye to the Reverend. The Reverend absentmindedly said bye, and I shot off.
I got to school, and at lunchtime, I got them together asked.

"What's the problem, Anna," I appointed Anna as the group's spokesperson because she was careful and smart due to her family being Bertinelli.

"The Crime Families are calling all their connections and are about to go to War. They are calling their allies and taking sides. Gotham is going to be a warzone soon."

"Why! What brought this on?" You don't remember if this happened in the comics, but something was going on.

"Ferris Boyle was confessing to the police, and he was naming names, the Bertinelli family had him killed in custody. Boyle was under the Russian mafia, and they will be going after the Crime family's assets. The other gangs are taking advantage of the chaos."

"What do we do now?"

"Our families are sending us outside Gotham for a few weeks. At least until this gang war dies down."

We finished talking about what we were going to do and giving each other advice on what to do and how to keep safe. I left to go to the toilet so I could have privacy to talk into the network.

"Steven, Fern, Ben. It would be best if you guys let your families know what is going on and stay indoors or leave Gotham for a few weeks."

6