Stories Begin (Arc 3 Finale Prelude)
145 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Arron was a fresh graduate of a well to-do university, but as he tried to get funding for his projects he was rejected at every corner. He wasn't content to live off of his parent's funds, no matter how happy they were to provide for him while he tried to get off the ground. Which is how he ended up entering The Ark Organization Land-Borne Militia, a group dedicated to protecting the peace, much like the police, only their scope expanded to cover the entire nation.

The only issue was, as much as he tried, he just wasn't cut out for the rough exercise. He had a lot of drive though, firmly being the type to believe in working your hardest, and that one day you'll be paid back in kind. Even if his degree in genetics couldn't be applied, he could still apply himself.

"Look Arron, I've seen you out there, you can fire a gun, you can keep up the pace with all the rest of them, but we both know you're not doing too hot. You wake up groggy, and don't think I see you limping once your platoon is resting. You aren't cut out for this" The General said, talking with Arron. He had been overseeing his group himself, due to The Higher Ups deciding to work on morale, they believed it would be effective if generals and commanders talked directly to their squad mates. Gareth just wished he didn't have to tell the kid he didn't have what it took, he was dedicated, but dedication couldn't fix a lack of muscles or training.

"I know that sir, I refuse to quit though. I don't have any jobs lined up, or that I feel comfortable taking. I want to help my country, and if I can't do it through science, I'll do it through hard work" Arron said, bowing his head as he sighed. Knowing that the man's words were true, his shoulders were killing him from carrying the equipment everyday, and his legs damn near gave out at the end of every march. Sheer willpower is what spurred him on to keep up, and it wasn't unlikely he may just make himself keel over if he kept it up.

"You have a degree in genetics right? It's impressive, and rather niche" Gareth says, looking at the soldier in front of him, clearly more of a scientist than a rough worker. "Look, Arron, some people just aren't made for being a soldier. You've got will power, but not the muscle behind it. I do feel sorry you can't find a job that puts your skills to the test but..." Gareth trailed off, looking down "Give me a second" he said, standing up and taking his phone out from his jacket pocket.

Arron nodded "Yes sir" he said, saluting as he walked out. He knew the general was right, he should just quit while he's still alive, take this as a learning experience, and try again to look for a job, or funding. He sat back in his chair, defeated and tired as he waited for his superior officer to come back in.

Cruz sat up, saluting Gareth as he came back in, only for the general to put his hand down "No need for salutations anymore Arron. You've been promoted" he said. 

Arron stared at him "Er, pro-promoted? Just like that? I doubt it's a military position right?" he asked, eyes widening as he pulled his hadn back and stood up.

"The higher ups have expressed interest in the pursuit of genetic evolution in plants, and...people. This project is just a concept right now, but it matches with your own thesis right? The Pursuit of Genetic Perfection, and How It May Be Attainable. Pretty wordy title" Gareth said "I was required to read it as part of looking over your file" the man said. "So, you're coming to HQ with me, as of right now, you're technically promoted to a researcher, and if The Higher Ups like you, expect it to become permanent" he said.

Arron nodded "Y-yes s...Um...thanks Gareth, thanks a lot for this opportunity" he said, shaking the man's outstretched hand before following him out to get to The Ark HQ. The mere fact his thesis interested this man, a local legend, and that The Higher Ups, the leaders of The Ark, may just find his work useful. Made Arron much more excited and ready to try his hardest again, despite the soreness of his body.


James was not the most, engaging of The Higher Ups. He grew to power just from being a competent soldier, and eventually ran for office, and was elected into the board alongside the others. Some where on their second term, one was even on their fifth, but he was the only one on their first. So he wanted to prove himself competent. 

When Gareth, one of the generals listed as 'master veteran' called, he had his secretary patch him through right away. "You've reached James Kari, Higher Up of The Ark. This, better be good Gareth" he says, adopting his best tough tone he can, even talking to a legend he couldn't afford to be soft.

"Sir, I would like to know, are positions still open for the genetic evolution project? Positions for a scientist, to be specific" Gareth asked. He knew about this project as he was approached about signing onto it to undergo the first trials, but he declined. 

"Well, Gareth, as a matter of fact there is, you could just talk to the secretary about that though. Why, call and ask for me specifically about this?" James said, listening closely as he leaned back in his own chair, holding the phone.

"The scientist is one Arron Cruz, he published a thesis on something related to genetics and even has a degree in it. He's currently a soldier under my command, but he just isn't good at it. He wants to help his country, but can't find a job, you see what I am asking for right sir? I called you, since to be honest, I assumed you were the leader on this current project. You were the one handling all those people asking for me anyway" Gareth admitted, answering James question.

"Yeah well, currently, it's looking like I might be. The others don't think there's much hope for it. I can, pull a few strings and get him a temp position as a researcher then right away. He's going to have to earn a permanent one though Gareth. If you think he's qualified, I'm not going to argue" James said, the others? They called this project a waste of funds currently, but, they didn't yet cut it off, because the current concept was intriguing. 

"Thank you sir, I will be bringing him with me then for check in, and he can start right away" Gareth said, waiting for his higher up to dismiss him.

"Alright, I await your two's arrival then" he hung up, rubbing his eyes before quickly making more calls. He would bank on this Arron fellow, he would put all his chips behind the genetic evolution project, and when it yielded fruit, he'd be the one who was all behind it.


Gareth, that was a name pretty much everyone knew. Gareth Alos, on the other hand, was not a name many people put to the general, the officer of The Ark. Since it was he always preferred his full name to distance himself from his work. 

Gareth made his mark in the military by undertaking the mission of rescuing his platoon from an ambush. He realized the signs quickly enough, and had them prepare for the inevitable jumping. Once it happened, he lead them to take out the ambushers with no causalities on their side. This earned him more respect, and he only continued to impress as time went on.

Gareth Alos was an only child, he went to school, had two good parents, and overall did great in gym class. He wasn't interested in too much though, until the day a military instructor came to his high-school to talk about the military. He decided to dedicate himself to that, and one year after graduating, he tried out. It was hell, but he got in.

Gareth was the fresh meat, despite his cleverness and perception, people thought he would be weak once pushed to the brink. So even in the comradery of the military, there were a few who just loved to pushed his buttons. After a week or two of this though, he finally snapped. The three men who had been chiding him and annoying him ended up in the infirmary with a broken shoulder, a couple snapped fingers, and one even had his stomach bruised heavily. He wasn't lectured heavily, but he was given a stern warning.

Gareth Alos was the young man who hated when people talked down to him, thought of him as weak, so he pushed himself with training, even on days off or when he was off duty he kept up a routine. He ate healthy, he trained hard and made sure to do it in a way that he kept his muscles lean and packed. He didn't need to be buff, he needed to be strong. He didn't even realize just how close he was to human limits until he beat up three men he just couldn't stand anymore rather easily.

Gareth, and Gareth Alos, was the man who turned down genetic evolution. To him, what could be gained from modifying stuff in his own body? He had realized his own strength, it was high, very high, and he honestly thought there wasn't much that could be done to pump that up further. It may sound pretentious, but he trained hard, and beyond learning a bunch of martial arts, he wasn't going to be getting straight up stronger anytime soon.

This same man, now a general, was the one who took pity on Arron, his soldier, knowing that the man just needed a time to shine and show his worth. So he called his higher up, hoping his pedigree would speak for itself, and it did. Now he just had to hope that he wouldn't regret this. He had been freshly promoted, and couldn't lose the position now.

5