Chapter 10
129 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We finished talking about what we were going to do and giving each other advice on what to do and how to keep safe. I left to go to the toilet so I could have privacy to talk into the network.

"Steven, Fern, Ben. You guys need to let your families know what is going on and stay indoors or leave Gotham for a few weeks."

****

I went back to the church, dreading the conversation I was going to have, to convince the Reverend to leave Gotham for the gang war duration.
I doubted that he was going to listen. He was a good man but very stubborn as well.

"Jack, you need to leave Gotham," I said, closing the door to his office.

"Noah? Did something happen?" He asked, confused.

"Yes, I just got word that two of the major gangs are going to go to war with each other from some of my schoolmates," I sat down as he finished signing a few papers that were on his desk and gave me his full attention.

"Noah… I have lived in Gotham my whole life and through several gang wars. I will not run away with my tail between my legs. Gotham is my home." He said sternly.

"B-but you could lose your life this time! It's the Bertinelli that acting, and you should know then what happened last time. The vulture gangs are going to take advantage of all this mess!" I could feel my heart clenching. I did not want to lose the only other person left, who was my parental figure. I may have memories of my alternate selves' parents, but the Reverend was mine.

"Even if I lose my life, Noah. I will be losing it in the service of our lord. I do not fear death, Noah. I am an old man. I have lived a full life. Why aren't you leaving yourself?" He looked at me knowingly.

"What do you mean? I am going to head up to metropolis." I said nervously.

"Noah… I know something is different about you now. I know you have some way to heal more quickly. I treated you, and I know how long a broken bone and injuries you had would heal, but you were up in a week? You have a purpose now. I raised you for the past four years, and for the first 3, you were listless. The scholarship? Why would they choose you? There is a lot of inconsistency, and even though you are young, Noah, your maturity has gone up a lot. Noah, I care about you and whatever you are planning, remember you can tell me."

"I-I-I," I was speechless.

I had thought I got away with it, but it turns out he knew all along. I don't know if I should be honest with him right now.

"Don't worry, Noah, you do not have to tell me right now. I hope that you understand that you can trust me."

****
I went back to our Headquarters, the designated apartment with Sombras computer. I needed to work on some of Symmetra's tech to distract myself. I still hadn't figured out how I would get some of the materials I needed for hard-light tech.

I finally got Victor to contest the CEO of GothCorp, and results would have to wait until he could take over the position and get us in contact with other corporations that specialized in material science.

Nora Fries asked us if she could work with us. She wanted in because her husband was working for us and when she last checked, her workplace had fired her for missing work even though they should have known that she was in the hospital. It just goes to show how bad Gotham was and when we told her our goals, she wanted in even more.

She and Victor almost had their first argument because he wanted her to have a regular job and not be involved with Gotham's underbelly, which we would be a part of. Victor finally conceded when she reminded him that originally that she almost died anyway because of his old boss and how this was Gotham and that nowhere is safe.

She was working as our secretary/co-ordinator when Fern wasn't available to co-ordinate. She managed to organize a few safe houses for us and those we care about. I was going to in the future arrange some safe houses that were not dependant on Nora.

I made Orisa's fusion driver and used that to power Symmetra's hard-light technology and built an underground safe house separate from Nora. It took me a couple of weeks to build it, but it was as safe as I could make it.
****
It was time to make stealth wear for myself, and I decided to go with a basic trench coat with a large hood that I had many gadgets in it and Sombra's symbol for a mask. It was going to be a very profitable couple of weeks if everything went well. I hear a ping and notice Fern calling over the network.

"Noah, we need to hit the Visconti family. I won't let those fuckers succeed." Fern was Eager to get revenge on them and this would be the perfect time to do it. We could blame a different gang on it once the Bertinelli's start attacking and other gangs try to take advantage of the chaos.

"Okay, we will wait for the Bertinelli's movement, then we hit them,"

"Thank you, Noah. I appreciate you doing this for me. I don't think I would've been able to avenge my parents without you."

"You're welcome, Fern. You know your parents were family to me."

I hung up the call then continued making my gear and gadgets that I would need for the upcoming war. I made sure to tell them to let me know what type of costumes they would want and planned to make it as soon as possible. It wouldn't take more than a week, plenty of time.

5